●●●

Soon

I sighed. It's already been three hours and he's still not here. Just how long will he make me wait? Is it even considered a date when I'm all alone spending my day at the cafe? I finished my second slice of the red velvet cake. He's not responding to any of my texts or calls. 

I looked out the window, watching strangers do whatever they have to do for the end of the day while I'm wasting my time here. Waiting, just waiting and maybe waiting for nothing. I stopped the tasks I was doing earlier just to meet up with him. That's what I always do, make time for him but sometimes it seems like he'd never do the same for me. And it's not the first time that he made me look like a fool, but here I am still coming whenever he calls. But he knows what to do to make it up to me.

My friends asks me why do I love him or say something like we should break up. I don't care about whatever they say or think about our relationship. They don't know anything. I'm fine, I'm not suffering. But I do get hurt whenever they badmouth him. He's not a bad guy, he's charismatic and nice---that's the reason why I fell in love with him the first place. 

The sun's about to go down. I should probably go home before it gets dark. Weather forecast said that rain is expected at around 7:00PM, I better keep going. I'll let him taste the bitterness of his own medicine if he ever come to see me here today and this time I'm not gonna apologize. In fact, he should be the one who should say sorry and bring flowers or chocolates at my door.

I left the cafe. We always go there even though I can't drink caffeinated drinks. Often times I just order fresh fruit juice or milk based beverages and the pastries are good! It's his favorite place and it's a chill hang out place. I suggested once to go somewhere else, he just shrugged it off saying that my choices are boring. So he's always the one who decides which is fine because I'm not picky.

Then it started to rain, small droplets are pouring down. I continued walking, I didn't bother to bring an umbrella because I thought I wouldn't wait until sundown and I was in a hurry. I saw everyone in the street open their umbrella or wear their hoodie or hat, I have none. Surprisingly, I didn't get wet until I noticed my shadow. Someone was sharing their umbrella with me. I turned to look at the person.

"Hi." He greeted with a warm smile. A guy, around same age as me, slightly taller who's holding a paperbag from the convinience store.

"Uh... Hello." I said shyly. I don't know this person but he seems nice. Actually, he looks kinda familiar. 

"I hope you don't find this creepy."

"Not at all. Thank you by the way..."

"Here," He handed me his umbrella as he stepped out of its cover.

"No, wait. You don't have to!" I said

"I'm fine. You can use it." He fixed his beanie as he turned back to walk away.

"But--"

"You can return it to me anytime at the cafe."

So that's why he looks familiar. He's a barista. I didn't really pay much attention, because I don't order coffee. And then, the heavy downpour began. "Hey!" I called out and catch up to him. Luckily he's not that far. We stayed under the shed of a closed bike shop.

"Huh, it's raining cats and dogs." He commented.

"Yeah, the weatherman said rain not a storm."

"Well, I guess "the weatherman is always right" is not so accurate now." He quoted from the weird weather forecaster from the morning news.

I laughed. 

"I don't like that guy."

"Me too." I nodded "He looks kinda creepy."

"Exactly. Like what's with the costume? It looks so inappropriate. I don't see the connection of spider eggs to the weather..."

"Eggs? Those were clouds!" I said.

"What? I thought it was eggs! He looks like he's wearing a suit made out of spider baby sacs!"

"Oh my gosh, now I can not unsee it..."

"But he does looked like a huge nest?"

I nodded and we laughed.

"I feel kinda stupid." He said.

"Not really. My boyfriend first thought weatherman is a CGI. That was stupid."

"Ah, the guy you're with at the cafe. I don't see him around anymore."

"Me neither." I said, not caring at all.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to address a sensitive subject."

"Oh, it's nothing." I shook my head "We're supposed to have a date at the cafe... Guess who got stood up again."

"I saw you earlier waiting for him. I thought you were just killing time or something so I didn't want to bother you, but now you can always talk to me when you're alone there."

"Next time..."

"Yep. I think it's fortunate that I saw you when I left the store after my shift. Look at the weather."

"But now you're stuck here with me."

"If I didn't see you then we'll still be stuck somewhere. The only difference is the place. It's always good to have company you know?"

"That's true."

And so we talked while waiting for the rain to stop. We talked about the most random things. Fun facts, celebrity gossips, political opinion and other stuff. He's really funny. I like his humor. I think I like him. We just clicked and for that moment I forgot that I already have a boyfriend. 

"Do you believe in soulmates?" I asked out of the blue.

"Me? Nope. It sounds so unrealistic."

"What do you mean?"

"There's no such thing as "perfect" couple. I mean, when two people fall in love they should work on their relationship. It's not just destiny, serendipity or whatever they call it. I don't think magic is the reason. Everyone can fall in love with anyone."

I nodded. It makes sense. I used to think that my boyfriend and I are meant for each other. But now maybe my opinion is starting to change. This stranger just opened my eyes.

"For me, love shouldn't be toxic. If ever, when the feeling is gone then does that mean that person is not your soulmate anymore? I'm not gonna stay with someone just because of some sort of fictional belief. And also we all have chances, right?" He turned to look at me straight in the eyes. "How 'bout you? You believe in soulmate?"

"Yeah, I do."

"Oh... Sorry, did I just mock you?"

"We all have opinions."

"I'm not saying that you're stupid or anything. I just thought that the idea is uhh..."

"Silly?" I scoffed "Yeah, now that you said I kinda realized it sounds funny." I'm such an idiot. Anger is starting to bubble up inside me. I'm so fed up by this situation. Maybe I'm mad because of my boyfriend but it's more on me. I let him take me for granted and I don't deserve it. 

"I did offend you did I?"

"Nah..." I smiled "Rational thinking, thank you for stating your perspective." I never actually thought of it. Falling out of love. Maybe we don't love each other anymore. I don't feel the same happiness as before. I just feel tired, exhausted and trapped.

"Welcome?" He chuckled

A car swooped in front of us, he quickly pulled me away from the puddle. "Hey babe, sorry I'm late." The driver lowered the car window "Come on in." 

"Do you need a ride?" I said to my new friend

"No thanks. The sky is almost clear so I better go. See you around I guess." He said before turning away.

"Yeah... See you soon."