01.

L’amour est la poésie des sens

1944. England. Soldier. Died in the War.

1811. Korea. Writer. Died peacefully.

1604. Spain. Commoner. Died alone.

 

Lee Jaehwan scribbled the notes on his small blue notebook as he watched random strangers pass him by. Each person he sees, he juts down specific notes about them. To be exact, their past lives. Jaehwan had an unusual gift that not many possess. He could see people’s past lives, including him. He thought he was crazy at first but now his so called ‘curse’ was nothing but a ‘gift’ or to be literal, a leisure of his.

 

2001. US. Doctor. Died in surgery.

1987. Japan. Housewife. Died in accident.

 

“Sorry I kept you waiting.”

 

Jaehwan lifted his head and smiled seeing a familiar face in front of him. 1101. Korea.


 

Jaehwan sat comfortably in the garden.

Next to him was a man with the same face. Unlike Jaehwan, the man wore simpler clothes.

Jaehwan called out the man’s name.

“What is it brother?”

 


 

Jaehwan closed his notebook and kept it inside his coat pocket. He stood from the bench and pulled the man into a friendly embrace. “Ah! It’s so good to see you again, Hongbin.” Hongbin chuckled and greeted his friend as well. “It’s been too long, hyung.” Hongbin patted his childhood friend on the shoulder and asked how we has been for the past decade.

 

“Normal.” Jaehwan shrugged nonchalantly. “Korea’s doing nothing but good things to me. How about you? How’s living in London?”

 

“Ah. It was hard at first but now I get to enjoy life over there.” Hongbin crossed his arms.

 

Jaehwan smiled in approval. “It’s nice to hear that. How about I treat you for some meat?” he offered. Once Hongbin heard the word, meat, it was nothing but music to the younger one’s ear. He grinned and took the offer immediately.

 


 

The two went to the nearest restaurant and ordered everything that Hongbin was craving for.  The man has been gone for so long for Christ’s sake. For a minute Jaehwan regretted saying that he will treat him but then again, he thought of it as a gift for his friend. He has been affiliated with this man for centuries. He didn’t know why but it seemed that he and Hongbin were brothers in their past lives. Hongbin was his younger brother and much like in the past, he was a very naughty boy. Jaehwan had to keep an eye on him all the time.

 

“So how long are you going to stay here?” Jaehwan asked while he scribbled on his blue notebook, putting the names and information of the employees’ past lives.

 

Hongbin counted the days with his fingers, “Hm…one…two… I’ll be staying here for three months.”

 

“Great. You get to see the changes that happened here.” Jaehwan said, leaning back on his chair. “Are you staying over at Auntie’s house?”

 

Hongbin shook and evaded the question by starting another topic. “Why is the food taking so long? I know this place is really fast when it comes to service.”


Jaehwan scowled. Hongbin was obviously avoiding it. He’s hiding something from me. “So where are you staying?”

 

“A place near here. Don’t worry.” Hongbin answered; but Jaehwan was persistent and asked where exactly. “Near here.”

 

“Lee Hongbin.” Jaehwan sighed and crossed his arms. He stared into his friend’s almond shaped eyes and waited for his response. “Why do I have a hint that Auntie has no idea, you are here.”

 

“She knows.”

 

“You are hiding something.” Jaehwan guessed. “Are debt collectors looking for you?”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Are you running away from life? Have you become an alcoholic?”

 

“No.”

 

“Druggie?”

 

“No. I don’t like that.”

 

“Are you a fugitive?”

 

“What no!” Hongbin laughed seeing how Jaehwan was easily caught up with his secret. He knew that Jaehwan would sense that he was hiding something but Hongbin didn’t know that he could catch up this fast.“Okay. Fine.” Hongbin raised his hands in defeat. “I was supposed to surprise you but I guess surprises really don’t work for you.” Jaehwan was at loss.

 

“Huh?” Jaehwan wondered what Hongbin was up to.

 

“I’m getting married.”

 


 

“What did you say brother?”

 

Jaehwan smiled in delight. “I said I’m getting married, my dearest little brother.”

 

Hongbin patted his older brother as he congratulated him full heartedly. “I am delighted. It’s great to finally see you be with the woman of your dreams.”

 

Jaehwan chuckled. “I never imagined this time would come. I thought I wouldn’t find love.”

 

“We both thought that we will be married off to women we don’t love.” Hongbin laughed it off. He turned to his brother and smiled earnestly. He was truly happy for his brother. “I hope someday I too will find a love of my own.”

 

“Surely you will.” Jaehwan assured his little brother.

 


 

Hongbin and Jaehwan stood inside the moving elevator. Hongbin turned to Jaehwan and asked him for the nth time if he was really okay with it. “I’m asking you again for the last time, are you really sure, hyung?”

 

Jaehwan nodded. “And I am answering for the nth time, I’m fine with being your best man…just let me meet her, okay?”

 

The elevator door opened and the two got out walking to Hongbin’s flat. “Okay, she’s quite shy around people but once you two get to know each other, she’ll be really fun to hang with.”

 

“Do you think I’m lacking social skills?” Jaehwan asked in disbelief. He pressed on his chest and pretended to hurt. “That hurts. From what I remember I am more sociable than you.”

 

“Yeah, yeah. Whatever.” Hongbin and Jaehwan stopped in front of the door to his flat. He pulled out his keys. Suddenly, the door slightly opened. Hongbin looked up and saw her peeking. “Hongbin?” A feminine voice called out.

 

Hongbin scooted closer to the door and peeked as well. He chuckled seeing his fiancée. “Hey, I brought along Jaehwan-hyung with me. Remember the one I’ve been telling you about?”

 

The door opened wide, Jaehwan getting a full view of the person inside. She smiled shyly and bowed. She had long wavy lock of raven hair, and fair skin. It was definitely Hongbin's type but there was something about her that Jaehwan can't seem to place. “Hello.”

 

"As long as I live, I will be with you dear." That voice, Jaehwan thought.

 

"Hongbin has told me much about you. It's nice to meet you. I'm Nari." 

 

 

1101. Korea.

 

 

 

My love.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO SUBSCRIBE, COMMENT AND UPVOTE^^