Lies

Into You

"What's going on between you two?" 

They were rehearsing for their concert later in the day, making sure all of the equipment was working and that everyone remembered the moves. 

Amber shook her head, not wanting to talk. The morning hadn't gone well. They'd woken up, had breakfast together, then ended up arguing. Apparently, the extra time had just given Krystal more fuel to her anger. Amber wished she could go back in time and never have told Krystal about having spent the night with Henry. She should have just kissed her, held her to her side, and watched whatever had been on tv. She couldn't remember what that had been now. 

"Soo Jung-ee," Luna asked gently, putting a hand on Krystal's shoulder. Krystal glanced at Amber, pinched her lips together and shook her head. 

"Nothing. I'm going to see if the food has gotten here yet."

She left the stage. Amber followed close behind her. 

"Please." 

"I feel like we've said everything we've had to say to each other." 

"But everything's different now," Amber hissed, glancing around to make sure no one could overhear. "I like you too now." 

Krystal flipped her hair and rolled her eyes. "Just because you suddenly have feelings doesn't change everything you did, and you know that." 

"I do, but it changes everything from now on."

Krystal finally stopped and looked at her. "The only thing it changes is that I don't trust you and it'll hurt even more if you do something like this again." 

"But I won't. You know me." 

The younger girl tilted her head. "I do know you, Amber, and that's part of the problem. You don't like to hurt people, and in trying not to do that, you end up hurting them anyway. Because you didn't want to hurt Henry, you ended up spending the night in his bed. Because you didn't want to hurt me, you told me that. Because you don't want to disappoint your friends, you go out any time one of them invites you somewhere, which leaves little time for any of them, you know, and very, very little time for me unless we have a schedule together. I like you, Amber. I really do, but the more I think about it, the more I'm just not sure we should have even started this and I'm almost certain we shouldn't take it further than we already have. And maybe...maybe we should stop it all together. Everything I like about you is everything that scares me..." 

"Krys-"

Krystal pressed her fingers to Amber's lips as a dancer passed by them. "This isn't a good place to talk. We started off on the wrong foot and we just kept going that way. And we can't anymore. We shouldn't. I'm sorry, Amber." The words tore at her, but they had to be said. Risks that she thought she could take with her heart, she now realized she couldn't. It hurt too much. 


"Hey." 

Krystal had considered not answering the phone when Amber called, but couldn't go through with it. "What?" 

"I just...wanted to let you know that I understand what you're saying. And I'm sorry."

"I know you are. That's what makes this worse." She chewed on her thumbnail, saw that she was chipping the paint, and forced herself to stop. 

"We've still got concerts and years of being a group left to get through."

Krystal pulled her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. "Yeah?" 

"So...Okay."

"Okay?"

"We're done." 

Why did it hurt so much more when Amber said it. "Yeah. We are." 

"I'm going to miss you holding me. You smell so good even after we've been practicing all day." 

Krystal smiled a little, but really wanted to hang up the phone. Amber's husky, yet sweet voice was really making her rethink things. 

"Yeah. I'm going to go." 

"Okay." 

"We both need to get sleep for tomorrow and go over with everyone what we're going to do for Victoria's birthday." 

"Okay." 

She held the phone to her ear long after Amber had hung up, hoping she hadn't made a mistake. She'd wanted Amber for such a long time, was she really going to give up so soon? So easily? Just because she was scared of getting hurt? 


She couldn't stop looking at her. Her dark, dyed hair bouncing as she jumped. That crazed happy expression on her face. She loved performing. She loved making the fans happy even though it scared her to disappoint them one day. 

Amber's lips were the favorite focus for Krystal's eyes. The lower one poked out slightly when Amber's face was in rest, giving her a pouty, sweet look, but curled mischievously like a cat when she smiled. 

Am I really ready to let her go? Krystal asked herself for the fiftieth time that morning. 

They sang the encore song and bowed, leaving the stage. They removed makeup and took off their costume pieces, heading out to the vans to transport them back to the hotel so they could rest before returning to their individual homes. She saw Amber walking somewhere ahead of her, arm around a dancer's waist, head resting on her shoulder. 

Is she even thinking about me? she wondered, rolling her eyes. Am I gone from her mind already?

Krystal picked up her speed until she was on the other side of Amber. "Hey," she snapped.

Amber peeled herself from the dancer's side. "Krys..." 

Krystal grabbed her elbow and guided her toward one of the smaller vehicles. She pushed Amber inside and asked the driver to take them back to Amber's house for the night. 

"But it's an extra two-hour drive," Amber protested.

Krystal glared her into silence. 

"What's going on?" 

"..."

"If you're just going to glare and clench your jaw, why did you bring me?" 

Krystal folded her arms and turned her attention to the passing scenery, hoping Amber would just leave her alone until they reached Amber's apartment. Instead, she felt warmth at her side. 

"I got jealous," she admitted. 

"She's just my friend." 

"Everyone is just your friend," Krystal said huffily. 

"But-"

"Please, just shut up."