Chapter 2

Do You Even Lift?

Jongdae’s Tuesday is going pretty well.  Well, except for the butterflies in his stomach from thinking about Minseok.  His nervousness over his upcoming love confession still looms over him like a dark raincloud. 

 

However, this slightly queasy feeling subsides after he enters choir class early to enjoy the rare free period only to be called outside by his choir teacher Mr. Kim.  Mr. Kim, a young man who couldn’t be older than 30, tells Jongdae how he was pleased to announce the good news that he would be giving his star student a significant solo part for the upcoming spring concert (the last one of his high school career!).  He wanted to tell Jongdae in advance so the high-schooler had ample time to perfect his parts along with tackling any classwork remaining in his other classes.  Mr. Kim also explained why he had skipped over Jongdae for the solo part during the past winter concert in favor of selecting Baekhyun.  Baekhyun, being competitive with his singing skills like Jongdae, had rubbed it in and bragged to Jongdae about it any chance he got, much to Jongdae’s disappointment.  And yes, Baekhyun was amazing, but Jongdae secretly knew that he was the best in the class, even ahead of his talented best friend.

 

Jongdae profusely thanked Mr. Kim in sudden understanding.

 

“Thank you so much, Mr. Kim!  I’ll definitely practice and give my all!” Jongdae said, beaming widely.

 

“I know you’ll go great places with that voice of yours, Jongdae, even if this is just a hobby.  The entire student body already knows of your immense singing capabilities, and with this solo, you’ll definitely give the senior class the high note to the end of their high school careers, both literally and figuratively,” mused Mr. Kim.

 

“Lets hope so.  I’m still nervous about the future though,” Jongdae said with apprehension evident in his voice.

 

“You’ll do fine, Jongdae!  I hope to keep in touch with you and Baekhyun during the future.  I’ve seen you and Baekhyun grow so much as artists in the four years you have been in my class.  Since I won’t be teaching you anymore, add me on Facebook the moment you graduate, okay?  Jonghyun Kim, got it?” joked Mr. Kim.

 

“Oh, I definitely will!  Thanks again!” said Jongdae.

 

“Enjoy the free period.  We’ll get back to practicing next week,” Mr. Kim said.

 

The two walked back into the room, and Jongdae made his way back to his seat.

 

“Are you in trouble?  Mr. Kim was talking to you for a long time out there,” Baekhyun asked, poking Jongdae in the (high) cheekbone.

 

Jongdae swatted Baekhyun’s long and elegant finger away.  “No, Baekhyun.  I just got the big news that I’m getting the solo for the spring concert!” Jongdae announced.

 

“Wow, that’s great, dude!  I mean, I would have done it better, but you know, Mr. Kim needs to balance the dishing of solos out and help me preserve my voice,” Baekhyun said jokingly, sincere expression of happiness obvious on his face.

 

“Thanks, Baekhyun.  Oh, and I’ve decided on something else,” Jongdae said.

 

“Hmm?  What is it?” Baekhyun looked at Jongdae in interest.

 

“I’m confessing to Minseok tomorrow,” Jongdae whispered.  “After weight training, in the locker room.”

 

Baekhyun gaped at Jongdae, jaw slack and eyes wide.  “No, I wouldn’t do that if I were you.  I mean, not the confessing part, that part is okay, but the confession being in the locker room,” Baekhyun stated.

 

“And why is that?” Jongdae quirked a perfectly arched eyebrow up in curiosity.

 

 “Because-- you know what, that’s exactly why Chanyeol told you not to look at Minseok’s Facebook profile,” Baekhyun sighed.

 

“Again, why?” Jongdae asked in growing annoyance.

 

“Just--- oh look, there’s the object of your desire making googly eyes at you again for like the millionth time,” Baekhyun said, hurriedly changing the subject and looking at the window of the choir room door.

 

“What?” Jongdae said, following Baekhyun’s gaze.

 

There at the door’s window was Minseok staring directly at Jongdae.  Upon realizing that he had been spotted by the person he had come to look at in secret, Minseok’s eyes widened greatly.  He turned and disappeared from the door and ran down the hallway.  The sound of muffled footsteps hurrying away from the classroom and Kyungsoo’s shouts of “No running!” followed by the said hall monitor sprinting to catch Minseok was all Jongdae could see and hear over the murmurs of the rest of the class.

 

“That is the first time he ran away though,” Baekhyun mused.  Jongdae’s eyes narrowed in confusion and deep thought.

 

“Wait, what do you mean ‘the millionth time’?” Jongdae, asked, using air quotes for emphasis.

 

“Oh, right, I totally forgot to tell you.  Minseok normally peeks into the choir room when you’re here and just stares at you for like 20 minutes before being shooed away by hall monitor Kyungsoo.  Sometimes he gets dragged away by the ear, which is hilarious.  It’s a daily occurrence.  He’s been doing it since October.  I’m surprised you didn’t notice,” Baekhyun nonchalantly replied.

 

“No, I didn’t, Baekhyun.  You know how focused I get while singing!  I even close my eyes sometimes.  Also, you didn’t think to tell me I had an admirer for three months?  What if I had been stalked and murdered by him on my way home, Baek?  Who would put up with your and Chanyeol’s crazy antics?” Jongdae said in exasperation.

 

“Jeez, Dae, relax.  Minseok is totally not like that.  I mean, he probably could kill you if he wanted to, but he’s totally nice.  Believe me, I should know,” Baekhyun chuckled.  “He works out at the same gym as Yeollie and I.  We sometimes talk and spot each other on the bench press.  He is definitely stronger than he looks.”

 

“Wait, wait, what?  You work out with him?  And you know he kinda likes me yet you or Chanyeol never told me?  Baek, I could have been dating him for a while now and avoid you and Chanyeol’s overly cheesy displays of affection,” Jongdae shoots back.

 

“I--,” Baekhyun sighs.  “I didn’t want to lose you to a boyfriend so early on in our senior year, Dae.  I wanted to make sure you were ready and make sure that Minseok wasn’t going to do anything bad to you.  Yeollie and I wanted to make sure Minseok was as pure and kind as he appears to be.  Consider it an extreme examination.  We were going to tell you about Minseok next month after midwinter recess.  I know we should have told you earlier, though.  I’m sorry,” Baekhyun said, pouting and giving sad eyes to Jongdae after giving Jongdae his confession and apology.

 

“Aww, Baek.  I’m not mad.  Sure, I wish you would have told me sooner.  But knowing that Minseok passes you and Chanyeol’s strict dating standards makes me feel good about pursuing him.  You guys are like another set of parents, always wanting what is best for me.  Thank you, Baekhyun.  I really mean it,” Jongdae says solemnly.  

 

“Jongdae, you’re going to make me cry.  Yes, Yeollie and I give you my permission to get together with Minseok.” Baekhyun said warmly.

 

“Thanks, Baek. I knew I could trust my childhood friends,” Jongdae said.

 

“I don’t want Minseok to have to suffer through Kyungsoo’s ear pulling anymore.  He’s earned my trust.  But definitely use protection when you guys do the naughty because we don’t need little mistakes running around.  I don’t want to be babysitting so soon,” Baekhyun joked, winking at Jongdae for good measure.

 

As quickly as the tender moment between friends had been created, it was ruined by one of Baekhyun’s corny jokes.  Jongdae (lovingly) shoved Baekhyun off his seat, and Baekhyun cursed as he attempted to right himself, cheeks turning a bright red in embarrassment as everyone turned around to stare at him as Jongdae cackled.

 

 

*****

 

 

After another boring day of classes, Jongdae walked back home deep in thought, wondering about his and Baekhyun’s conversation in choir.  He prepared himself a snack in the kitchen and began studying for tomorrow’s economics exam like the diligent student he was.

 

What did Baekhyun mean by not confessing to Minseok in the locker room?  Is he slightly pudgy? wondered Jongdae.  No, that doesn’t make sense.  He’s been working out longer than Baekhyun and Chanyeol.  Wait, does this mean---

 

Jongdae scrambled in realization to his iPhone that was charging in his bedroom and quickly opened the Facebook app.  Economics could wait.  He typed ‘Minseok Kim’ into the search box and clicked on the profile that stated he was attending the same high school as Jongdae.  After looking at Minseok’s cute profile picture in a fluffy white woolen sweater (which Jongdae stared at longer than he would admit), he scrolled down to see Minseok’s other posted pictures.  What he saw shocked him. 

 

There, in all of the grainy photo’s dimly lit glory, were multiple photos of Minseok’s 8-pack abs and well chiseled arms staring back at him.  Jongdae’s nervousness about asking Minseok out on a date returned with a fierce vengeance at the prospect of being laughed at and beat up by this muscled being.  However, the next photo Jongdae came to was of Minseok holding a fluffy white bunny, seeming volunteering at the animal shelter.  The next post was an album from when Minseok brought his tutoring group out for ice cream and was smiling his signature gummy smile at the camera while surrounded by small elementary school children.  This was in stark contrast to the almost sinful half photographs Jongdae just saw.  And the post after that one?  Back to young Asian male stripper.

 

Jongdae found himself falling in love with the different sides to Minseok.  Having a great body and wanting to be so involved with the community touched his heart.  And now he knew why Baekhyun and Chanyeol hadn’t wanted him to confess to Minseok in the locker room.  With this new (and stunning) knowledge, Jongdae resolved to confess to Minseok after economics when the class had cleared out.  That was his last period, and Mrs. Choi left the room faster than half of the class.  With a satisfied smirk, Jongdae exited the Facebook app and went back to his snack and economics study guide.  With a confidence booster from his weight training class tomorrow, Jongdae would be ready to give his sincere confession to Minseok.  Wednesday couldn’t come soon enough.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AN: Hi, guys! Again, thank you to the new subscribers who want to even read this story! Also, hello to all new readers! This is a short chapter (about 1,700 words) and nothing much happened besides Baekhyun's talk with Jongdae and Minseok's surprise muscles. The next chapter should be up soon, and that is where the big confession happens! Please comment, upvote, and subscribe if you like. Also, I quickly have learned that I love comments! Comments help me to see what parts excite my readers the most. If you guys want to say something, even if it's a favorite line from the story or general comment about the chapter or story as a whole, please do post it! I strive to reply to everyone who comments.