what would we do if we see each other again

twenty one

As soon as they bid farewell to Shinyoung and the other staff of the radio program, Chaeyoung stretches her hands in front of their manager and he sighs, knowing this familiar action very well as he begrudgingly drops the car keys into her waiting hands. She breaks into a dead sprint for their van, panting as she fumbles with the keys to unlock the van. She presses the right button, and the van beeps and she almost tears the door open in her hurry, rushing to her seat to get her laptop. She opens it, immediately opening the application for making music and starts to play out the rhythm that has been stuck in her head ever since Shinyoung stopped her just now right before they left.

 

“Chaeyoung-ssi, can I ask you a question?” Shinyoung asks and Chaeyoung nods earnestly. “What would you do if you suddenly meet the person who left you?”

 

She freezes in her spot, not knowing that Shinyoung is such a big fan of theirs. Although the band and her don’t really hide the fact that she writes songs because of a bad breakup, those were the days when they were still doing YouTube. Now that they are proper idols appearing on national TV, their company tells them to keep it hush, so it’s been long since she heard questions about her breakup. She rubs her nape. “Er… I haven’t really thought about it…”

 

And it hits her, the rhythm starting to ring in her head. Thankfully her manager begins to herd them out of the door, and she bows courteously to Shinyoung before she leaves.

 

Her members start to board the van, Jeongyeon shaking her head as she takes the seat in front of her. Dahyun slides into the seat beside her, already taking the other side of the earphones to listen to what Chaeyoung is working on. Nayeon picks up the car keys that Chaeyoung has thrown on the floor of the van in her haste and passes them to her manager.

 

“We have dance practice later Chaeng.” Nayeon reminds. They all know that when inspiration strikes, nothing can detach Chaeyoung away from her computer or the recording studio.

 

“Give me three hours.” Chaeyoung states without even looking at Nayeon as she nods and makes changes according to Dahyun’s suggestion. She has picked up the piano, but she’s still slow with it compared to the dubu who has played the piano for her whole life. That’s why Dahyun helps out with the song composition and production sometimes, like now.

 

“Take it easy, Chaeng.”Jihyo advises as she hops into the passenger seat. “Try not to get so much inspiration, we need to focus on our comeback first.”

 

Chaeyoung hums as she focuses on the song materializing on her computer. Everything else can wait.

 

--

 

Chaeyoung massages her neck as she makes her way to the dance studio. The song she is working on still has a lot to be done, but she promised three hours, so she keeps her promises and turns up for dance practice after three hours. Except the dance studio is pitch dark from the outside and she frowns. Turning on the lights, party poppers go off and she flinches as she sees her members standing in the middle of the room, beaming widely at her. Jihyo is holding the cake, and they are all donning party hats.

 

“Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to our lovely Chaengie, Happy birthday to you!” Her members chorused and Nayeon places a party hat on her. Jeongyeon hangs a large placard around her neck that screams, “IT’S MY BIRTHDAY TODAY!” and Dahyun puts her hands through the string of a helium balloon that screams the same exact thing as the placard around her neck. She stares at her friends bewilderedly, until she lifts her phone and checks the date. Oh right, it’s 23rd April. They are so busy running around like headless chickens for their comeback that she barely even knew the month they are in, not to mention the date.

 

She just stares at her members, looks at the presents her friends got her and glares at them (although she has to admit she feels thankful and warm that they still remember her birthday despite their hectic and insane schedules).

 

“Really guys?” Chaeyoung huffs at the embarrassing placard hang around her neck and the equally embarrassing helium balloon now attached to her wrist. “I’m 21 this year, not 12.”

 

“Yeah, so when are you going to grow out of your 12-year-old body?” Jeongyeon teases and Chaeyoung immediately sends a flying kick over to the older girl.

 

“Blow out the candles!” Jihyo urges her and she clasps her hands together, closing her eyes as she makes her wish. Nothing comes to mind, but she knows she shouldn’t take too long so she just wishes for the first thing that comes to mind. I wish, that I can see you again.

 

She blows it out, and immediately feels cream smeared on her face by Nayeon. That’s the trigger for the cream war, and even Jihyo did not manage to escape unscathed from this one.

 

--

 

Japan, Tokyo

“OH! It’s our maknae’s birthday today! I must go online and wish her a happy birthday!” Sana coos as she goes on her Twitter as Mina shakes her head as she starts the van. She really doesn’t understand Sana’s obsession with TM, a new and upcoming band in Korea. Sana goes on all day about how cute they are and how good the chemistry is between the members, but as a celebrity herself, Sana should know that all that is just a façade. After all, all that glitters isn’t gold (and Mina knows that exceptionally well from her stint in Korea).

 

“You are also a celebrity Sana, why are you so obsessed with that band?” She asks as she drives out of the carpark, the cheers from the fans immediately hitting them as Sana asks Mina to stop the car as she rolls down the window to wave to the fans.

 

“IT’S CHAEYOUNG’S BIRTHDAY TODAY!” A fan screams and Sana replies as enthusiastically, “I KNOW! I’M GOING TO WISH HER A HAPPY BIRTHDAY ON TWITTER LATER!”

