02.

L’amour est la poésie des sens

1999. Korea.

Jaehwan cowered in the dark corner of his bedroom. He covered his ears and squinted his eyes shut. The voices and images were showing all at once and there was nothing Jaehwan could do to stop it. He cried helplessly asking for it to stop. He was too preoccupied to notice that his grandfather come in.

 

“Jaehwan?” his grandfather slowly approached him. He frowned slightly at Jaehwan’s shaking figure. He crouched down and called him once again. But to his avail, Jaehwan remained his eyes shut. His grandfather sat in front of him and began telling a story. “There was this man, he was a farmer. He had a loving wife, children, and a dog.”

 

Jaehwan sniffed. His eyes shut but his ears listened.

 

“He didn’t have everything but he loved everything he had.  The gods favored him but it was his destiny to die young. And so, the farmer died. For some reason, the grim reaper pitied him. By the time the grim reaper arrived to take his soul, he asked the farmer. ‘do you have any last words?’ the farmer replied. ‘I only regret that I won’t see my children grow and my wife....’” His grandfather said. “The grim reaper, feeling remorseful, granted the farmer a wish.”

 

His grandfather looked up and saw Jaehwan slowly warming up to him. He opened his eyes, still wet with tears, and sniffed. “What happened next, papa?”

 

“He was granted the gift of sight. He was reborn to a new life and watch his family.” Jaehwan’s grandfather daubed the tip of Jaehwan’s nose. “His gift is much like yours, Jyannie.”

 

“What do you mean?” He sniffed.

 

“The voices you hear and the images you see.” He said. “Don’t ever think of it as something scary. Our ancestors were given a gift by the gods. Cherish it well. I too have it.”

 

“You do?” Jaehwan’s eyes widened in disbelief. He thought he was all alone. His grandfather winked and smiled, “I’ll tell you all about it, so how about we go out of this cramped room and buy some snacks?”

 


Present.

 

Jaehwan sighed lifelessly as he watered the plants at his garden house. He stared at the plants as he reminisced the events that unfolded last week. Reunion with his childhood friend slash past life brother, Lee Hongbin. Losing money thanks to their big appetite for food. The surprising news of Hongbin’s marriage. Him becoming his best man. And meeting Nari.

 

“Nari.” Jaehwan whispered, trying out to speak her name. His thoughts wavered when he heard a knock on the glass. He turned and saw his friend and neighbor smiling like an idiot outside. He lifted his elephant-shaped watering pot and walked out of the garden house to meet his friend. “What brings you here Wonsik?”

 

Wonsik was Jaehwan’s neighbor across the street and owns a music store filled with vintage records and new ones. Sometimes Jaehwan comes by his store to buy or listen, depends on the weather. Wonsik lifted his hand holding a wallet and smiled. “I went to the café to buy some bread and thought you might want one.”

 

“I’m not hungry but thanks.” Jaehwan decline the offer and pulled out his notebook, handing it to Wonsik. “Return it to me by morning. If you don’t catch me tomorrow morning, just leave it at my shop.”

 

Wonsik smiled, “Okay but still take this cheesecake.” He exchanged the paper bag he held with the notebook from Jaehwan’s hands and walked off as he bid adieu. Jaehwan stared at the paper bag and scowled. “He never learns.”

 

Jaehwan was about to return inside the garden house when he felt his phone vibrate. He pulled it out and saw a text message from Hongbin. “Day one of best man it is.”

 


 

Right after he received Hongbin’s text message, he went straight to his friend’s flat. Jaehwan thought that it was just his friend being paranoid and it was nothing to worry about. He thought that his friend was just seeking advice from an older friend, surely Jaehwan can give tips on some trivial matters. He thought that it was just a quick talk and he won’t see Nari since he knows how awkward it is. He didn’t know why Hongbin chose him to do this extreme favor.

 

“What?” Jaehwan didn’t understand what was happening and asked Hongbin again. “Can you say that again?”

 

Hongbin apologized and clapped his hands together, “Please watch Nari for me while I’m gone.” Jaehwan crossed his arms, uneased with the situation he was put it. He didn’t want to be rude to his friend and decline but he also didn’t want to be involved with Nari. She means bad news…I can feel it. Jaehwan’s thoughts were interrupted with Hongbin explaining the reason. “The company is asking me to come back tomorrow, ASAP. There is a potential partner in business. My boss is forcing me to be present with him when they meet the potential business partner. I tried saying no, but they just won’t leave me alone.”

