Chapter II

Hybrid

  Chapter II - Discovery

 
 
 

2nd April 2017

 

 

Junhwe stretched his arms above his head before fishing his phone out of his pocket, looking for any new messages from Jinhwan. He hadn’t been waiting for long, no more than five minutes and yet he felt like he couldn’t wait any longer.

 

Thankfully, only a few seconds later, Junhwe caught sight of the main door opening and by rote looked in the direction of the movement, feeling his heart beat pick up when he recognized Jinhwan.

 

Much like Junhwe himself, Jinhwan was wearing simple clothes, a plain black shirt that struck strongly with the milky whiteness of his showing collarbones and slim blue jeans that emphasized his more than slim legs. He was holding his jacket with one arm as he ran a hand through the short orange locks that were still pulled in that same strangely manly way.

 

Junhwe’ eyes then rose to the elder’s face, feeling a small smile settle on his lips as he took in the familiar cat-like lips and dark eyes as Jinhwan roamed his gaze around the room.

 

Junhwe did a small wave with his arm, feeling just as stupid as he had felt only a day ago at the café. Thankfully, Jinhwan’s eyes swiftly shot towards the table Junhwe was sitting at, his face lighting up in recognition.

 

 

It took him only a few seconds to reach the table Junhwe was sitting at before flopping down, a huge grin on his face.

 

I’m really happy you came.” Jinhwan said as he smoothed down his hair a bit ruffled from the wind outside.

 

Junhwe nodded at that, not really sure what he could answer. He had been more than delighted to be invited and for nothing in the world would he have not come but Junhwe reckoned saying that out loud would make him sound way too desperate.

 

Soon enough, silence settled upon them and it felt awkward. Junhwe had never really been a social butterfly and it was always in situations like these that he hoped he wasn’t so hopeless.

 

Thankfully, Jinhwan always managed to find things to say.

 

So, what did you do today?” he asked, a small smile gracing his features.

 

I worked on an assignment with my partner, Donghyuk.” Junhwe answered, noticing the way Jinhwan’s brows furrowed at the mention of the name.

 

Junhwe could understand where the confusion was from. After all, Jinhwan had never met him before and had most definitely never heard of him either.

 

Is he a friend of yours?” The elder asked in what sounded to be a wary voice to Junhwe’s ears.

 

Junhwe swiftly nodded, paying close attention to Jinhwan’s behaviour. It wasn’t like Junhwe was trying to fool himself into believing that Jinhwan was jealous, but the way the elder had glanced away, his ears slightly red made Junhwe want to push it a bit more.

 

He’s the closest friend I have right now.” He said as he looked around the room, avoiding eye contact.

 

If Junhwe missed the small twitch of Jinhwan’s lips, he definitely heard the bitterness in his voice when he spoke up shortly after.

 

Yeah, I surely can smell that.”

 

Junhwe’s eyes rushed back up to Jinhwan face, feeling his heart beat immediately increase when he took in the elder’s scrunched up face and clouded dark eyes. He was glancing away, his cheeks puffed out and lips curled down in a small pout that made Junhwe think more than ever that Jinhwan was just too adorable for words.

 

He wanted to believe that Jinhwan low-key meant that he didn’t like smelling anyone on Junhwe and the younger was very much aware of how possessive that was for a Lycos. The thought of Jinhwan being jealous brought a small smile to Junhwe’s lips as he thought back on the many occurrences on which Jinhwan had mentioned his smell.

 

It suddenly brought a question to Junhwe’s mind and didn’t have time to think his sentence through as the words left his lips without him even having time to make them go through the filter of decency. He was just too curious for his own good.

 

I never got to ask you if you ever liked my smell.”

 

At that, Jinhwan’s eyes shot up to meet Junhwe’s, the surprise clear in the dark orbs. Junhwe could feel his heart beat increase in apprehension. He knew very well what liking someone’s smell meant for Lycoi.

 

It’s strange.” Jinhwan said after a few seconds, his answer making Junhwe’s stomach drop in disappointment. Jinhwan must have noticed the change in Junhwe’s feelings, either by his dejected face or by his most likely changing smell as he quickly added: “But in a nice way!”

 

Junhwe almost snorted. “That doesn’t make much sense.”

 

I like it.”

 

Jinhwan’s voice had been so small and the sentence so sudden that Junhwe thought for a second that he had dreamt it but the fidgeting of the elder and the way he was looking away with his cheeks bright red as if he was ashamed made Junhwe believe otherwise.

 

A small satisfied smile made its way onto Junhwe lips as a comfy heat spread throughout his body, the idea of Jinhwan finally admitting that made Junhwe feel weirdly fuzzy in a very nice way.

 

 

The good thing about Jinhwan finally saying these words – that Junhwe didn’t even know he had been craving – was that it made the younger feel more confident regarding the red hair’s feelings. He felt less worried and on edge knowing that the attraction could be mutual. The downside however, was that now Jinhwan was completely embarrassed and looked to be very intrigued by the painting of a swan on the nearest wall as he kept staring at it with very red cheeks.

 

Junhwe cleared his throat awkwardly, feeling his own cheek heat up. Jinhwan was still very keen on avoiding Junhwe’s gaze as he was now glancing around the restaurant, his lips thinned out and his brows furrowed.

 

It almost looked like he was frowning in a very cute manner that immediately brought a smile to Junhwe’s lips. The younger let his eyes roam around Jinhwan’s face shamelessly, feeling his heart swell up with an unknown affection. It was scaring him how he could remember so well each mole’s emplacement and each elegant curve of his features, and yet he was liking every second he got to stare at the elder’s perfect face.

 

He knew that he probably was being completely biased and he could see how to some people, Jinhwan’s eyes could be a bit too small, his nose too straight, his face too round, but somehow, despite that Junhwe still thought that he was the most gorgeous man he had ever laid his eyes upon. He loved every single little bits that composed his figure from the way his long eyelashes brushed against his cheeks to how his eyes disappeared when he smiled.

 

Without even realising it, Junhwe’s eyes slowly descended to stop in Jinhwan’s lips, feeling his mouth becoming suddenly dry and his heart beat picking up. He wondered what would Jinhwan’s reaction be if he suddenly kissed him in the middle of the restaurant without any warning. He would probably angry, but Junhwe reckoned it could almost be worth earning Jinhwan’s wrath if it were to feel once more the ghost of the elder’s lips on his.

 

 

Junhwe was suddenly thrown out of his reverie as a waiter arrived, handing them the menus and asking for the beverages they desired.

 

If he had been very sad to be interrupted in his intense staring, Junhwe almost regretted the moment the waiter left, leaving the two of them to stare at one another in an utterly awkward silence.

 

Junhwe then noticed how Jinhwan’s focus suddenly shifted from his face to his bleached hair as his lips curled up in an affectionate smile. Junhwe felt his stomach do loopings and couldn’t help but smile back, remembering the earlier compliment on his new hair colour.

 

He then looked up to Jinhwan’s own hair, feeling his smile widen even more at the hair-do. He really thought it gave the man a more mature vibe and Junhwe was enjoying every single part of his manlier appearance.

 

I like you hair too.” He then said, letting the words flow out of his mouth before he chickened out.

 

The few seconds it took for Jinhwan to react seemed to be the longest in Junhwe’s entire life. He had felt his hear beat pick up and his face warm up, being all flustered from a simple compliment on someone’s appearance as he glanced away, unable to hold the other man’s gaze. He really needed to work on his social skills.

 

Thanks.” Jinhwan then replied, making Junhwe attention shift back to the elder.

 

Jinhwan was smiling the way Junhwe loved the most, when his eyes crinkled at the corners and his whole face seemed to be lit with a genuine and sincere happiness. It forced a grin out of him and it made Junhwe painfully aware of how much he smiled around the elder. It also made him aware of how little he had smiled for the past months.

 

He was really happy to be able to see Jinhwan again.

 

 

For the second time of the day, Junhwe was cut in his admiration of Jinhwan’s face when their waiter arrived with their drinks and ready to take their orders, which made Junhwe glance down at the menu in a rush and reading the first thing he had seen on the list before ordering it. He hadn’t even taken one glance at the meals offered ever since he had arrived and he didn’t even regret it. He had been staring at something way better.

 

 

 

Thankfully for him, the meal he had chosen had turned out to be a simple noodle plate with shrimps which had tasted like heaven. Jinhwan had ordered meat and that pork had looked so good that Junhwe had almost asked the elder to give him a bite but he had resisted the urge, thinking that it would make him look to desperate to interact with the elder. Even if, well, he kind of was.

 

Paying had been easier this time around, both agreeing that they should just pay for what they ate, making it simpler for everyone. They had spent their meal making small talk about studies and life projects, and even if Jinhwan hadn’t straight out mentioned his offer, Junhwe knew that he should really start thinking about what to do with the house.

