Inspector JungKook

Inspector Jungkook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

INSPECTOR JUNGKOOK

 

Boastful laughter and congratulatory pats followed a young dark haired man as he struttered through the sea of men in black police uniform. His strides long and proud, a smirk decorating his thin lips as he bowed or he shook hands with his fellow police officers. His smirk kept growing, eventually changing into a full blown grin. The rush and adrenaline of what had went down the Inspection Room, just now, running wild in his veins and the response from his co-workers only increasing the effect.

 

“Well done, Jungkook.” Yoongi, the head of civil law enforcement department, muttered, throwing his special- and quite rare- eye smile when the young lad walked by him. Jungkook mocked salute in reply.

 

“Just what we all expected from Jeon Jungkook,” Another hollered across the cabin filled long corridor. Jungkook sent a wink in the said guy’s direction- Wang Jackson- a kind and friendly senior of his.

 

“Well done Jungkookie…”

 

“That’s our boy…”

 

Similar kinds of words were thrown his way from all directions, making Jungkook’s chest to swell in pride… and somewhat arrogance.

 

Jeon Jungkook. A name that had many expectations attached to it. A young lad that had out shone every member of the squad- he was part of- in the Police Force Training Center, a couple of years back. He came out with flying grades. His combat skills a talk among the higher officials, accompanied by awe and admiration. But nothing could rival the remote imaginations the man had… the ability to think outside the box. The very reason why he could almost always see through the lies criminals or suspects muttered under the dim light of Inspection Room… one look in the eye of suspect and it was almost like Jungkook had scanned them. And Jungkook was constantly able to come up with the wildest theories, but the strangest part was how the theory was almost always correct to great precision.

 

Something similar has gone down today, in the dimly lit Inspection Room. Jungkook had been called in by the head of Investigation Techniques, Kim Namjoon, a couple of days ago. Regarding the case of a murder, a current hot topic among the Police Department, the file had been ed in Jungkook’s awaiting hands and in no time the young officer had read and understood the situation. Then today, while interrogating the suspect, the grim air has intensified in the small room when Jungkook had thrown the folder down at the table, with harshness, and leaned in to see the face of the small boy that was being accused- and has as well admitted to it- of murdering his uncle, who was apparently holding onto young boys’ entire inheritance. In no time, Jungkook had declared the boy innocent while moving on to explaining and proving how the actual killer had been the wife of the man, who must have threatened the young boy to take the blame. How Jungkook had come up with that conclusion? Even he had been shocked at the theory that had kept evolving in his mind after he had read and heard the whole story from the scratch.

 

Now that was that… and Jungkook could only flip his hair back and smirk at the awe stuck gazes that were following him.

 

Then, bowing deeply, one last time, and flashing his million watts smile, Jungkook entered the small cubicle- he likes to think of as his personal office, and no matter how much his friend likes to make fun of him, he won’t let his imaginative mind be wavered by him.

 

Speak of the devil, the young man thought to his own when his eyes fell on his first and most important friend, in the police force, Kim Taehyung. Jungkook could vividly remember the very day when he had set foot on the premises of Police Force Training Center, trembling with nervousness, wondering what sort of experience he would be going through in that place. His wildly beating heart had relaxed a bit, seeing hundreds of young- clueless- guys hurdled at one corner of the room like the sheep waiting to be slaughtered. And it won’t be a lie if he says, the senior has actually been waiting to slaughter the new guys- the freshmen. The ragging he and his fellow first year had to go through was intense- and the boy still shudders to think about it- but amid all the teasing and weird tasks, they were allotted, he had found solace in a slightly 4D character, who went through much worse than others- because he made the mistake of bumping into a well-recognized senior- but still kept a wide smile on his face. Jungkook remembered being drawn to that square smile, gravitating to the small built boy once the seniors were done with them. The bright boy had introduced himself as, Kim Taehyung, the smile never leaving his face, even when he winced rubbing his slightly bruised rib. Then by fate, Jungkook and Taehyung were declared bunk mates… thus a start of blooming friendship.

 

“The star of the evening has arrived,” Taehyung joked, earning a playful slap on the back of his head. “Heard you save the of a small boy and framed his aunt. Tell me, was the boy that pretty?”

 

Jungkook rolls his eyes, knowing quite well what his friend was trying to hint at. Being together for last eight years of their lives, Taehyung had noticed the lack of interest his friend would show toward women when they would head out to clubs or bars, on rare occasions. Then after much insistence, Taehyung had persuaded Jungkook into hopping inside a different ship… but when the trouble of how to confirm Jungkook’s uality has arrived, Taehyung had been ever so sweet to offer his services. Jungkook still grimace, reminiscing the time when he had not been able to look straight in Taehyung’s eyes for straight six months. But their little experiment has led to great revelation… Jungkook was gay… Taehyung was bi… but neither of them wanted to date each other.

 

“The boy was merely 14, Taetae,” Jungkook mumbled, slumping down in the chair, on the other side of his desk since his was occupied by his pal. “And I only uncovered the truth.”

 

“But how?” Taehyung being the curious little lamb leaned in, tilting his head, cutely.

 

“That’s a secret,” Jungkook winked. “Anyways, how come you are lazing around in my office?”

 

“I am in your cabin,” Taehyung emphasized making Jungkook to chuckle at his workmate’s annoyance. “Because Namjoon has assigned me ‘stealth’- or more likely a ‘fraud’- case and as my best friend I begged him to include you in the team for this case.”

 

“Fraud case?? Oh Taetae,” Jungkook groaned, throwing his head back as a whine slip pass his lips. “You know it’s my least favorite genre of crimes… murder, trafficking, , abduction… you name it and I would happily indulge myself in it. I mean, at least there is some thrill in them… but fraud or stealth?! All you need is bright brain to identify the true story behind it.”

 

“Yes, something you possess, and has just proven,” Taehyung pointed out merrily. “Now, that you have agreed to join-”

 

“Wait, what?? I have a choice to decline?” Jungkook asked but got deliberately snubbed by the other, who kept speaking like the poor ‘victim’ has not uttered a single word.

 

“- so I would just go and tell Namjoon,” Taehyung walked toward the entrance of cabin, swirling his hips before turning his face to stare at the furious looking Jungkook. “The file is on your desk, take it home, read it because we need to be on the sight; first thing tomorrow morning.”

 

Did Jungkook mention how much he regrets being friend’s with Kim Taehyung since the first day in Police Force Training Center?

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Jungkook found himself pacing and closely checking around the office of Kim Enterprise’s director. The CEO of the company was also present, looking forlorn and utterly disturbed.

 

“The surveillance cameras are working properly but there is no video for that certain time period. It’s just a blank screen.” A hysterical Kim Seokjin, the CEO of Kim Enterprises, told the policemen.

 

“What time exactly?” Taehyung questioned making Jungkook to pause and look at Seokjin’s expressions.

 

“Yesterday… oh I mean, 8th May 2017, 5:34pm to 6:07pm Monday,” Seokjin narrated after thinking about the exact timing for a moment.

 

“You would have to grant us permission to look through your surveillance system, Mr. Kim,” Taehyung informed the other earning a quick nod in return. “And what exactly are the timings of your office, might I ask?”

 

“They are from 10am to 6:30pm,” The CEO replied, raising a brow when the officers shared a look. “I know what you are thinking. Yes, the file has indeed gone missing in our office timings and it was only by chance that I asked my cousin, Kim Woojin, who is also the executive manager of my company, to bring the folder, at around 6:45pm, I think… but it was gone. It was a rather important file- containing the information of a new project we have designed along with a Chinese company- thus I didn’t waste any time and called up on you guys.”

 

“Where exactly do you keep the file?” Jungkook piped in, steadily striding toward the small group hurdled around the long couch occupied by Seokjin and Taehyung.

 

“It was here,” Seokjin informed, gazing directly in Jungkook’s intimidating orbs. “We kept it in Mr. Jung’s, our company’s director, safe.” Jungkook kept holding the gaze then after a moment look away, copiously sure that the CEO was not the one bluffing here.

 

“Where is Mr. Jung?” Taehyung asked directly because if his memory did him justice, he doesn’t remember meeting any director when the manager has introduced them with the main staff.

 

“Mr. Jung has been out of country for last couple of weeks,” Seokjin said, slightly nibbling on his bottom lip. “Actually he went to China for the special joint project our firm has been planning to do with a certain Chinese company, like I said earlier. The file holds all the top secret plans… ours and theirs combined. We were on the brink of finalizing the contract with them… the proposal along with all raw plans’ blue prints were enclosed in it. That is a really important file for me officer, please do everything in your power to retrieve it… I beg you…”

 

“If it was such an important file then why did you had it lain out in open like this?” Jungkook questioned incredulously and secretly Taehyung agreed with his work-buddy. “I mean, putting such a file in a safe of all places… and not even in your own room…?”

 

Seokjin shook his head, “The file was enclosed in another briefcase, a special one that has a sensory lock system. That briefcase could only be opened with my hand prints if not then a certain sort of chemical would dissolve the file, if tried to be opened with force… and I never thought anyone would know about file being here, it was supposed to be a secret between me and Mr. Jung.”

 

Jungkook quickly turned to look at Taehyung, who did the same… they shared a long meaningful look.

 

“Then that means your life could be in danger,” Jungkook concluded. “They would need your hand to open the briefcase… in short they need you, Mr. Kim.”

 

“I would call Namjoon to send VIP protection squad, pronto,” Taehyung muttered before flipping opens his handy to call the head of their department.

 

“Mr. Kim, I wonder, how many people knew the code of Mr. Jung’s safe?” Jungkook questioned thoughtfully.

 

“Apart from me and Mr. Jung… our executive manager knew the code, since I told him that day to get the file, and… and…” Seokjin furrowed his brows, trying to remember the fine details. “I think, Mr. Jung can answer that question better than me.”

 

Jungkook nodded and had just opened his mouth to fire away another quick question when a delicate knock on the door stole their attention. On Seokjin’s lifeless murmur of ‘Come in’, in came a petite man, pale white skin, round dorky glasses sitting on his button nose, his plump pink lips glistering with saliva and his cute hands carrying a large tray containing teacups. Jungkook felt his guts twisting painfully and with a sudden jolt he realized he had stop breathing in order to gawk at the guy. Giving a firm shake to his head, the inspector reminded himself, he was on a case here… trying his best to ignore a small voice in his head telling him ‘So what! Admiring a hot guy ain’t a crime, bud.’

 

“Who is this?” Jungkook couldn’t stop himself from asking, awkwardly aware of the coarseness of his voice, he gave a small cough to clear his pipe way before continuing. “If you don’t mind my asking, Mr. Kim?”

 

“This is Park Jimin, he is my personal secretary, Inspector,” Seokjin replied, politely accepting the cup of tea Jimin handed him. “He is like a little brother to me.”

 

“Park Jimin,” Jungkook mumbled under his breath as he saw the young man carefully making his way toward him, a cup of tea in his hand, clearly aiming to present it to Jungkook. “Such a pretty name for such a pretty face,” Jungkook muttered, so no one other than Jimin could hear him, as he reached for the cup and deliberately brushed his fingers across Jimin’s small hand. The younger-looking man gasped in a low voice, snapping his head to look Jungkook straight in his eyes and blinked in surprised. Jungkook noticed with a startled shock, that the eyes- hidden behind the dorky glasses- were mesmerizing. They were wide at the moment, a hint of flush decorating his face.

 

The bells chimed in the background… loud and clear…

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“I suspect the director,” Taehyung started, once he and Jungkook had left Kim’s Enterprises, making sure Mr. Kim was under full VIP protection- his house, company and family included. “The way Mr. Kim stated it; he is the only one who knew the file was in his safe… I mean clearly it’s an insider’s job… a person who knew how to corrupt the surveillance system and steal the file from the safe. Mr. Jung could have hired someone, right?”

 

“If it really was Mr. Jung then he would have known from the very start that it was useless to only steal the briefcase… what with it being sensory locked… if he was really behind it he would have abducted Mr. Kim as well,” Jungkook threw in his thoughts.

 

“Yeah…” Taehyung muttered, slightly impressed at Jungkook’s theory but not thoroughly convinced. “But maybe he didn’t want to draw attention to himself and planned to abduct Mr. Kim later on, huh?”

 

Jungkook turned his neck, giving a judgmental look to Taehyung before bringing his attention back toward the road, since Taehyung had unceremoniously declared Jungkook to act as the driver for that night.

