Chapter 6: We're not Friends

I'm Just Another Bystander
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

         I couldn't help but stare at his somewhat foreign smile, I never imagined I'll be able to see it in school, let alone actually cause the smile. Sure he was smiling because he was mocking me but he always mocks me and he never seemed to "enjoy it" this much before. He caught me staring at his face in our moment of silence and abruptly cleared his throat which made me snap out of my daze. I cleared my throat as well and looked away as if I wasn't paying deep attention to him this whole time.

         "Look, I understand I'm an idol and I'm handsome and all that, but you really have to try harder to hide your affection for me," he said as if he had actual pity in voice and rested his hand on my shoulder.

         "Tch," I shook my shoulder until he moved his hand away, "You really have a big imagination, don't you, Taemin? You wish I was your little fangirl." With that, I got up and grabbed my purse to slug it on my shoulders before leaving the room but not before I made sure to give him an obvious eye roll. I smiled in success after hearing him sigh, happy to know that I actually got a reaction out of him.

         Since school was over I figured that Taemin wouldn't bother me to 'not leave him alone' and I could go back to my own solitary confinement in peace. Something tugged on me in my thoughts and I peeked over my shoulder to see if anybody was following but all I caught a glimpse of was Taemin also walking back home in the opposite direction. His footsteps stopped as if something tugged him to and I quickly turned around to continue my journey home.

 

         My mom's parked car in the driveway made it obvious that she was home early today. Even though I couldn't remember when was the last time I had actually had a decent conversation with her, especially since everything has happened, I didn't feel like having any mommy-daughter time today. As soon as I entered the house I went onto a straight and narrow path towards my room.

         "Hyunae! How was school to-" the sound of my door slamming echoed down the hall, "day..."

         I let out a heavy sigh while plopping down onto the bed. I used to immediately open up my backpack and start studying when I got home from school, but all I've been doing lately was lying on my back as I pieced together that day's events. Today's events were I tried to ditch school, got punished from up above by The Twins for ditching school, and saw Taemin smile. As I dawned on the occurrences that happened, Taemin's stupid grin kept flashing before everything. Even when I heard my stomach growl and began to wonder what should I eat, somehow someway his the up-turned corners of his lips came into play. I rolled over onto my stomach to scream into my pillow out of annoyance. 

         "No, why am I thinking so much about him. This isn't right!" I rose up like the monster came alive and let out another deep sigh. I could gradually see why Taemin became an idol - I mean, appearance wise at least. Girls nowadays found that pretty boy crap to be attractive or something like that but that wasn't just it, he truly had a bright smile when it was shown. "No! Stop it right now, Hyunae!"

         "Hyun, sweetheart, are you okay in there?" I could hear my mom calling from down the hall. Just how loud was I talking to myself?

         "Yea um, I'm alright mother. Just peachy," I tried to sell my lie. Hopefully she bought it since she didn't say anything else. 

         I decided to get up from the bed and pace around my room a bit, thinking that maybe the walking will help clear my thoughts. Thinking about Taemin more than anything now just wasn't right. Just a few days ago, him and I were total strangers. Never even asked each other for a spare pencil. And now he's basically everywhere to me. I'm not used to any sort of "clinginess". I went through all my years of school keeping to myself, staying out of people's business and just focused on my grades. The less people you hang around, the less drama you're involved in so I hung around none. Now I share words with one other person and everything is becoming 180. However, even though everything was uncomfortable I still couldn't come to the conclusion to just simply push Taemin away and ignore him forever. There was something...alleviating about speaking out my thoughts every once in a while instead of having them boggled in my head. I climbed into my bed again and brought my pillow close to me as if I was hugging somebody.

         "Maybe...everything won't turn out to be so bad," I mumbled to myself before drifting off to sleep without even having my dinner.

         

         The next morning I woke up early enough to be able set my alarm off before it even went off. I got ready for school and left without eating breakfast like I do every day so I can make it to school before the majority of people came which left me a little time in peace and quiet before the halls become a bustling mess. At my locker I broke down the class schedules I had that day and remembered that today was a big science test that I completely forgot to study for. Science, especially biology, was my best subject and I was sure I would pass it with flying colors anyway. I took out the necessary things for today's classes and thought about what I would do with my spare time today. I never really just thought about how I would spend a day, social wise as least. My social game is already clear and so is the change. So I wasn't used to planning out what I would do in that aspect. Then out of nowhere I heard a familiar grunt and sigh behind me. When I turned to look it was Taemin putting a band-aid on his face.

         "Tsk, when will you ever learn to fight back," I shook my heard as I watched him, talking in what I thought was a soft voice.

         "When netizens and dispatch learn not to take pictures of everything," he looked up at me as I pretended that I didn't say anything. Though I couldn't ignore that purple bump on his cheek that he tried to cover up with a simple band-aid.

         I followed him into class and sat in my seat as he threw himself in his. I could tell he was in a grumpy mood - most likely because of that bruise - and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter