Chapter 3

Give Me Some Me Times

At the evening Sowon has reach Changwon, province of Gyeongsangnam-do, known as a beloved hideout for artists. Sowon stopped by at Chang-dong Art Village, an artistic village with ateliers, cafes, and galleries took over the vacant stores, the empty town has been transformed into a street of art, characterized by its distinctly romantic ambience. A great number of unique murals and popular photo spots hide behind every corner, offering a joyful experience of exploring the alleys. Sowon excitedly wandering that village, and take lots of selfies. Every spots are beautiful and artistic, worth like a photo studio. When suddenly 2 young girls greet her.

Chang-dong Art Village

 

"Anyeonghaseo, hello, you are GFriend Sowon, right?"

Sowon tried to control herself. "No. I'm not. Do I look like her? Wow... she's very pretty, though..." she try to act as best as she can. Thank God, she not forget to put her dental brace and fake glasses.

Those girls frowning. "You are her, right? I'm sure..."

"No. I'm not. Sorry... But, if you want to take pictures with me or... do you want my signature? I will happy give it for you for free." Sowon act exageratedly while grinning widely.

Those girls shake their head then leaving Sowon who sigh in relieved. That's why this whole day she tried her best to keep take outer villages road because she worry about city crowd will recognize her easily.

 

From Chang-dong Art Village, Sowon as a seafood lover go to Masan Fish Market, the largest of its kind in Korea with over 250 years of history. The market houses more than 1.200 stores selling fresh seafood. The most popular section is the one lined with Hoetjip (raw fish restaurants), which is always bustling with people who come to taste fresh raw fish, and of course Sowon have to try it too.

Masan Fish Market

 

Sowon eat a lot again. She obviously try to find her favourite menus, and also must try menus that she never tried before. When Sowon finally feel her stomach about to explode, she forced herself to leave that market sadly and make note to comeback another time.

 

Sowon continue her journey. It's already dark when she finally enter Busan, a large port city that known for its beaches, mountains and temples. Metropolitan City on south-eastern province of South Gyeongsang. Sowon drive around the beautiful city of Busan. Also take a ride on a tour boat enjoying the beautiful views of Busan.

Then Sowon go to Mountain Hwangnyeongsan Observatory, one of the best sightseeing spots in Korea. Sowon looking at Busan city light from that height. Those colorful lights fluorescented contrary with dark night background. Sowon once again feel calm and peaceful. Sowon remember how stage lights are brighter and a lot more dazzling than city light that she looking right now. But, those stage light are give contrary feel to her than those city light. Stage light definitely make her nervous but also excited. Sowon can't pick which one better... excited and peaceful... she loves those feeling. And she won't pick any one. She want to have all. She feel embarrassed for herself. She realized that she is too greedy to want all those.

Busan night view from Mountain Hwangnyeongsan Observatory

 

Already late at night when Sowon park her car at Dongbaek Park. She decided to all out on her adventure, she'll gonna just stay and sleep at the car, and not in a hotel.

She came out from the car and locked it, then she take a walk around and find a stall of Ssiat Hotteok (씨앗호떡 : Seed-stuffed Pancake), Busan's style of hotteok, sweet pancake filled with a variety of seeds that are good for health.

Busan Ssiat Hotteok (씨앗호떡)

 

Sowon take a sit on a park seat that heading to the sea. There almost nobody else on that small city park, just some people passing by, nobody seems recognize Sowon. She's deliciously munching her still warm Ssiat Hotteok while open a can of cold beer. The shore sound and the wind blow are relaxing her.

 

Sowon has a lot of flashing memories in her mind. Her trainee time; her former group that aborted debut; her friends from former group; she also remember when she decided to move to Source Music Entertainment, her current agency; the first time she met one by one her current group members of GFriend; their dorm life all this time; their debut time; their performance stage all this time; their struggle; her own and her members injuries; how tired they were; and also how happy they are all this time; their togetherness; their love and care to each other.... suddenly she miss her dongsaengs members a lot.

 

Sowon turn on her mobile data on her cell phone for the first time that day, except when she make call to the rent car company. She in purpose shut off her mobile data, because she really doesn't want anything bothering her along her adventure. She doesn't want anybody reach her and find her. She just want to shut down her regular world connection for a moment.