 

“What?” Taehyung asked in annoyance.

 

“Nothing,” The younger of the two replied, a smirk climbing on his lips. “You are the one who suspects Mr. Jung… not me, Taetae… so stop trying to get me to agree with all your nonsensical conclusions.”

 

“Oh really?” Taehyung said sarcastically. “Then pray, do tell who do you suspect, oh mighty Inspector Jungkook? That hot secretary you had eyed feasted on, making the poor boy to fidget, huh?”

 

“Oh lord! Don’t remind me about that,” Jungkook groaned shamelessly. “He is one fine specie, won’t you agree, Taehyung?”

 

“Yeah I would admit to that,” Taehyung said begrudgingly for the reason that obviously he was not blind. “But do you really think he could be involved in this case? You seemed to be asking rather a lot of questions to that boy.”

 

“Hmm, that’s a good question,” Jungkook rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “But in all honesty, I just wanted to keep hearing that angelic voice again and again, thus the reason of stream of questions.”

 

“Wow, Jungkook, I have never seen you so smothered by anyone, what’s going on dear friend?”

 

“His lips were quite inviting,” Jungkook muttered instead of answering Taehyung, lost in his own thoughts.

 

“We have a case to tackle, Jeon Jungkook, get your head straight,” Taehyung reminded the other.

 

Jungkook laughed, loud and boastful. “Nah, I have found my suspect Taehyung and I would be spending my time on him… Good Luck with tackling your case, might I remind.”

 

“I am gonna tell on you to, Namjoon,” Taehyung threatened but Jungkook was far too busy formulating a plan to approach this certain boy that he could not care less about the furious expression’s Taehyung supported on his face; like an angry cat whose toy has been snatched.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“Are you always this late, Mr. Park?” An intentionally deep voice sounded in the small office as soon as Park Jimin- panting and heaving for mere air- raced inside his office before slumping down in his chair, carelessly throwing his briefcase on the table, intensely inhale and exhaled while leaning his head at the back of his comfortable chair.

 

Startled, the elder man looked up to find none other than, Inspector Jeon, sitting in the corner of his small office, currently taking in- and mentally devouring- the pink flushed cheeks and red glistering lips of Jimin.

 

“You again!!” Jimin screeched, belatedly realizing how his high tone voice would have carried out in the outside Hall, since he forgets to close the door. “I meant… Inspector Jeon, how are you today?” the man corrected his words, forcing a bitter smile on his face as he tried to stop his teeth from gritting loudly.

 

“I am great, as always, thank you for showing so much concern,” Jungkook replied, a smile threatening to break on his lips as he slowly walked toward Jimin and carefully planted his at the edge of latter’s table. “And yes, me again! I told you, a few days back I guess; I have been assigned to keep my eyes on you, Mr. Park… and that’s exactly what I plan to do.” Jungkook made the gesture saying ‘I am watching you’ with his hands, to emphasize his words. “You are at the top of our- or precisely speaking, my- suspect list.”

 

“And I have told you only a bazillion time,” Jimin started, throwing a loathing gaze, as discreetly as he could, at the sturdy and muscular Inspector Jeon. “Mr. Kim is like a brother to me. He has been nothing but kind to me all my life and I can never even dream of hurting him.”

 

“A likely story,” Jungkook waved away offhandedly. “Which suspect admit to his crime that easily?”

 

Jimin’s jaw dropped in sheer surprise, “I can’t believe you are the same Inspector Jungkook that our media shows as some super hero. ‘Tackling cases blindfolded’… I remember that was how the news anchor made you out to look as when you uncovered that trafficking group, four months ago, going as far as reaching the main boss and you are not even a detective.” Jimin grimaced, but Jungkook- who had gone stiff at other’s words- sat staring at Jimin in disbelief. “But clearly they all had it wrong.”

 

“If I didn’t know any better,” Jungkook said voice light and slightly teasing. “I would say someone has a crush on me.”

 

“You wish,” Jimin scoffed, turning his attention toward his PC and reached out to push the boot button. “Now if you are done tormenting me for the day, Mr. Jeon, I would like to get back to my work.”

 

“Obviously, I am not,” Jungkook singsong, while taking out a small diary from his pocket and snatching away a ballpoint pen from Jimin’s small hands. “All I am asking for is your cooperation, Mr. Park, while I ask a few questions.”

 

Jimin groaned, “I wouldn’t mind it much if you asked me questions related to the case rather than…” Jimin stopped, trying to find a word that would explain his thoughts the best. “You know the weird one you ask.”

 

“Like what?” Jungkook challenged. “Like the one where I asked if you are gay or not? A question I am still waiting to hear the answer of… even though it’s obvious that with the body like yours, clearly you were made to be pounded into.”

 

Jimin gapped with a scandalized look on his face.

 

“This is harassment,” Jimin cried. “I could sue you for this.”

 

“By all means, be my guest and call the police,” Jungkook suggested, winking at the flustered looking man. “But today, I have different questions for you, Mr. Park… the gay one can wait for the time being, but let’s be honest, you and I both know the answer to that one is yes.” Jimin opened his mouth to protest but was waved off when the inspector continued. “Anyways, Mr. Park, how long have you been working for Kim Enterprises?”

 

“Finally,” Jimin mumbled under his breath before facing Jungkook with a passive face. “It’s been two years now, I started right after my graduation.”

 

“Ok…” Jungkook noted down on the small diary. “How long have you known Mr. Kim? How did you meet him?”

 

“We met through a mutual friend. I was having difficulty regarding my studies and Mr. Kim offered to help. At that time, he has only started his business from the scratch… weren’t making that much profit but still he helped me money-wise as well as giving me advice for good business colleges in the region, since I was new to the city. And I believe it has been six years since I have known Seokjin Hyung.”

 

“Hmm,” Jungkook was jolting down notes at the speed of light. “You said you were new to the city, huh? So where does your parents live?”

 

“What?” Jimin asked in surprise, the question making no sense to him. “What does my parents has to do with this?”

 

“I am just wondering for how many days of leave I shall have to apply when we go meet your parents,” Jungkook informed, shrugging in a nonchalant manner, before noticing a confused frown climbing up on that fair forehead of Jimin’s. “Oh come on, now don’t act so naïve.”

 

“Why are you meeting my parents?” Jimin demanded, nostril flaring in anger because he finally realizes the direction Jungkook was hinting on. It was one thing flirting with Jimin- nonstop, he might add- while the elder has to do his work but it was entirely different for Jungkook to start making decision for their future life… if any existed.

 

“Isn’t it general etiquette?” Jungkook grinned seeing Park Jimin seconds away from blowing up. “Anyways-”

 

A knock on the door stopped Jungkook mid-sentence. Both men halt to turn their attention toward the slightly ajar door of Jimin’s office and saw a wide eye, fair skin and brunet hair guy staring at them in awkward nervousness.

 

“Yes, Luhan Hyung?” Jimin called out politely. “Is something the matter?”

 

“Oh, I am sorry to disturb you two,” The guy called, Luhan started, taking a shy step inside the small room. “But Jimin is your phone extension not working? Mr. Kim has been trying to reach you for some time…” Luhan’s words trailed away as his and Jimin’s eyes flickered toward the telephone sitting on Jimin’s desk with its receiver slightly tilted. Jimin snapped his face to glower at Jungkook’s sheepish smile.

 

“I didn’t want any interruptions during my investigation time…?” Jungkook mumbled guiltily but before Jimin could say anything the third man started speaking and Jungkook notice the slight hesitation his accent was lacing with.

 

“Anyways, Mr. Kim is asking for you,” Luhan informed before bowing out of the room.

 

“Who was that?” Jungkook questioned sharply. “His accent was kind of off. I don’t believe I have met him before.”

 

“He is Luhan, our company’s manager. He is Chinese but his accent has gotten quite better since he has been living here for last three years,” Jimin informed while putting the receiver of his telephone at the right spot and searching for the file he needs Seokjin to review. “And obviously you have not met him because you utilize all your spare time making my life a living hell, thus not knowing who else walks around us.”

 

“Someone is enjoying the attention,” Jungkook teased. “Anyways, back to my original question… where do you belong from?”

 

Jimin sighed deeply, a sign that the man has decided to give up with that useless argument game between them.

 

“I am from Busan,” He mumbled distractedly, reviewing the file in his hand. Finding the file he was looking for, Jimin jumped up from his seat. “Now if you excuse me, I have to give this file to-”

 

“You are from Busan as well?” Jungkook asked excitedly, eyes shining brightly. “Me too!”

 

All his life Jimin had felt as excited as Jungkook look then, when he found a person from his home town… and he would admit, even now a small part of his heart leapt up in happiness- despite the fact the Inspector Jeon was annoying and a little too bold. Jimin has just opened his mouth to express it when Jungkook’s next words made him pause.

 

“This is fate,” Jungkook said, nodding to himself. “Isn’t it splendid that we can meet each other’s parents at same time, the next time we go to Busan… that’s like killing two birds with one stone, right?”

 

Jimin stood rooted at his spot, mentally questioning the Inspector’s sanity before he face palmed himself while shaking his head. Then without further ado he was seen racing out of his office to head toward Seokjin.

 

“Running won’t change anything,” Jungkook chuckled and quite surprisingly- for Jimin- the voice came from right beside his ear, making him to come to a skidding stop. Jungkook halted in the nick of time before he could collide with other.

 

“Why are you following me?” The secretary demanded.

 

Jungkook scoffed, “I am not following you. I myself was heading to Mr. Kim’s office, I have something to discuss with him, maybe.”

 

Jimin made a face at other’s obvious lie but silently took a step sideways and gestured for other to go before him. Jungkook talking directly in his ear from behind was an experience the elder doesn’t wish to have again. The back of his ear lobe was sensitive and he doesn’t plan on other finding that out.

 

“I had rather you walk in front and let me enjoy the view,” Jungkook whispered with his eyes ranking Jimin from head to toe, slowly. Jimin quickly looked around them to see if anyone was nearby to hear Inspector’s embarrassing words but thankfully everyone was in their respective cubicles while bent over their work.

 

“You are a biggest ert I have ever seen,” Jimin hissed.

 

“Why? Are you blind?” Jungkook retorted back. “Because half of your office staff is a ert and they have been constantly checking out your . Especially that long face, horse like guy- what’s his name- oh yeah, Jung Hoseok. Most of the time I get the feeling he will eat you alive, if given the chance,” Jungkook grimaces while crackling his knuckles like he wants nothing better than to punch someone, or more specifically Jung Hoseok.

 

Jungkook noticed Jimin has gone quite rigid, he could almost feel his words sinking in Jimin’s pretty head. Just like fate, Jung Hoseok choose that exact time to walk past them, throwing his million watts wide smile in Jimin’s direction with a cheerful morning greeting. Jungkook noticed Jimin flinched back from the other, ever so slightly, and had to resist the urge to laugh out loud at Hoseok’s confuse face. The latter had a bundle of papers in his hands- thankfully- which needed to be copied thus with a small glance at Jungkook’s grim face and he was seen walking away.

 

“Here,” Jungkook fished out his personal card from his pocket and placed it in Jimin’s pocket, while patting his sturdy chest a couple of times. “This is my personal card. Call me if something happens, I am an expert in dealing with cases, can find the even if he has gone six feet under the ground.”

 

“What?” Jimin shrieked, eyes going comically wide.

 

“Oh no don’t worry,” Jungkook assured. “I already have a person assigned to keep an eye on you 24/7… so I would be informed before anything can happen.”

 

“Now it’s a double ‘What?!’” screeched Jimin, fear evident in his mesmerizing eyes but Jungkook being the jerk only smile at other before flinging a mock salute and dashing out of the place, turning a blind eye to Jimin’s wide eyes that were near to pop out.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

“Oh here you are,” exclaimed Jungkook, standing at the mouth of small and congested looking kitchenette of Kim Enterprises. Like every other company, they had a small corner room stashed with several coffee makers, a micro-wave oven, a mini fridge and a cupboard in a corner. Park Jimin stood in front of coffee machine brewing black coffee. “I first went to your office but obviously you weren’t there… for one horrible second I thought you had made a run for your life… you know, considering how you are so well aware of my abilities, thus I could have you behind bars- or more preferably my bedroom door- in no time.”

