Incoming Train

Hecate: MoonSun One Shots

It was so cold that night it didn't surprise anyone when snow started to fall. Solar tucked her hands deeper into the pocket of her long coat. Standing on that train station platform enduring the cold was bad enough without the sight of Moonbyul standing next to her, emotionless.

Solar took a glimpse from the corner of her eyes. Moonbyul looked content, as if nothing was ever wrong. She had a bag next to her containing her stuff which among them was a doll of a rabbit. The doll Solar gave her. 

"You packed everything?" asked Solar. She knew the answer but she couldn't stand the silence.

Moonbyul nodded.

"Your nose is red. You okay? Do you need a heat pack?"

"I'm good."

Solar looked away from the silver haired girl, feeling her heart sinks deeper. Moonbyul hadn't forgiven her. Well, who would after what Solar did? 

Moonbyul had her heart on her sleeve, standing in front of Solar against the whole world but Solar denied her. And that was why Moonbyul had to leave. But Solar didn't want her to leave, she wanted her to stay, here, next to her, forever.

"I'm sorry."

Moonbyul didn't even turn her head.

"You know that I...."

"The train's late," Moonbyul cut Solar. "You can go home if you want."

Solar looked at Moonbyul's expressionless face and, again, feeling the guilt for the pain she had given her.

Solar looked away again. She felt heavy, so heavy, she could crumble at anytime.

Then the light from the train flashed from afar. There it was, the train that will take Moonbyul away from her.

Moonbyul saw it too and took the bag from the floor, her head turned to the direction of the incoming train.

Solar's heart beat a little faster, a little unstable. Something choked up . Her stomach churning at the sight of the blinding train lights.

It can't end like this, Solar said inside her heart, it was not supposed to end like this.

"Moonbyul!" Solar said, a little louder than she expected it would sound.

Moonbyul turned her eyes to her for the first time that night and the train passed them by, sending gush of wind. Solar found herself crying now. 

The silver hair of Moonbyul that matched the full moon was too hard to let go.

"I'm sorry!" Solar said.

"You've said that."

The train stopped and Moonbyul walked towards the open door. Solar took the sleeve of Moonbyul's coat, stopping her.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry for not standing up for you, for us," she said, crying now. "Stay."

Moonbyul looked at her with no emotion on her face. Nothing at all.

"Please," Solar sobbed. "Stay with me. I can't...."

Solar knew that everyrhing was too late but she just couldn't let Moonbyul go.

"Stay. Please...."

"Bye, Unnie," said Moonbyul moved and hopped on the train.

Solar was left standing on the platform, crying her heart out, bawling like a kid.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm really sorry," she cried. "Come back. Come back."

**

"Moonbyul!"

Moonbyul lifted her face from the egg she just finished cooking a minute ago. 

It was Solar's voice and then the sound of hurrying footsteps was heard. Solar came to the kitchen all drenched in sweat.

"Yes?" asked Moonbyul.

"You... You're still here...."

"Where else should I be? You want me somewhere else?"

"No!" Solar shouted. "Stay. Don't... Don't go anywhere."

Moonbyul creased her temple. "Are you okay?"

Solar looked so tired even though she just woke up from her sleep. Hair messed up, face red and chest rising in harmony with her rushing breath.

"I had a dream...," Solar stammered, "of you... and you were...."

Moonbyul was confused. "Of me what?"

"Leaving."

"Where?"

"I don't know," Solar finally let out a sigh as if she just realizing that everything was just a dream and she was awake now. She sat on the dining chair and propped her head with her hands. "I had a dream that I hurt you and you were leaving me."

Moonbyul scoffed. "Hmph. Serves you well. You keep on bullying me and I leave for real," she joked but there was no response from Solar. Moonbyul turned to the girl and founs her staring at her.

"I'm sorry," she said. "For whatever I have done to you and might do to you in the future that have hurt or will hurt you. I'm sorry."

"I'm kidding, Unnie," Moonbyul smiled.

"I'm sorry anyway. So... don't leave, okay?"

"Okay."

"I mean it. Don't ever, ever, leave me."

Moonbyul returned her attention back to the egg. She didn't want Solar to see her blushing. "I will never leave you."

Solar let out a relieved sigh and stared at the silver haired girl. Solar realized now, real or not real, she could not stand the life where Moonbyul is not around.

 

--