We meet again

Lee Jong Suk in YG

"So…"

 

"What?"

 

"Since when did you join YG? And of all agencies, why YG?"

 

He released a sigh, hand supporting his head, as he watched his friend with a resigned expression. They've been having the same conversation for months now since the time he casually mentioned his expiring contract with Imagine Asia. A month before his contract expired, he called Woo-bin and his girlfriend Min-a for a night-out. The couple had no scheduled outing so they met the worried Jong Suk and sympathized with his dilemma. Artists and Idols face the same threat as their contract with the agency that managed their careers are about to end. Min-a-noona tried her best to console him but Woo-bin just scoffed at his incessant worrying, repeatedly smacking Jong Suk's head for thinking that his career would end abruptly.

 

As if Korea would forget someone of Jong Suk's caliber when he leaves his agency.  

 

Woo-bin was just being a good friend, he explained to himself, as he listened to his best friend firing so many questions that made no sense to him.

 

"But how did you even get YG to look at you? You're just—you.”

 

Yah!

 

“And now you’ll be friends with Cha Seung-won-ssi! You know perfectly well that he’s one of my idols! Argh! Why are you so lucky? Why, I’m more handsome than you are and Yang Hyun-Suk noticed you— “

 

Jong Suk knew Woo-bin for three years and he had a feeling that their friendship would continue to grow. As to how far that friendship would grow, he had no idea. Woo-bin used to be a shy guy, barely saying a word whenever he approached the guy. Jong Suk would have left the guy alone but he watched Woo-bin leave the runway show alone, trying to catch a cab under the pouring rain.

 

Call it cliché and too much like a drama scene but he knew how lonely being a model and a budding actor was like.

 

“—you’ll get close to YG artists who rarely gets close to artists who are not in YG! Now I’m jealous of you and Min-a! I hated T.O.P for reasons that I don’t need to explain but I’m jealous of Min-a for getting close to Sandara Park-ssi! Now you have the chance to get close to 2ne1— “

 

“Okay, stop. First of all, I’m not there to “get close” to Sandara Park-ssi. Second, I know 2ne1 already, I made a cameo in one of their MVs so it won’t take me much to make friends with them, especially now that we’re labelmates. Third, I haven’t even seen your idol in the building. Fourth, I’ve been close to Yang Hyun-Suk even before I was signed in his company. Fifth, you’re definitely not correct when you said you’re more handsome. The polls tell otherwise.”

 

Heavily lidded eyes narrowed further. “That’s what they all say. I know people who would want to be in your shoes—trust me, they’re more than what you’d expect—and you’re just dismissing the fact that you’ll be in an agency where Sandara Park-ssi works in.”

 

“You do know that you sounded like a fanboy back there, right? Should I tell noona?”

 

To Jong Suk’s surprise, Woo-bin shrugged. “Go ahead. She knows I’m a fanboy and she won’t get mad because she likes Sandara Park-ssi as well, treats her like a younger sister even if they’re in their thirties.”

 

“Whatever. I can’t believe I’m having this conversation with you. Aigoo, fanboys make my head hurt. If you’re really desperate to get to know her, ask your manager to cast her in your upcoming drama. Better yet, for faster results, ask your girlfriend or T.O.P-ssi to introduce you to her.”

 

“You are lucky, Suk-ie. Deny it all you want but you really are. You never know, maybe you’ll meet her sooner than you expected.”

 

“Then I’ll call you to gloat because I’m with her and not you. Maybe I’ll also call Min-a noona so we can bond together without you.”

 

With a grin, he left the flabbergasted Woo-bin in his condominium.

 

The drive to YG Entertainment was silent as Jong Suk mulled on what Yang Hyun-Suk said in his first meeting as part of YG family. Yang Hyun-Suk, or YG hyung as his new CEO insisted, heavily emphasized that he was at the peak of his career thus their next step must be done as carefully as possible.

 

Various drama offerings were waiting for him to confirm as lead role, modelling gigs wanted him to be their front cover, and guesting on TV shows and cameos on MVs flocked his manager-nim’s itinerary. His new contract with YG would throw him under a bigger spotlight, what with YG Entertainment having more active actors and actresses taking lead and supporting roles on many dramas than other entertainment companies.

 

It seems like YG had the year full with dramas around every corner.

 

“Jong Suk-ah, don’t be nervous. Consider this a new step in your acting career. Your label change would take you some time to adjust, new policies would be instilled for the sake of your career growth, and you’d meet new people. But you shouldn’t fear us, we’re mostly harmless.”

 

Jong Suk smiled at YG hyung’s attempt at joking. “Mostly harmless?”

 

“Your fellow actors and actresses are wild but the artists are wilder. And by that, I meant to the point of insanity. But, yes, mostly harmless. They’re cuddly but they have hidden fangs, really.”

 

He shook his head as he gave up trying to analyze what Sajangnim just said.

 

He knew Yang Hyun-Suk even before he started acting in dramas. A confidant of sorts, Jong Suk did not hesitate to call the CEO and tell him of his ending contract with Imagine Asia. He had many offers from other companies, the most notable ones were from SM Entertainment, JYP Entertainment, Blossom Entertainment, and King Kong Entertainment.

 

They were all attractive offers but the moment Yang Hyun-Suk offered him to be a part of YG Entertainment, he accepted.

 

Then he saw another side of Yang Hyun-Suk that day in the meeting. Is hyung going insane from the workload?

 

Ring!

 

Wae hyung?

 

“How far are you?”

 

“Be there in 6 minutes. Your office, I take it?”

 

“Hmm.” There was a commotion on the other side, YG hyung telling them to stop. “Arrasso! Ugh, stop it Seungri. Yes, your corn muffins would be delivered Bom. Same place, yes? Hold Seungri for me Jiyong-ah, will you?” Then he talked directly on the phone. “Hurry up please. I need a reason to dismiss these kids before I go crazy. And buy me some of that patbingsu that you gave me last week, yeah?”

 

Jong Suk was tired as he climbed the stairs to the office. The line in the patbingsu stall was long and it took him almost thirty minutes to get three. Yes, three because he’s starving and he deserved the treat after running away from his fans and hiding behind mannequins. Heck, he lost twenty dollars after paying the kid to keep his mouth shut as he hid under the table. The six minutes that he told his hyung turned into 45 minutes. Not his fault, though.

 

Stupid patbingsu.

 

He barged into the office, not bothering to knock. “Hyung! Here’s the patbingsu— “

 


YG hyung looked up from his computer. “Oh, Jong Suk. You’re here. Good thing too ‘cos I’m starving. Now where’s my patbingsu?”

 

Jong Suk blindly handed them to an expectant YG. He was too busy staring at the girl. She stood up from her seat and bowed in greeting. He almost forgot to greet back when YG let out a cough. Blushing, he stammered an apology and bowed back.

 

Aigoo, these two—you both look like you haven’t met before! Dara-yang, greet your sunbae properly!”

 

She looked up and smiled. “Nice to meet you again, Jong Suk-ssi. I’m happy that you are well.”

 

Her eyes crinkled as she smiled back at him.

 

He didn’t know what was up with him. Woo-bin must’ve put something in his drink as a prank or maybe this was just a dream and he’d wake up to a normal day with him still signed with his agency.

 

Or maybe it’s just her smile that’s making him go crazy.

 

“You look beautiful as always, Sandara-ssi—it’s nice to see you again, too.”

 

The girl blushed as YG hyung laughed. Neither of the two noticed the narrowing of eyes and the palms closing into fists. “Aigoo, I should lock you up in a tower, Dara-yang. Your charm is very dangerous.”

 

Her face, bare of any makeup, brightened as she laughed at her CEO’s half-hearted accusations. “You’re overacting again, Sajangnim. Lee Jong Suk-ssi just being a friend.”

 

Then her twinkling eyes stopped to meet mine. “Kamsahamnida, sunbaenim.”

 

That night, as he returned from his meeting, he called his longtime friend.

 

“Yeoboseyo?”

 

“Woo-bin-ah, I just met your idol crush.”

 

“What! No way! Are you serious? Min-a-yah! Jong Suk just met Dara-yang!”

 

Jong Suk sipped on his water as he lazily scanned any updates on his Instagram account.

 

“Should we pair them together, Min-a?”

 

He spat his water. “What?”

 

Laughter came from the other end of the call. A female voice spoke on the phone. “What? You don’t want to? Trust me, Suk-ie, she’s a real keeper.”

 

Jong Suk ended up staring at a photo of her, trying to ignore the faint rushing of blood to his ears and cheeks.

 

And failing miserably.

 

“Why not?”