The Beginning

Crimson Legend || Hwarang

 

“So what do you think about Hwarang?”

 

As promised, Princess Sookmyung came to the Hwarang House that evening. Master Wi Hwa had told Chunhwa that together with the Princess, she will also be staying at the Hwarang House by the Queen’s order. At first, she was confused as to why they had to stay in a place full of men when a letter coming from the Queen herself was then delivered to her by Princess Sookmyung’s female bodyguard.

The letter contained a proposition from the Queen that she can’t definitely say no to.

 

“Chunhwa eonni?”

 

Chunhwa snapped out from her deep thoughts as she turned her head towards Princess Sookmyung who was looking at her, concerned.

“Are you alright?”

She blinked and looked around her. They were on their way towards the courtyard where the Hwarang men are currently practicing their performance. Damyi was also looking at her concerned when she suddenly stopped walking all of a sudden. She looked back at the princess who was looking at her questioningly.

“Yes. I’m sorry,” She looked at her. “Were you saying something, Your Highness?”

Princess Sookmyung sighs and shakes her head. She turns around and started walking again, Chunhwa immediately followed her.

“I’ll just ask again later. We are here.”

 

 

 

 

“Ha!”

The Hwarang men pointed their wooden swords and inclined their bodies in a diagonal position as their final pose. Master Wi Hwa chuckles at the Hwarang men, impressed. He looked at Master Wooreuk who turned towards him and gave him a satisfied nod, smiling at the Chief Instructor’s reaction and the Hwarang’s perfect transition of their performance from the start until the end.

Master Wi Hwa’s smile suddenly drops as he spots Princess Sookmyung and Chunhwa making their way towards them together with Damyi and the female bodyguard.

 

“It’s the Princess and the visitor from the North.” a Hwarang says, looking in awe.

 

Sooho stared at Chunhwa, noticing that she is wearing different clothing this time— something similar with the Princess’s clothing but was emerald green, silver, and white in color— from the one they have seen her in this morning when she arrived at the Hwarang House. Chunhwa met his eyes before looking towards everyone in the area.

The Hwarang men who were still in their positions stood upright as they looked at the two maidens standing in front of them. Master Wi Hwa, Master Wooreuk, and Hwarang’s general who was also present bowed at them in respect. The Chief Instructor turns to the Hwarang men as he introduces the two.

 

“This is Princess Sookmyung and Lady Heo, the late Lord Guhae’s granddaughter who had finally returned to Silla after spending a long time in the North.”

The Hwarangs started whispering at each other as they recall who Lord Guhae is after hearing Master Wi Hwa’s introduction at the two. Jidwi furrowed his eyebrows in a deep thought.

 

‘Lord Guhae has a granddaughter? I didn’t know.’

 

Master Wi Hwa cleared his throat and the murmurs slowly died as he continued, “They will be staying at Hwarang House for a while as the princess will teach you of your flaws while Lady Heo will watch and observe each of you.”

Princess Sookmyung looked at each men but her gaze lingered towards Sunwoo who frowned but gazed at her in return. Jidwi looked at Princess Sookmyung and then at Chunhwa, still trying to figure out where he had possibly met her before.

“What are you good at, Your Highness?” an insolent Hwarang from the back suddenly says and everyone looks at him— the other Hwarang men beside him hauling his arm in alarm. He looks at Chunhwa as well, undaunted from the stares he received already from the Chief Instructor just by asking the princess alone.

“And what about you, Lady Heo?”

 

Chunhwa looked right into the Hwarang’s eyes with challenge. She and Princess Sookmyung shared a look before they both walked down towards the center and the Hwarang men parted— giving them space in the middle.

As the two reached the middle, Princess Sookmyung gave the insolent Hwarang a look before turning towards Sunwoo— looking at him in the eye as she stood in front of him. Chunhwa on the other hand turned her back from Princess Sookmyung as she stood in front of another Hwarang. Yeowool looked at her as she stood in front of him, she unsheathed her sword and threw the case beside him— he looked at the case that landed beside his feet and the two of them shared an intense eye contact.

 

Both started to move their swords in sync, jumping and striking— the two mirroring each other’s moves. Princess Sookmyung planted her feet firmly on the ground from a jump, turning her head towards Sunwoo as she looks at him again. Sunwoo watched her, frowning as usual before she stood up straight, placing her sword in her right shoulder while raising her left arm in a horizontal position. Chunhwa did the same and they started to walk in a circular direction, Sooho not taking his eyes off her as he intently watches her beside Sunwoo.

At this cue, Master Wooreuk started to beat the drums in a certain rhythm. Chunhwa and Princess Sookmyung rounding up from opposite directions before twirling and doing a cartwheel twice with Chunhwa making her way towards the front and Princess Sookmyung towards the back. Landing gracefully, they stood and moved once again in complete sync— Hansung watching them jaw-slacked from complete awe. The princess then twirled a few times as she made her way towards the direction of the Hwarang who dared the two of them and pointed her sword near his throat as her final pose.

 

“Well,” she says and stood up straight, not taking her eyes off from the Hwarang. “Something like that?”

 

The Hwarang refused to meet her in the eye, ashamed. Jidwi silently chuckled.

Chunhwa turned her head towards the princess and smirked at her words. The both of them made their way back towards the front, Sooho looking impressed at the two’s performance especially at Chunhwa.

“Who knew someone as graceful as her could do something astounding like that.” he whispers to himself, smiling in wonder.

 

“I’ve heard a lot of great things about the future warriors of Silla.” Chunhwa turned towards the Hwarang men and gave them a cunning smile as she spoke.  “Thus, I expect you to do your best and prove to me that you are indeed fitting to be the King’s Hwarang.” she looks at the Hwarang who challenged them earlier, “Even with those cocky attitudes of yours.”

“Wow, I didn’t know she had that kind of attitude. Looks can be indeed deceiving.” Yeowool silently muses to himself.

Princess Sookmyung’s lips twitched in a faint smirk at Chunhwa’s words as she looked at the Hwarangs.

“I hear this performance is Hwarang’s introduction to the capital.” she says strongly, “You must not make any mistakes. Do you understand?”

Everyone stays silent but their silence meant that they clearly understood the princess’s words. Master Wi Hwa smiled in confidence, knowing that his Hwarangs will do their best on their performance tomorrow night at the festival.

 



 

“I can’t believe he dared to ask us that.” Chunhwa shakes her head in disbelief as she and Princess Sookmyung return to the guest quarters in the Hwarang House.

“You’re kind of right about what you’ve said about those Hwarang men except that it’s not a lair of pigs but a lair of cocky men who thinks they own the world.”

“At least he got what he deserved.” Princess Sookmyung says, stopping suddenly that Chunhwa almost bumps into her in surprise.

“But, who is that Hwarang that kept on looking at you?” the princess asks and she looked at her confused.

“What do you mean? The handsome one with big eyes?”

’The handsome one’?” Princess Sookmyung almost laughs. “Okay, he is good-looking but I can’t believe you defined him as handsome.”

Chunhwa was the one who laughs this time as they enter the princess’s room. She sat on one of the chairs, placing her hand under her chin as she leaned on the table— she waited for the princess to take her seat across from her first before she started to speak once again.

“Well, if I haven’t told you yet I have met a lot of men during my stay in the North so I know who is handsome and who isn’t.” she shrugs, the princess rolling her eyes playfully at the older’s words knowing that they’re not completely true at all.

“Besides, even if he is handsome and he captivated me the first time we met he’s not really my type.”

Princess Sookmyung leans on the table as she looks at her teasingly.

“It all starts with that ‘he’s not my type’ excuse. You never even told me that you have already met someone here in Hwarang House.”

Chunhwa blinks, “Yah. It’s because he dropped a terrible pick-up line that I told myself to forget that I even met him. I’m even very sure he is a playboy by just what he did.”

The princess finally laughs at that, “A terrible pick-up line? Must I feel bad for you that the first man you met after arriving here in Silla is a playboy?”

“Ugh, you’re free to feel anything.” she shakes her head in defeat.

“Anyway, enough about me. How about you? I saw you earlier looking at that frowning but handsome Hwarang. I even think that dance we made earlier was actually to impress him.”

Princess Sookmyung leans back and Chunhwa smiles at her action.

“Is he the one you were telling me the other night?”

The younger did not speak but jerked her head in a slight nod that Chunhwa wouldn’t even notice she did if she was not paying attention.

“Ah.”

The princess turns hear head away but the older of the two reached out to her, placing her hand on top of hers— Princess Sookmyung looks at her.

“It’s okay, this will be our little secret.” Chunhwa gave her a reassuring smile. “No one has to know.”

 



 

The Hwarang men inside the dining area of the Hwarang House were filled with excitement as they eat their breakfast the next morning.

Their performance that will serve as their official introduction to the capital will be happening tonight during the Moon Festival and most of them couldn’t wait to finally perform and showcase their skills.

Sooho looked at Jidwi who was seated across from him and gave him a share of his rice. Jidwi looks up to him at this action.

“Are you completely fine now?” he asks.

“Hm?” Jidwi gave him a confused look before immediately nodding as he suddenly remembers what Sooho was talking about.

“That’s good.” Sooho nods, placing his hands on the table. “I must do well on this performance tonight no matter what. I plan to show the Queen my deep loyalty and prove to Lady Heo that I am truly the King’s Hwarang.”

“So,” he looks at everyone in the table. “Please cooperate.”

Yeowool softly scoffs at that. “You just wanted to impress the Queen especially Lady Heo with your performance.”

Sooho turns to him confused, “What?”

Yeowool smiles and shakes his head.

 

“I can’t believe you like a woman with that kind of attitude.” he whispers to himself.

 



 

Chunhwa was having her morning walk in the Hwarang House courtyard after eating breakfast when she saw a familiar face coming towards her direction.

“Oh,” she softly says as the two of them reached each other.

Sunwoo looked at Chunhwa, frowning as usual but nonetheless bowed to her in greeting. Chunhwa nods at him in acknowledgement but just as he was about to go on his way, she spots a familiar bracelet on his wrist.

 

“Stop right there, Hwarang.”

 

Sunwoo stops and turns around to look at her, his frown deepening. Chunhwa approached him and she takes his wrist in her hand, raising it to their eye level. He looked at the dragon bracelet wrapped on his wrist and back at her who was looking at him with a serious expression.

“I’ve seen this bracelet before. Do you know what this bracelet means?” she says, afraid yet hoping at the same time.

Sunwoo gently swats his hand away from her grasp.

“I’m sorry but I don’t know. It does not belong to me.”

She furrowed her eyebrows and opened to ask about what he meant by that vague answer but he had already given her another bow and immediately walked away.

Chunhwa watched his departing back with a longing expression.

 

‘Sam Maek Jong, have I finally found you?’


Author's Note:

I wanted to wait until tomorrow to update but I decided,
why not put this up before I go to sleep? lmao. Anyway, I
decided to update this every Wednesdays and Saturdays
or depending on how fast I will finish a chapter ('cause I'm
busy reading my Harry Potter books lol
#HarryPotterisLIFETM)
And I'm also done dividing  the chapters so I was right that
this story will have almost 45 chapters. Yay for my brain lol.

Hope you guys like this chapter!! It's the longest so far kk
Comments and Feedback are appreciated!
An upvote could be a plus too! : )

- flyingjunmyeons [20170428]