 

“What did Nari say about this?” Jaehwan wondered. “Isn’t she angry? There is a possibility she’ll lash out on me. You better do something about that if she does it. You know I hate women with a bad temper. I can’t stand them…I mean, I know I have a temper but I don’t show it. But still—“

 

Hongbin chuckled at how paranoid his friend was and lightly punched his chest. “Dude. You’re acting like a nagging mother. I talked with Nari about this and she was of course disappointed but she was cool with it.” He then cleared his throat and pleaded. “And that’s why I’m asking you to please keep her company while I’m gone.”

 

“How long will you be away exactly?”

 


 

“How long will you be gone, my dear?” Nari asked as she helped in dressing Jaehwan. Her hands gently smoothing the fabric of his durumagi. Her eyes avoiding her husband’s gaze that has been staring at her for so long. Jaehwan leaned in and pressed his soft lips on her temple. “Not long, my love.”

 

Nari blushed and buried her face on Jaehwan’s chest. She smiled, the warmth and familiar scent of her husband comforted her. Jaehwan chuckled, delighted to see Nari’s expression and wrapped his arms around her, pulling Nari close.  “There’s a possibility that my brother and I are going to pass a market. Does my wife want something?”

 

Nari shook her head and embraced Jaehwan in return. “Just be safe on the way home.”

 

Loud footsteps approached. The two separated from each other and opened the door to find Jaehwan’s brother standing outside. Jaehwan instinctively placed his arm around his wife’s waist and smiled. “Hello brother, what brings you here?”

Hongbin smiled and greeted the couple accordingly. “Forgive me for intruding but father seeks for our presence.”

 


Jaehwan stood a few meters away from the couple who were having a talk. He sighed, frustrated in seeing a memory of his past life—in particular, a distinct memory with Nari. Jaehwan hated it. He felt like he was cheating his best friend. He could feel how his past-self felt with her. He was happy. She too. Ahh, don’t think like that Jaehwan. That was past you. Not you today. There’s something else for you. You’re sure of it. STOP THINKING. Pissed, he pulled out a green notebook and distracted himself with writing the names and information of random strangers’ past lives.

 

“Hyung!”

 

Jaehwan looked up and apologized for being too preoccupied. He approached the couple and smiled like nothing was happening. Hongbin’s hand was holding Nari’s, and for some reason Jaehwan felt a stir. Hongbin smiled and thanked his friend one last time. He turned to Nari and leaned in, giving a quick kiss on the lips which resulted to a blushing Nari. “I’ll call you when I get there.”

 

“Okay.” Nari smiled, squeezing Hongbin’s hand before he goes. She pulled him in for a quick embrace and pressed her lips on his cheek. “You be safe. I’ll spend some time with Jaehwan-ssi.”

 

“Please, take out the honorifics. Hearing hyung is enough.” Jaehwan kidded. Nari apologized and repeated the sentence. “I’ll spend some time with Jaehwan.” She glanced at Jaehwan, waiting for an approval. Jaehwan raised a thumb up and told her it was perfect. Nari smiled and turned to Hongbin. Whatever she was telling Hongbin, Jaehwan couldn’t hear it at all. The stir he was feeling only became stronger.

 


Hongbin and Jaehwan were walking to their father’s quarters when Hongbin asked his older brother a random question. “What made you know that she is the one, brother?”

 

Jaehwan looked down, smiling. He vividly remembered the day he and Nari met. “The moment I made her smile.”

 


 

“I’ll be back soon.” Hongbin said to both. Jaehwan blinked and apologized for spacing out. Hongbin laughed and reasoned that Jaehwan always spaces out and he was used to it. They followed him to his terminal and watched him go. Nari and Jaehwan stood by each other and waved goodbye to the person dearest to them. Once Hongbin was out of sight, Nari turned to Jaehwan and tried conversing with him.

 

“So…” she mumbled. “I believe I haven’t introduced myself properly.”

 

“Well, you quickly ran off to your room.” Jaehwan commented. Nari apologized and has that weird habit when it comes to first meetings. Jaehwan watched Nari clear and smiled, extending her hand to him. “It’s nice to finally engage a normal…conversation with you, Jaehwan-s—“

 

Jaehwan squinted his eyes, waiting for Nari to say it but she immediately detected it and apologized once again. She laughed, flustered with her error. “—Jaehwan. I meant to say Jaehwan.”

 

“Good. I would throw a fit if you were to say -ssi or oppa.” Jaehwan said.

 

“Is Jaehwan fine?” Jaehwan nodded. He then asked what does Nari want to be called. Nari smiled. “Just Nari is fine with me.”

 

“Alright. Just Nari.” Jaehwan joked. He could feel it again. That weird stirring feeling.

 

 

 

I have to push this away.

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.

.

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE AND UPVOTE!