 

“Get home safe y’all!” Sana tells her fans as Mina starts to drive off. The car is engulfed in silence as Sana is typing furiously on her phone, probably sending a tweet to wish the ‘Chaeyoung’ a happy birthday while Mina is gripping tightly on the steering wheel when she hears the name. Could it be??? No, it can’t be such a coincidence. There are probably thousands of Chaeyoung in Korea, that can’t be the Chaeyoung she knows. The Chaeyoung that reminds her of dimples, crooked teeth, hugs and kisses. Mina sneezes, bringing her attention back to the road.

 

“One of the girl in TM is called Chaeyoung?” Mina asks, but Sana knows why. Sana knows everything, and she deserves to know everything after all they have gone through. Sana nods and looks at Mina with sparkling eyes. “Do you want to see how she looks like?”

 

“No!” Mina huffs out a little too quickly. It’s probably not her Chaeyoung, but she doesn’t know what to do if it really is. She doesn’t know what to do if they meet again in the future, if they ever do.

 

“Running away isn’t going to solve your problems.” Sana says, attention on Mina now. “What are you going to do if you meet her again in the future?”

 

“I don't know… I broke her heart, Sana-chan. I don’t deserve her.” Mina mumbles as her knuckles turn white from her tight grip on the steering wheel. She yelps as Sana hits her on the head with her knuckle.

 

“And that is why you have to mend it back.” Sana chides like a mother. “I swear, if you don’t make things right the second time around I’m going to end you myself.”

 

Mina chuckles a little. “If I ever meet her again, that is.”

 

“If you guys are meant to be together, you will eventually find your way back into each other other’s arms no matter what.” Sana sounds so wise and unlike her usual demeanour. It’s times like this that Mina remembers that Sana is still older than her by 1 year although she can be the clumsiest person she has ever met.

 

“I hope so, Sana-chan.”

 

--

 

They sit around the dance studio, stomach going to burst from all the food they binged on in the past one hour. They really shouldn’t do that because they have their comeback stage tomorrow and all their faces are going to be bloated by then, but hey, if everyone is bloated, it's not as obvious (it’s all relative). Chaeyoung is on the verge of food coma, when Jeongyeon asks her a question. It takes her a few seconds for it to register in her coma-induced brain.

 

“Are you done with the song?”

 

“I’m done with the basic melody but I’m still missing lyrics for a few parts.” Chaeyoung mumbles as she sips on her gassed-out coke.

 

“What’s the inspiration this time?” Dahyun asks, eyes almost drooping close. “The piano melody sounds very melancholy.”

 

“Shinyoung-sunbaenim asked me what I would do if I saw her again.” Chaeyoung answers truthfully and the studio is suddenly enveloped in thick, awkward silence.

 

Jihyo sits up straight. “What will you do though, honestly?”

 

Chaeyoung shrugs, because she really has no answer for that. Would she be happy seeing Mina again? Most importantly, would Mina be happy? Would she still be smiling those gummy smiles of hers, revealing her silver tooth (even if they are no longer directed at her)? Chaeyoung’s not sure if she can handle it, but she still wants to see the girl, wants to know that she’s okay, wherever she is. She stands up and heads to the piano.

 

I suddenly miss you

Where could you be?

Are you happy or in pain?

I suddenly miss you

The sudden piercing recollections of you

The sudden blurring of my eyes

 

Why do you have to take me on the most unforgettable journey

And then leave the most painful souvenir?

 

I’m most afraid that after deciding to live this life without you

But suddenly hearing news about you again

 

Jihyo and Nayeon are on her immediately, engulfing her in a tight hug.

 

“I know what I’m going to do if you see her again,” Nayeon grits, “I’m going to kill her for making my daughter upset and heartbroken.”

 

Chaeyoung pulls away from the hug as she frowns at Nayeon. “When did I become your daughter?”

 

“Since 5 seconds ago. I have decided to adopt you, this talented but heartbroken little bean.” Nayeon coos as she pats Chaeyoung on the head.

 

“Have you asked for my permission?” Jihyo huffs as she loops her arms around Chaeyoung protectively. Jeongyeon and Dahyun shares a quick look before shifting closer to each other.

 

“We are here to sit for the 234th hearing for the custody of Son Chaeyoung between Park Jihyo and Im Nayeon.” Dahyun announces like a judge at a court hearing. “Both sides, you can argue your stand.”

 

“But based on previous records, Park Jihyo has won the past 233th hearings and I believe that this time there will be no difference.” Jeongyeon says like a football commentator.

 

Chaeyoung thinks her arms might actually get longer from the tugging from both Nayeon and Jihyo, but Dahyun and Jeongyeon are too busy commentating on the show in front of them to bother to save her. She knows they are just trying to cheer her up in their unique, dorky way and even though she might actually be pulled into pieces, she’s thankful, because that’s just how they always are, always messy, always childish, don’t have their together, but they are still happy, alive and happy and doing something they love together and that’s all that matters.

 

--

a/n: BOOOOOOOO it's chaeng's birthday but it's a fest for us hahaha

link of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVj6VO2oRqw

okay i'm really going off to battle finals (reality: proceeds to watch twice the whole day and lay in bed evaluating my choices at night), the next update will probably take a lil longer so stay with me!!