What Do You Mean? It's Only the First Day!

We Get It... You Vape
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Taeyong's POV:

Seriously, it's been two and a half years, and I have no ing idea what I'm doing, I say to myself while walking through the door to my first class of semester: Advanced Policy Analysis. How could I be in Advanced Policy Analysis if I've never even taken a normal policy analysis class or asked to analyze a policy?

I scan the room to look for a seat. I can't sit in the front row. I'm not that diligent, and I always skip class, so the professor will probably notice if I'm not there. At the same time, I don't want to sit in the freaking last row. That just screams I DON'T GIVE A FLYING ! That might be true, but I don't want the professor to know that... 

I'm still pretty early to the class, so there's a few seats open near the outlets. I snag one of those since this class is two hours long and I'll probably need to charge my laptop or phone, or both.

Fifth row: not too bad. The classroom was small anyway.

Everyone else already has their notebooks and pens out. Nerds... It's only the first day of class. Why would we need to take notes? So I sit casually scrolling through my newsfeed on Facebook. Of course Taeil hyung posted something about this being his last first day of college. He's so mushy like that. 

I was so immersed in imagining Taeil hyung walking into the piano studio with tears welling up at the edges of his eyes (he's a music major) that I flinched when someone suddenly tapped me on my sholder. In my spastic episode, I dropped my phone onto the desk, making a loud thud in the silent classroom and drawing everyone's eyes to me. Great, Taeyong... Just what you need: Everyone's attention on the first day. You're already going to draw enough attention once the class actually starts as the dumb one to avoid for group work. 

"Sorry to scare you," the person sitting next to me started. 

When did someone sit down next to me?! Still in my flustered state, I stutter, looking for something to say, "Uh... N-... Mm...." The guy just looks at me with a puzzled look on his face, tilting his head slightly to the left. "Oh, sor-... I mean, no, it's okay. Not your fault." 

He flashes me a subtle, meek smile as if to say "I'm still sorry." "Do you mind plugging in my charger for me?" He asks and extending his arm to offer me one end of his charger. "I forgot to charge my laptop last night." He gives me that same smile again, making it hard to say no. 

"No problem," I say, not really caring for the reason behind the favor. I mean, what else did I expect? I chose to sit next to the outlets. After grabbing his charger, I get up from my seat and bend over the front of my desk to reach the outlet. My hand is riiiiiight there, but still far away enough for me to be struggling to reach the outlet. I'm even on my tippy toes, but I still can't reach it! I hope the person behind me doesn't mind the sight of my in the air like this...

"Hi, class!" Someone (I'm assuming the professor) says in a booming voice, causing me to nearly lose my footing, basically falling over the front of my desk... until someone grabs onto the back of my jacket to keep me from completely tumbling over and pulling me back into my seat. 

I sit back into my seat as nonchalantly as possible, trying to play off the fact that I nearly just tipped over my desk and almost fell flat on my face. I turn to slightly look at the guy sitting next to me, expecting to apologize, but he had already pulled out his notebook and pen and put away his laptop. "It's fine. I can live with taking handwritten notes this time. It's not like we'll be doing much learning today anyways," he says to me in a hushed whisper as the professor passes out copies of the syllabus down the rows. 

Taeyong, you're really making a great first impression in this class. First, the phone. Next, the t-. My thoughts are completely thrown off again by this guy next to me knudging what seems to be a 20-page packet into my arm. "Oh, sorry. Thanks," I say as I grab the syllabus, running my other hand through my hair, trying to get myse

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter