Did My Heart Stop, Stop Looking at Me

Ocean-like Eyes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyoung sat up straight when she heard the front door open. Various broken conversations from the returning members could be heard through Jihyo’s door. Chaeyoung heard a clear, soft voice asking where the shortest member was. Chaeyoung’s heart thumped.

“Perfect timing!” Jihyo said with a grin as she looked down at Chaeyoung’s now filled lyric notebook page. They had spent over two hours sitting on Jihyo’s bed writing lyrics for Chaeyoung’s song. They went through several different pages of the notebook; crossing out and scratching ideas. Jihyo had helped Chaeyoung greatly with the chorus since writing hooks was her strong suit. Chaeyoung focused on the verses to set the meaning to the song.

In the end, they decided the overall theme of the song would be falling in love for the first time- so that it wasn’t obvious to whom it was about. However, Chaeyoung kept enough context in the lyrics for it to still be specifically about Mina. Jihyo had advised Chaeyoung to change the pronouns in the song from female to male when they finalized the lyrics. Chaeyoung agreed reluctantly.

Chaeyoung was grateful for Jihyo’s help. She felt better now that her feelings were out on paper and were organized and collected. She was glad they were finally done. Her back began to hurt and her eyes were dry from focusing on her notebook. But being done also meant Chaeyoung would have to perform the song in front of the rest of the group.

“Unnie, I’m not sure about this…” Chaeyoung admitted nervously.

“No time to back out now Chaeng-ah!” Jihyo said with another grin. She heard the other members chatting in the living room while Nayeon and Jeongyeon teased each other loudly in the kitchen.  “Besides, our audience is out there waiting.”

Jihyo bounced off her mattress and straightened out her clothes. Chaeyoung gathered her notebook and pencil and slowly climbed out of the bed and followed her unnie to the door. She gulped. After spending so much time pouring her heart into the lyrics she wasn’t sure if she could keep her composure around Mina.

Jihyo stopped abruptly in front of her bedroom door and turned to face her maknae. She took in Chaeyoung’s nervous form. The poor kid looked like a distraught mess. Jihyo smiled softly and smoothed down Chaeyoung’s hair and straightened her sweatshirt before stealing her glasses to wipe the smudges off. Jihyo was sure Mina would still fawn over Chaeyoung even if she was dressed in a potato sack. But straightening up never hurt. After Jihyo finished she placed her hands on Chaeyoung’s shoulders.

“Everything’s going to be okay Chaeng-ah.” Jihyo smiled down at her. “Your song is perfect and you look very handsome today. Mina’s going to get blown away.”

Chaeyoung blushed before pouting, “Unnie, stoppp.”

Jihyo giggled. “Come on, let’s go get your girl.”

As soon as they walked out of Jihyo’s room, Chaeyoung’s palms became sweaty. In the living room sat Sana, Momo, Dahyun and… Chaeyoung’s heart thumped. Mina looked beautiful as ever. Her soft caramel hair bounced as she quietly giggled at Momo. Chaeyoung’s jaw dropped. Mina was wearing one of Chaeyoung’s flannels. She looked up from her conversation with Momo and met Chaeyoung’s eyes. She smiled widely at the shorter girl.

Chaeyoung let out a squeak and hid behind Jihyo, grabbing fistfulls of her leader’s shirt. , what is wrong with me? This is so embarrassing! Mina frowned a little and turned back to her conversation.

Jihyo glanced down at Chaeyoung hiding behind her. It was time to get this over with before Chaeyoung passed out with anticipation. She reached behind her and patted Chaeyoung on the head.

“Hey guys!” Jihyo shouted, getting the group’s attention with her leader voice. The rest of the members paused what they were doing and looked at their leader. “You guys want to all come sit in the living room? Chaeyoung and I have a new song to show you.”

At Jihyo’s words, the members gathered in the living room and got comfortable on the couches, sitting in front of their leader and maknae. They were used to this routine. Chaeyoung wrote many of Twice’s songs, but she was never as nervous to present one as she was now.

Jihyo sensed Chaeyoung’s nervousness and turned around to face Chaeyoung, patted her cheeks and smiled. Jihyo stepped aside and revealed Chaeyoung to the group.  She took that as her cue and pulled her notebook out of her hoodie pocket.

“Hey guys.” Chaeyoung mumbled. She looked at the rest of the members. Jeongyeon gave her a small smile and Nayeon looked like she was going to combust from Chaeyoung’s cuteness. Chaeyoung managed to avoid Mina’s gaze. She needed to remain calm. “This afternoon, Jihyo unnie and I wrote a new song...I’d like to hear what you all think.”

“It was mostly Chaeng-ah.” Jihyo stated proudly. Chaeyoung gave her a small smile and fumbled through her notebook to the right page. Once she found the first verse she glanced up at Jihyo. Her leader gave her a nod of approval.

“Okay, um, it’s called Eye Eye Eyes. It’s about falling in love for the first time.” Chaeyoung felt her ears turn red. She glanced up at the members sitting on the couch. She met Mina’s gaze and ducked her head back into her notebook. Mina’s eyes were so soft and deep. Chaeyoung was hoping this song would show the other girl her feelings correctly without embarrassing herself further.

The room was filled with awws and h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter