Legal Relations

Underneath the Suits
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
ONE

Chapter Text

Howon advised that Woohyun stay away from Sunggyu.

He claimed he’d handle the suit so it never had to see court.

But Woohyun still chose to appear at a hearing where he watched the judge agree to hear the case against Nam Inc.

He’d sat in the back of the empty court room and watched Sunggyu leave without so much as a glance in his direction.

“I thought I asked you to stay away.” Howon said through gritted teeth as he opened the door for Woohyun to walk out of the room.

“Is he right, Howon? Would I really have to-”

“All would be fine if you’d just let me do my job.”

Woohyun looked over Howon’s head at where Sunggyu was on the other side of the long corridor of the court house, conversing with his colleagues. He prayed Sunggyu would wait when they were gone. Maybe if he could just have a few minutes, he could convince him to-

“None of that.” Howon said, snapping his fingers in front of Woohyun. “I don’t care what you think you have with him but Kim Sunggyu will slaughter you. He’s been taking down big companies for years and I’m quite surprised he waited this long to deal with your father.” Woohyun opened his mouth in protest but Howon continued. “If we’re lucky, Woohyun… if God likes us… we might just get to settle all this out of court. And it would only cost you a billion won or two.”

As Howon pulled him away, Woohyun gave one last look back at where Sunggyu had been, but he was nowhere to be found.

*****

Howon was a bulldog when he wanted to be. He’d threatened to assign the case to another company lawyer if Woohyun so much as contacted Sunggyu. Woohyun couldn’t understand why his sternness hadn’t yet translated to some success with Sunggyu and why he was still on for court.

But then he’d come to the office one day, informing Woohyun that they were going to the prosecutor’s office together.

“Are you sure?”

“He said he’d only negotiate if you were in the room.”

Woohyun had waited almost a month since he’d been served. And in all that time, he’d been forced to have Howon between the two of them but now that he was granted access, he couldn’t breathe. He couldn’t even see two feet in front of himself anymore.

“What?” he asked, his tongue feeling heavy.

“Didn’t you hear me?”

“I heard you.”

“Then stop asking me silly questions and let’s get to it.”

*****

Woohyun sat on a seat, facing Sunggyu as Sunggyu swiped through files, looking nothing like the man he remembered from months and months spent together during camp.

This was not the same man he’d given his trust to. This was not the man he’d imagined following up when they got out of camp. Because this man in front of him was angry and full of hate and barely looked Woohyun in the eye.

“You said you wanted to see Nam-sshi.” Howon said.

“Can we have the room, Lawyer Lee?” Sunggyu said, looking up at Howon.

“Excuse me?”

“I want to speak to Woohyun alone.”

“I don’t advise-”

“Namu?” Sunggyu said, causing a drop in Woohyun’s chest at the familiar term of endearment.

“Howon… just give us a few minutes.”

Howon was red in the face, looking from Sunggyu to Woohyun as if he wanted to object more. After a couple of uncomfortable seconds between the three of them, Howon packed his files, stamping them on the table with each stack before he got up and walked out of the office.

“So-”

“How have you been?” Sunggyu asked.

“How have…” Woohyun cocked his head in confusion. “How have I been?” He stood, leaning forward on the desk as he looked at Sunggyu, praying that his temper would remain cool. “You didn’t have to render me to court just to see how I was.”

“I asked you a simple question.”

“Is this a joke to you?” Woohyun asked.

“I’d like to refer you to the last time you lost your temper, Namu.”

“Don’t call me that.” He said, clenching his fist on the table.

“You’re not the one in charge here.” Sunggyu said.

“You’re putting my entire company on display because of a grudge?”

Sunggyu smirked.

“I wasn’t planning on entering the legal practice when I got out of service. I’d taken the Bar, done everything my father wanted but I didn’t want to be a lawyer.” His eyes went dark and cold. “But then you happened.”

Woohyun his lips in nervousness as he felt his resolve soften at Sunggyu’s words.

“Sit down.” Sunggyu commanded and Woohyun plopped back in his seat, just as Sunggyu got his feet, sweeping the file before him shut as he trailed his way around the table. “I am not without my faults, Woohyun. Ask my colleagues and they’ll tell you I’m pretty petty.”

“Hyung-”

“I have half a mind to cause you just as much pain.”

Sighing in frustration, Sunggyu walked back to his seat and pulled out a file from his drawer.

“Sign those.” He said, tossing the files in front of Woohyun.

“What are they?”

“It’s a settlement deal. Community service. A fine and an agreement to let state auditors review your accounts.”

Woohyun looked from the file to Sunggyu in shock. It was not going to be that easy. Settling this way out of court meant no pulling of investors, no disappointment from his father and at the cost of letting auditors through their books? Woohyun had cleaned those books in his first two years as CEO. He’d washed out criminals and cleared up dealings that weren’t above board. He wasn’t going to be a part of an organization that swindled the law and so he’d done it all right.

“What’s the catch?” Woohyun asked, feeling tense and uncomfortable about a deal that seemed too good to be true.

“No catch. Just sign the deal and get the hell out of my office.”

Sunggyu sat back in his chair and rolled it right up to the desk as he switched on his tablet and opened his laptop. Woohyun didn’t get it.

“You called me here just to sign a settlement?”

“I called you here…” Sunggyu looked at him. “I called you here to punish you. But now that you’re here, it’s not worth it anymore. Sign the papers.”

It’s not worth it anymore? Or Woohyun wasn’t worth it anymore?

“What does that mean? You drag me to court, drag my lawyer all over Seoul. Then you summon me here only to realize that I’m not worth it?”

“If you don’t want the deal-”

Woohyun snatched the file right off the table as he got up and walked around too.

“Hyung, what is this, really? If you want to punish me, then punish me.”

“Do you want me to take you to court?”

“Well

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter