Final

The firmament of you

It was two months earlier, Sehun sent Baekhyun a message that Chanyeol had been staring of the sky for quite some time. It was ever since Baekhyun left the dorm regularly for personal schedule. He didn’t know why, but he was too busy to spare a time for giving Chanyeol a call. Furthermore, with a new subunit team with Jongdae and Minseok, all he was thinking about focusing on work. Their fans were anticipating since the company had released a surprise teaser all over the social media.

 

Chanyeol congratulated them once when they returned from work. He showed all the excitement and was too happy as he ranted in words, but Baekhyun knows Chanyeol was the saddest person who wears the thick mask.

 

“You’ll be more recognizable than before! Good luck on your promotion, and I’ll support you from the back!” Chanyeol said with the fire in his eyes.

 

***

 

A month later, Junmyeon told Baekhyun that Chanyeol had slightly lost his focus during composing a song. However, he ended up staring outside from the window... again. Junmyeon had lost his count, but Baekhyun noticed Chanyeol never did that when he was at the dorm. When he was around, Chanyeol always smiled at him without a miss. That honest smile he remembered after more than five years being together with him.

 

Now Baekhyun was worried.

 

It was hard to see Chanyeol having difficulties alone. Baekhyun was starting to think if the members were pranking him on the fact. He had been thinking over this, until recently, Jongdae, Minseok and he had to go to the Japan for another promotion. Kyungsoo called him that night, and it was a mess. The younger nearly shouted at him over the phone call, as he tried to calm himself down.

 

“Give him a call, goddammit. He has to get up early tomorrow morning, he is still not returning from his ‘prison’.” Kyungsoo said.

 

With all the curiosity and tolerant, Baekhyun decided to give Chanyeol a call. He didn’t look surprised when the caller answered immediately after the second it rang. Instantly, Chanyeol’s voice boomed in his ears and he sounded nothing but happiness. Baekhyun greeted him, asking him ‘how are you’, ‘are you well’ or ‘why you aren’t at your bed or else Kyungsoo will slit your throat tonight’.

 

“I can’t sleep.” That was the first excuse Chanyeol gave to him. “I watch the stars to accompany me. Have you seen them? They are plenty and shine beautifully in the sky right now!”

 

Baekhyun was anticipating for the stars, and he walked to the balcony to watch them. However, it was cloudy that night, he couldn’t see the stars.

 

“Sorry, the stars are hiding behind the clouds on my side. I guess it’s going to rain soon.” Baekhyun said in disappointment.

 

Baekhyun heard he sighed lightly, which made Baekhyun felt guilty for letting him down.

 

“It’s alright. Can you call me again when you see the stars next time?” Chanyeol suggested.

 

“Of course. Now go back to sleep. I mean it.” Baekhyun ushered him to go bed, and Chanyeol obeyed without a second thought. They ended the call that night, and Baekhyun knew that Chanyeol will get scolded later by the wide eyed vocalist.

 

***

 

It was the last day of the CBX promotion in Japan, but Baekhyun requested to the managers that he wanted to stay for another day. He really loves the country so much and wanted to buy the toys and clothes for himself and the members. While he was walking in the middle of the street, the night sky was clear and he could see the stars. It was as Chanyeol described; plenty and beautiful. He remembered his promise to Chanyeol, so he gave him a call.

 

“Hey! The sky’s clear today! I can see the stars!” Baekhyun said cheerfully without saying his greeting at all. He could feel the rapper was smiling widely behind the line.

 

“That’s awesome! My side is clear too!” He said with full of energy in return.

 

They talked for a full minute or two, until Baekhyun happened to notice something was off. It was very faint, but he could hear it. Sometimes he kept his words as minimum as he could hear the faint sound. And he regretted when he found out.

 

There was a faint sound of raindrops in the call. He didn’t know why Chanyeol had to lie about it, and wondered why Chanyeol didn’t being honest about the rain.

 

“Chanyeol, can I ask you something?” Baekhyun waited until Chanyeol told him to continue. “I can hear the rain on your side.”

 

Chanyeol cut the line immediately.

 

Baekhyun was shocked, and puzzled at the same time. He blinked a couple times on his phone screen. It was when his phone buzzed later, and a message popped out of it. Chanyeol messaged him that he got an emergency call from a manager, and promised to give a call later.

 

Baekhyun didn’t send a reply after that.

 

Back to Baekhyun’s hotel room, he couldn’t sleep that night. The echoes of the raindrops kept him awake, and reminded all the time. He hasn’t yet found the answer why wouldn’t Chanyeol explain or even lie to him about the rain. Thinking too much making Baekhyun sighed loudly before grabbing his phone to read all the fans tagged his name in social media. He smiled when they tagged his name with funny and memorial pictures. The pictures were old, but still golden to his heart.

 

It was until he stopped at one image that caught his attention. He couldn’t remember it, but it was a long time ago when he saw it. There was a note on the image, and as he read it once, it hit him hard on his thick brain.

 

Baekhyun sat up abruptly, as if the missing puzzle piece slammed into its empty spot. Now he knew why Chanyeol kept looking outside the window, why Chanyeol asked him about the stars, and why he had to lie about the rain. The vocalist jumped off the bed and changed his attire. He packed his stuffs into the luggage before calling a taxi to rush to the airport without Minseok, Jongdae and the managers knew. He’ll be scolded later, but it wasn’t as important as now. He was lucky to have the available flight in an hour to Seoul that time. When the announcement made its final call of the flight, Baekhyun sent a direct message to Chanyeol. It was short, but understandable.

 

‘In front of the studio. 5 am. Sharp.’

 

***

 

As soon as the plane touched the ground of Baekhyun’s beloved country, he never stops running. Even the fans were shocked by his sudden appearance in Seoul. It was further than Baekhyun expected to reach the studio, and he was already out of breath. The sky was slowly turning from dark to light blue, and that was where he saw him from far.

 

Chanyeol was staring at the horizon, waiting for the sun to rise. As the sun slowly showed itself, Baekhyun appeared in his view. Baekhyun could see Chanyeol’s eyes went wide as he saw him, but he didn’t make a move. Baekhyun’s breath was rigid, but slowly calmed as he slowly walked to him. His luggage, stuffs, everything heavy on him dropped on the ground, and he wasn’t thinking about them anymore. They kept staring into each other eyes for long until Baekhyun broke the silence.

 

“Do you prefer to watch the sky turning its color... or me?” The vocalist asked him quietly.

 

Channels expression changed, as he lunged forward to give Baekhyun a tight hug. It was quick that Baekhyun froze on the spot and couldn’t do anything. He felt Chanyeol’s head rested on his shoulder, before slightly leaned closer until he felt his breath tickled his ear.

 

“Do I even need to choose, when you’re my most beautiful sky ever?” Chanyeol whispered.

 

Baekhyun blinked once, and his lips curled into a smile. Eventually, he returned the hug and lost the track of the time on how long they’ve been in that position for a long time. However, for Baekhyun, it didn’t even matter anymore.

 

Chanyeol missed him. Chanyeol loved him. Chanyeol always think of him, of the color of the sky. When the sky was clear, Chanyeol thinks of Baekhyun is the happiest person on earth. When the stars shine above, he thinks of Baekhyun being the most beautiful man, as attractive as a jewel. And when it rained, he thinks of Baekhyun’s tears and needed him the most.

 

When Baekhyun felt the taller man broke the hug, he lifted his head up to see Chanyeol’s face came to his view. Baekhyun didn’t have an urge to move away as he let the taller sealed his lips against him. It has been a while since their last kiss, and it was satisfying every time when they kissed together. Chanyeol wouldn’t think he could kiss the sky, when it once turned red during the sunset. But he could always able to kiss his ‘sky’ when he sees how red Baekhyun’s lips are.

 

Chanyeol will never feel alone when his ‘sky’ existing above him, keep reminding and watching him forever.

 

*A fan wrote “What color when you thought of Baekhyun?” Chanyeol wrote ‘SKY’.