Nineteen: Face off

Almost Perfect
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjae pressed the doorbell to the familiar apartment with a slightly trembling hand. In another time, he would think it funny that he was standing in front of the familiar door, waiting with jittery nerves for either one of the siblings to open the door when in fact he had a copy of the keys in his pocket. But right now, he could not find his humor when all he was thinking about was his best friend, and whether they would still be best friends after tonight.

He took a deep calming breath. Everything would be fine. This was it. This was the time he had been waiting for. There was no room for doubts now, after all the effort he made to get at least one chance to confront his best friend.

 

———1 hour ago———

 

“It feels like it’s been too long since we’ve met the last time. When was it? Two months ago?” Changsub nodded absently as he listened to his long time friend, Eunkwang.

“Yeah, and Sung-“ Eunkwang paused, eyes widened at his near mistake, “and super busy, all of us.” He gulped his drink in one go, eyes meeting Hyunsik’s across the room as the other guy frowned.

Changsub was well aware how careful his friends were about mentioning - or rather, not mentioning Sungjae’s name in front of him, and he felt slightly guilty for putting his friends in this awkward situation even though Sungjae was their friend too. He focused his attention to the drink in his hand instead. He had not intended to attend the farewell party of one of their acquaintance who was leaving for the states tonight but his friends had insisted. It had been a while since they’ve seen both Changsub and Sungjae, three weeks to be exact. Ever since that night.

Changsub had engrossed himself in his work since then, trying to keep himself distracted from whatever lingering anger he still had, and most importantly the disappointment towards his sister and his best friend.

***

It took Sungjae two hours of self pep talk before bravely stepping into the bar holding the party where he knew Changsub would be. With his heart thumping wildly in his chest, he carefully scanned the crowd, searching for a glimpse of his best friend. He saw Eunkwang before he saw Changsub next to him and deliberately advanced towards the both of them. He saw Eunkwang eyes widened when their eyes met, and was thankful when he did not alert their friend of his presence, both of them knew that Changsub would bolt once he realized Sungjae’s presence which would rob Sungjae’s attempt to talk at last.

Changsub must have a sixth sense because his shoulders tensed once Sungjae stopped exactly behind him. Or maybe he noticed how silent Eunkwang and Hyunsik were while staring at something - someone - behind him. He did not turn when Sungjae mumbled his hello. Instead, he downed his drink in one gulp and started to leave. Sungjae followed him outside. 

He knew this was the only chance for him to get Changsub to at least acknowledge his existence. They were still in public place, admittedly less public now that they were outside of the bar, but still public enough that Changsub would not create a scene by rai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter