Chapter 2

Magnet Attraction

    Chanhee was ushered inside a homely Korean grill restaurant. Youngbin was in front of him, and upon entering, was greeted with much cheer and pomp that has Chanhee thinking that most of the customers are close regulars. He immediately took notice of the woman behind the bar counter who looked up to assess the commotion, only to break out into a wide smile herself at the sight of Youngbin.

    “My dear grandson! How are you?”

    Youngbin and his grandmother shared a brief moment to catch up, while Chanhee gripped at his bag and looked around the restaurant. It was brightly lit, the smell of wood, smoke, and meat wafting about, and the furniture and décor had a rustic touch about them that made everything feel cozy and welcoming for a nice home-cooked meal.

    “Grandma, this is Chanhee. Chanhee, this is Grandma.” Chanhee fixed his posture and bowed politely as Youngbin formally introduced hin.

    “It’s my pleasure to meet you Grandma.”

    “Oh he is well-mannered and adorable! I think I might have just found a new grandson!” Grandma’s eyes were warm as a gentle laugh tumbled from . Chanhee blushed and bowed deeply again. It was obvious that kindness ran in Youngbin’s family. Pretty soon he was being made to sit down on a table and was looking over the menu as Grandma fussed about his skinny frame.

    “You need to eat more child! And don’t worry, it’s on the house for being my Youngbin’s friend!”

    Chanhee looked helplessly at Youngbin, who was still standing up besides him and sharply checking over his phone. Creases settled on his forehead as he read over the screen, and he hastily muttered something to Grandma.

    “Hyung do you have to go now?”

    “Yeah I have to go. There’s a meeting with the producers that I can’t miss. Chanhee you’re staying here, no ifs and buts. Grandma will tell you your job, and you start working tomorrow. You’ll be fine and safe here, but if there’s any problems you want to talk about you know my number. Ok, now I really need to go.” Youngbin promptly waved farewell and turned around to head towards the exit.

    “Wait Youngbin-hyung!” Chanhee got up from his seat and threw his arms around the older man unexpectedly. It felt startling at first at how his chin slotted over his neck, emphasizing at how much he’s grown taller. Youngbin’s body eased against him and he felt him pat his back, emanating warmth and support. He hugged him for a little bit longer before finally letting go. Chanhee watched the door close behind him, hoping sincerely that moments like these wouldn’t entirely disappear when Youngbin debuts. He knows for a fact that it’s just him being selfish...

    “I haven’t seen Youngbin that worried about anyone since one of his friends left Seoul.”

    Chanhee sat back down as Grandma began to fill the table with side dishes. His stomach growled as he merely devoured the food through his vision, and the kind woman chuckled.

    “They’re there for eating you know.” She looked pleased as he bowed his head in thanks and broke his chopsticks in half, wholeheartedly stuffing his mouth with food. Grandma placed the slices of beef along with the bowls of rice in the table, and for a while there was a comfortable silence broken only by the clinking of dishware and the sizzling of meat.

    “Is it delicious?” Chanhee looked up to the elderly lady with greased lips and rice stuck in his cheeks, nodding his head enthusiastically.

    “It’s really delicious ma’am! It tastes just like home.” Grandma simply beamed at him, holding up a napkin and wiping off his face. Chanhee blinked, taking in the comfort of her affection. For a moment it didn’t even feel like he’d left Hongseong, and that he wasn’t completely new and naïve in a large and industrious city.

    “Well this is going to be your home now. Eat up and rest well because you will have to earn your keep.”

    “Yes ma’am! I won’t disappoint you, and thank you so much!” Chanhee stood up from his chair and bowed a full ninety-degrees. He felt the restaurant hush to a quieter volume, gazes directed at him from the customers. All was good upon hearing the hum of approval from the compassionate owner not a second later.

    “Child, please call me your Grandma from now on.”

-

    Chanhee had been too tired and full that he’d forgotten to text or call his parents the previous night. He had set his alarm for six in the morning, because Grandma had notified him that the restaurant promptly opened up at eight, and that preparations began at least an hour beforehand. The room that was given to him had used to be Youngbin’s, and currently he’s staring up at the ceiling, an unexplainable feeling of dissociation muddling his thoughts. Just the day before everything had been familiar, now he’s starting out something new. He felt like a different person underneath his skin, as if he’s living someone else’s life and that he really shouldn’t be here. The more he concentrated on the ceiling the deeper his thoughts goes…

    “Chanhee are you awake?

     A series of soft knocks resounded from the bedroom door, dispelling his momentary daze. Chanhee rubbed his eyes and quickly got up from bed, checking the clock on his phone. It was seven in the morning. Crap

    “Yes Grandma! I’m up!”

    “Ok, well meet me in the kitchen.”

    He grabbed a simple white t-shirt and jeans from his bag and put them on, practically flying across the hallway and freshening up as fast as he could in the bathroom. Chanhee was done in less than five minutes and greeted Grandma apologetically as he stepped foot inside the kitchen.

    “Child calm down, it’s too early in the morning to be fussy. I know you’re weary from your journey yesterday, and for now I want you to familiarize yourself in the restaurant so that you’ll settle to a routine. But before that eat some breakfast and be nourished!”

    A delicious plate of eggs, toast, and various vegetables were laid out on a small table, and Chanhee wasted no time eating his portion. Grandma insisted on seconds, but he really didn’t want to look too forward. He might give her the impression that he’d been starved of food by his parents, and that was far from the truth.

    After eating breakfast and washing the dishes, he followed Grandma obediently, mentally creating a map in his head as she gave him the proper tour of the place and explained each room in detail. His starting job is to simply watch and observe the senior staff as they conducted their business throughout the restaurant, getting the feel of its dynamic and how it all runs smoothly together. One of the first staff he met was Jaeyoon, who was the waiter he’d been tasked of shadowing. Jaeyoon was a couple of years older than him and was easy to befriend with his unassuming and amiable aura. Chanhee confided to him that he was starting university in a week and was excited for the orientation that was coming up tomorrow. There was definitely that sparkling excitement in him at the thought of college that hasn’t lessened in the slightest, but it also came with the uncertainty and apprehension that he’d been suppressing ever since he got his acceptance letter.

    “My parents they’re worried for me, and only want the best… I’m not really sure how I can make them be happy. All I know is I have to be making a lot of money, no I need to.” Chanhee continued sweeping the floor in a trained, almost robotic motion, collecting the few debris in the dustpan. It was something about being honest to an unbiased ear that has an effect of being therapeutic. Jaeyoon was listening to him intently while polishing the tables and setting the placemats.

    “You know I can’t really argue about the necessity of money, but I’m sure your parents are already happy for you. You’re about to be a college student and have a future! Just be happy about that.” Jaeyoon gave him a thumbs up and Chanhee grinned, easily influenced by his friendly encouragement. He sat down on a stool upon deeming the floor spotless, idly arranging the condiments on the side.

    “What about you Jaeyoon-hyung? What’s your dream in Seoul?”

    “Oh me? To be honest I like to sing, but I figured the chances of me making it here is about one in a million, or more accurately one in ten million. Everyone has that hope right? Seoul seems to have that kind of magnet attraction to people, but only so little get to actually have a shot. That’s why I respect Youngbin-hyung. He made it.”

    There was a pensiveness to Jaeyoon’s tone that made Chanhee realize that the young man spoke from personal experience. Something didn’t work out along the line, and made him give up. It made him think about his own hopes… He was just an average guy with average dreams out of millions in Seoul. College was his only shot it would seem, and he better do it right.

    “It… It never hurts to try right? Isn’t that what attracts people to Seoul anyway? Because in here everything seems possible and people are happy just being able to try.”

    Jaeyoon’s back was turned to him, and there was a noticeable pause before he replied. It fully confirmed of what he’d thought:

    “Just trying isn’t enough anymore.”  

    Jaeyoon’s dreams had met reality.

-

    The day went by quickly, due to the fact that the staff made most of the new help. Grandma’s restaurant is utterly filled during lunch hours and continue to do so well into the evening, meaning everyone worked with maximum load. After having a rather heavy conversation this morning, Jaeyoon was back to all smiles and made sure Chanhee was well-versed in any situation thrown to him, not that there was anything too daunting. Chanhee in fact was very much in his element that Jaeyoon joked he’ll be the senior part-timer soon if he keeps up. He aims to impress after all, and it isn’t all done through a masked persona. Chanhee naturally has a hard work ethic, engrained through many years of scarcity since a tender age. Perhaps Grandma had an idea of his background—if his few belongings, desperate need of room and board were any indication—and so that is why she dotes, and insists on him taking a few extra bowls of rice for a job well done. Chanhee couldn’t have been anymore thankful for her generosity.

    After closing up, Chanhee took a hot shower, and headed to Youngbin’s—now his—bedroom, immediately grabbing his cellphone to update his parents of the current situation.

CH: Hey dad, hey mom. Just want to let you know I’m definitely ok and safe in Seoul! Youngbin hyung was able to get me a job in his grandma’s restaurant and I’ll be staying here. She’s so nice!

D: That’s good son!

M: Our prayers are heard. We’re blessed to have such a nice man as Youngbin helping you. Next time he comes back we’re treating him. Make sure to thank him and his grandma for all of us sweetie.

CH: Will do mom! Good night dad, good night mom. Love you. :)

D: Love you son, take care.

M: You’ll do great in college! Sleep well Chanhee, and I love you very much!

    Chanhee took a deep breath after reading their texts; he was lying if he said he didn’t miss his parents terribly. Most people would figure that teenagers would love to be separate from their parents, but not him. He was just glad that he could still feel their support from all the way back home. Out by yourself without strong ties is both a scary and a lonely thing.

    Chanhee placed his phone on the bedside table after making sure his alarm was set for tomorrow. A nervous anticipation was running through his body for what was to come, but the weariness from the long day began to seep through his bones. He let out a yawn and tucked himself in the warm covers, closing the light and drifting off to sleep.

    In the depths of the night, he had a dream about being inside one of Seoul’s sleek skyscrapers, himself being acknowledged there with familiar regard as he entered. Apparently he was meeting up with someone there. He got inside an elevator that was all silver and chrome as it ascended to a dizzyingly high floor, stopping with a crisp bell tune when it arrived to its destination, and the doors slid open. In the dream he’d assume it was Youngbin when he saw the back of a man, clothed with a proper-fitting suit that exudes only the best quality and class. The man turned around, and Chanhee had to look up, his face was shrouded within a cloud of light, concealing his face, but he knew it wasn’t Youngbin. This man was taller, but was not intimidating somehow. There was a force pulling him closer to the man, and Chanhee didn’t resist as he took the hands that was outreached to him. When their palms met it felt like a puzzle piece clicking to place, and there was that inexplicable force that made the link even more binding. The man uttered something in a sweet, husky melody and his dream-self laughed and was at ease, their hands still clasped together. Another figure strolled besides them from somewhere, even more hazy and obscure, and the man withdrew his hand almost immediately at his entrance, breaking the link that they shared. There he felt a deep sense of loss, and he tried to follow them, but he was alone. They were already gone.

    Chanhee woke up then, but not startlingly or violently, rather in shock from how much the dream had felt real. He ran a finger in his palm, still feeling the weight of the man’s hands against it and squeezed it into fists. He has had few dreams that left that much impact after he broke out of his slumbering consciousness. Most always had the reoccurring theme of him running from some type of monster, and he’d scare from them easily. But this one had been completely different, it was weird, but he wanted to get to know the man from his dreams more. He felt his heart race through his worn t-shirt, and spared only a brief thought to the other mysterious figure who had appeared in his dream.

    A couple of seconds later, his alarm went off.

-

    Grandma had bid Jaeyoon to accompany him in his trip to the Seoul subway, and of course Jaeyoon made sure that Chanhee followed everything in detail. If he thought the bus station was packed, the subway station was that multiplied by four. He stuck to Jaeyoon’s side as he bought his card for the fare, while he pored over the map and its intricate pathways through Seoul. Everything in the big city was almost digitalized and made convenient, so it wasn’t long before they were both boarding the train itself and was on its way to the university. Chanhee marveled at the diversity of the occupants once again. Most were of course businessmen on their way to work, but not all were middle aged and above. He can see a majority of young people off to whatever it is that called on them in Seoul, and a spattering of foreigners with their uniqueness that stood out amongst them. Jaeyoon nudged at him from his side.

    “You have that habit of observing people.” He noted.

    “Yeah, I just like seeing all kinds of people, especially here. It’s interesting I guess. I haven’t seen this much foreigners before, and the subway is so cool.” Chanhee felt like a kid riding his dreams of an imaginary space shuttle, and this subway came as close as it could get in real life. It was pristine in cool, polished metal, with LED screens covering the sides with various adverts and such in bright display.

    Jaeyoon just chuckled to his pure reactions in everything.

    “You’ll get used to it Chanhee.”

    “Not for a while… Seoul is just so amazing. I can never get over it.”

    Jaeyoon didn’t say anything further as the train slid to a halt in one of the stops, a stream of passengers heading in opposite directions. Chanhee got up from his seat to let an old lady sit, and she gently said her appreciation. The duration of the ride was approximately forty minutes as they finally arrived at his stop, which was in the outer districts of Seoul. He expected Jaeyoon to part ways with him here, but he told him that he’ll be escorting him all the way to the university entrance.

    “Don’t want you to call me a minute later saying you’d gotten lost because you tried to wander off somewhere.”

    “Hey I have a map, and I can just ask for directions if I get lost.”

    “Sure, but you’ll be too fascinated with everything and forget.” Jaeyoon teased.

    “No I won’t.” Chanhee mumbled quietly, secretly relieved that the older is going out of his way to accompany him.

    It was a small commute to the gates, and from the stop they could already see the magnitude of the university. It looked even better up close than it did from the brochure: a nice backdrop mountain view framing and contrasting nicely with the modern institute. There were multiple facilities that are housed in tall glass buildings, and the contemporary architecture never disrupted the balance of the natural scenery, in harmony with the elements of man and earth.

    Oh was he delighted that today was a guided tour of the place. Once they reached the gate Chanhee offered his student ID number that he was assigned to, and was granted clearance. He checked over the instructions that he printed, and demurely glanced at Jaeyoon.

    “You’re on your own from here on kid. Though I would like to stay and look around a bit, I can’t skip out on work or Grandma will have my hide. Good luck Chanhee! Don’t get lost on your way back!” Jaeyoon flashed him a thumbs up and Chanhee weakly smiled and gave him a thumbs up as well, though it was rather lopsided and lacked any pep.

    He yelled out his thanks to Jaeyoon’s retreating figure, and just like that he was by himself in this place that supposedly held his future.

-

    The first thing he did by himself was to breathe deeply—in and out…in and out…in and out… He had barely gotten past the gates and was off to the side in a bricked fencing, running parallel to fiery red chrysanthemums that he normally would have appreciated closely.

    How am I going to do this… Chanhee was all at once struck at the prospects of his path in this thing called life, and struck still was he, right at the fringes of his college.

    I—I have to do this, you’re going to make your mark and make lots of money for your parents! Yeah! Yeah, so… Let’s go!

    He must have looked like a little fawn hesitatingly taking his first few steps, because the next thing he knew someone had approached him, asking if he felt okay. Chanhee turned to the stranger, about to tell him that he was ‘definitely fine, thank you sir’ and was immediately struck when his eyes landed to the man besides him, something akin to buzzing electricity coursing through his body.

    “Are you okay?” The man repeated, and there was a halo of light atop his simply, yet perfectly coiffed dark hair, the light suffusing against his breathtakingly handsome face that Chanhee thought should be displayed in millions of screens in Korea. He vaguely thought that this all felt familiar somehow.

    “I—I’m fine, thank you, um I’m a first year student and I came for the college orientation.”

    The man smiled, eyes softening, and his heartrate tripled. He was tall, easily dwarfing him, but he radiated no tension or sense of unease around him. His fawn-like instincts were allayed.

    “Well you’re a little early for the orientation. I’m Seokwoo, a fourth year, and the head of student relations. I’m pleased to meet you…” There was a lull in his tone for him to fill in his introduction.

    “My name is Chanhee, sir. Pleased to meet you too!” He bowed a full ninety-degrees and Seokwoo chuckled amusedly at this.

    “No need to be so formal with me, we’re both students, and I’d like to get to know the first years better. We’ll definitely be seeing each other more often.” This was followed by another smile that made the receiver feel as if they had done something extraordinary to witness it.

    Seokwoo began to walk forward, and Chanhee took in his attire. He definitely had the style of someone who was the president of some top council. Him who had worn only cheap hand-me-downs will immediately know the difference in quality that only came with a brand name. The man Seokwoo had a hundred-percent quality to him that was his own brand, and Chanhee was inexplicably attracted like never before.

    “Well Chanhee, aren’t you going to the orientation?”

    He looked at him patiently, as one would at a dear friend, lips curved to show his perfect teeth. Chanhee could only nod and bumble, making it a point to walk at least two steps behind him out of manners, and to catch himself from further humiliation without his knowing. It was for nothing as the senior eventually adjusted to his pace, matching his, and so they were walking side by side. Chanhee tried to focus on his surroundings, but he was wholly rapt to the man easing him into this prestigious academy. Seokwoo gave him his undivided attention as he began to recite the hallowed history of their school, their notable alumni, internationally accredited curriculum and so on. He did so in such impassioned speech and mannerisms, succeeding in increasing Chanhee’s curiosity and encouraging his eagerness. The younger naturally loosened up under his guidance the deeper they went, asking more questions which were met with diligent and precise answers. They began to slow down once they neared the bridge, with Seokwoo reading the time off his Rolex wristwatch.

    “Well it’s almost lunchtime, and it seems to be the opportune time for you to have a little tour of our gourmet café. There are other cuisine options for you inside, but I highly recommend our very own. The chef tailors the menu to our collegiate tastes, while not compromising on health. Case in point: you wouldn’t get a better meal.”

    They traversed across the bridge over a crystal clear lake, where he saw students mingle and gather in small groups around the edge, socializing or studying. Suddenly Chanhee realized that he’s occupied too much of the senior’s time… Didn’t he said he was head of student relations? He wasn’t someone special that guaranteed his own personal tour, but Seokwoo did and made him feel as such. With his help he has the basic understanding of the school’s layout, aided with a handy map. He can navigate his way on his own, hopefully...

    “Erm, sir… Um I can take it from here. You must be busy, and I really appreciate all the help, thank you.” Chanhee lowered his head in gratitude, gripping the straps of his backpack.

    “Was I too boring that you’re ditching me already?” Seokwoo feigned hurt, closing his eyes and taking a dramatic step back. Chanhee immediately rejected the notion, flustered as he waved his hands to dismiss it.

    “What? No! If anything I’m the boring one, and you should definitely ditch me. I’m too poor to be next to you.” The words left his lips faster than his brain could process them, and he tried his best not to cringe, turning his head as to hide the embarrassed flush creeping up his cheeks.

    Oh nice, I might as well say I’m crushing on him while I’m at it…

    “All jokes aside, I’m definitely not ditching a poor, cute first-year like you.” Seokwoo touched his elbows to guide him along once again, eyes meltingly warm, and his height a sure tower besides him.

    ‘Cute’

    Oh god, he said I was cute. Poor, but cute.

    He brushed over the spot he’d touch, feeling his skin pulse just a bit from the brief contact. Chanhee knew for sure that this was something new, this attraction: everything from Seokwoo’s stature, his aura, his words were all too strong, and he could only be inevitably pulled to him like some magnet.

    Chanhee stopped in his tracks in the middle of the bridge, the familiarity of it dawning on him in full. He recalled the peculiar dream he had earlier this morning, bringing two and two together:

    Seokwoo is that man. The man from his dreams.

    It did nothing but intensify the feelings that he harbored, his heart clamoring in his chest. He knew in the back of his mind that he really shouldn’t fall for him, that he needs to rein in whatever this is, if his dream is anything to go by. 

-

Author Notes: Hello fantasies! Thanks for the cute peeps reading this little story.

So they finally meet~ ♡ All of SF9 will eventually be introduced.