 

Jimin just turned his face to throw a loathing glare at Jungkook, making the latter to laugh as he treaded toward the petite man.

 

“Why such an angry faces, honey?” Jungkook teased.

 

“I hate you so much,” Jimin mumbled under his breath, bringing his attention back on the coffee he was pouring in a white tall porcelain mug, which read ‘The Best Boss’- a gift for Seokjin that Jimin bought with his first salary. “You are making my life a living hell.”

 

“Why would you say that?” Jungkook asked tilting his head curiously but overall looking unfazed.

 

“Hoseok had been my best friend since the moment I entered in this company,” Jimin started bitterly. “He had always been there to help me out whenever I needed support but after what you said yesterday… I can’t bring myself to look at him the way I always had, the way one should look at their friend.”

 

“Well that’s good then,” Jungkook commented offhandedly making Jimin to snap his face toward the Inspector in surprise. “Since he doesn’t look at you like a friend should then why should you?”

 

“You are so…” Jimin gritted his teeth so hard that the sound of his pearly white clashing together was heard, even the cup in his hand rattled dangerously.

 

“Gonna splash coffee on someone again, Park,” Someone mocked in an arrogant and superior tone, making Jimin and Jungkook to snap out of their love quarrel and notice the presence of another being, Kim Woojin, the executive manager of Kim Enterprises and Kim Seokjin’s first cousin.

 

“Oh no, no sir…” Jimin gulped as he took hold of the rattling cup, eyes going down as his head bowed down a little. If there was everyone in Kim Enterprises that Jimin hate it has to be Woojin… the guy was arrogant, selfish and above all, he kept grudges far too long.

 

When Jimin had started working for Kim Enterprises he had been labelled as the most clumsiest and accident-prone person, in just one day. It had not helped that along with all other small accidents he had to face whole day, Jimin had been unfortunate enough to collide with the Executive Manager, Kim Woojin, while he had been holding a scalding cup of black coffee for Seokjin, the CEO, and Woojin had been immersed in reading some really important documents. Needless to say, Woojin had not been the only one splashed with the hot coffee; the ‘important’ documents had been drenched as well. From that day onward, Woojin’s hate for Jimin has started which had only grown as the time passed. Jimin had a fleeting feeling that Woojin’s hate for him was not due to the coffee incident from his first day, but he was far too scared to ask the man, what exactly was his problem?

 

The all-time depression and anxiety had started to show on Jimin’s face, that’s where Jung Hoseok has come in and changed Jimin’s constant frown to lips twitching and eyes turning into crescent moon due to smiling whole heartedly. Easily, in shortest time possible, Hoseok has become his best friend. He could share anything with the elder… that was until Jungkook came in his life and turned his life upside down and made him look at things in a different way, and Jimin doesn’t appreciate it.

 

“Move,” Woojin commanded as he coolly strides toward the fridge, where Jimin stood by the coffee machine. The younger did so without a word. Jungkook’s sharp eyes took in everything in keen interest. Woojin took out vitamin water bottle from the fridge and pour in a clear crystal glass before turning to look at Jungkook. “I don’t see why a clumsy person like that can be on your suspect list, Inspector. He can’t hold on to a cup of coffee let alone a heavy black briefcase.”

 

“So, should I change my suspect from him to you, Mr. Kim?” Jungkook asked sharply and enjoyed, with self-satisfaction, the sudden change in Woojin’s pale complexion to flush angry red. Without a word, the executive manager was seen running out of the room.

 

“Do you ever think before speaking?” Jimin complained. “You just say whatever comes to your mind.”

 

“Hey, not true!” Jungkook cried indignantly. “Do you have any idea how hard I try to not say everything that comes to mind whenever I see you?”

 

“Yeah? Like what?” Jimin challenged.

 

“Like how I keep wondering if your face would be just like how I imagine every night as I or not.”

 

Jungkook screamed as the slightly hot coffee dribbled down his chest, drenching his police uniform. But Jimin would still insist it had all been an accident… he was an accident-prone person, anyways.

 

O-o-o-o-O

 

Jungkook was an idiot!