 

 

 

When they left the restaurant, the first thing that hit Junhwe was the strong chill wind, making his whole body freeze up. The sun had set, letting the pavement to be basked in the moon’s faint glow and the temperature to cool down. Junhwe knew, after checking on his phone that it was now nearing 8pm and even if they had spent almost two hours together, he didn’t feel like leaving just yet.

 

Once he stood in front his car, looking back at the elder, Junhwe tried to rack his brain for anything that would allow him to stay with Jinhwan just a bit longer but it seemed as if he couldn’t come up with anything.

 

To his surprise, Jinhwan was probably just as desperate Junhwe felt since he then spoke up.

 

Do you, maybe, want to, uhm, come over to my flat? I actually have something to give you.” He said as he glanced away, playing with his key cars.

 

Junhwe had no idea if the elder really did have something for him and even if it was an old pair of boxers that had been forgotten, he would gladly get them back just for the sake of being able to stay with Jinhwan more.

 

Yeah, sure.” Junhwe answered, trying to keep his voice neutral.

 

It was really hard for Junhwe not to squeal when Jinhwan’s face suddenly relaxed, all worry slipping from his figure as a carefree grin made his way onto his perfect features.

 

 

 

The drive to the flat seemed endless to Junhwe. For a moment he had almost thought he had been following the wrong car but then the familiar white building had come into view, forcing a tired sigh out of Junhwe’s lips. He just wanted to get out of his old tacky car already and be able to smell Jinhwan’s familiar scent that the flat was most likely basking in.

 

Walking up the three flight of stairs was the most tiring thing Junhwe had probably done in the past year, the lazy college life taking away all his stamina. He was completely winded when he finally arrived in front of the opened door leading inside the flat, Jinhwan waiting for him there.

 

 

Junhwe didn’t hesitate before flopping down on the sofa, trying to catch his breath. He could see from the corner of his eyes Jinhwan going into his room before coming out soon after with two plastic bags, once very small and another bigger one.

 

He looked embarrassed and almost sheepish as he stood in front of Junhwe, his gaze stuck on the floor.

 

So, well, Dongmin told me it was your birthday three days ago and I thought I could give you something...”

 

For a second it was as if the air had been knocked out of Junhwe lungs as he stared wordlessly at Jinhwan’s red face. He had purposely tried to ignore his birthday and hadn’t told anybody, not even Donghyuk. Junhwe hadn’t really felt like celebrating his 20th birthday in his lonely home, and for the first time of his life, without his mother. Even if she had always been a very busy woman, she had always found a way to be available for Junhwe’s birthdays and the thought of having a party without her had seemed completely unimaginable.

 

It wasn’t like Junhwe had been craving presents, he didn’t really care, but it really warmed his heart to know that Dongmin remembered and had told Jinhwan. Junhwe knew his best friend like the back of his hand. He knew he had probably done it on purpose so that Junhwe wouldn’t feel too bad about this first of many lonely birthdays that were to come.

 

It almost brought him to tears.

 

Thank you, Hyung.” Junhwe said with a genuine smile, gratefulness dripping from his voice.

 

Jinhwan then sat down next to him, dropping the bigger plastic bag in his laps.

 

We didn’t really get to wrap them, though. Sorry.” Jinhwan said with an apologetic smile as he scooted closer, bumping shoulders with Junhwe.

 

Junhwe shook his head with a smile, waving the apology off. He really couldn’t care less about tearing the wrapping. He quickly fished the gift out of the bag, feeling the smooth fabric against his finger tip. Junhwe swiftly unfolded the white piece of clothing and held it, arms extended, in front of his face.

 

It was a plain white hoodie and for a second Junhwe was a bit confused as to why Jinhwan would give that to him, especially since he had another one. But then he remembered that the onther one he had was a coffee stained one.

 

That’s from Dongmin.” Jinhwan then added.

 

Junhwe tensed up, realisation flooding over him. He opened his mouth as if to say something but closed it shortly after, unable to form words. He then noticed a small piece of paper at the very bottom of the plastic bag and quickly fished it out.

 

Junhwe quickly unfolded it, feeling Jinwhan’s eyes on him. It was a small note and there wasn’t much written but it only took one glance for Junhwe to recognize Dongmin’s terrible handwriting.

 

 

 

I’m really sorry for the hoodie my coffee ruined,

I hope you’ll forgive me.

 

Love you, idiot.

 

Dong.

 

 

 

It took everything Junhwe had for him not to start crying right there and then. He had really been worried about his friendship with Dongmin. He was his oldest and most precious friend and he really regretted the way he had acted with him.

 

These two short sentences were all Junhwe wanted to hear. Dongmin didn’t hate him and he wasn’t angry.

 

Junhwe took a deep breath as put the hoodie down on his lap, the fabric faintly. He then glanced up at Jinhwan, feeling his throat become even tighter as he saw the fondness in the older man’s dark eyes. He was smiling radiantly, his face warm and loving as he brought a hand to Junhwe’s back, patting him softly.

 

Thank you so much for bringing me that.” Junhwe whispered, feeling a pleasant warmth spread out his body as he glanced back at the brand new hoodie.

 

You should be thanking Dongmin.” Jinhwan whispered back, voice soothing.

 

These words meant a lot to Junhwe because it was a way of assuring him that he was eventually going to be able to see Dongmin again, that they would be able to go back to the way it was, and it was all that Junhwe wished.

 

 

He carefully folded the hoodie again, putting it back in the plastic bag before reaching for the small one on Jinhwan’s lap. The man’s hand that had been resting on Junhwe’s back suddenly stopped rubbing circles as Jinhwan tensed up. He looked expectant but also worried and Junhwe found it incredibly endearing.

 

When Junhwe had reached down the bag, he had not been expecting anything in particular but he had been very surprised to feel something cold and metallic against his fingers. He swiftly fished the present out, holding it in his palm as he stared down at his hand.

 

It was a very thin silver chain with small leaves-like carving on the links and a star pendant. Junhwe couldn’t tear his eyes away from the necklace, feeling his cheek heat up the longer he stared. He couldn’t really explain why, but he had always thought that buying jewels was a very personal thing to do and it made his heart flutter to receive this kind of gift from Jinhwan.

 

It looked very elegant and discreet, and Junhwe loved it.

 

I’m sorry if it’s weird, I just thought you’d like it, because of the night sky, you know...” Jinhwan trailed off as he took his hand away to run it through his hair nervously.

 

Junhwe glanced at the star pendant once more, feeling his heart beat pick up at the memory of the gorgeous skyline and let a smile blossom on his lips.

 

It looks great, thank you.” Junhwe said sincerely as he looked up to Jinhwan’s red face.

 

The elder didn’t hold his gaze and quickly averted his eyes, looking down at his feet with red ears and a small satisfied smile. Jinhwan looked so pleased and genuinely happy, sitting next to Junhwe in silence that the younger boy didn’t think twice before carefully placing the chain back in the bag and tugging on Jinhwan’s arm to bring him closer.

 

Junhwe had never really been a physical affection person and he was definitely not the kind to give hugs as thanks but he figured that it was always a good justification to feel the older man’s body against his own.

 

So, without even thinking his actions through, Junhwe turned his body towards Jinhwan’s and brought a hand to the man’s back, pushing their chests together. Junhwe shamelessly buried his face in Jinhwan’s shoulder, letting out a breath he didn’t even he was holding at the pleasant feeling.

 

Jinhwan had been a bit stiff for a few seconds but had eventually relaxed, raising a hand up to Junhwe hair before gently it, making the younger shiver.

 

Junhwe couldn’t really tell how long they remained like this, in silence and bodies touching, heart beat fast and breathings deep. But at some point, he had let his eyes close and his body completely relax. He could have almost fell asleep right there, with Jinhwan’s honey smell invading his nostrils, but the elder suddenly spoke up, bringing Junhwe back to reality.

 

Do you want to spend the night?”

 

Junhwe head shot up before he stared down at the elder, his cheeks heating up from the close proximity of their faces. It took some time for Junhwe to finally process the elder’s words and when he finally had, he wasn’t really sure what to answer.

 

I mean, it’s getting late and we’re both going to attend college tomorrow anyway, we could go together.” Jinhwan added quickly, his own cheeks reddening.

 

No matter how much Junhwe wanted to say yes, he really couldn’t. He needed to bring a few papers for his and Donghyuk’s project and those were back at his own house. He reluctantly shook his head, feeling his heart drop even more when he saw the disappointment in Jinhwan’s eyes.

 

We’ll need to talk at some point.” Jinhwan then said before standing up.

 

And even if Junhwe felt a bit confused, he thought he knew what the elder meant by that. They had been close to being something, or at least he believed so and he still wanted for Jinhwan to be more than a nice Hyung.

 

Junhwe could tell the attraction was mutual, but it wasn’t just as simple. Even if the war wasn’t in the way any more, Junhwe knew how much of a childish adult he was. He had never really been in any serious relationship and he didn’t want to that one up.

 

The fact that none of them was entirely human was also something that worried Junhwe. Even if he had not had any problems with his newly discovered conditions as a Hybrid so far, it didn’t mean that he wasn’t still looking for answers.

 

Yeah, we’ll need to.” Junhwe finally agreed as he stood up as well, plastic bags in hand.

 

 

The two of them walked up to the front door in silence. As Junhwe stood in the door frame, ready to leave, he couldn’t help the slight ache he felt in his heart as he looked at Jinhwan.

 

The elder was standing just a step away from him, looking up to meet Junhwe’s eyes with a small smile that looked slightly sad. Junhwe wished he could kiss that pout off Jinhwan’s face, but he knew he would overstep his boundaries, no matter how much he was craving it.

 

It was with a small awkward wave and a faintly whispered “Goodnight” that Junhwe finally turned around and walked up to the stair case, feeling a strange sense of loss overcome him as he walked down the steps.

 

He wished the next could come already so that he could see Jinhwan faster.

 

 

 

 

 

 

3rd April 2017

 

 

 

Junhwe sighed deeply as he glanced up at the white board, before looking down to his phone. It was 11am, he was in his last course of the day, History of Psychology and even if he decided to care more about his studies, his hate for that particular course was still just as present.

 

The only upside was that Donghyuk attended that class too and they would usually talk and find ways to make that one hour go by faster. Sadly, Donghyuk wasn’t there yet and the lesson was about to start.

 

Junhwe wasn’t going to survive if Donghyuk wasn’t there. He nervously the star pendant hanging from the chain around his neck as he glanced around the room, seeing if there was anyone who he could sit with instead but he didn’t really know his classmates for that course.

 

Thankfully, only a second after the teacher had entered the room, Donghyuk arrived, casting a small apologetic smile to their teacher before jumping up the stairs two by two and flopping down next to Junhwe.

 

I thought you were going to leave me to suffer through that alone.” Junhwe whispered as the teacher spoke up to talk about their last test.

 

Of course not, buddy.” Donghyuk snorted as he bumped shoulder with Junhwe playfully.

 

 

It wasn’t an unusual thing for Donghyuk to be late or skip classes. He was very much alike Junhwe before the winter vacation, not caring much about his studies and in love with not being on time for the courses.

 

Junhwe cast a side glance to his friend, surprised to see that Donghyuk was staring back. He was looking in silence at Junhwe’s chest, his brows furrowed as if he was very confused.

 

Is that a new hoodie? How many do you even have?” Donghyuk asked, eyes wide in disbelief.

 

Junhwe did have many hoodies, probably at least two of each colour of the rainbow but he only had one white hoodie and he hadn’t been able to wear it ever since Donghyuk had arrived for the stains didn’t want to disappear even with hundreds of washings.

 

But now he had a new favourite white hoodie to wear.

 

Just as Junhwe was about to answer Donghyuk’s question regarding the origin of that new piece of clothing, his friend’s eyes widened even more as he looked up to Junhwe’s neck.

 

You didn’t tell me you had a girlfriend!” He almost shouted, bringing a few curious stares to their table.

 

Junhwe looked around, embarrassed and very confused. He brought a hand up to his neck, feeling the smooth skin until his fingertips brushed against the cold metal of his new necklace. His eyes widened in understanding. After all, that necklace was indeed very pretty and even if Junhwe had tried to ignore it, it really looked like something a girlfriend would gift.

 

I don’t have one! The necklace and the hoodie are from friends, for my birthday!” Junhwe half-whispered half-shouted back, feeling his face heat up.

 

 

Junhwe had thought Donghyuk would mock him, or simply shrug but unlike what he had been expecting, his friend’s mouth suddenly dropped and his eyes blinked a few times as if he had a hard time comprehending what he had just heard.

 

You never told me it was your birthday.” Donghyuk whispered, his voice so soft that Junhwe almost didn’t hear him.

 

His friend was looking at him with furrowed eyebrows and a pout so overdone that he looked more ridicule than pitiful. Junhwe knew, from the playful glow in Donghyuk’s eyes, that he wasn’t really mad, but he was right. Junhwe had purposely never told him, even if Donghyuk had told him when his was. It was in January and Junhwe was going to make sure to buy him something real good to make it up for him.

 

When was it?” Donghyuk asked, the smile back on his face.

 

31st March.” Junhwe answered as he picked up his pen, taking a few notes of what was written on the board.

 

Donghyuk remained silent for a few seconds, humming in thoughts. He wasn’t listening to what the teacher was saying at all and Junhwe knew that he wasn’t going to take notes either. What Junhwe hated the most about Donghyuk was how smart his friend was. He never wrote any of what was being said during the lessons but he always managed to get top grades.

 

Junhwe never really understood why, but he was sure that Donghyuk was some sort of genius. Or maybe it was him that was too dumb.

 

 

It’s only the 3rd of April, I can still give you something.” Donghyuk said as he stretched out his arms above his head.

 

Junhwe whipped his head around to stare at his friend. He knew about Doghyuk’s situation. His parents were still back in Jeju and he was living on his own in Seoul with no financial support whatsoever. Junhwe was aware of how much Donghyuk was struggling with money, having to work part time to make the ends meet.

 

You’re not buying me anything.” Junhwe stated as he stared at Donghyuk.

 

He friend gave him a big crooked grin before shaking his head and humming some weird song.

 

I want to give you something for your birthday, you’re my only friend here.” Donghyuk shot back as he slouched on his desk, glancing at Junhwe from the corner of his eyes.

 

Junhwe sighed as he racked his brain for something not too expensive that he could eventually asked of his friend, but he couldn’t really find anything. There was nothing that he really wanted, besides ice cream since he always wanted ice cream.

 

That was when Junhwe got the best idea he ever had.

 

How about you invite me to eat at that fancy ice cream place down the street? I’ve always wanted to try their strawberry flavoured one.” Junhwe offered.

 

Donghyuk didn’t really seem to like the idea, probably because that shop wasn’t even that expensive to begin with and also because he most likely thought that an ice cream wasn’t the best birthday present ever but that was what Junhwe wanted. He had walked past that new shop at least a hundred of times in the past weeks and he never really had the time to sit down and eat one. Plus, he’d rather go there with a friend.

 

After a few more minutes of thinking, Donghyuk finally agreed with a small pout to which Junhwe answered with his brightest smile. He felt like a child on Christmas.

 

 

 

When the bell finally rung after what had seemed like hours of endless expectant waiting, Junhwe quickly packed all of his school stuff in his bag excitedly, and left the room with a hurried Donghyuk in his tracks.

 

They both decided, once they had managed to get to the main yard after going through the thousands of bodies rushing to get out, that they should first head to somewhere to eat lunch and then go grab the ice cream once they would be finished with the main dish.

 

They had no courses on Monday afternoons and they had the rest of the day to hang out. Junhwe fished out his phone to check if he had received any messages from Jinhwan but sadly, he had none. He really did like spending time with Donghyuk but he would have loved to be able to see Jinhwan at least once.

 

He had no idea if the elder even had classes on Monday morning, he couldn’t really remember and it made Junhwe note in a corner of his mind to ask for Jinhwan’s schedules.

 

 

 

 

Just as they were about to leave the school grounds, Junhwe heard his name being called in the distance and swiftly turned around as he recognized the sweet and gentle voice of the elder, making his heart beat faster. He couldn’t believe that he was going to be able to talk with Jinhwan so soon.

 

Jinhwan was walking towards the two of them, staring at Junhwe with a big grin, but as he came closer, his smile slowly started to fall. He then glanced at Donghyuk and the last hint of curved up lips completely disappeared.

 

Jinhwan stopped a meter away from them, his gaze stuck on Donghyuk, his brows furrowed in confusion and his nose scrunched up.

 

Junhwe reckoned that Jinhwan had most likely recognized the smell that had been on Junhwe when they had went to the restaurant yesterday and it made Junhwe flush to know that Jinhwan seemed to dislike Donghyuk’s smell that much, probably because of the mere fact that he was close to Junhwe. Jinhwan being jealous meant that Jinhwan cared and the thought made Junhwe’s beat faster.

 

 

That warm feeling however began to slip away as Junhwe realised that Jinhwan wasn’t even blinking, too focused on Donghyuk. He was looking at him up and down, his eyes void of any anger. He looked curious and a bit thrown off but nowhere close to jealous.

 

Junhwe glanced sideways at his friend, feeling his heart beat painfully when he noticed the way Donghyuk was staring back, looking just as surprised and confused, but also very much interested.

 

 

The tension in the air was so obvious it was almost palpable. The two men remained silent as the seconds stretched out to become minutes of very uncomfortable staring. Junhwe had no idea of what was happening but all he knew was that he really didn’t like what was happening.

 

Finally, Jinhwan spoke up, his voice cautious and low.

 

What are you?”

 

Junhwe’s attention shifted from Jinhwan to Donghyuk, watching the way his fiend’s eyes widened as he glanced at Junhwe warily, his lips tightly shut.

 

Don’t worry, Junhwe knows about Lycoi. Tell me what you are.” Jinhwan ordered, his voice serious but not aggressive.

 

Junhwe felt his heart stop for a second as he stared at Donghyuk. He had never felt that dumbfounded before. Donghyuk was probably just as confused as Junhwe felt since he quickly turned towards Junhwe, staring at him with eyes wide fro the surprise.

 

You know? But you’ve never reacted to any of my signs or commented on my smell!” Donghyuk said, his voice accusing and eyes filled with puzzlement.

 

Junhwe looked between Jinhwan and Donghyuk in silence, unable to say anything. He had indeed noticed the way Donghyuk would often bring wolves up or how he had often asked for Junhwe to let him come to that forest but he had never thought much of it.

 

It did make more sense now that he knew Donghyuk to be a Lycos. What surprised Junhwe was rather why Donghyuk hadn’t asked him anything regarding his weird smell. If there was anything he had learned from being with Lycoi, it was that he had a very peculiar scent that had made every Lycos so far very confused.

 

But even when Junhwe thought back on their very first meeting, Donghyuk hadn’t seem surprised of confused, he had just smiled brightly and had started talking to Junhwe like a normal person.

 

Maybe Donghyuk’s nose was just as bad as Dongmin’s and he hadn’t been able to smell the Lycos part of Junhwe’s scent.

 

Well, I can’t really smell anything so I couldn’t have known that you were a Lycos.” Junhwe then said.

 

Donghyuk’s eyes widened even more as he glanced at Jinhwan, his eyes filled with unspoken questions. Junhwe found his own eyes meeting Jinhwan’s but the elder looked just as puzzled at the two of them.

 

How can you not smell anything?” Donghyuk asked slowly, his head tilted inquiringly.

 

Junhwe thought of the best way to answer this question. He would have simply said that it was because he was human and couldn’t smell the way Lycoi did, but it would have been a lie, because Junhwe wasn’t entirely human. He had never had to say it aloud and it made him feel weird to suddenly imagine his lips forming around the word. It felt like he was about to admit a secret and he didn’t like the way his heart was beating painfully in his chest.

 

He glanced warily at Jinhwan, as if asking for permission. Donghyuk obviously knew of the Lycos world and it probably wouldn’t be a problem for Junhwe to say that he was a Hybrid to his friend but he was still very unsure.

 

He had signed many papers for the Lycoi Justice, mainly so that they would rest assured that Junhwe would never speak of the Lycos world to anybody, but that didn’t include Lycoi.

 

And so, Junhwe took a long, deep breath as he slowly opened his mouth, his stomach churning uncomfortably.

 

I’m a Hybrid, I can’t smell.” He stated as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

 

But Donghyuk seemed to disagree. His eyes opened so wide Junhwe was scared they would fall out. He looked completely thrown off and shocked and it almost hurt Junhwe’s feelings.

 

He hadn’t really known how other Lycoi would see the fact of him being a Hybrid but he had hoped that he wouldn’t be hated for something he hadn’t chosen to be.

 

 

Donghyuk walked up to Junhwe, standing right in front of him as he stared into his eyes seriously. Junhwe had never seen his friend look so grave before.

 

Junhwe, I’m a Hybrid and I surely smelt that you were too.” Donghyuk said very slowly, his voice clear and sincere as he brought a hand to Junhwe’s shoulder.

 

Junhwe blinked a few times as he tried to proceed the new information. He averted his gaze, looking down at his feet as the sentence echoed in his brain. He wasn’t really sure what had confused him more between the fact that he wasn’t the only Hybrid, or the fact that Donghyuk had been able to smell him.

 

 

(6087 words)

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes:Thank you again for reading this chapter. Don't forget to leave a comment if you enjoyed it !