Traffic Police

Traffic Police

It was late at night when Kyuhyun drove his car and was sleepy and  missed out to turn to his lane. He was very tired after a long day in the office and he lost concentration for a while. He stopped his car ahead and rest his head. He sighed. To go back to his lane, he need to exit in another lane and make a U-turn back. Suddenly a traffic policeman parked his motorcycle in front of his car and walked over and knocked his window. 

"Sir, you can't stop your car here. It's too dangerous. You need to move" the officer bend down to talk to him. 

Kyuhyun looked at him and apologise "I'm sorry, I just want to stop for a while to be awake. I was a bit sleepy just now and missed my exit" 

"Sir if you are sleepy, you should just go home in a cab. You could cause an accident if you lose control of your wheel"

"I know I know, ok I will move"

"Wait, can I see your driving licence?"

"Why? I'm not drunk, just tired" Kyuhyun took out his driving licence and hand it over to the officer. He looked up and saw his face and glanced at his name tag. The officer's name as shown in his name tag is Lee Sungmin.  Hmm, very handsome and he has a nice name... Kyuhyun was thinking. 

"I'm just following the rule, Sir. Alright, I've recorded your name. Thank you, Sir" and Sungmin returned back Kyuhyun's card. "Are you awake enough to continue driving?" 

"I actually need to turn to  Chungmuro. But I missed the exit. Now I need to go one big round to go back there"

"Oh? Hmm, you can use the next exit, use a side road and turn to Chungmuro"

"Really? I didn't know there's a side road"

"Sir, I am finishing my shift, I can ride to that exit and guide you, you just follow from behind? I need to go back to my station anyway"

"So nice of you, officer. Thank you" and Kyuhyun wind up his window as Sungmin walked back to his motorbike and ride it. Kyuhyun followed him from behind. This Lee Sungmin even looked good from behind. Aisshhh what am I thinking, Kyuhyun scolded himself. 

They went through a long side road, which Kyuhyun didn't know exist, and eventually they exit to Chungmuro. Ohhhh, this road is from the highway, I didn't know... Kyuhyun Thought. He stopped behind Sungmin's motorbike and get out from his car. 

"Thank you, officer. Hmm Officer Lee Sungmin, right? Thank you, Lee Sungmin-ssi"

"You are welcome, hmm Cho Kyuhyun-ssi" Sungmin referred to his note to say out Kyuhyun's name. "Don't drive if you are sleepy next time. Ok I will be going. Have a good rest" and Sungmin rode off. 

Kyuhyun walked back to his car and drove off. Lee Sungmin, wow, his name suits his face. And he no longer feel sleepy even after he reached his home, showered and lie down on his bed. 

The Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency (SMPA) is the primary police force for the South Korean capital city of Seoul; it is not an independent police force in of itself, but is one of 16 provincial sub-divisions of the National Police Agency. Lee Sungmin is a Senior Policeman and though he was small in size, he has a black belt in taekwando. Often, he was tease for being too pretty for a guy, but as he was always polite and respectful, his colleagues and fellow policemen like him and respected him. 

Sungmin was riding his motorbike one afternoon when another officer signal him and point to a cafe for a break. It was passed his lunch time and he has not had any lunch, so he agreed to stop. He parked his bike outside Cafe Bene near Chongmuro station and within seconds, Hyukjae's motorbike stopped and parked too. Lee Hyukjae is also in his division and sometime they patrol together. 

"I'm damn hungry, let's grab something to eat. We haven't had our break" Hyukjae told Sungmin. They are entitled to a 1 hour break  for lunch or snacks as and when they are able to take.  The entered Cafe Bene.

"Yeah me too, but that tow truck took so long to arrive during the  accident just now, we can't just leave". He proceeded to place his order and for Hyuk too as he knew what Hyukjae like. Hyukjae looked for seats, and later Sungmin joined him with the food and drinks. 

"Hey Min, so did you get to meet that handsome sleepy guy again?"

"Sadly no. Eventhough lately  I've been  patrolling this area, I didn't meet him anymore. I still remembered his car, white Mercedes-Benz C450" Sungmin told Hyukjae and started eating his sandwich. Once he finished his sandwich, he sipped his latte. He loved the latte here, not too creamy yet it was very rich to his liking. 

"Hi officer Lee! Nice to see you again! Didn't know you are patrolling this area! You looked even better without your helmet"

Sungmin looked up and nearly choke on his latte. Coughing, he said "Hmmm, Mr Cho Kyuhyun, right? Nice to meet you again. You work around here?" 

"No, I'm on leave today. I stay around here and was thinking of buying a sandwich"

"Err, this is my fellow traffic officer, Lee Hyukjae. Hyuk, this is Mr Cho Kyuhyun, I guided him to use the side road previously coz he missed his exit route" Sungmin introduced Hyukjae and they said hi to each other. 

Actually when Kyuhyun was walking towards the cafe, he saw two traffic police motorbikes parked outside. He was happy that finally he gets to see Sungmin again. He recognised his bike's plate number because Sungmin's bike was in front of his car showing him the side road to Chungmuro that night and he could see his plate clearly. From the cafe's side window, he could see Sungmin and he glanced at his uniform's name tagged, it was indeed Sungmin. Happily, he walked to the front door and purposely walked to Sungmin's table. Finally! He thought to himself, finally I meet him again! But he didn't want to disturb their lunch. 

