Chapter XII

Be It Fate or Coincidence

The Martian woke up still with a terrible pain on her chest. 

She winced as she struggled to sit, noticing the white fabric under her pyjama that lingered tightly around her chest. The wound dress strained her muscles and her skin was itching. A moment later she heard the door sled open. The sun that shone through turned the person behind the door combined with her weak vision turned the person behind the door to a blurry silhouette to Jennie. A few seconds of fixing her focus let the girl know that it was just one of her maids. She was carrying her breakfast on a tray. 

"Good afternoon, Your Highness. I bring you your breakfast" 

"Thank you" She muttered without enthusiasm and glanced briefly at the meal without appetite. 

"Your Highness, I was ordered to let you know that you should eat the meal soon, since after this you will take your medicine"

Jennie almost groaned. "I just woke up. I am not hungry yet either. I will eat later"

"But, Your Highness..."

"You'd better eat now before I make you gulp it down" 

A beautiful voice - one that Jennie had been waiting for finally filled in the room. Her lips had helplessly formed a smile even before she lifted her head to look. Jisoo walked in, her steps small but sure. The Martian sat up straight away, awing her maid who never before in her life had witnessed such an escalation of energy in someone. 

"Fine, fine, I'll eat now" Jennie said. Her joy had numbed the chest pain. 

"Then, I will be outside should you need something" The maid bowed before exiting the ward, leaving the two princesses on their own. 

No words were exchanged. Jisoo chose the same chair she used when she slept with Jennie before as her seat. Jennie then shifted her position slightly towards the table where her breakfast was placed and reached out one hand to grab the hot bowl. There were still steam from the chicken broth, and her hand stopped midway. 

Jisoo observed as the other girl paused. "Just sit back, I will help you" 

"Huh?" 

Jennie's remark rather fell on deaf ears, but the Martian needed no answer when she saw Jisoo take the bowl, holding it with her left hand and and stirring the content inside with the spoon in her other grip. She sat back quietly as instructed while the Venusian scooped a spoonful of broth. Her heart grew warm when she noticed Jisoo protrude her lips to blow air to cool the boiled liquid. A moment later Jisoo drew the spoon in her hand carefully close to Jennie's lips. Jennie's mouth parted open, and her eyes never left Jisoo's from the moment she sipped the watery meal to the second she swallowed it. 

Realizing this, Jisoo's cheeks flushed and she pulled back her hand. "What?" 

"Nothing"  

Jisoo waited for a few seconds, but nothing came from the Martian anymore except a genuine smile. She had no idea either why she was doing this for Jennie, and the only knowledge she knew about dating was through the stories Irene shared to her or her own observation of her sister and Seulgi, but she just thought that this was something a lover was supposed to do. Right, she and Jennie were lovers now. Nothing was officially stated, but that was what they were. The fact alone gave Jisoo an inexplainable kind of relief, and happiness. 

Jennie knew nothing about what the Venusian was thinking as her eyes were occupied with Jisoo's lips. Those lips were protruding again, ready to puff air to Jennie's breakfast again. 

"Jisoo" 

"Hmm?" Jisoo looked up almost absentmindedly. 

"Come here closer"

"Why?" 

"Just... Put that down first and come here" 

Jisoo gave a fleeting look at the bowl in her grip. Jennie had gulped down a sheer spoonful and now the Martian was asking her to put the food down. Nevertheless, she did as Jennie requested her to before moving from the chair to the edge of the bed. Strained by her wound, Jennie fixed her position strugglingly until she managed to find Jisoo's face in a perfect angle and landed her stare at the Venusian's lips. Only when their gazes met did Jennie's intention dawn on Jisoo. It had been three days since the attack, and two days since her confession, yet due to Jennie's injury so little time was allowed for them to be alone and pick up where they had left. 

Without even asking for her consent, Jennie leaned her head toward hers. Jennie's face, perfect nose, and irresistible lips were approaching her. Her eyes widened and she almost flinched. It was not like she did not want this, but she was far from prepared for it to happen this fast. She stayed still, because it was too late to deny this anyway and her muscles were not cooperating. She was going to let Jennie steal her first kiss.

The Martian's lips finally made contact with her own. Jisoo could feel its tenderness pressed against her own's along with the warmth that flooded her entire face. The kiss last as a peck that was enough to wake the sleeping butterflies inside her - the feelings that she was capable of being in love. Involuntarily she began pressing against the other girl's.

As Jennie felt the weight of Jisoo's lips against her own, her eyes increased in size. Her mind brought her back to the days where their meetings would be filled with bickers, and never did she expect that she would get to see the loving side of the Venusian as a lover. She allowed the peck to prolong as light kisses, though none parted their lips further. 

Jennie broke it first, leaving only a few centimeters between their forehead and nose. The only sound they could hear after that was each other's breathing. 

"You should finish your meal" Jisoo brought voice to the dead air. 

Jennie muttered an 'alright' as Jisoo returned to the chair. She started pondering over the things they could have been doing at that moment had she not got rather severely injured. True, it was that incident that brought Jisoo to her confession, but there had been two attacks so far, in which both of them were somewhat involved. Questions inevitably barged into her mind. 

"Is there any news about the attack?" She inquired. 

Jisoo shook her head. "Your mother and the whole Kingdom has been investigating. I think they must have known something, but none agrees to talk to me about it" 

Jennie fell silent, stealing Jisoo's attention from the spoon she had been moving dilligently. Jisoo watched Jennie's dim, thoughtful eyes. 

"What's your thought about it?" She asked. 

"I don't know" Jennie sighed. "This has disturbed me since the day I lay down here. I just could not help but thinking that..."

The Martian trailed off. Jisoo fixed her orbs at her. "Thinking that...?"

Thinking that someone might not be happy about our marriage. That was what she wanted to answer, but instead, she held it back. There was no strong reason for her assumption to be true. Besides, the happiness that Jisoo and she shared now was more than enough for her. She needed not destroy it with negative thoughts that might not even happen. 

"It's nothing. Maybe I am just hungry. Can I get another spoonful?" She beamed a smile at her lover. 

Jisoo chuckled before reaching out the spoon that had once again been filled full. "I thought you were being serious" 

Jennie chewed and swallowed as if nothing was burderning her mind. But the Martian knew little that Jisoo had, in fact, sensed the same omen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello, thank you for reading and leaving comments. 

Until the next update :)