Now

My Dead Darling

I shuddered at the whipping of the night breeze. I rubbed my arms, already feeling the goosebumps beginning to form. The sound of the door opened, revealing a boy who’d obviously been drunk. His sloppy movements matched his red face. “Disgusting.” I muttered turning away from him as if he hadn’t been there.

 

“The sky sure is beautiful.” He slurred. “Look I’m floating.” This time my head snapped towards him. He’d been standing on the ledge, arms spread like a bird. I sighed in relief, only for that relief to be washed away as he stuck his leg. He began to waver like a spinning top that had slowed down. In seconds I watched him fall from hundreds of feet in the air into a car. The sound of the broken glass could be heard, along with multiple screams. Which none, strangely enough had been his.

 

I shoved my hands further into my pockets as I pushed past the reporters. “Yoo Youngjae what was your motive for pushing Jung Daehyun off the building.” My head snapped up at the questions. The question must have shocked more than just me, considering the way all heads turned towards them. Here’s the thing with rumors, it’s like a bad game of telephone, so even when you metaphorically hang up that rumor the calls still going. Unfortunately for me the call just started, and as of now there’s no way I’ll be able to hang up.

 

“As the police and I have both stated, he fell due to being overly intoxicated.” I spat back angrily

 

“You also stated he didn’t jump immediately, why didn’t you stop him?”

 

“I didn’t know him!” I yelled making them all gasp. “I-i mean I didn’t know he’d jump.” I stuttered before pushing past the rest of the reporters. Like roaches they crowded around the car as if my statement fueled them for more questions.

 

“Dad told you not to say anything.” I jumped at the sound of my brother’s deep voice

 

“I couldn’t just let them think I’m a killer Yongwon.”

 

“Well now you’re letting them think you don’t care- you know what it doesn’t matter you’re visiting his grave today.”

 

“I told you I’m not-.”

 

“Youngjae you're going end of discussion.” He said cutting me off. I turned away from him with a huff, locking my eyes with the grey sky that seemed to be getting darker. .

 

------

 

“Text me whenever you’re ready to go.” Yongwon said before closing the door. I watched as the car sped off down the vacant street. “I wonder if I texted him now would he actually come.” I mumbled as I trudged my feet through the dewy grass. I stumbled back with widened eyes at the scene before me.  Jung Daehyun’s grave had been overturned.

 

“Do you think anyone will notice.” I slowly turned at the voice, my body freezing as my eyes locked with a dead man. “I-i how are you?” My words were cut short as I found myself stumbling off into his grave. His hand caught my sleeve just before I teetered over, pulling me into him. His cold hands brushed against my face. “Please be careful my love.” I smacked his hands away. “Your what? How are you even still alive?”

 

“I reincarnated.” He said bluntly

 

I stared at him silently waiting for him to crack. To my surprise he didn’t. “Is this a joke?” I watched his eyes, looking for signs of faltering. “I would never lie to you my love, if you just let me explain-” I waved my hands cutting him off.

 

“The only thing you’re going to be doing is going to to a hospital.” I said leading him out of the graveyard. I pulled my phone from my pocket, dialing a cab for as soon as possible.

 

I took my jacket off, placing it over his head. “Keep your head down.” I said not wanting to face anything else today.

 

----

 

I pushed the glass doors open, pulling a temporarily blind Daehyun with me. “I need to see a doctor immediately.”  I spoke to the lady who began typing into her computer. “Name?”

 

“Jung Daehyun.” She stopped typing, her eyes bored into mine with a disbelieving look. “Sir I’m going to have to ask you to leave.”

 

I pulled the jacket from Daehyun’s head, watching as the woman’s face contorted into shock. I would have been smug if I hadn’t looked the same, not even twenty minutes ago. Her hands went back to her computer. “I’ll have someone with you in a moment wait there.” She said. I put the jacket over Daehyun before pulling him over to the seating area.

 

Barely two minutes had passed before a man in a white coat came to the hall. “Jung-” I stood abruptly, catching stares of the other patients. “Um that’s us.” I said grabbing Daehyun’s hand.  “Follow me.” He lead us to a room in the back, closing the door after we entered.” I pulled my jacket away from Daehyun once again. The doctor said nothing but Ii could tell by his expression this was definitely something he’s never experienced.

“Please sit.” He spoke to Daehyun. I felt his fingers unlace from mine, taking the warmth with him. My eyes stayed glued to him as the doctor began running tests, as if I hadn’t been there. The buzzing of my phone pulled me from my daze, I groaned at the the caller. “Hey Yongwon.” I answered.

 

Yoo Youngjae! Where the hell are you?” I pulled the phone away from ear. “I’m at the hospital I’m kinda in a situation.” I said glancing over at Dehyun.

 

“Hospital? What-which, I’m coming to get you.”

 

My eyes widened at his words, making me shake my head. “No no I’ll meet you at home Yongwon okay bye.” I turned to the doctor. “Is he okay or..” I drifted hopes the doctor would finish.

 

“From what I can see his vitals are fine I just need to do one more scan.” I nodded before turning to Daehyun.

 

“I’ll be back don’t talk to anyone and don’t go anywhere okay?”

 

His lips curved into a pout. “I’m not a child.”

 

“Yeah but you are a dead man.” I said opening the door. I quickly made my way out of the hospital into the cab that had been waiting.

 

I opened the front door of my seemingly vacant house, but I knew better. “Yongwon I’m home.” I yelled, only to be answered by my echoed voice. I stepped further into the house to see my father, calmly sitting at the kitchen table. Yeah I’m dead.

 

“Youngjae have you seen the news?” He asked far too nice for my liking.

 

“Ah no anything interesting?” I asked

 

“You tell me.” He said turning his computer into my view. He’d been on a newspage my eyes got stuck on the title. “Would Yoo Youngjae have saved Jung Daehyun if he’d known him?” I groaned, dropping my face into my hands. “Look dad I know this is looks bad bu-” My words were cut by the knocking on door. I took that chance to get away from him.

 

I opened the door to see a smiling Daehyun holding a rose. “Dae-Ii told you to wait for me.”

 

“I know but I really have to explain to you-” He was cut off by my father who had come around the corner. His face contorted into an unexplainable look.

 

“Hello sir may I speak to Youngjae.” I gawked at him, baffled at the immediate change in demeanor. My father said nothing, only nodding as he motioned for him to come inside. I pushed the door behind him shut before pulling him to the place he’d been before he died, my roof.

 

I pushed open the sealed door, letting the cool breeze hit me. “Talk” He turned to me. “So I told you I was reincarnated.”

 

I nodded. “Yes I remember.”

 

“Well I didn’t tell you how.” I nodded again, still finding this all hard to believe.

 

He took in a long breath before he spoke. “It was a witch.” I blinked. “Huh?”

 

“A witch cursed me, though I hadn’t expected to die so soon.” I shook my head in disbelief. I didn’t know whether I should cry or laugh hysterically.

 

“So you’re telling me a witch cursed you, so that you fall in love with the person you see before you die when you reincarnate?” He nodded with a smile. I screamed turning away from him, unable to even look at him.

 

“My love please look at me.” I felt his breath hit my cheek.

 

“You know my name so use it.” I retorted without looking at him.

 

“If I do will you look at me?” I nodded hesitantly

 

“Youngjae, my love.” I whipped around to see him with a sly smile. “You did that on purpose.”

 

“Well how else was I supposed to get you to look at me.” I sighed defeatedly. “What do you need?”

 

“Your help, I need to try and remember why I was cursed.”

 

“You want me to help you find a witch?” I screeched. He smiled smugly. “So you do believe me?”

 

I bit the inside of my cheek. “I-no but I can’t think of any other explanation for this situation.”

 

“Well in that case, I’m not trying to find the witch I want her to find me, but I’ll need to jog my memory.”

 

“Well how do we go about doing that?” I asked making his smile drop, his contorting into deep thought. Moments later a wide smile formed on his lips. “What do you know about hypnotherapy?”

 

-----

 

Nothing, that’s what I knew about hypnotherapy. Which is exactly why it was not included in the plan of jogging Daehyun’s memory. We’ve spent two weeks together trying multiple ways to figure out why he was cursed. Which also meant a lot of boundy push, mine in particular.

 

A stressful two weeks that involved the most speaking I’ve ever had to do, with people I didn’t know. An argument deciding whether or not we were going to tell the public. And after an argument with Daehyun who wanted to, I eventually gave in. Which of course meant reporters and questions, which apparently to Daehyun  was a good thing. He claimed it would not only let his friends know he was alive, but also the witch. That all lead up to tonight. We’ve planned a trap, disguised as a masquerade ball. If the witch were trying to find Daehyun this would surely be the time to go after him. Which worried me.

 

“You’ve been standing at the mirror for a while, do you need help?” Daehyun asked making me shake my head. “No I’m just thinking about..stuff.”

 

“What stuff?” He asked grabbing the tie from my hands. “What if this doesn’t go as planned?” He chuckled. “We’ve been over this, Youngjae.” I grabbed his hand that had been resting on my shoulder.

 

“What if something happens to you?” He pulled his hand away. “Ah I’m sure I’ll be fine.” Before I could say anything else there was a knock on my door. Yongwon peeked his head around the door. “Guys guests are starting to arrive.” I grabbed the silver mask off the table, handing it to Daehyun before exiting the room.

 

I walked down the staircase ignoring the flashes of cameras. My eyes casted over the bodies that filed into the ballroom. Their identities sealed away with masks. “Champagne sir?” I nodded taking the thin glass from the servers.

 

I leaned against the bar as my eyes searched for Daehyun. My eyes stopped on a grey tailcoat. He’d been talking two other people whose features I couldn’t decipher.

 

“What was it like?” I jumped at the unknown voice. “I’m sorry?” I asked turning to a woman whose face was covered by a red mask.

 

“What was it like, to see a dead man come back?” She asked

 

“Unreal, like a dream.” She nodded. “Wouldn’t a nightmare be more fitting?”  I shook my head. “Then I would be saying that it was a bad thing.” A smirk pulled at her cherry red lips as she held out her hand.  “Kim Man Yeo.” I shook her hand with a smile. “Yoo Youngjae.”

 

“I’m quite aware-.” She paused, my eyes followed her gaze. “It looks like your friend is leaving, I guess I should let you go.” I nodded, releasing her hand. I pushed through the double doors. I ran down the steps, grabbing onto Daehyun.

 

“What is your problem?” He shrugged my hand away. “Why do you care so much?” I stepped back confused. “What do you mean?”

 

“I’m the one who's forced to love you, so you don't have to pretend to love me back.”

 

My jaw tightened at the statement. “Is that what you think, that I’m just pretending.”

 

“Why else would you do all this?” I cupped the sides of his faces pressing his lips to mine.  “I’m doing all this because, I care about you Daehyun!” I said, running a hand through my hair. “I may not love you, but I do have these feelings I’ve never had for anyone but you.”

 

“But what about the witch?”

 

I grabbed his hand. “We can worry about that another day, the only thing I want now is you.”


A/N I know this took longer than I said and I’m sorry. But this ending no joke took so much longer to write. It;s no matter though, I’m just glad part one is finished. The second/final part  should be up soon guys. Hope you liked it :)