Under My Umbrella

Across the Universe
Nayoung was dying. She barely had an hour of sleep and her extremely boring professor wasn’t exactly helping. Maybe she shouldn’t have procrastinated on that paper that she knew about two weeks ago. Maybe she shouldn’t have skipped out on breakfast. Maybe she shouldn’t have gone to class at all and succumbed to the warmth that was her bed.

 
After falling in and out of sleep numerous times she hears the shuffling of students moving around and putting their desks back upwards. Guess class was over already. She rubbed her eyes and frowned at her ‘notes’. Notes as in a bunch of scribbled words with some ending with a line extending from one corner of the page to the other, indicating the moment where she probably dozed off. She was going to pay for that once midterms came around.

 
Nonetheless she packed up her stuff and made her way towards the exit of the building. Once outside she notices several students with umbrellas as rain droplets furiously hit the concrete around them. Luckily, she came prepared. She was tired of showing up the class without an umbrella and ending up being drenched on the way back to the dorm.

 
She got out her umbrella and heard a voice behind her.

 
“Are you kidding me? It’s raining? Ugh!”

 
She turned her head to see a girl with her backpack slumped over one shoulder. She was only wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and some Chuck Taylors. Did she not check the forecast or something? Then again, she wasn’t one to judge.

 
“Maybe I should chill here and wait for the rain stop.”

 
Nayoung debated whether or not she wanted to be a decent human being or just let the girl be.

 
“Yeah, I think I’ll do that.” The girl began to walk back towards the entrance.

 
“H-Hey” she awkwardly called out to her.

 
The girl turned around and raised an eyebrow. “Yes?”

 
“We…um. We could share my umbrella if you want.”

 
The girl stared blankly and Nayoung wishes she was anywhere but here. She could have already been walking back to the dorm but no she decided to be nice.

 
“Are you sure? You really don’t have to.”

 
“Yeah. I mean, it’s really pouring out there. Getting sick and I know how it feels walking in heavy rain without an umbrella.”

 
The girl smiles and says “Okay.” She makes her way towards Nayoung, who struggles a bit opening her umbrella. She really needed to a get a new one soon. “Do you usually ask random strangers to share with you?” She chuckles.

 
Nayoung blinks. It was only once the girl was right next to her did she realize how attractive she was. What did she get herself into? She shook her head to rid herself of these thoughts. “Um well-“

 
“I’m just kidding” she softly hits her shoulder. “Sorry if I’m being too weird. I know we just met.”

 
“No, no it’s okay. I’m weird too. So where are you heading…?”

 
“Oh! I’m Jieqiong by the way. I probably should have told you this already.”

 
“Nayoung” she says as she shakes her hand.

 
“Nice to meet you Nayoung.”

 
“Nice to meet you too.”

 
“I’m going back to the dorms. You?”

 
“Same. Let’s go?”

 
Jieqiong nods as the duo begin to walk. They continue to pass other students and Nayoung struggles to come up with things to say. She was never that great at small talk but if she didn’t try it would probably make the situation more awkward than it already was.

 
She figures that she starts with the basics. “So I assume you were coming from class or office hours or something?”

 
“Psychology with Professor Kahi” she replied. “You know you can get closer to me right? I don’t bite” she grinned, noticing the small distance between them.

 
Nayoung blushed as she scooted closer, trying to ignore the sweet strawberry scent of Jieqiong’s hair. Why was she so awkward? “Sorry. Wait you said you were in Kahi’s class? I’m in that class too.”

 
“Really? Awesome! I don’t think I’ve seen you before though. Where do you usually sit? I try to sit in the middle whenever I can. I feel like it’s the best of both worlds.”

 
“I sit towards the back. I usually get to class late so there’s barely any seats towards the front left. It takes me forever to get out of bed. ”

 
“I don’t blame you. 8am classes are the worst. Like why is it a thing? It was so much easier waking up when we were in high school.”

 
“Right? I don’t know why either. Maybe because we have to walk all the down to class instead of being dropped off or driving there.”

 
“True, very true.”

 
“At least we have to deal with this for only 8 more weeks.”

 
“Only 8?” Jieqiong giggled. “ You make it seem like 8 weeks is a short amount of time.”

 
Nayoung grinned. “It is though! The quarter system goes by super fast.”

 
“You right, you right. It’s a blessing and a curse, cause you know, exams and stuff.”

 
“Ugh, don’t get me started.”

 
As the two progressed towards the dorms they learned little things about each other such as how Jieqiong has this odd dislike for grey socks or how Nayoung’s friends often say that she resembles a stone. Needless to say, it was quite an insightful experience for both of them.
 
~
 
“Thanks Nayoung for walking me back to my dorm. I really appreciate it.”

 
“No problem” she said as she rubbed the back of her head bashfully. “Walking with you was fun.”

 
Jieqiong smiled at the comment. “Speaking of, we should go to class together.”

 
The thought of sitting together with Jieqiong made her happy. She rarely took classes with her friends since her major was different from theirs. Having company would definitely make the 8am grind more bearable.

 
“We should!” She says enthusiastically. “Maybe then I won't be late anymore.”

 
“Right? See aren’t you glad you shared your umbrella with me? I’m such a good person.” She placed a hand on her chest dramatically.

 
Nayoung rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say Jieqiong. Let’s exchange numbers?”

 
“Sure” she replied. She handed her phone to Nayoung and the latter did the same. After exchanging numbers the two prepared to say goodbye.

 
“Alright, I’ll see you soon. Text me if you need anything or if you just want to talk or something.”

 
“Will do. See you.”

 
Jieqiong smiled once last time before waving as she walked through the entrance of her dorm.

 
Nayoung took a deep breath as the girl disappeared from her sight. Staring at the grey clouds above her, she shook her head and started to walk back with a small grin on her face. She was glad she brought an umbrella to class today.

 
End
 
A/N: I know this was pretty short but I’m still trying to get back into that writing groove. It’s been forever. Next one will definitely be longer. Anyways, hope you enjoyed.