Ten

Lab Coats and Bank Notes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shira practically speeds to school, already five minutes behind schedule if she wanted to turn that paper in on time. She is operating on two cups of coffee, which had been much needed after last night, but left her jittery. She had gotten back around four in the morning after dropping Mark off at the GOT7 house, which allowed her and Jackson to avoid Bangtan at the nightclub completely.


And then she had been scolded the entire drive back to the apartment by a frustrated and tired Jackson. It was lucky enough that he and Mark had been awake and nearby to aid in their escape, otherwise they probably would not have made it unscathed. EXO probably recognized GOT7 more than they recognized Bangtan, and the name and age of the gang had enough influence for them to back down in critical situations.


“Low risk my a**,” Jackson grumbled at the end of his scolding. “Byun Baekhyun and the rest of EXO would have liked nothing more than to put all of you ten feet underground.”


Apparently answering with a, “I prefer cremation,” was not a good idea.


Shira had sighed, half asleep, listening to Jackson rant until he dropped her off at the apartment. Mark’s eyes stayed shut, but she had the feeling that he had been wide awake and listening to the entire conversation, and that was why she had been a little cautious about everything Jackson said. But nothing he said connected to her identity. She had slept for maybe two hours before hauling herself out of bed to finish the paper. Only Seunghyun had been at the apartment at the time, and he had said something about not knowing that Byun Baekhyun from EXO and Taehyeon from SNSD being together.


It’s fine. She had a six month deadline before she could be careless. Until then, she would protect her identity and her safety to her utmost ability. But the six months until her final mission would go by quickly if she was careful enough.


The rest of Bangtan had probably had it worse, since at least she hadn’t had morning classes. All she had to do today was turn in the paper and get through an hour of research lab, and then she could pass out at home.


She pulls into her usual parking spot before taking off into a run towards her class that was supposed to start in thirty seconds. She was at least five minutes away by walking. Her backpack bounces on her back and she holds her fake glasses in place as her bun flops around on the top of her head, making her fake identity of Seok Sonha look like even more of a mess than she already was. Shira nearly trips over an untied shoelace but keeps going even as her legs start to protest, especially after all the running she did yesterday.


She bends over, trying to catch her breath before walking into the classroom and putting her essay neatly on the stack of turned in papers. Her professor did nothing but shoot her a strange look as she sat down and pulled out a notebook that she knew would stay blank because she was too tired to concentrate.


During class, she doodles. And after the bell rings and the professor stops talking, she finds herself staring at a sketch of the other side's hierarchy. It has all the typical gangs from the last war: EXO, Super Junior, SNSD, and f(x). But this time around, TVXQ is gone and Red Velvet and NCT are in their place.


And even though she didn't know the exact rankings anymore, she has a feeling that she doesn't want to find out. Their side has the ability of supporting each other through a notorious system full of gang members and underlings that have no issue playing dirty.
 

The sketch wouldn't be decipherable to others, really, because she had used abbreviations and tallies marking the amount of members. She doubts that even Big Bang would be able to make out the mess of lines, but to Shira, it makes perfect sense as she visualizes the gang war that might be brought to their doorstep by the murder of Kim Taeyeon.


And  sets into a grim line at the circle at the top of the hierarchy. SHINee only has four tallies instead of five.


That was technically her fault.
 


“You should stay back,” Jimin insists as Taehyung hauls himself off of his bed, grimacing. “Your cut was a lot deeper than you thought.”


He had been forced to wear shorts to sleep, and he didn’t really want to change in case if he disturbed the stitches.


Taehyung murmurs. “I have to go to research today. Everything else I can skip.”


“E-mail the person in charge,” Jimin pushes him back on the bed. “Don’t disturb those stitches, at least for today.”


“Honestly,” Hoseok slips into the room, eyes full of sleep. “That girl yesterday was insane. No wonder everyone was quiet until she left.”


“More like because everyone was in shock,” Jimin murmurs with a slight smile. “She first practically threw herself off the stairs and on to a gutter pipe, then shot Byun Baekhyun, and then had no issue shooting at EXO’s car through the sunroof.”


“I don’t understand why she didn’t keep running down the stairs,” Hoseok rubs at his eyes.


Jimin pauses before admitting, “I told her to keep you alive.”


“And why would she listen to you?” Taehyung mutters, closing his eyes and slumping back. “She had no reason to. It would have been in her best interest to not listen at all. No, it would be because either he would been able to pick both of us off if we got off the stairs and ran towards the van.”


“You idiot,” Jimin sits down at Taehyung’s feet. “And you got up and started shooting, making the wound worse.”


Taehyung simply shrugs. “I’m the best with weapons.”


But Hoseok wasn’t wrong. She was crazy. She was crazy enough to pick not to kill Byun Baekhyun immediately, giving more of a chance for escape. She was crazy enough to hand over her own weapon to him to take out the mark. She was crazy enough to shoot Byun Baekhyun by taking a chance. She was crazy enough to stand through the sunroof and shoot down EXO and even call for help.


Whoever Watermelon was, Bangtan had been forced to respect her. And that fact was annoying because she was still their ticket to freedom. They had learned nothing about her identity yesterday, other than the fact that she was close enough to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter