THE WI SIBLINGS

  DIE!NASTY cheatsheet is released...
DAMIEN'S NOTES: I think it goes without saying that this entire narrative is going to be filled with angst and mystery and violence. Drug culture in addition to alcoholism will be mentioned, and it will touch upon topics of mental health as well. I understand that this content is not everyone's cup of tea (and I won't hold it against you if you lost interest because of that). It's super edgy, therefore I'm also hoping to add some humour and lighthearted moments to contrast the dark themes. I promise this won't be a complete downer! Anyway, with all that mentioned, this is the story of the Wi siblings told through Mal's POV. Feel free to ask any questions!
THE UNWRITTEN MANUSCRIPTS OF DIE!NASTY'S CY AND MALLORY WI 
COMME UN RÊVE:
Mal's earliest memory was of a time when she was perched on her mother's lap. She couldn't for the life of her jog up the memory of her mother's song—perhaps she'd lost it at the peak of her addiction—but she remembered that to be her firsthand exposure to music's potency. Although Mal's father was a mere distant memory, at that very moment, she knew he was very much present. He loomed, a steadfast warmth that she'd known to be absent later on in her mother's life. She sought after the sublimity of that memory ever since; always dissatisfied, never contented. She went in pursuit of it ever since the government deemed her young mother unfit of raising her own daughter, though Mal had known it to be lost long before then.
EN RETENANT:
Ten years old. In her earlier years in foster care, she often asked herself if she was taken away because she cried too much, asked for too much. Perhaps it had been her fault; if she hadn't whined so much about food, or loneliness, then she would still be with her mother. Silence and restraint were two valuable lessons she'd immediately committed to memory until it was writ in the way she held herself against the world. She'd regarded any sort of affection then with silent hostility and incredulity. They baited her with promises of undying affection and understanding only for her to be whisked away in the home of another stranger. Another poor simulation of what she wanted most: family. At thirteen, she'd been welcomed into the Wi residence with the same promises forged on foundations of love, and she merely waited for the cycle to assume its course. She would be gone soon enough. She waited, and waited, and waited, yet not once did they waver.
TRgo8ST.jpg?1
︿
LENTEMENT:
Bridget and Marlon Wi longed for more children, though a hysterectomy rendered Bridget incapable of having any more biological children after Cy. The family took Bridget's survival as a message from their God to involve themselves in charities and soon enough, the couple's dreams of a large family were fulfilled through fostering children. Mal was among the other four fosters that were adopted by the Wi household. Lowering her guard was a glacial process persistently encouraged with affection not only by Bridget and Marlon but by their son as well.
LENTEMENT parti deux:
Mal found the strength within herself to be vulnerable at fifteen. Cy had been showing her around school when she'd heard the rich growling tune of the bass. In her mind she heard her mother's laughter, saw the stars pooling in her father's lovestruck eyes as he steadily plucked away at the thick metal strings. She had tasted sublimity then and the visceral urge to reach out and touch the strings brought a message clear and resonant: it was where she belonged. She'd enrolled in her school's strings class soon after, and cried genuine tears when she had been gifted an electric bass months later. Cy, the sweet brother that he was, enrolled in the class soon after to bond with her. And she belonged. Finally, she belonged.
 
DOUCEMENT:
Her initial reticence had carried over when her brother introduced her to his friends—or rather, his bandmates. Mostly, she observed their interactions in silent wonder at how smoothly they flowed as a group. They were graceful in the way they did everything with unity: fought, and dreamed, and hurt inside; and even in growing they healed themselves together. Cy had shared everything with her, yet as she watched, she thought perhaps this was one thing Cy deserved for all his tenderness: his own family to nurture. She remained an outsider peering in, silently joining along should it please her brother, though she didn't dare allow herself to be a part of this group, this family. This was Cy's, and she would not dare ruin this for him as she ruined things between her and her mother.
DOUCEMENT parti deux:
Mallory was not taken away from home because she had a bad mother—that she knew for certain at seventeen, though she had so many questions that remained unanswered. When word of her mother's death reached her, it broke Mal's heart knowing her mother blamed herself for the loss of her family with her last breath. Perhaps it was why her mother sought to ease her pain through cheap liquor, and cried her way through her songs. Mal had found them among her mother's personal effects, sloppily written letters of apology perfumed with the stench of gin, and undiscovered manuscripts from which her mother poured her soul. Mal would get those songs recorded and published, she told herself, and soon enough she'd earned her way into doing grunt work for a studio where her talents as a session bassist were discovered.
EN S'ÉLOIGNANT DAVANTAGE:
Somewhere along the way she lost herself. She hadn't thought it possible, not when she was exactly where she belonged. She hadn't recognized her descent until she was spending her waking moments in search for a substance to appease the way her insides rattled, and by then, she bore the marks on her forearms which garnered disdain. Suddenly, Mal was young again—young and at fault with a penchant for bringing things to their ruin. She had made a smart decision in distancing herself from her brother's friends for she would have taken them all down with her with the way she fell. Mallory was a diseased limb to be severed, and she carried enough sense to withdraw from everyone—just as she did when she was younger, stepping back one foot at a time until she was beyond reach, beyond sight.
TUMULTUEUX:
Cyprian had pulled her out. Drowning in shame and the remnants of her potential, Mal knew that without her older brother, she'd have died. It was Cy who endlessly sought her out; it was Cy who so persistently trudged on regardless of how abrasive Mal had gotten. Sobriety through rehab was something she'd done of her own volition, but it was through Cy's faith in her that she was able claw her way out of withdrawal alive. She'd always figured Cy would be the first one to welcome her back when she returned from rehab. She'd held on to the image of running into her brother's arms, of seeing Marlon and Bridget and letting them smother her with their parental affection.
TRgo8ST.jpg?1
︿
COMME UN MAUVAIS RÊVE:
When news of the tragedy struck, she had about a few days left until her departure. The doctors and therapists whom she'd worked with were concerned that her brother's death would trigger her into relapse. She dealt with grief with such unsettling silence. When she was released, she took it upon herself to arrange her brother's funeral. She acknowledged that the hardest part of someone's death was beyond the time when they were laid to rest; the hardest part was returning to her own life and expecting Cyprian to have her back, only to find him gone.