"Ok I see you around, I'll go get my sandwich" Kyuhyun smile sheepishly and joined the queue at the counter.  While at the queue, Kyuhyun received a call from his client "Hi Mr Park, oh you called my office? I'm off today actually. Oh no worries no wories, yes, Mr Park, tomorrow 10am is confirmed. Ok I'll see you there tomorrow? Yup, thank you Mr Park" and while talking, Sungmin tap his shoulder and waved goodbye. Kyuhyun waved at him as well, regrettably thinking when could he see Sungmin again. 

The court hearing date was set as tomorrow. Kyuhyun, as the district attorney, is representing Mr Park Jungsu. Mr Park's car was involved in a traffic accident and the other car owner was sueing him. From his car camera, and written feedback from the traffic police, Mr Park was not in the wrong. But as the other car owner has sued him, he got no choice but to engage the attorney general office to get a district attorney to help him. Kyuhyun has requested the traffic policeman who had given the write-up to attend the court hearing too, as one of the witness. 

Kyuhyun had presented all his evidence to the judge to counter attack the other car owner, Mr Kim, so that he could dropped his charges or settle outside court. When it was time to call for witnesses, Kyuhyun glanced at the back of the courtroom to check whether the traffic policeman has arrived, else he would call another witness first. Just in time, the door opened and a traffic policeman walked in. He removed his helmet and sunglasses, and Kyuhyun couldn't hide his happiness and called Sungmin to the witness stand. Sungmin was shocked that the district attorney was Kyuhyun! Kyuhyun smile and nodded to him, and then informed the court his first witness. 

Kyuhyun asked Sungmin, as the traffic police on duty that day during the accident, what he observed or what he has found out at the scene, as to what happened and who was at fault. Sungmin confidently answered what the police found out based on the camera video, how badly the car damaged and each car owners' statements. 

After all the witnesses have been consulted, the court adjourned for 30 minutes. Kyuhyun got 2 cups of latte from the vending machine and approached Sungmin. 

"Thank you for coming forward"

"Mr Cho, I was very surprised to see you. I didn't know you are a district attorney"

"Call me Kyuhyun, please. Yes, it's a stepping stone for me to eventually worked in a law firm, so I try to gain as much experience as I can in Attorney General office "

"I see, good for you. But are you new, because I was in court hearings several times but I didn't see you before from the AG office"

"I was working in Osaka before coming back here to join the AG office 3 months ago. This is my 5th case"

"Wow, so you are very fluent in Japanese? "

"Well, my Japanese wasn't that fantastic but I can survive, hahaha. Oh here, I pass you my namecard. Call me sometimes when you are off duty?" Kyuhyun smiles at him. 

"Thank you, I will" Sungmin smiles back. He keyed in Kyuhyun's number and called the number. "And I just did" he laughed. Kyuhyun laughed too and saved Sungmin's number. 

The court resumed and after going through all the evidence, the judge announced that Mr Park was not at fault, and Mr Kim need to compensate Mr Park for all the car servicing charges . Mr Park was so jubilant and hugged Kyuhyun and convey his thanks repeatedly. 

Sungmin congratulated Kyuhyun and Kyuhyun asked him whether Sungmin has time for a late lunch. They agreed to meet later as Sungmin need to report back but will be off duty later. Kyuhyun need to brief his bosses too but would be free thereafter. Since Sungmin would be off duty, Kyuhyun said he would picked Sungmin up and then they could go together. Though Sungmin didn't want to trouble Kyuhyun, he was thrilled and felt like it's a lunch date. Sungmin informed him his SMPA office address and they agreed that Kyuhyun would picked him up around 2.30pm. He can't wait to tell Hyukjae. Hyukjae has been telling him if it's meant to be, he would meet Kyuhyun again, and now he couldn't agree more! 

Just on time, Sungmin saw Kyuhyun's white Mercedes coming towards where he was standing. Shyly, he hop in and they exchanged greetings. Indeed, that was their first date and there were many many more dates along the way. 

They had been together for a year and though it was tough to coincide their free time, they managed to keep it going strong. There's this saying, absence made the heart grows tender, and that's what they  exactly are. At times they couldn't even have a decent meal together if Sungmin had to rush off due to some emergency request for backups. At times they didn't even meet for a week due to Kyuhyun's busy schedules, but they cover it up by face to face call because they missed each other. 

Half way into their 2nd year together, Kyuhyun asked Sungmin to move in with him. He loved Sungmin and missed him and not being able to see each other is such a torture. Sungmin couldn't agree more. He is just heads over heels with Kyuhyun too. 

Kyuhyun was waiting for Sungmin in his car to pick him up after his off duty one day. There was a knock on his window. He wind down his window and the officer said "Sir, you can't park your car here, it's too dangerous" 

"I'm just waiting for my boyfriend who took too long to come out"

"Yeah but people will see you and might want to go on a date with you. I can't allow other people to ogle at my man"

"Then you jolly well come in so that other people don't have to ogle at my man's too"

They laughed and Sungmin walked over to the passenger side, opened the door, sit, lean over to kiss Kyuhyun, and fasten his seat belt.  And Kyuhyun drove off to their home together.