Chapter 4 : Meeting the New Boss

HOPE HAS A PLACE

 

Monday morning, employees being called to assemble in the boardroom for an emergency meeting, worried and speculating, they know that in the last five years Anderson Group of Companies are not doing very well especially the Agricultural side of the business.

Kim being keep in darkness as to what is going on, she is worried, not only for herself but for her entire Department. Being the Chief Operation Officer she perfectly aware of the company’s financial standing and marketing plan in the next five years to come.

After few months of medical leave, Don Randy Anderson, owner and CEO / Chairman of the company, call an emergency meeting without letting her know. Very anxious Kim trying to see what is going on inside the CEO office which closed door meeting is currently going. She was surprise when suddenly the door opens, and Gina came out rushing to make some copy of the document she is holding using the big Xerox photocopier along the hall way. She intently studies Gina’s face but no trace of worries or anxiety she can find. She turns her head and sees inside the office to check who the people Don Randy are meeting with. Her eyes meet with the old man, who gives her smile, sweet smile and wave at her. Tall huge back facing her which she can’t figure and Donya Vangie who is also present are among the people she can recognize. Vangie move to meet her outside and she close the door behind her.

Kim, how are you anak?

Tita, what is going on? Is there something I should know or should be aware, why I am not included in the meeting? If you and Tito decided to sell the company, don’t you think I should be the first one to know considering I am the Chief Operating Officer?

Kim, there is nothing you should be worried about. Everything is for the best. I am sorry I can’t tell you right now just trust me.

But Tita, the employees are very anxious right now.

Okay, maybe you can gather everyone and assure them that no one is losing their jobs and everything after this is for everyone’s benefit. Only good things is about to happen.

I’ll try my best but not giving anything stronger na panghahawakan ng employee, that’s a very hard task you are asking me to do.

Skeptical but went anyway, Kim gather and calm everyone inside the boardroom.

Randy, honey matagal pa ba yan? Masyado na nag aalala ang mga employee, pati si Kim worried na din. She is wondering kung bakit hindi siya kasama sa meeting na ito.

Mama, malapit na, we are just waiting for attorney to sign and finalized para announced na din ang bagong structure ng company. Ako ang bahala kay Kim, ever since naman very inpatient ang babae na iyan.

C’mon Gerald, she has all the reason to be anxious and inpatient, she is the COO of this company for heaven sake and she has no clue what is going on. Ewan ko ba bakit pumayag si Papa mo sa suggestion mo na huwag ipaalam kay Kim ang pag take over mo sa company.

Okay, kayong dalawa ang inpatient, ito na tapos na. Okay, Gina paki dala na ng documents and we’ll be behind you.

Papa, si Mama lang. We have to admit na pag dating kay Kim, she can’t be sensible.

I don’t care what you say Gerald Randolph Anderson Jr. , I love Kim and there is nothing you say that would change that. Someday…. Someday…mag baliktad tayo ng paningin. And mark my words, because when that day come, you’ll come to me on your knee begging for my help…then she walk out while giving her son a mockery smile.

Okay Mama, whatever you say. Weird……………. Hmmm

Don Randy starts the meeting with all the employees. Good morning everyone. My apologies if we took too long. Gusto ko lang ma i-plastar ang lahat para madali sa ating lahat ang pagbabago na ito. My medical condition is not a big secret to everyone, all of you knows that I am suffering from a Chronic Emphysema Disease. At my age and my condition, I have decided to retire. Everyone in the room panic and ask so many question.

Wait everyone! Let me finish. Then everyone went to silent again.

For months now, I try to convince one person that I think is very appropriate and capable to take over and run this company. Not until last month that He accepted my offer. When I and my wife talked about my retirement, the first thing that comes to our mind is what is going to happen to the company and the people. We prayed and our prayers have been answered. So today, we are going to bring a new blood to the company, along with few new alignments within. No one will lose their job, few will be moving up and as we agreed under the new management, increase in compensation will be seriously look at and to be considered. In the next few days, changes will continue to happen; slowly day by day people concerned will be called to discuss with them their new assignment. As we are facing the transition, I am asking everyone for their full support and cooperation. I am not doing away; I’ll be home and still be available for consultation unless otherwise my Lord wants me to go home. There is no relocation, everything and everyone stays where they are. Office workers and farm workers continue to live in their respected company houses for free unless of course if they decided to move out and work somewhere else.

Everyone is quite, teary eyed but also in excitement, except for Kim. Somehow, she has this wild feeling but she doesn’t want to keep her hopes up.

So, today, we will mark in this company my retirement, as I step down, I would like to bring in into your service, the boy who turn into an amazing man, a good son, a friend and an amazing businessman of his generation. Everyone, I would like to bring in Mr. Gerald Randolph Anderson Jr. my one and only son to take over my position and ownership of Anderson’s Group of Companies.

Everyone was shocked and howling, so happy that after more than ten years that they haven’t seen the shadow of the only heir, finally decided to take charge. After all they are still in good hands. People start coming and give the Anderson their hug and wishes, except for Kim who got stock in the corner of the room still in shocked.

Gerald busy shaking hands and greeting people, he tries to move around going to the direction where Kim was standing. She got her back facing Him while getting a coffee; she got surprise when a strong hand squeezes her right shoulder.

How are you Kim? It is really nice to see you.

Hello Gerald, I am good. It is nice to see you too… So, my new boss! Welcome aboard Sir! While offering her hand for a handshake and Gerald took gladly.  Assuming I still got my position. Then give Gerald a smile.

Thank you. Wow so formal! Then smile back. With regards to changes, I haven’t seen it yet so I have no idea, what my father was talking about. I’ll call a meeting in two hours so we all are in one page, from there we go.

No problem just let me know what you need from so I can prepare everything that you need to know in my department.

Thanks Kim, I probably going to need the Operation Report in the last five years, for a start, and if you can give me the updated list of employee in each department.

The report I can give you, as for the list of the employee, you can ask Gina for that. Personal is the best department to ask. Okay Mr. Anderson, welcome again and looking forward to work with you. Then she walks away.

Few steps away, when Gerald calls her name, Kim…. it’s really nice to see you. She just smiles and continues.