Intern - epilogue 1

Intern

"So, what's so special about me that you wanted to be an intern under me?" 

They had changed out of their white coat and Kyuhyun drove out to a pizza cafe. Dr Lee Sungmin has overcome his surprise that 'gamegyu" was all along his intern Cho Kyuhyun and asking Dr Kim Youngwoon didn't help as Dr Kim said to ask Kyuhyun himself. 

Throughout his internship, Kyuhyun was not only charming and well-mannered but also behave very gentlemanly towards him, like how a potential  boyfriend would treat a lady of his desire. Actually Sungmin has grown to like him but the more he knew Kyuhyun, the more mysterious he was. Now he could piece all the jigsaw puzzles together. Those times that he disappeared was because he was with Dr Kim, discussing and completing computerisation of the Research Centre's medical system. Now he felt stupid of suspecting Kyuhyun of having a relationship with Dr Kim! 

"Was that why you were quiet throughout the drive? Because you were still wondering why I wanted to be an intern under your care?"

"I was just wondering, that's all. That all along I was so dumb not to realise that you are 'gaemgyu' and the top student that Dr Kim hired to upgrade our medical centre" 

"My fault too, I never tell you. The truth is, I wanted to give you a surprise, and I wanted you to be proud of me"

"I am proud of you! Just that  I was angry with myself for suspecting you" 

"Suspecting me of what?" 

"I don't know, you are always so mysterious, always disappeared during breaks and I could never have lunch with you. And if I bumped into you after those breaks, you were always with Dr Kim Youngwoon".

Kyuhyun laughed out loud "You mean you thought that I was having an affair with Dr Kim? I was discussing and updating him on the progress of the research lab and finalising the data and research records to be uploaded in the server" 

"I know, I know, I'm sorry Kyuhyun, for jumping to conclusion". 

"Heyyy, it's ok. That means I got hope" 

"Hope for what?" 

"That you like me too" 

Sungmin smile "Do you need me to tell you that?" 

"It would be nice if I know for sure. And to answer your question on what's so special about you that I want to be an intern under you? Well, whenever I came over to start on the research work and computerisation of the medical centre, I always saw you, either eating at the cafeteria, or talking to the nurses or walking while reading, and I wanted to get to know you better, but you never really look at me" 

Sungmin interrupted him "Kyu, I didn't know you at that time. There are really a lot of interns and junior doctors around, but I did remember that I saw you. With your curly hair and spectacles" 

Kyuhyun laughed "Yeah I looked very nerdy right?  My sister scolded me and asked me to look at the mirror and visualised whether will the patients respect me if I didn't look good? And I asked myself, will Dr Lee Sungmin look at me even after I groomed myself? So I attended this personal grooming course and I changed how I look. The lecturer was right, I feel more confident when I look good! "

"So, part of the reason why you changed your look was, because of me?" Sungmin felt honoured and touched at the same time. 

"Yes, if I can woo Dr Lee, it's all worth while" 

"Kyu! You don't need to woo me.." 

"That was why I decided, the best way to get to know you and to woo you, was to be an intern under you. That way I could spent all my time with you, walked next to you, look at you and listen to your voice every day" 

"Do you like me that much?" 

"With all my heart" Kyuhyun looked directly at Sungmin. 

"Kyu, stop it, don't stare at me like that" Sungmin said shyly. 

"Sungmin, I really like you. I'm sorry if I am too bold or too inexperienced, but I really can't help it. I hope you can accept me and don't mind our " 

"I don't mind our and I got no problem with that. I like you too, Kyuhyun. But you are young and a top student, you should explore the world and gain experience by working at top hospitals" 

"And be away from you? I can't. I am too in love to stay away from you"

"Oh my God, Kyu, you are making me blush". 

"You are so beautiful. I wonder why the nurses did not try to get you to be their boyfriend" 

"I treated them just like colleagues. And some of them knew that I prefer men. And when you came, they started taking an interest in you, but your attention was only on me, I think they eventually gave up!" 

"Haha, you are right, my attention was only and will only be on you" 

"Kyuhyun, are you serious to start a relationship with me?" 

"100% serious. Sungmin, will you be my boyfriend?" 

Sungmin smile happily "I think I am the happiest man on Earth now! Of course Kyu, I would love to be your boyfriend!" 

"Too bad we are in an open cafe. Else I would hug you and kiss you" Kyuhyun whispered to Sungmin, making Sungmin blushed again. 

After sipping his coffee, Sungmin said "Kyu, what you did to our Medical Centre is really remarkable. Our job is much easier now and it also helps us to have accurate diagnosis based on up-to-date x-rays or MRI scan. Really a job well done". 

"Haha, thank you but credit must go to Dr Kim. He was the brainchild of all these. Without his feedback, I wouldn't have came up with the current system. And I am glad that you like it!" 

"So what's next? I mean you've upgraded our medical centre, and then the research lab, so did Dr Kim asked you to do something else?" 

"Yeah, join his team as full fledge doctor. But really, my interest is more on medical research. I really haven't make up my mind. But if I am at medical research, I have less time with you".

"Silly, pursue what you do best and what you are interested in. We can work out our relationship based on our schedules. Even if you are a doctor at the Medical Centre with me, we might be in different shift and might not even meet often. At least if you are at the Medical Research, I can go over and lunch with you". 

"Hmmm, I'll think about it. I want to see you as much as possible. I wish I can be your intern forever haha". 

"Kyu, isn't it good if we have different schedules? We work around it in order to meet, it will make our relationship stronger. When we missed each other and long for each other, it will make our heart more tender and seeing each other will be a bliss" 

"I don't know if I can do my work without seeing you for a day. And I really want to hug you and kiss you right now"

"Aiisssshhh Kyu, we are in the public" 

"Shall we go? Have you finish your coffee? "

"Yup, let's go. I go and settle the bill" 

"No, I'll settle it. I asked you out" Kyuhyun smile and dashed to the counter to beat Sungmin. 

Sungmin smile and waited for Kyuhyun outside the door. Though it was beginning of Autumn, the weather has turn cool and windy. Kyuhyun came out and pulled Sungmin's hand. Since the carpark was not crowded, Kyuhyun intertwined their fingers while walking to the car. It felt nice, they felt close and they felt attached. Sungmin never felt happy like this before. 

In the car, Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin and started kissing him, just lips smooching lips but full of tenderness. After a while he pulled back "I'm sorry, I didn't ask and I really don't know of we are going too fast.." 

Instead of answering, Sungmin pulled Kyuhyun and kiss him. Kyuhyun smile and deepened his kiss and poured all his feelings into it. He was happy that Sungmin accepted him and he felt like fireworks exploding everywhere. 

Suddenly Kyuhyun phone rang. When Sungmin tried to pull back, Kyuhyun pulled him closer, signalling that he wanted to ignore the ringing. The caller must have gave up because it stopped. 

Then, Sungmin's phone started ringing! He pulled back mumbling that the call must be important. Kyuhyun sighed and let go of Sungmin. Sungmin looked at the display and looked at Kyuhyun. "Hi Dr Kim. No, it's okay. Oh, Kyuhyun? Yeah he's with me. We went out to eat pizza, maybe he silence his phone, you hold on, I pass my phone to him" Sungmin was giggling silently while passing his phone to Kyuhyun. 

Kyuhyun roll his eyes and took the phone. "Hello Dr Kim, yes sorry I put my phone on a seat. No, it's ok, we just finished eating" Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin who was still giggling "Tomorrow 12noon? Yeah  it's fine, ok I see you at the lab. Yes sure. Good night" Kyuhyun turn on the camera on Sungmin's phone, pulled Sungmin closer, asked Sungmin to smile and snap a selfie together. He kissed Sungmin's cheek and check their picture. 

"Let me see, let me see" Sungmin tried to take his phone back. Kyuhyun was keying in something and send the image to his phone, and gave back the phone to Sungmin. Sungmin looked at his phone and "You change my home screen picture! But we looked good!" Sungmin was admiring their picture together. They both looked radiant and happy and if one look closer, or zoomed in on their mouth, both mouth were a bit swollen. But of course, only they know what caused the swelling! 

"Kyu, thank you for tonight. I don't know if I can sleep without thinking of you now, but the thought of seeing you tomorrow make me want the night to be over quickly" 

"And somebody said it's good to have different schedules and don't meet so often. Hmmm?" Kyuhyun teased Sungmin. 

"I mean, I don't want to restrict your career and..." 

"Let's take one step at a time. My internship will end in 2 month's time. By then, I would have decided something, and we see how things go, ok?" 

"Ok" Sungmin smile happily at him. 
"Let's go. We need to sleep" 

"Together??" Kyuhyun winked at him. 

"Are you crazy? We just became boyfriends today. One step at a time! ". 

"I know, I was just joking!" Kyuhyun laughed. 

Kyuhyun was so tempted to walk Sungmin to his door, but he didn't want other doctors, who stayed in the same apartment building as Sungmin, saw them and talked behind Sungmin's back. Sungmin understood, and they kissed briefly before bidding each other goodbye. 

That night, they slept 2 hours later than usual because they were on the phone talking to each other..