Chapter 2

From The Moment I Met You...

Donghae's POV:

I sat in my desk, with my elbows propped on the edge and my fingers entwined. My thumbs fumbled around each other anxiously and I couldn't concentrate. Surprisingly, I still had my job, though I suffered a long, ear-splitting chewing out just minutes previously. I had a feeling that if my boss wasn't my father's best friend, I would have been fired long ago.

"Mr. Lee."

My co-worker's voice startled me and I jumped, almost falling backwards in my chair. "Ah! Ah-Yes, Miss Choi?"

"I was wondering if I could get the job applicant for a man named Lee Hyukjae? The boss wants me to let him know he's got the job and I need his number from the files."

I smiled sweetly and nodded my head. Miss Choi was always kind and sometimes timid and cute, but she was way too young for me. After all, co-workers aren't supposed to date. I reached down and yanked open the file cabinet drawer labeled "K-P".

"You can help yourself, I'm in desperate need for a restroom break. Just replace the files when you're finished and close the drawer."

I noted the slight blush on her cheeks as she clutched her clipboard to her chest and nodded. Her wide brown eyes blinked several times as I walked past her, my shoulder bumping hers.

I retreated safely to the restroom, which smelled strongly of citrus cleaner. After relieving myself I stood infront of the sinks, pulling up my sleeves and readying myself for the routinely handwash that always follows. As I reached forward to turn on the hot water, and proceded to wash my hands, I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror and paused. Without thinking, I found myself replaying the scene from earlier in my head, tracing my lips lightly with my fingertips. I closed my eyes and shook my head. Stop it, Hae. Get to work. This isn't the time to be day dreaming. 

 

Hyukjae's POV:

"Hyukkie-ah. I told you to stop running away. Even if I let you leave me, your parents would just find you and bring you back. I know you want to have your own life, and I would grant it for you if I could, but it doesn't work like that."

I listened to Shinah speak the same words she repeats every time I get into trouble or try to run away. Deep down, I felt guilty towards her. I turned around and faced her, startling her out of concentration. She poked me in the back with her sewing needle as she was trying to mend a small tear in my suit. Frustrated, she slapped my shoulder lightly and scolded me.

"Aish! Don't move so suddenly!"

I flinched and rubbed my back where the needle had stabbed me.

"Noona..."

She went back to work and hummed in response, letting me know she's listening.

"I'm looking for a job."

She poked me again.

"What?! You know you can't hold a job! You're awful at taking directions, you stubborn mule! I can barely keep you in line myself! We'll have plenty of money to support us when my parents marry me off to you. Don't worry about such things unless it's necessary."

My back was stinging and her voice penetrated my eardrums. Some small part of me down deep knew she was right, but it didn't change that I wanted to become a better person.

"Noona. Just let me try. Please."

She fell silent and stopped mending.  I waited for her answer.

"... Alright."

I smiled.