The First Meeting at the Forest

마법사와 왕자(The Sorceress and The Prince)

"I hope you like your room," Prince Jimin said with a smile to Irene. Seulgi noticed this and said, "Wangjanim, why are you staring?"

The prince just cleared his throat and went out of the room. Once no one was anymore near the room, Seulgi waved her hand and a gust of wind closed and locked the room's doors. 

"Unnie," Seulgi said as she watch Irene wave her hands so that her clothes and other stuff will go to their respective place, "How come the Emperor wants you near, or inside even, the Palace?"

"No idea," Irene answered, "He told me though that he will tell me today."

Someone then knocked at the door. "Nuguseyo?" Seulgi said.

"It's me Seulgi-yang," a soft woman's voice replied.

Seulgi then hurriedly opened the door. "Unnie! What are you doing here? You are supposed to rest," Seulgi said as she held the hands of the woman at the door. Irene noticed her at once so she stood up to greet her.

"Annyeonghashiminikka, Kang-gunbuin," Irene said formally.

"Please call me just Lady Soyou," Seulgi's sister said with a smile. "Seulgi told me that you had to stay with us for a couple of days?"

"Ne, mama," Irene answered. 

Lady Soyou went inside the room, held Irene's hand and said, "Prince Jimin does not like it if a member of the family is too formal. He did not even have his own sage name but he asked me instead to have it."

Irene smiled politely and bowed. Prince Jimin was then seen at the door. 

"Wangjanim," the three girls greeted. 

"The Emperor orders an audience all the households of the princes. Meet me at the door, I am just going to fetch Yoojung," Prince Jimin said before he walked away.

 

"The Palace is nice," Prince Bogum said as he walked around the Palace walls. 

"You know," Taehyung said, "You should go and formally greet the Emperor."

"No need for that," a strong voice said behind them. The two men turned and saw the Emperor of Goryeo. 

"Pyeha," Taehyung said as he knelt down.

The Emperor said, "You have been a very good friend to my son, V-hakja (Scholar V). I thank you for that."

"왕실에 봉사하는 것이 나의 의무입니다. (It is my duty to serve the royal family.) Besides, Bogum-wangjanim is a very good friend, regardless of what other people say about him," Taehyung answered.

All that time, Bogum was just standing, stunned. He became more surprised when the Emperor called him 'my son'. 

The Emperor chuckled and said, "Won't you even hug your own 아비 (father)?" 

Prince Bogum instead knelt down, but the Emperor caught him and hugged him. "Mianhe, uri adeul. (I'm sorry, my son.) I was not able to protect you from your own mother."

Bogum hugged back, but still surprised by the situation. After a few seconds, Bogum slightly pushed away his father and said, "나는 당신 앞에서있을 수있는 축복을 받았습니다, 폐하. (I am blessed to be in your presence, Your Majesty)."

The Emperor smiled and said, "I want you to go later. I called all the princes. Jin would be happy to see you. I want you first to stay with Jin."

Bogum asked, "Why?"

"I want you to help Jin," the Emperor said.

Bogum suddenly took a step back and said, "Help Jin? What help does he need? Isn't Jin your beloved son and the crowned prince?"

"He has no support against the other families...Against your mother," the Emperor said.

"So you want me to be his puppy?" Bogum asked.

Taehyung was surprised by Bogum's words to his father, but not the Emperor. He knew his son; the time away from him made Bogum like that. The Emperor took a deep breath and looked at the Palace grounds. At that time, the households of the five princes were walEmperor towards the throne room. The Emperor then said, "You are also my beloved son. Not only a son because you were born as my son, but because I love you. You and your brother Jin. Support Jin and I can give you whatever you like."

Bogum chuckled and said, "I do not want to return back to that place where you exiled me. Let me stay at the Palace. I will be willing to be the wild dog of the Crowned Prince."

 

A eunuch was waiting in front of the throne room for the princes and their household. Crowned Prince Jin and his household was the one who crossed the gates of the Emperor's quarters first. 

