Chapter 3

just like falling in love with a machine i fell for you

Yixing somehow knew that he would find the food untouched the next day. A very unreasonable waste if you ask him. He took the tray and emptied it in the trash. Then he began making breakfast. He was sure that this breakfast would have the same fate as yesterday’s dinner but it was worth a try. What if Jongdae decided to finally eat and there wasn't food for him? He couldn't let that happen. He put the newly made breakfast in front of the bedroom door and looked through his schedule.

 

9:00 Arrive at Jongdae’s house

9:05 Breakfast for Jongdae

9:20 Clean the house

10:30 Look for a rabbit

 

Although his program required having a strict schedule, his program also required accomplishing tasks that were actually realizable. The last rabbits kept by humans were released a century ago.  After the invention of the robots and new food sources, humanity decided to finally set animals free. All the animals – whether they were kept at zoos, or at houses or at shelters were set free. Humans were banned from keeping them in their houses. Animals were allowed to live their lives without being disturbed by humans. Humans, instead, could keep pet androids. They had the same functions and the same ‘feel’ as the animals except they didn't mind living in small apartments. In short, Yixing had no idea how he was supposed to find a real rabbit without breaking any laws. Yixing tilted his head and looked at the paper long and hard. In the end he figured he needs a human’s advice and went looking for Doctor Kim.

 

He found Doctor Kim in the Recreation house. It was a fancy name for Elderly house. Doctor Kim was one of the main doctors there. Although he was a master android designer and creator, he enjoyed working with real people and helping them. So when Yixing found him, he was repairing Mrs. Ahn’s wheelchair.

“Good morning, doctor.”

“Oh, Yixing, my boy, nice seeing you here. Did something happen?”

There were 2 things that Yixing always liked in Doctor Kim; 1) he was very nice and treated him like a real person, 2) he was always on point.

 “I needed help in finding a rabbit.”

“A rabbit?” asked Doctor Kim raising his brow.

“Yes, a rabbit. I found a jar filled with papers. I figured they must be real Yixing’s and Jongdae’s dreams and one of them was getting a rabbit. I thought maybe getting a rabbit will help Jongdae,” explained Yixing quickly.

Doctor Kim smiled with a smile Yixing long figured meant sadness.

“You are really trying to make Jongdae happy. Thank you, Yixing,” said Doctor Kim with earnest smile.

“Of course, doctor. It’s my job,” said Yixing with a smile before adding, “So where can I find a rabbit?”

Doctor Kim stood up sighing. He rubbed his neck and seemed deep in thought. Then he looked at Yixing and said;

“I really don’t know, my boy. Domesticating rabbits was banned long time ago and I can’t even remember the last time I saw a real one.”

When Doctor Kim saw Yixing’s disappointed face, he added;

“Maybe you can find a different version of a rabbit? Like a substitute one.”

Yixing’s eyes gleamed with joy.

“A substitute one? Just like me?”

Doctor Kim’s smile faltered.

“Yes, Yixing, just like you.”

Yixing thanked Doctor Kim, before heading to the market.

 

 Market was full of people just like yesterday. He looked around for some time before noticing a rabbit cut on a paper. It was hanging off the roof of a small shop. He went inside and asked the worker if he could buy it. The person was rather taken aback since it was a simple ornament and it wasn't for sale, but when Yixing said he’d pay for it no matter how much the seller wanted, the man agreed instantly. Yixing took the paper rabbit in his hands and examined it. For some reason he wasn't really satisfied with his purchase. It looked just like a rabbit should, except he was deep red and had no fur. That wouldn't do. He needed to find a rabbit for Jongdae. He couldn't give this to him. He thought for a second before he had a brilliant idea. He beamed and headed to another store. Jongdae wouldn't resist this. He finally did something right.

 

Yixing slid the paper through the door crack and waited for a reaction. And the reaction he got was worth all the trouble he got through since Jongdae laughed. Loudly. Jongdae’s laugh did something to his system, since Yixing could feel himself getting lighter for some reason. Was this happiness? Yixing was already smiling before he could realize Jongdae’s laughter’s effect on him.

The laughter soon quieted down and he heard the sound of a thin paper being picked up.

“Only Yixing could have come up with something like this,” said Jongdae.

Yixing’s smile got even bigger and he was scared for a second that his artificial skin may tear apart. He knew he had made the right choice, when he bought gray fur from the store and glued it on the paper rabbit.

He heard a faint sigh coming form the opposite side of the closed door before he heard a quiet ‘thank you’. Maybe it was the smile heard in Jongdae’s vice, maybe it was the courage coming from succeeding a mission, maybe it was simple curiosity that made Yixing ask the question.

“What was he like?”

Ever since he heard about their story, he often tried to imagine what kind of person Yixing could have been. Was he unique or maybe rare that his death affected Jongdae like that? Was he somehow different from the rest of the humanity? Was he irreplaceable?

For some time Jongdae didn’t say anything. Yixing thought maybe he was being too bold and just when he turned around to leave, he heard the sound of a body leaning against the door. Jongdae sat down and started talking. Yixing did the same on the opposite side of the door.

“To be honest he was an idiot, a complete . He was the type of person who would spent hours in the bakery and not leave it until he perfected a certain type of cake he just found out. He was also the type of a person who believed people easily. A person could come up to him and ask him if he could give them bread now and pay later, and that idiot would just give it to them for free and add a few pieces of cake just because he felt bad for that person. And it didn't even matter if the person did it more than once. Every time they'd come, he would give them the same treatment without asking for money back. No wonder we often had trouble with money. That idiot was too naïve.”

“You keep calling him bad names, but your voice is devoid of negative tone. Is this human’s way of expressing affection? It’s too confusing.”

Jongdae snorted.

“Human emotions usually are.”

It was silent again so Yixing added.

“If he really was that stupid why did you like him?”

“You can’t choose who you like and who you don’t. Humans don’t work on orders like you robots do.... He wasn't stupid, not really. He liked reading and he was very wise. He just trusted people too much,” said Jongdae with a more bitter tone.

Yixing wondered if there was more to Jongdae’s words, but he’d ask that later, for now he wanted to know something else.

“How did you meet?”

Jongdae snorted.

“You are an android, but right now you sound exactly like a human,” then he continued, “We met 3 years ago. It was mid autumn. I was walking home from the market. I had to take a different road, since my usual one was under construction. Maybe it was destiny after all, but it was on that odd street that I met him. The street was empty since it was pretty windy and when I was passing by a narrow alley I heard a voice. His voice. He was talking to his dog, or more like scolding him. At that time he was homeless and his only companion was his dog named Gou. Gou had stolen bread from the bakery nearby and Yixing was scolding him. That idiot was literally saying stuff like ‘Gou, we talked about this. We never steel from others. Hey don’t you dare to turn your to me when I'm scolding you! And stop drooling it’s already as chilly as it can get!’ If it was anyone else, I’m sure I would have just walked by thinking the person had gone insane. But for some reason, I felt the urge to help him. Although at that time I simply laughed. He turned around to look at me and both of us felt it. We just froze and looked at each other. I felt as if electricity went right through me. I coulnd't move, I’m not sure I was breathing either. All I could do was to stare at his deep black eyes. In that moment I felt that my life changed forever.”

Jongdae went quiet and Yixng impatiently waited for him to continue. But then…

“Enough for today,” said Jongdae standing up.

Yixing wanted to argue but kept silent. It was already good that on his second day he managed to get Jongdae to talk. He guessed it was mostly because he sounded just like real Yixing. Maybe hearing his voice made Jongdae think he was talking to the real one. With these thoughts Yixing headed to the kitchen to make something for Jongdae. He didn't know for sure whether his dish would have the same fate as the previous ones, but he still worked hard and when the food was ready he put it in front of the bedroom door. The next day, however, a very unexpected surprise was waiting for him. The plate was half-empty.