The Queen's Proposition

Crimson Legend || Hwarang

 

“Goodness. How much did you drink that the best swordsman in the capital lost?” said Minister Seub, looking at his son with disapproval while Sooho on the other hand slowly drank his tea— trying not to crane his neck that was wrapped in a cloth-like neck brace.

“I apologize.” Sooho says a little sheepishly before glaring at his sister, Sooyeon who sat across him.

Her eyes went comically wide when she saw him glaring at her and she immediately looked away, stuffing a small piece of bread in in the process.

“I heard,” his father continues, “Banryu got a pass, but you got a fail.”

Sooho looks at him, “Yes.” he answers without hesitation.

“Why you...” Minister Seub made a move to hit him but sees the brace on his neck. He placed his hand down instead, sighing in exasperation while Sooho smiled at him innocently.

“Aigoo. Fine.” he shakes his head, looking once again at his son. “You may have lost in writing but you must win in everything physical. That is my battle of pride with Minister Youngshil.”

 

“Also,” he adds, “I heard that Lady Heo Chunhwa is staying at Hwarang House. Was it true?”

 

“Yes, father.” Sooho looked at his father, a little surprised at the mention of Lady Heo’s name.

“Really? Had I known that she was not staying at the old residence, I would have just asked her to stay here in Kim Residence instead.” Minister Seub says with a fond smile.

“But father, how did you know her?” he asked, looking confused and curious at the same time now that her name was mentioned. Even Sooyeon was looking at their father, curious as well.

“Ah, yes that’s right.” their father looked at the two of them, “You two were young then, that’s why you do not completely remember but her grandfather and I are good friends when he was still alive. Lady Chunhwa used to tag along with him sometimes whenever he visits our residence to play with Sooyeon.”

“Oh? Now that you have mentioned it father, I think I do remember her a little bit from when I was young.” Sooyeon nods in agreement. Sooho looks at her with a confused expression before turning to his father.

“But why can’t I remember her? I know almost every girl who had played with Sooyeon when we were younger except her.”

“That’s because you dated all of them!” his sister says bitterly and he made a face at her.

 

Their father laughs, “Do you not remember at all? When you were still children she punched you in the face once. She stopped visiting after that because she got scared when you cried after.”

 

“She...” Sooho looks horrified, “She punched me in the face!?”

Minister Seub laughed heartily, “Yes. Yes she did. You kept on bullying your sister and she did not like that.” he shook his head. “Aigoo, I could never forget that day.”

Sooho on the other hand felt like he wanted the ground to swallow him whole at that moment. He remembered the day he first met Chunhwa and how she responded to him. Does she remember him? But why can’t he remember that memory? Perhaps it was probably buried deep in his memories that were supposed to be forgotten forever.

 

Of course— a girl punching the handsome Kim Sooho in the face? That is a big slap to his ego.

 

His eyes caught Sooyeon’s who was secretly laughing at him and he glares hard at her. She stuck her tongue out to him in return.

“And that is another reason why you should win in everything physical, Sooho-yah.” his father says, looking expectantly at him. “You should impress Lady Chunhwa— show her that you are the best Hwarang and the best man to choose as a husband!”

His father’s last words stopped him from internally wallowing in self-pity. Sooho and Sooyeon looked at each other, and then at their father— shock and confusion evident on their faces.

“I apologize father,” he said, not believing his ears. “But I do not understand what you are trying to say.”

His father smiles rather proudly at him.

 

“I plan to make Lady Chunhwa my daughter-in-law, Sooho-yah.” Minister Seub says, “I bet her grandfather would also want that as well if he were still alive.”

 



 

The Hwarang men found themselves gathered in the main courtyard of Hwarang House the afternoon after coming back from their day-off. Master Wi Hwa, together with Master Bujae stood at the podium— looking down at the Hwarang men with smiles on their faces.

“Regardless, the music assignment has been completed.” the Chief Instructor says, pleased.

“Did you have fun?”

“Yes, Chief Instructor!” the Hwarang men chorused.

Master Wi Hwa nods, chuckling.

“The people enjoyed it and you enjoyed it, so I have no reason not to give you all a pass.”

At that, the Hwarang men whooped with happiness— celebrating the pass they have received. The two instructors who were at the podium were looking at them proudly.

“Are you curious about the next assignment?” he continues when the Hwarang men paid attention to him once again.

“But before the assignment, I plan to give all of you a baggage.”

“Baggage?” Sooho echoes to himself while every Hwarang were looking at each other curious about what the Chief Instructor had said.

“You will find out about the baggage I plan to give to all of you tomorrow. For now, I will let you enjoy your free time as a reward from getting a pass with your assignment.” Master Wi Hwa adds before turning to his Assistant Chief Instructor.

“Are they ready?” he asks him.

“Yes.”

 



 

The Hwarangs were gathered in the main courtyard once again the next morning. However, this time, in front of each Hwarang men were a Nando kneeling before them.

The Nando men are head disciples who were selected to enter the Hwarang House— they serve as the Hwarang’s right hand man while the Nando will serve the Hwarang as their leader or master.

“The man before you will be the head of your disciples.” announced Master Wi Hwa from the podium where he and the Assistant Chief Instructor stands.

“From now on, you shall order them around as your subordinate. At times, you will need their help.”

“Stand!” the Assistant Chief Instructor says and the Nando men stood up from their kneeling position.

 

“Show respect!”

 

The Nando men raised their right arm in front of them and bowed their head to their Hwarangs. As they placed down their arm and looked at their Hwarang in the eye, Jidwi looked at his Nando with a resigned expression.

Pa Oh stood in front of Jidwi, clad in his Nando uniform. His face twitched when the young King gave him a strained smile.

“You have lost your mind.” he told Pa Oh almost inaudibly through his gritted teeth, “You have no respect for me, right? Life must be so easy, right?”

The older man on the other hand was subtly flinching in surprise every time Jidwi made subtle attempts as if wanting to hit him.

“I had no choice. This was the only way to serve you from nearby.” Pa Oh whispers and the younger in a deep breath to stop himself from anything he might do.

He exhales, exasperatedly.

“How old did you say you were?”

“I said I was 22 years old.” Pa Oh answers him, looking proud.

Jidwi grunts at that, “Not even 10 years, but 20?”

Pa Oh subtly looked left and right to see if someone was watching them before he answers the young King.

“That is because I look so young.” he says, pointing his fore fingers on each side of his face.

“Why you—“ Jidwi made the move to knock his bodyguard but the older man stopped him as he scrunched his face, telling Jidwi that there are people who might see them through his facial expression.

The young King placed down his hand and closed his eyes as he sighed in defeat once again.

 

“Heads of Disciples, to your places!”

 

The Nandos made their way to stand behind their Hwarangs and at the same time, the Hwarang’s General together with another person went up the podium to join the two instructors. The Hwarang men started whispering to each other as a woman dressed in warrior’s clothing steps into the space beside Master Wi Hwa— showing herself to the Hwarangs and Nandos.

Jidwi froze— his face twisted in pure shock as Pa Oh, who had the same expression as well leaned towards him to whisper.

“Your Majesty, isn’t that?”

 

 

Chunhwa stared down at the Hwarangs and the Nandos in front of her with a blank expression. Master Wi Hwa spared her a look before turning to the men below them.

“This is Lady Heo who had observed each of you during your second assignment and now, you shall call her your teacher who will guide you along the way. She and the Hwarang’s General will be your mentors in terms of physical skills especially in martial arts.”

 

His face changed into a stern look.

 

“I expect everyone to treat her with respect and obey her rules during your trainings. She may be a woman— and a person younger than most of you, but I am confident that she has more knowledge in the art of war more than you could imagine.”

The Chief Instructor turned to Chunhwa and gestured her to say something towards the Hwarangs and Nandos. She gave him a nod and stepped forward, clearing .

“Now that we are done with festivities and celebrations, it is time to hone your fighting skills to the fullest.” she starts, looking at every single one of them but refusing to meet anyone’s eye.

“Everyone shall improve their martial arts and learn more about the art of war in order to become the great future warriors of Silla. You must become one, teach and be taught, and compete with other Hwarangs.”

 

She paused to turn her head towards Master Wi Hwa with a smile.

 

“Also, being called your teacher is too formal don’t you think?”

The Chief Instructor smiles amusingly at her as she turned her head back to address the Hwarang and Nando men with the same smile. The Hwarang men were struck on the other hand as it was the first time they have seen her give a smile that was addressed towards them ever since the first time she was introduced that night before the festival and the day she came to Hwarang House.

“That’s why I would like it better if everyone will call me Miss Chunhwa instead. I think I would feel more comfortable addressed with that instead of being called your teacher. Can we all agree on that?”

 

“Yes, Miss Chunhwa!”

 

While some of the Hwarang men were looking at her dreamily like they once did, Jidwi was looking intently at Chunhwa— the thoughts inside his head became messier than before.

‘But why?’ he thinks, as Chunhwa caught him staring at her. He gave her a faint smile before casting down his eyes on the ground— hands clenched tightly on his sides.

‘Why would you come back to Silla? On top of that, why would my mother put you here in Hwarang House as one of our teachers? Is there something my own mother is not telling me?’

 

Sooho on the other hand looked at Chunhwa determinedly; his conversation with his father yesterday before he went back to Hwarang House was stuck in his mind.

 

 

“Father, are you serious about what you have said during breakfast a while ago?” he asks, looking down across his father who sat on his chair in his room.

His father smiled at him, “Why? Did you think I was not? I am actually planning to visit Her Highness one of these days to tell her that I intend to make Lady Chunhwa my daughter-in-law in the future.”

“Besides,” Minister Seub continued when Sooho only looked at him, “If you marry her, it would also be an advantage to our family as she is the granddaughter of Lord Guhae, the former King of Geumgwan Gaya— the ministry official who had the highest rank during his time, even higher than Minister Youngshil.”

“If that happens, our family and her family, who are the supporters of the royal family will be stronger than that dissident. Do you understand what I am trying to tell you?”

 

“Yes, father.” he answers— uncertainty starting to bud deep inside his heart.

 

 

‘But,’ Sooho thinks, gazing up at Chunhwa. ‘I am not even sure if you would want me.’


Author's Note:

Hello to my new subscribers!
I hope you guys like this chapter!!
Hope my silent readers could drop some comments as well!
Your comments serve as an added motivation to me. hihi : )

- flyingjunmyeons [20170517]