Part One: Making the Cut

Bring it On!

- - - - -



Youngwoon wasn't the most feminine of girls. She enjoyed wrestling, making loud farting noises with her armpits, and downing beers with fellow bar-visiting companions. So, when she was forced by her loving mother to audition for her high school cheerleading team, she was sure that she was going to kill someone afterwards; that is, if she didn't die of embarrassment first.

The captain of the squad, Kim Heechul, was the perfect definition of the stereotypical cheerleader. She had silky, ebony hair that travelled down the length of her back when not contained in a ponytail. Her eyes were wide and held a mischievous glimmer which perfectly matched the ever-present smirk on her face. Her lips were a glossy cherry-red and contrasted sharply with her flawless, pale skin. She was the most beautiful girl on campus if not in all of Korea.

Youngwoon knew that God hated her.

She, unlike the flawless Aphrodite previously mentioned, had unmanageable short hair that fanned out above her ears - drawing attention to the unflattering, masculine jaw line and strong cheekbones that defined her facial features. Her lips were wide and fat; completely unattractive and further pronouncing her rather chubby cheeks. She had a terrible farmer's tan from playing soccer outside with her friends during the summer. Her hips were wide and, unlike most other girls, she didn't have a defined waist.

There were only two areas that Youngwoon felt she topped Heechul in. One of them was eyes. Although Heechul had playful, bright eyes, Youngwoon's eyes were smoky and fox-like, practically emanating . To add to her miniscule list of womanly charms, Youngwoon was rather busty; unlike Heechul. She was exceptionally proud of her chest area and always attracted the attention of others; that was, until she was teased for being so well-developed back in middle school. From that point in her life, she decided to revert back to her tomboy-like ways and wear baggy jeans and long t-shirts. And it had worked…until now.

So, here she was, along with at least twenty other girls, in a large gymnasium standing awkwardly in front of the top three cheerleaders - Kim Heechul, Lee Sungmin, and Zhou Mi. Once everyone had settled down, Heechul cleared and gazed around the room. Her eyes immediately stopped upon the sight of Youngwoon's figure clad in a tank top and booty shorts. She stifled a giggle with a hand to .

"Are you serious?" Heechul snorted before continuing, "I never thought a guy would audition for this."

Youngwoon felt the anger rise within her quickly. She clenched her fists to her side when the restrained laughing of the girls around her reached her ears. Yes, she had a rather solid build - however, that didn't give someone the right to insult her. She could kick anyone's without even lifting a finger. That ! I'll show her... Youngwoon bit her lip and held her head proudly as she retorted back with a previously hidden fire.

"What? Are you scared I'm going to take your position as captain?"

There was a collective intake of breath and silence developing quickly amongst the girls present. No one had ever insulted Kim Heechul before. It was unheard of unless you wanted to commit social suicide.

The cheerleader captain clicked her tongue and squinted her eyes at Youngwoon as if to challenge her. Her lips curved into a sinister smirk as she began to address the audience in the room.

"Alright," she began. "Everyone is going to go one by one to demonstrate the routine Mimi will perform for you right now. If you can't follow her moves exactly when I call on you, you're cut from auditions. We only accept the best."

Youngwoon felt the nauseous feeling in her stomach escalating quickly. She took a few deep breaths before nodding confidently and deciding that she wouldn't make a fool out of herself. Even though she didn't want to be a cheerleader, this was now a fight for her pride - and she'd never let a prissy like Kim Heechul beat her.

As the music started to play, she watched Zhou Mi's figure move with careful eyes. She examined the way the other girl's body twisted and spun quickly to the beat. She could do this! The routine didn't look that hard at all! Youngwoon was feeling more confident than ever. She wasn't the best dancer, but she sure as hell could do basic turns and flips - albeit they would never be as graceful as Zhou Mi's. She felt a cocky smile forming along her lips as the music started to slow down.

But, her face suddenly blanched. Everything was going smoothly until Zhou Mi ended in the splits.

All of the girls around her clapped wildly and cheered for Zhou Mi's brilliance - hoping to gain some favor in her eyes. The tall, long-legged girl strutted back to the judging table and flipped her shoulder-length hair, smiling warmly at Sungmin and Heechul. The latter turned to the crowd before them and her eyes locked immediately on Youngwoon's. Her lips curved at the corners as they formed her devilish trademark smirk.

"Kim Youngwoon," she announced loudly. "You may have the honors of going first."

Youngwoon gritted her teeth and smiled calmly back at Heechul before replying.

"My pleasure," she hissed.

Though her body was almost twice the size as the other girls', Youngwoon had the drive to succeed. She put all of her effort into the performance and flaunted her curves whenever she had the opportunity. Her body waves and popping skills were extraordinary - much better than Zhou Mi's flat body, for sure. However, it soon came to the 'make it or break it' point; the splits. Youngwoon took a deep breath and spread her legs out as she jumped into the air. She landed in the perfect position on the floor, although she was pretty sure she tore at least five muscles in her thighs and lower back, and managed to smile up at Heechul. The other was taken aback. She never pictured Youngwoon - the disgusting, impish tomboy, would be this exceptional.

She picked at her nails silently in the next brief moments while Sungmin and Zhou Mi conversed in whispers.

"," Sungmin whispered, one hand absentmindedly twirling a short pigtail. "She's actually really good."

Zhou Mi nodded and turned to Heechul, who was still deep in thought.

"What should we do, Chullie?"

Heechul bit her lip and sighed exasperatedly. She had no other choice.

"Kim Youngwoon," she said with the smallest hint of annoyance, "welcome to the team."

Youngwoon blinked a few times before bowing, forming a cheeky grin. Even though she didn't want to be a cheerleader, at least she'd proven herself now. Besides, from this 'inside position', she could easily find a way to put Kim Heechul in her place.

Zhou Mi and Sungmin stared wide-eyed at Heechul. They couldn't believe what they'd just heard. Sungmin grabbed onto Heechul's forearm and whispered harshly into her ear.

"You can't be serious."

Heechul turned her head slightly in Sungmin's direction and replied with a simple, "I am, Minnie." She closed her eyes and blissfully played out her future plans in her mind. Oh yes, she was sure alright. I'll make Youngwoon go through Hell under my watch and make a fool out of her…She'll be begging for mercy. She opened her eyes again and smiled as she saw Youngwoon heading towards the exit of the gymnasium. All she had to do was sit through another twenty auditions or so and then she could start to plan the other's downfall.

It's about time she learns who rules this school.



- - - - -

End, Part I/?