The Games We Play

Across the Universe

“I hate you,” Jieqiong said as she saw her character fall off the road as Nayoung’s zoomed ahead. She dropped the controller on the floor and stood up from where she was sitting. “I’m going to the room. You can play yourself.”


The couple had been playing the new Mario Kart that just came out and she was frustrated after seeing the same outcome of their races numerous times despite her efforts or whatever new strategies she tried to implement. Being the competitor she was, losing didn’t necessarily sit well with her. Maybe the suggestion to play videogames with Nayoung as a way to spend time given their busy schedules wasn’t exactly a good idea.


Nayoung paused the game, eyebrows furrowed in confusion. “Why are you so angry?”


“Because I was finally in first place after you winning all the time and then you hit me with that stupid blue turtle shell! After that you had the nerve to knock me off the road! You’re such a jerk!” She exclaimed with fists clenched at her side.


“How am I a jerk?” Nayoung leaned back in offense. She couldn’t believe what she was hearing. “Jieqiong, that’s the point of the game. You know, to win the race? I have to do whatever it takes. The game isn’t all ‘hey let’s just all drive peacefully and cross the line together’.” She tried to make logic of the situation but it probably wasn’t going to help.

 

“I don’t care.” She folded her arms and looked around the room, trying to avoid the gaze of the other girl.


Nayoung stared at her incredulously. “Okay, you’re being a child.”


“Well, you’re being an ” Jieqiong retorted.


She sighed in annoyance. “If you’re like this when why did you suggest we play to begin with? Knowing how much of a sore loser you are. ” She pressed start to resume the game and continued to play.


Jieqiong bit her lip, feeling hurt after hearing those words, and glared at the girl. “I don’t know. Maybe I wanted to spend time with my girlfriend.” She started making her way towards the bedroom.

 

Nayoung turned her head. “Oh, so it’s my fault?”


Her question was met with the thud of their door. She shook her head and turned off the console with her controller as soon as the race ended. She then placed the controller right next to her and laid back on the couch, looking at the TV screen. She didn’t need this stress right now.


She closed her eyes and contemplated. She had a right to be mad right? Her girlfriend was definitely in the wrong, being ridiculous over such a small thing. It’s just Mario Kart for goodness sake. Who fights over Mario Kart? She does, apparently. Out of everything to be upset about she picks that? Unbelievable, Nayoung thinks.

 

As minutes continued to pass by so did the looming feelings of regret. Maybe she was being too competitive. Maybe she was being a jerk. Maybe it was her fault. Nevertheless, all these maybes or other possibilities didn’t change the fact that her girlfriend was angry and probably sad because of her, which honestly was one of the worst feelings in the world.


After it had seemed like ages, Nayoung finally decided to get off the couch and started walking towards their bedroom. She figured that Jieqiong wouldn’t let her in if she had knocked so she slowly opened the door and stepped in. She sees the girl sitting on the bed playing with her iPad, not acknowledging her presence. Nayoung gulps, thinking of what to say and where to begin. “Jieqong?” She says softly.


The raven-haired girl continues tapping on her screen, face stoic, eyes not looking in her direction even once. Despite all of this, Nayoung knows she’s listening, so she continues. “I’m sorry.” She hugs herself, gazing at the carpeted floor. “I’m sorry for not being mindful of your feelings. I was a little too much.”


“Nah.” Jieqiong finally replies, setting the iPad aside. “I’m the one who should apologize.” She says while looking at her. “I was angry over such a petty thing. I mean, you’re right. It is just a videogame. Work has been stressing me out lately and I guess I channeled out my frustration through there. Sorry for acting that way. Forgive me?”


“You don’t even need to ask.” Nayoung grinned and the girl smiled in return. “Post fight hug?” She opened her long arms widely.


Jieqiong laughed loudly and then bounced into her arms, snuggling into the crook of her neck. She then faced the older girl and pecked her on the lips. “I love you.”


Nayoung blushed. “I love you too.”


“Oh my god you’re so cute. Blushing like that.” She poked her cheek and giggled. “We’ve been together since forever and you still act the same way whenever I kiss you. It’s like we’re in high school again.”


Nayoung swiped her hand and looked away, flustered. “Shut up.” An incredibly gorgeous girl with an amazing personality to boot just kissed her on the lips. How else was she supposed to feel? “Don’t remind me of high school please.”


A small grin emerged on Jieqiong’s face. “I know, wasn’t exactly the best time for me either. Teenagers can be so dumb sometimes. They should realize that creating unnecessary drama and spreading baseless rumors about others could seriously people up. But hey, high school had its ups too right?”


“Of course.” Nayoung nodded in agreement. “I met some amazing friends like Sejeong, Chungha, and the rest of the gang. I also met this short Chinese girl. She’s pretty cool.”


“Yeah? Did you end up dating her?” Jieqiong laughed.


“I ended up asking her to be my girlfriend. Surprisingly enough, she said yes. Crazy right?”


“Nah” she placed her hand on her cheek. “Not that crazy. Probably the best decision she’s made in her life to be honest.” She says and Nayoung feels the butterflies in her stomach. “You know what is crazy though?”


“What?” Nayoung asks, genuinely confused.


“How much I want to kiss you.” Jieqiong says as she leans forward.


Nayoung gulps and her back hits the door. “I-I just remembered that I was hungry! Yeah, uh, I’ll meet you in the kitchen!” She exclaimed and dashed out of the room leaving her by herself.


Jieqiong chuckled. Her girlfriend was adorable. With a look at the one of the many pictures of them scattered on the wall, she smiles before leaving and closing the door.

~

A/N: About the next update being longer. Um. –Runs away-

-Comes back-

Hope y’all enjoyed!