 

It’s a fact stated by Taehyung, only a million times, but also admitted- only mentally- by Jungkook, on number of occasions as well. On the other hand, in his own defense, Jungkook would tell you that he is only reserve. Reaching a guy and normally striking a conversation with him gets him beyond nervous, thus the reason why he spat out the first words that comes to his mouth… his brain to mouth filter had gone expired long ago.

 

Jungkook was blunt. He had always been blunt. Let it be during the time he has to tackle a serious case or has to attend the blind dates his best friend would fix him. He had only seriously dated twice in his life… the six hard years of training in the center; the trainees weren’t allowed relationships, internal or external… and all two times the curtesy of none other than Kim Taehyung. He would always be out, eating Jungkook’s ear off, about how he was living a loner’s life… thus the origin of blind dates.

 

Nearly all of those blind dates have turned out to be fiasco. Jungkook’s blunt personality was not made to endure by everyone. It didn’t help that he would very frankly tell his supposedly ‘date’ that they were not the one Jungkook was looking for. But on two rare occasions- in other words, by some serious threats from Taehyung about Jungkook at least getting to know the person a bit before declaring them not his type- Jungkook had given the benefit of doubt to two people. They have not been able to surpass the line of three dates, in each case. One of them was not so fond of Jungkook’s dedication to his work; according to him Jungkook paid more attention to his work than him, which Jungkook secretly admitted was the truth.

 

The second one was a nice guy. He was from China, studying film and direction in Korea. Along with his actual studies- the guy was as passionate about his work as was Jungkook- he was attending evening language classes, even if his Korean speaking skills were more than okay. But, he had a flaw… a massive flaw, according to Jungkook. Even if he was studying film and direction, he was not so fond of Animations… apparently it was one subject he was failing in his college, thus the hate regarding animated movies or series. Jungkook being the Anime Maniac could not bear it been continuously degraded and ended up terminating things with the guy. It had been messy; the guy had actually cried and called him a bad guy… Jungkook’s heart had felt a pang as well… that night; Jungkook had stayed up late watching an Anime Movie ‘Kimi No Na Wa’ (Your Name)

 

By next morning, an annoyed Taehyung had hit Jungkook’s head when the younger had jumped over former’s sleeping figure exclaiming how he knows the way to find ‘the one’ for him.

 

Taehyung had been ever so kind to tell him that in real life ‘bells’ did not rung when two destine partners cross each other’s path; like the story of the Movie, Jungkook seemed to have taken a fascination of. But, thought Jungkook, if the lead characters in ‘Kimi No Na Wa’ could recognize their destine partner with the aid of chime of a bell when they were near each other, then so could Jungkook.

 

Thus, the decline of blind dates started, because Jungkook would spend hardly a couple of minutes in the presence of his blind date, long enough to explain why he kept mumbling ‘no bell, no bell’ under his breath before coolly paying for other’s dinner and rushing out of the place. Taehyung got so frustrated he stopped setting his friend up, once and for all.

 

“What are you thinking of?” A deep voice drifted from behind, snapping Jungkook out of his thoughts while he leaned against the railing of his and Taehyung’s decent size apartment’s balcony.

 

“Hmm… just the fact that I am an idiot,” Jungkook reply accompanied a sigh.

 

“You finally realized it!” exclaimed Taehyung, making a show of looking at the sky as in thanking the Almighty power above for finally giving Jungkook some sense, making latter to roll his eyes. “What triggered the epiphany?”

 

“Park Jimin hates me,” Jungkook moaned pitifully, resting his elbows on the railing and staring at the twinkling lights of the city growing as the sky turn darker and darker.

 

“And rightfully so,” Taehyung chide gently, mimicking Jungkook’s posture. “You have literally been pinning at the guy for last two weeks, following him everywhere and pestering him with unbelievably personal questions… heck you even followed him to his men’s room break. Just be glad the boy is too naïve to know that the so-called warrant you keep ing under his nose, stating ‘Permission to interrogate Park Jimin’ is fake or else, he could complain to Namjoon about it. You would found a restraining order put on you faster than you can say ‘Jimin has a hot ’.”

 

“Like any restraining order can keep me away from him,” Jungkook scoffed. “The bells rang… we are meant to be together, no one can keep us apart.”

 

“I told you,” Taehyung started exasperatedly. “It was Mr. Kim Seokjin’s weird ring tone, like the jingle of bells…

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter