Chapter 1

Picture Bride

October 3rd, 1904

 

Finally, I got my hands on a piece of paper and a fancy fountain pen. Really loving the smoothness of it. Anyways…

It has been two days since my arrival. I have departed from my hometown, Jinhae, to this land that I know nothing of, except the fact that I have a non-Korean husband who happens to be a business man. The weather of this new country is welcoming, in contrast to the people who works in this house. I have no one…

 

I’m in Mr. Tuan’s house at this moment and I’m quite amazed by how capable Mr. Tuan is. A thirty-five-year-old man, owning a plantation, a mansion, established his own business and fame, and have a large of amount of people to serve him is quite impressive. I’m glad that I’m married to a plantation owner/business man, not a plantation worker. How difficult would life be if that ever happened. However, I still can’t get over how he lied to me, sent a picture of himself that can be dated back to decades ago. I don't think Mr. Tuan ever cares about me in general. That last time I saw my “husband” was on the day of my arrival. Since then, I locked myself in my room, refuses to have contact with anymore, except for this person who brought me a stack of paper and this pen. I refused to have dinner with anyone in this family, but Mr. Tuan never bothered to ask anyway. I am only surviving because I need to help my family escape from the horror in Korea. Although I didn't leave my room, food and water was brought to me every night by the person who gave me the pen and paper. He seems nice, but who knows if they are only facades that the workers put on. I do not know his name or the courage to ask… at this moment, I really question my existence.

 

“Mr. Tuan,” a man runs up to him and asks, “Where are you going?”

 

Mark elegantly sits in his automobile before his driver closes the door and replies, “home.”

“Let’s go out for a drink,” his business partner suggests and Mark can't resist because he needs this person to make sure that his business is running smoothly. If this person refuses to import sugar for Mark, it will definitely affect the supply and Mark’s business would probably collapse.

“Mr. Im. If you don't mind, allow me to offer you a ride,” Mark opens the door for Jaebum and the latter gladly took the offer.

“Thank you, Mr. Tuan.” They both got in the car with Mark’s personal driver, Jackson, managing the small black automobile.

“Mr. Im”
 

“Drop the formalities, Tuan. The meeting is already over,” the men’s laugh fills up the small automobile. Mark thought about the meeting that they both held a while ago, how formal and proper those two have to present themselves. After work, they are just neighborhood idiots. Though their positions are quite high and they still have an image to uphold, they are just humans.

“Hey Jacks. Didn't you say there's a new pub in the area? Mind driving us there,” Mark suggests.

The atmosphere of the local bar is very tempting. It is low-key, quiet, with a few people drinking at the counter. No one knows or seem to care about who they are. After a long day of work, finding a quiet place is what Mark has been searching for.

“Sir. I’ll go park the car. Please be careful,” the driver, Jackson warns.

“Yes. We will. Come for a drink after,” Mark encourage the driver.

“Thank you for the offer, Sir. But I have the responsibility to bring you and Jaebum-sshi back to your respective places safely. It is better off if I don't drink,” Jackson reasoned with his boss.

“Jackson-sshi. We will not ask for too much. One shot, just one,” Jaebum tempted the driver.

“I have to kindly refuse your offer, Sir…”
“Don’t force him, Jae. He has his reasons. Jacks, I’ll see you in two hours,” the young plantation owner sends his driver way as he took another shot of the intense liquor.

-At Tuan’s Mansion-

“Hey. Hey Jacks. I’m not done drinking yet. Get me one shot of that one,” Mark points aimlessly, his loud voice echoes throughout the empty courtyard.

“Yeah. I’ll get you another shot, but I need you to go to your room first,” Jackson consults and Mark nods his head.

“Wait. Who are you?” Mark asks as he closes the distance between him and Jackson and lifts up Jackson’s chin, “Jackson? Why didn't I ever realize how handsome and attractive you are before?”

“Because you’re drunk. Master Tuan,” Jackson backs off from Mark. Seeing how Jackson backed off, Mark’s instincts are awoken; he took a leap and engulfed Jackson into his embrace. The elder looked at him with a straight face, “Wanna pleasure me tonight?”

Mark is clearly drunk and Jackson had no choice but to compensate; that doesn't mean he’s going to offer to Mark, but to find someone who can offer to his master. Jackson knew better; he has dealt with a drunk Mark before, many times, but never a drunk Mark who has a great ual desire for the night, or as how Jackson would put it, in heat.

“I think you already have enough pleasure from the alcohol. You need to rest,” Jackson insists while he tries to push Mark away.