 

Notifications came out heavily. Lot of misscalleds and lot more unread messages. Sowon check it one by one, then gladly sigh that just one message from her family, at the evening, from her mom :

 

Sweety, are you safely arrived at your dorm?

 

Just that...

It's enough to make Sowon burst in her tears.

 

She reply :

I'm okay, Mom. Don't worry about me. Love you... <3

 

There are misscalleds and messages from her Manager-Oppa. The begining was just asked her what time she want him to pick her up tomorrow to back to the dorm... then maybe because Sowon not answered back, he start to called her, but because she didn't picked up too, maybe thats why he keep on called her many times and sent messages more..

 

Then on GFriend group chat also very hectic. Sowon patiently read those messages, at the begining the girls are just chat and joked around like they used to be. But maybe because Sowon didn't show up for once, they start to mentioned her, then called her and asked her, but maybe because she still not showed up, they start to worry about her.

 

Sowon decided to send a message to Manager-Oppa :

Oppa, I think I need little bit more time before I'm back to the dorm. Let me extend my free days for 1 or 2 days more. Don't worry about me. I'm okay. Please don't call or ask my family. Don't make them worry. Please backed me up. I'll be back for sure. It's not gonna long. I promise. Please, tell the kids too, that I'm fine. I beg you, Oppa. Thanks.

 

Then Sowon turn off her mobile data again....

 

 

It just 3.44 a.m. KST when Sowon wake up. She had soundly slept on the car. She even wake up a minute earlier than her setted alarm. Sowon refresh herself by rub her face using wet tissue. Then she take her padded coat and a bottle of water then came out from the car. She streach her body first, then start to walk on particular path. There some people who also walk or jog, mostly even old people. She walking at the same direction with all those people. She pass through a small forest surrounded by tall camellias and thick pine groves. She keep on walking through that uphill trail path while trying to manage her breath. Some old people pass her by with light steps. "Geez... show off..." Sowon scoff in her thought, when actually she feel shame by herself that those old people are even stronger and fit than her to be able conquer that uphill trail path when she even difficult to catch breath.

 

After all that uphill trail path, Sowon begin to stepping down wooden stairs. The sky is still dark, the wind shore is heavy and cold, Sowon tighten her padded coat, she clenched her teeth to hold herself from the coldness that piercing through her bones. At the time she start to step on cement path, the sky begin to change it color. The more Sowon steps forward the more orange color brightening the sky. From a far little by little on the horizon came out a huge and beautiful 'egg yolk'. Sowon keep her focus on that 'egg yolk' while keep on walking forward and pass by a red lighthouse. She keep walking few meters more until the edge of cement path.

  

Dongbaek Park wooden stairs

Sunrise over Taejongdae Lighthouse near Dongbaek Park

 

Sowon sit on that edge, letting her legs hung down. The cold shore breeze dashed and mess her hair, but Sowon doesn't mind. She really deep into her sightseeing of sunrise at that moment. When suddenly she remember to take picture of that blissful memories using her cell phone.

 

Sowon stay still on her position until the whole sky became bright and the 'egg yolk' no longer as yolk but already spread out. Sowon also take chance to go up on the red lighthouse. She climb it stairs and came out on the top balcony. The breeze is not as cold as before, the sun already warming the air. It feel so good when the breeze dashing her face. Sowon feel so blessed to be able to witnessed those natural view and moment. She can't hold herself to start listing her gratefulness of her lifetime.

 

"God... You are truly really good God. You constantly watching over me and always make sure I'm alright. You gave me lots of grace. And I'm sure You will keep giving me on forward. Forgive me for my ridicoulous depression, especially lately... I'm sorry for running away and making my beloved people worrying me. Thank You for this opportunity to having this beautiful moment, I will not ever forget. Thank You for my carreer, my agency, my members, my friends, my family, my life, Your love. You have been able me to passed through all this time, and I'm sure You will able me on forward too. Please help me become a better person. Thank You." Sowon sincerely pray, then she feel her heart and mind are like being cleaned. She feel no more burden, as if been taken off from her shoulder and chest. She no longer feel pressed. Her tense body become relax. She breath freely, fill up her lungs with fresh air. Sowon feel free and glad.