I. Miles

Yours

I. Jaebum and Jinyoung (miles)

 

It all happened too fast — as quickly as developments happen in movies or in novels, but this ain’t movie or novel. Jaebum was a driver and Jinyoung was a passenger. The affair was all too easy to predict — it can’t happen.

 

Jaebum was just sitting on the bar of the cruise ship he was a captain at, taking his break nicely without thinking about the seventeen days more he needs to be away from home. Don’t get him wrong. He loves the sea. That’s probably the main reason why he decided to become a captain, because the sea offers an endless beauty and possibility no building in the city can give him. But these days, with his father passing away and his mother being all alone, he just couldn’t seem to find the peace he has always been finding when he goes to his trips.

 

Meanwhile, Jinyoung was a free soul. He was an accomplished professor at one of the most prestigious universities in the city but he couldn’t seem to settle anywhere. His mind and his heart kept on dragging him somewhere, believing that it might belong somewhere. He was sitting across Jaebum on the bar when they first met.

 

There were almost no words.

 

“Hi,” Jaebum had said.

 

“Hi, right back at you,” Jinyoung answered with a puzzled, but nevertheless, pretty smile.

 

They found themselves at Jaebum’s suite, and touching. They found themselves surrendering to the warmth of each other, enveloping the other’s dreams and pain. They found themselves in the arms of the other and they woke up like that. It has been seventeen days of romance and excitement for the two men.

 

But the ship has to dock.

 

Jaebum didn’t want to say goodbye. He has never been great in saying goodbye. He just said his permanent goodbye to his father a couple of months ago. He didn’t want to say another too quick, too fast. He didn’t want to say it.

 

So Jinyoung has to. Because they knew this relationship has always been an impossible one for the both of them.

 

Jaebum has to go — and Jinyoung will have to stay, regardless. It will be miles away from each other, several countries and seas separating him from him. It will be sleepless nights when they call each other because of different timezones. It will be blood, sweat and tears to cultivate a long distance relationship. It will be difficult. And neither was sure if it will be worth it.

 

He was smiling the last time he touched Jaebum’s hand. Because Jaebum was strong and he was a beautiful human being, even though he has bottom pits inside him like everyone else does. Somehow, as much as he wanted to get it done quickly, the words won’t come out of his mouth. It’s like there’s something he wants to say besides goodbye and he didn’t know know.

 

“It can work,” Jaebum suddenly said, his eyes with a mixture of determination and anxiety. But the words had come out.

 

And those were the words Jinyoung wanted to say, hoped to hear. He couldn’t help grinning, “What?” He wanted to hear him say those words again.

 

“It can work,” Jaebum repeated. “This can work. We can work.” This time, he, too, was smiling because Jinyoung was smiling at him and was still holding his hand and it was perfect. There was nothing he wanted to say more than this now. “Jinyoung, I know seventeen days is such a short time but I don’t want to regret this. I don’t,” he was shaking his head, shaking the uncertainties out.

 

He looked up at Jinyoung and asked, “Do you?”

 

Jaebum didn’t need to ask. “I don’t,” Jinyoung told him. Then, he nodded, “It can work. This can work. We can work.”

 

It was unlike any other stories. It happened fast but the number of days never proved to be the only variable in a love story that will last, or the thousand of miles the two had to bear between them because they love each other.

 

It was difficult. It was gut wrenching to say goodbye every time and like before, Jaebum still wasn’t used to it. He didn’t want to. But each time he said goodbye to Jinyoung, there was a kiss and a comfortable embrace he knew he would come back after a long trip. And with each kiss and hug with Jaebum, Jinyoung was sure he belonged somewhere — right there in Jaebum’s arms, with Jaebum, together with Jaebum.

 

For all of time.

 

A/N:

This story is for matokiiggy for correctly guessing the story I was talking about at The Story (Jaebum x Jinyoung / Jimin x Jungkook), and for those people out there who defies the stigma that long distance relationships just don't work or can't last. Salute to you, guys! Make it work. Prove them wrong. - EK