Yugyeom, who was brought to the courtyard due to the commotion sighs when he sees the scene in front of him. Mark is basically throwing himself onto Jackson while the latter constantly tries to back off from Mark.

“Yugyeom, help me,” Jackson mouths and Yugyeom just simply ignores Jackson’s request. The youngest is enjoying the scene in front of him, way too much, and we all know Yugyeom loves to tease his hyungs. Yugyeom waited until Jackson threatens him and Yugyeom just shook his head before he goes up to confront the mess in front of him.

“Master Tuan,” Yugyeom calls and it catches Mark’s attention.

“Yugyeom? What are you doing here? You brat. You’re still underage; who let you into the bar?” Mark slurs.

Jackson wants to mentally face palm himself. He doesn't even know he was already brought home.

“Hyung. You’re at home. This is not the bar, look carefully,” Yugyeom instructs.

Mark clutches his head in pain, “When did I get here. No, wait. I still want that bottle of liquor. Bring me back,” Mark whines and both Jackson and Yugyeom cringes at the eldest’s actions.

“For s sake, hyung. You’re thirty-five, not five,” Yugyeom comments and earns a harsh glare from the eldest.

“Such foul language, Yugyeom. You’re at my place and all you do is insult me and…” Yugyeom has to cover Mark’s mouth to prevent him from waking everyone up in the house.

The two worked together and successfully brought Mark to his own room; Jackson did all the hard work while Yugyeom keeps his hand on Mark’s mouth, so all of Mark’s rantings becomes mutters.

Mark did attempt to drag Jackson to bed, but the latter was quick enough to push Mark onto his bed before he rushed out of the room with Yugyeom chaining up the locks of Mark’s room.

“Jackson-sshi. Where are you,” both Yugyeom and Jackson can clearly hear Mark’s drunken laugh between the words.

“Should we just leave him in there?” Yugyeom questions, but it didn't take long until they heard a shattering noise inside the room.

“What was that? Did he hurt himself or something?” Jackson starts to panic. Now they both heard banging on the door.

Jackson suggests to open the door and tend to Mark’s needs, not ual needs, but Yugyeom insists to let Mark deal with himself in the room.

“Jackson, he’s a grown- man. He can take care of himself.”

“If he can take care of himself, I wouldn't have to do all the hard work to bring him back,” Jackson deadpans.

“You get paid well though.”

“Let’s me out,” Mark screams, Jackson made an assumption that Mark is probably crying inside of the room due to the stress that he has gained throughout work recently.

“Trust me, he’ll be fine,” Yugyeom comments before he saunters out from the scene and goes to wherever his heart desires.

Yeah, he’ll be fine, my . Jackson mutters under his breath and decides to do something about it. There’s no way he can bear the sight of Mark being in pain. He retrieves the keys to the lock and walks down the empty hallway, stops in front of a room, a room that he has never been to, and knocks on the door. Common curtesy.

“Jinyoung-sshi,” Jinyoung heard a knock on the door. Jinyoung stirred in his sleep. Jackson doesn't know much Korean, but since the laborers are majority Koreans, Jackson managed to pick up a few words and phrases here and there.

 

“Jinyoung-sshi. Open the door, please,” this time it was little bit louder. He isn’t willing to wake up, but he has too. What right does Park Jinyoung have in Tuan’s mansion. With a slight groan, Jinyoung gets off his bed and opens the door. He immediately recognizes the driver.

“Jinyoung-sshi. We need you to come to Master Tuan’s room.”

Jinyoung didn't say anything and followed Jackson. However, he has a lot in his mind. So much is happening right now. So he only get to see Mark whenever he demands for him? A sixteen-year-old gal getting sent to a thirty-five-year-old man’s room, it is not something that Jinyoung is looking forward to. This is actually the first time Jinyoung leaves his room after the three days. He gazes around at the interior designs on the house. The interior design is fascinating; tall pillars that brings out the sophisticated atmosphere of the house. Majestic dragons carved on the pillars bringing out the Asian-centric feeling. Expensive poultries and china that are displayed in the long hallways. In contrast, crystal chandeliers dangling from the high ceilings. He follows Jackson and occasionally lifts his head up to check out the portraits hung up on the walls; it is clearly pictures of Mark and another man standing together, but they look more than business partners. Maybe that is his brother? His thoughts immediately disappeared when he heard screams coming from the master’s room.

“Master Tuan is in there,” Jackson said to Jinyoung. The latter was obviously hesitating to go in because he knew nothing about Mark except that he is not Korean, a businessman, and approximately twenty-years older than Jinyoung. Hearing him in this state startles him even more. Who exactly is Mark? How is this person like?

“I know this might be difficult for you, but I can’t just let Master Tuan stay in the room alone. Just tell me whenever you’re ready,” Jackson took out the key from his pocket and inserts it into the lock. All Jinyoung needs to do is to turn the key and it will unlock.

Jinyoung stood in front of the door, trying to get an image of what is happening inside the room. He isn’t ready to go in, yet. How will Mark react when he sees him? But staying outside of Mark’s room isn’t ideal either. Jackson is looking at him, staring into his soul… no he hopes that Jinyoung will have the capability to calm Mark down and hopefully shut him up too. He really doesn't have a choice; he has to go in either way.

“I can go in now,” Jinyoung states.

Jackson looks at Jinyoung and nodded. The driver turns the key and lock was open. He then removes the chain, opens the door, and pushes Jinyoung in before slamming the door shut again.

“I’m sorry, Jinyoung-sshi. Master Tuan is out of control, I have to chain the doors,” Jackson shouts.

Jinyoung took a quick glance at his surroundings and the person that demanded him was nowhere in sight. He doesn't know what to feel: sadness or relief. Jinyoung looked around and saw a portrait hung right above the door. It’s a portrait of Mark with the same guy in the pictures that he saw in the hallway. Who is he?

“Where do you think you’re going,” Jinyoung heard a voice coming from the attached bathroom. He doesn't recognize Mark’s voice, but he is sure that Mark is in the bathroom. How? Because who else would be in there?

“Come here,” Mark saw a person in the room and pulls him towards the bed.

“Who are you,” Mark said with a smile on his face. Not a business smile, not a friendly smile. It’s a drunk and flirtatious one. Jinyoung can see tear marks on Mark’s face and eyes. The young bride secretly wants to laugh at the sight in front of him. A man in his thirties, looking wasted yet still attempting to flirt.

“You’re beautiful. I like you,” the drunk man continues on.

Jinyoung kept his mouth shut. Will he anger Mark with his words?

“Mark, come here, you’re drunk,” Jinyoung heard another voice from the bathroom. Who else is in there?

From the bathroom came a man with a tall and slim frame. He doesn't look any older than Mark, then realization hits him. He is the one who is next to Mark in the portraits.

“Who are you? Who allowed you to come in,” the person asks.

Jinyoung stars at the man dressed in proper suit and refuses to say anything. There are too much happening at the same time: Mark getting drunk, which led to Jinyoung getting sent into the master’s bedroom, and from there out came a man with good looks and of course… there is a drunk and vulnerable Mark who now looks pathetic.

“Bam, he’s pretty, isn’t he?” Mark asks, “Should I go and propose to him?”

Bambam felt anger boiling in himself. What is this Mark Tuan doing? Did he just said he wants to propose to another guy, when Kunpimook Bhuwakul Bambam, the husband is with him?

“Mark, look at me,” Bambam demands and Mark looks at Bambam like an obedient child.

“Go to bed now. I’ll take care of this…” and before Bambam can finish reasoning with Mark, the drunk man reacts.

“No. You're bad, Bam. Why do you always get in my way! Get out of my room! I want this pretty boy here.” He’s clearly drunk but he isn’t wrong; Jinyoung is a pretty boy. Alcohol causes a lot of problems and it definitely does stir up problems for Bambam because of a certain person got drunk. Jinyoung was staring on the ground and successfully avoided Bambam’s intense glaze.

“Alright. Alright, Mark. I’ll get out of our room now,” Bambam emphasize on the word “our”. He glared at Jinyoung and walked out. Was Mark testing his patience?

“I’m tired,” Mark back hugged Jinyoung after he heard the door getting slammed. Jinyoung stiffened his body due to Mark’s touch. This is the first time that he is in a man’s embrace, aside from his father.

“Come. Come sleep with me,” Mark guided the young man to his bed. He patted his mattress signaling the latter to sit down beside him.

“I’ll be gentle. What’s your name, sweetheart,” Mark asked as he caresses Jinyoung’s face.

Sweetheart. Jinyoung wanted to cringe because of the wordings. He didn't reply to Mark’s question and the man became frustrated.

“Tell me your name,” he asked again.

For reals, do you really not know my name? You’re the one who lied to me and wanted me to become your so called “wife”. How can you not know my name?

“Pretty boy… I should call you pretty boy because…because you’re pretty,” Mark laughed again.

“Is this man insane?” Jinyoung thought to himself. Mark collapsed on his bed and drifted to sleep before Jinyoung can react. “Pretty boy, I want to see you tomorrow,” the sleeping figure murmured. Somehow, it brought a smile to Jinyoung’s face. Maybe getting married to this man isn’t really that bad of an idea.