"Namjoon-sangseon," the Crowned Prince greeted.

"Jin-jeongyoonnim," the Head Eunuch bowed and greeted back. 

"How come with the whole household?" Crowned Prince Jin asked.

The Head Eunuch just smiled and said, "The Emperor has his own reason. Please enter."

The Crowned Prince smiled warmly and passed by the Head Eunuch. Next was the household of Empress Kahi and his sons, Prince Suga and Prince J-Hope. Namjoon-sangseon sighed; if not for the Empress's greediness, Prince Bogum would be there, the Head Eunuch thought.

"Annyeohashiminikka, Kahi-Hwangho (Empress Kahi)," the Head Eunuch greeted warmly.

"RapMon-sangseon" Empress Kahi greeted with a smile, "Isn't it a good day? The Emperor starting his day by seeing his sons?"

"물론이죠! (Of course!)" the Head Eunuch replied. 

The Empress smiled again and passed by the Head Eunuch. Prince Suga just nodded curtly to the Head Eunuch. Prince J-Hope greeted the Head Eunuch and said, "Namjoon-sangseon! When will we go to your workshop again?"

The Head Eunuch smiled at the young prince and said, "Anytime that you are free, wangjanim."

Prince J-Hope smiled and quickly followed after his mother and brother. Afterwards, Empress Boa and her children, Prince Jimin, Prince Jungkook and Princess Yoojung. In this entourage is where Irene and Seulgi are as well. 

"Annyeonghashiminikka, Boa-Hwangho," the Head Eunuch greeted. 

Empress Boa was much warmer and more sincere in her smile. "Good morning, RapMon-sangseon. I hope the Emperor had a good rest."

The Head Eunuch replied and said, "He sure did. Thank you for thinking always of our Emperor."

"Annyeong, sangseon," Prince Jungkook greeted.

"Greet him formally," Princess Yoojung said, "Annyeonghashimikka, RapMon-sangseon."

"Annyeonghaseyo, sangseon. I hope you are doing well," Prince Jimin greeted.

The Head Eunuch just chuckled and bowed back. "Lady Soyou, how are you? Also you, Lady Seulgi?"

"We are fine," Lady Soyou answered, "Thank you for looEmperor after the Emperor and the Princes."

The Head Eunuch looked at Irene, and just smiled a little. I hope whatever the Emperor is thinking, you can help him, Sorceress, the Head Eunuch thought.

Irene just nodded, as if to reply to the Head Eunuch's thoughts. 

The Empress then gestured for their entourage to move. The Head Eunuch then stepped aside to let the entourage in. 

"How about that Prince?" the Head Eunuch asked himself as he looked at the wall post where Prince Bogum is. 

 

"The Emperor is entering!" RapMon-sangseon announced as the Emperor entered and sat on his throne. The Empresses sat beside the Emperor as each Prince and their household lined up behind them.

"I called you here because I need you to be in caution," the Emperor said.

"In caution of what, Pyeha?" Crowned Prince Jin asked.

"Of me," Prince Bogum suddenly announced as he entered the throne room, making Empress Kahi stand up.

"Neo...(You..)," Empress Kahi said.

"나는 당신 앞에서있을 수있는 축복을 받았습니다, 폐하. (I am blessed to be in your presence, Your Majesty)." Prince Bogum said.

"Not of Prince Bogum," the Emperor said, "But I am officially welcoming Prince Bogum into the Palace. He will stay with the Crowned Prince for the meantime. I mean of the people outside the Palace. There are uprising that will start."

"What do you mean, Pyeha? How can they go against you?" Prince Suga asked.

"Be cautious. There are people who would want to steal the throne. If that happens, all of us will loose everything that we worked for," the Emperor said, "Do you want that to happen?"

"Ani-imnida, Pyeha," all the Princes answered. 

 

At Damiwon, the place Seunghwan, Suyoung and Yerim were singing to entertain their fellow court ladies. 

"Who told you can just sing and not work?" Prince Suga suddenly said. He and the other Princes (except the Crowned Prince) were there right after the Emperor called them and their households. 

"Joesonghamnida, wangjanim," the three and the other court ladies said. 

"Hyungim, don't be mad at them. Their voices were good," Prince Jungkook said as he winked at Suyoung. 

"Wangjanimdeul," Madame Kim Hyoeyon, Head Court Lady of Damiwon Palace, intervened and said, "My ladies are just practicing. Would you need anything?"

Prince Suga snickered and said, "You and your Lady. Kim-sanggung (Head Court Lady Kim). Do your job well. Anyway, we'll go to the usual place."

The cout ladies made way for the princes. Prince Jungkook remained and said, "Joesonghamnida, sanggung. Hyungnim's head has been hot since we left the throne room."

"Gwaenchana," Madame Kim smiled to the Prince as she answered. "Follow your brothers now."

The prince bowed to the Head Court Lady, winked at Sunyoung and left. Madame Kim then said to the three court ladies who were singing, "Go now. She called you,"

Seunghwan, Suyoung, and Yerim then stood up, bowed to Madame Kim and left. 

 

The Emperor was sitting on his throne with his eyes closed. Did I make the correct decision? Will Bogum really help Jin and not be the reason for his demise? The Emperor thought. 

All of a sudden, five daggers were flying towards the Emperor. The Emperor raised his hands and used an invisible force to stop the daggers flying towards him. 

"Irene, you do know you will be charged with treason when you kill me," the Emperor said while chuckling.

After a bright flash of light, Irene appeared the clothes that she had when she appeared with the household of Prince Jin. She smiled and said, "You have not forgotten what I have taught you."

The Emperor said, "Though I'm getting old, you cannot deny that."

"Age is just a number," Irene as she waved her hands, making the daggers disappear. Irene continued, "I still do not understand; all the monarchs of Goguryeo, Baekje, Silla, and United Silla wanted me out of the Palace. You're the only one who want me here. Even your ancestor Taejo Wang Geon wanted me out of politics."

The Emperor said, "Because they are not the target of the foreboding misfortune of this land."

"What do you mean?" Irene asked. 

A strong gust of wind suddenly went inside the throne room. At the door, gusts of wind, jets of fire and water, and a pile of rocks started to swirl. After another second, Seulgi, Yeri, Wendy and Joy appeared. 

"Pyeha," the four greeted. "나는 당신 앞에서있을 수있는 축복을 받았습니다, 폐하. (I am blessed to be in your presence, Your Majesty)."

The Emperor smiled and said, "I am thankful that you choose to keep the powers of the jewels of Damdeok."

Irene then said with conviction, "Tell me your plan."

 

"Isn't he scary?" Prince J-Hope asked his brothers.

"Who?" Prince Suga asked. "Bogum? Ha. He's nothing but rumors."

Prince Jungkook said, "You can never tell. He did not grow here."

"Who can teach him martial arts outside the Palace?" Prince Suga asked.

"Anybody can learn that," Prince Jimin commented.

Prince Suga looked at Prince Jimin and said, "Really? So you can actually learn?"

"Ja, ja, ja," Prince Jungkook said, sensing the tension between the two older princes.

"No need to fight," RapMon-sangseon said as he entered the room where the princes are. "Everyone is capable of learning, Suga-wangjanim," the Head Eunuch added.

Prince Suga just smirked, though Prince Jimin just sighed. All of a sudden, Prince Bogum passed by the room where the princes are. 

"Annyeonghashiminikka, Bogum-wangjanim," RapMon-sangseon greeted. "Also to you, V-hakja."

"Annyeonghashiminikka, sangseon," Scholar V greeted back. 

Bogum, however, scanned his brothers, turned his head, and walked away.

Prince J-Hope and Prince Jungkook took deep breaths. "I thought I was dead," Prince J-Hope said. 

 

Irene was inside the library of the household of Prince Jimin. She was scanning and comparing the time before and the time now. 

"Sometimes, this curse is not a curse at all," Irene said to herself. 

As she turned back, she got surprised for she was face-to-face with Prince Jimin. 

"Curse?" Prince Jimin asked.

Surprised, Irene held the prince by his neck. After a second of realization, Irene released the prince and said, "Joesonghamnida, wangjanim."

"Joohyun-ah," Prince Jimin said, moving closer to Irene's face, "I know you're hiding something."

Irene looked at Prince Jimin's eyes. Never in her life that someone looked at her that way. Irene's heart was pumping fast, she was nervous. 

"A...Ani-imnida, wangjanim," Irene said, finally looEmperor away from the gaze of the prince. 

Prince Jimin chuckled and said, "You're cute when you are surprised."

Irene, now realizing she is blushing walked away from the prince and out of the room. 

"She is definitely cute," Prince Jimin said, not knowing that Lady Soyou was listening on the other side. 

 

Red Velvet were hovering on treetops, doing their usual patrols at the forest of Hanyang (modern-day Seoul). However, Seulgi noticed that Irene was distracted, 

"Unnie, gwaenchanayo?" Seulgi asked Irene. 

"Oh? Ah..Eo, I'm okay," Irene said.

Yeri commented, "You're not okay, unnie. We should stop."

Irene nodded and they dropped down on an open area. "Mianhe," Irene said, "Something that happened is still lingering in my mind and I'm irritated because of it."

"Is it what the Emperor said, unnie?" Joy said, hinting that she is also worried by what the Emperor had told them. 

Irene shook her head. She said, "I was wondering about the library at Seulgi's place when Prince Jimin saw me...And looked at me so close."

Joy, Wendy, and Yeri looked at each other for one second before closing in at Irene. "Unnie, do you like Jimin-wangjanim?" the three asked in chorus.

Seulgi was just looEmperor at the scenario, shock evident in her face. Irene mightily shook her head and shouted, "Aniya! I'm too old for him!"

"Unnie," Joy said, "Age is not a problem here. You have been around for so long, and I am surprised no one asked your for marriage."

All of a sudden lightning struck and thunder rolled. "Unnie!" the three girls exclaimed, knowing that the thunder and lightning was caused by Irene. 

Irene said sternly, "I was cursed. You think I have time for love?"

Seulgi said, "You should." Afterward, Seulgi flew off.

"What's with her?" Wendy asked and chased after Seulgi. 

Irene, Joy, and Yeri flew to chase Seulgi as well. 

 

"Hyung!" Taehyung was chasing after Bogum, who is planning to leave the Palace. 

"Since when did you stop me from leaving at night?" Bogum, starting to be annoyed by Taehyung. 

Taehyung raised his hand and held Bogum by an invisible force. "Since your father, through RapMon-sangseon asked me to be your personal bodyguard and tutor until you fully accepted to go to Jin-jeongyoonnim's place," Taehyung said in a serious voice, something that Bogum rarely hears. However, Bogum has already decided on what to do.

"Sorry for doing this, Taehyung," Bogum said as a wave of fire went out of Bogum's body, releasing him and knocking Taehyung down to the ground. Bogum then jumped over the Palace wall. 

"Aish," Taehyung said, "How the hell will I follow him?"

Light suddenly flashed at the back of Taehyung. When Taehyung turned around, it was RapMon-sangseon.

"Let him be," the Head Eunuch said, "the Emperor is actually allowing him to go in and out of the Palace."

"Which makes my job very difficult," Taehyung said with a sigh as he bowed towards the Head Eunuch and disappeared out of thin air. RapMon-sangseon looked back at the direction where the Emperor was actually watching Prince Bogum go over the Palace walls. 

 

Bogum went into the forest and started to practice his power of fire. Taehyung, although much younger than him, was the one who helped him develop his powers. According to Taehyung, only the Emperor, Crowned Prince Jin, Prince Suga and him had powers inherited from their ancestors. However, having powers still does not make Bogum believe in supernatural beings...

"Hey, what will we say to the boss?" Bogum heard as he saw two figures running deeper into the forest. 

As Bogum followed he continued to listen to their conversation:

"We say that the magic surrounding the Palace became stronger; it even caused us to lose our teleportation power," one of the walking men said.

"How come? The magic of the Palace was not this strong before," the other said. 

"Is the Sorceress siding with the humans already?" the first man asked.

"She cannot; she is bound to be the balance, right? She cannot side with anyone," the second man said as they both disappeared. 

"Huh?" Bogum said as, all of a sudden, he out. 

 

Bogum woke up and noticed that he was tied up to a tree. He was surrounded by men who looked normal.

"Well, well, if it isn't the Dark Prince Bogum," one the men who were wearing a hat said. Bogum recognized the guy as one of the secretaries inside the Palace.

"Seeing your reaction, you recognize me, wangjanim," the secretary said, 'So we will have to kill you. But not yet...I need to know whether your father knows about the Prophecy."

"What the hell are you talEmperor about?! 나를 놔줘! (Release me!)" Bogum said.

"Wrong answer," the secretary said as he disappeared and reappeared in front of Bogum. He put his hand on top of Bogum's forehead. Bogum then felt great pain inside his body.

"Ahhh!!!" Bogum screamed. 

All of a sudden, bright flashed at them. The men were startled and stepped back. The secretary also removed his hand on Bogum's forehead. When they looked at the source of the light, they were all surprised to see a girl in a long cloak, the color seemed to be violet in the dim moonlight. 

"Release the prince," the girl said in a soft but stern voice. 

The Palace secretary walked towards her and said, "So we meet, Sorceress. I do hope you realize that this is the last day you will see life."

Bogum looked at the girl and said to himself, "I think I saw her somewhere before." 

Irene then drew her sword and aimed it at the Palace secretary. "I'm giving you a chance; rescue your friends at the hands of the other Red Velvet members. If you go there now to the two towns you simultaneously attacked, thinking that we'll not discover your plan of going inside the palace, you will be safe. If not..."

Almost every men there vanished except for two others. "Cowards," the Palace secretary blurted out.

Irene suddenly struck her sword into the ground, releasing a pressure wave that knocked out the three remaining men. At the same time, Bogum's ropes were cut.

"Leave," Irene ordered. 

However, Bogum did not listen and tried to strike the Palace secretary using a sword Bogum summoned by fire. However, the Palace secretary disappeared and then reappeared behind Bogum. The Prince, with his quick reflexes, turned around quickly and blasted the secretary with fire. The secretary, at the same second, blasted the Prince with an invisible force. 

Irene shook her head and said with her thought Listen Prince Bogum, you have to leave. If you kill this goblin right now, you'll be the cause of one war your father is actually trying to avoid.

Bogum looked around to see who was breaking his concentration and speaking to him. He saw Irene (but still not recognizing who she was) and Irene nodded her head. It's me who is breaking your concentration, pabo. Do as I say, or you'll end up being the reason of war. 

What war? Bogum tried to think to answer.

Do as I say, and I will tell you Irene replied.

Bogum was irritated, but he cannot keep on the fire blast so he nodded. Irene then flew towards Bogum and pushed Bogum's back. In an instant, the fire blast from Bogum became so strong that it knocked out the secretary once again. 

Go back to the palace and meet me at the gates of Crowned Prince Jin Irene said. 

Bogum nodded and started to run. Irene then remembered a part of what the Emperor told her and the rest of Red Velvet this morning...

 

~Flashback~

"What?" Irene said in shock. "I thought Prince Jin--"

"I'm not asking you to look after Bogum because he is next for the throne besides Jin," the Emperor said. He continued, "Bogum is the only prince, apart from Jin, who has knowledge of the underworld and the mystical powers of Goryeo, though I am sure Princess Yoojung and Prince Suga already know due to their mother. I want Bogum to be familiar with the underworld so he can help Jin be the next great Emperor of Goryeo."