Prologue

Would U

The doors were being pushed open and in a frantic looking lady in her 20s with disheveled hair in messy bun. She was out of breath as she had ran all the way from where she was to this place after receiving a call from one of the officer. She walked a few steps, eyes scanning the room. The first thing she saw was a man, presumably drunk, was sleeping on a bench with one of his hands being cuffed on the armrest. Then she saw a police officer was sitting on a single chair with his head leaning against the wall, also sleeping. She turned and found another officer behind the counter was talking silently on the phone. On the wall behind him was a big board with organization chart on it. There was another board with wanted posters and lost pets pasted on it.

Her eyes roamed around until she found them, sitting side to side, their heads had already turned to her. She glared at their bruised and wounded faces. She let out a deep breath and approached them. "What is this," she asked, still catching her breath. Her chest moved up and down.

Both young men didn't dare to open their mouths and explain. They knew they were wrong and now they only troubled the lady in front of her something they hated doing. "I can't believe the two of you. Why are you two acting like children? You guys are adults and act like one!" she yelled at her last line which caught the officer behind her who had ended his conversation on the phone.

"Are you Miss Kang Seulgi?" the police officer asked. Seulgi sighed and glared at the two men before turning and approached the officer. She gave him the most genuine smile she could master when on the inside, she's burning with anger and humiliation.

She bowed to the officer and said, "Yes, I am. I'm sorry that these two had caused troubles and put you in a hard situation." The officer just nodded his head and said it was really nothing.

"But are you really their guardian? Aren't you too young?" he added, his face showed absolute confusion. Seulgi turned her head to see the men and they quickly put their heads down, avoiding from making an eye contact with her. She shook her head slightly and turned back to the officer.

"Yes, I am. Actually we are cousins. They came all the way from America and stayed at my house for a while. So that makes me their guardian, who takes care of their well-being," that's obviously a lie. Well, one of them did come from America but he had been living in Korea for five years now. While the other had grew and raised here and the only time he went to America was when he was on vacation. And they were so not cousins or anything related.  Seulgi was impressed with her lies and even more as the officer believed her words.

"No wonder the tall one speaks in funny accent," he muttered under his breath as he rummaged through his files. Seulgi smirked at the officer's words. The officer then slid a piece of paper in front of her and told her to sign.

After that, they were free to go.

 

 


-*-

 

 


"Thank you, you've worked hard, officer. I'm sorry these kids were troubling you," Seulgi said while bowing deeply. The officer brushed her off and told them to leave and adviced the two not doing the same thing again. Seulgi bowed again and left the police station. The two young men on her tail.

She walked faster to leave the police station as soon as possible. The two young men still followed her from behind. Once they're a few meters away from the police station, Seulgi slowed down a bit and sighed. She massaged her aching head. She tried not to ignore the tense atmosphere behind her made by the two.

"Why," she asked silently as she stopped walking. She's sure both of them still can hear her as the alley was as quiet as ever.

It was in the middle of the night. She was doing her assignment when she received a call from the police station saying that two young men had been arrested for fighting and causing ruckus in public. She left her house, wearing her pyjama pants and hoodie and ran as fast as her legs could take her to the police station.

"Why you do this. Aren't you two friends or something?" she asked again. She put her head down, waiting for them to answer her but none of them spoke any word.

They were quiet until one of the young men suddenly said, "Is it me or him?"

Seulgi looked up and turned slowly. "What?"
Both men were looking down at her with pained expression — either hurt due to the bruises or they were hurting mentally she didn't know. The same guy repeated what he said, "Me or him?"

Seulgi's face turned to utter confusion. "What kind of question is this?" she asked. Why did he ask such question? Did she really have to answer it? He must be joking.

But her thoughts was proven wrong as the other asked the same thing as well as if he could read her mind. "Between the two of us, me or him?"

Seulgi's eyebrows knitted together. She opened and closed as she lost for words. She didn't know how to answer it. Why was she being asked such question, she didn't like it.

.....But if she were to choose.... and these two were insisting to know...

"I..."

 

***

a/n: i don't even know. thank you for reading!