1. Final

Pure Affection

(( A month later this is finally done~

Also, I just came to the realization that this is probably the first time that I wrote something cute and fluffy where someone didn't end up crying ))
 



Hoseok wasn’t entirely sure how he had ended up squished on one end of the dark brown couch in the living room of their dorm, while Minhyuk insisted that they all could fit. He shifted the fraction of an inch he could closer to the arm of the couch that was already digging into his side uncomfortably while Changkyun watched from across the room; the maknae eventually settled on the floor in front of the couch next to Jooheon, and Minhyuk hopped off the couch arm he had been sitting on to slip a disc into the DVD player.

There was a little more shuffling when Minhyuk returned to his perch, and Hoseok’s attention shifted down to the blanket burrito beside him, a sleepy pout painted on Hyungwon’s lips. He had wanted to go to bed, but Minhyuk told him he wasn’t allowed to miss out on family night. Kihyun had muttered something about the other just wanting to make as many of them suffer through his newest drama obsession as he could, and was using the term ‘family night’ as an excuse. Hyungwon stayed awake longer than Hoseok expected at least; both of the leads had been introduced just before he heard soft snores and felt the younger’s head rest against his shoulder.

“Minhyuk-Hyung, how many episodes are you going to make us watch?” Kihyun asked, attention glued to his phone; not that Minhyuk noticed, he was too busy leaning so far forward that Hyungwoo placed a hand on his shoulder to steady the blond so he wouldn’t fall face first off the arm of the couch.

“You all have to see this one part,” Minhyuk stated.

“‘This one part’ isn’t the final scene where they get together and live happily ever after, is it?” Changkyun chimed in, nudging Jooheon as if to get the other to laugh at his joke; only to find that Jooheon seemed as invested in the predictable scenes set before them as Minhyuk was.

“Yes,” Minhyuk grinned, Kihyun rolling his eyes and standing from the crowded couch, declaring he was going to bed. Hyungwon started to drift towards the empty space, Hoseok reaching over to catch him so he wouldn’t slump against Hyungwoo on the other side of the couch; Hyungwon opened his eyes, blinking at the older for a moment before he leaned back against Hoseok without complaint. The brunet tried to bite back a smile, failing as he turned his focus back to the TV screen. He started to find it a little harder to follow what was going on in the plot as his blinks grew longer and longer, jolting awake when he heard a squeal that undeniably came from Minhyuk and he watched as the blond ran over to the TV, pointing at it while he looked back at the others.

“Did you see that?” he asked, Hoseok rubbing one of his eyes.

“See what?”

“He kissed her!”

“Isn’t that supposed to happen in dramas?” Changkyun asked, Minhyuk shaking his head as if the youngest was missing out on something obvious, and he grabbed the remote, rewinding a few moments and playing the scene again. The female lead was fussing over something, jumping when the male lead placed a hand on her cheek, leaning down; Hoseok expected the male’s lips to meet hers, a curious look crossing his face when his lips pressed to her forehead instead.

“Hyung, I don’t think that counts as him kissing her,” Changkyun stated, Minhyuk pointing the remote at him.

“Of course it does!” Minhyuk argued. “A kiss on the forehead is the purest way to show someone you love them because it shows you’re not trying to get anything in return,” he explained.

“Whatever, Hyung,” Changkyun said, standing and stretching. Minhyuk started trying to explain to the Maknae again, his voice fading out a little as Hoseok looked down at the sleeping bundle next to him. He looked so peaceful with his bangs in his face, lips parted as his breathing came out evenly…

“Hoseok?” The brunet’s attention flashed up to the owner of the voice, finding Hyungwoo standing in front of him. “Do you want me to help bring him to our room?” Hoseok offered a smile, shaking his head. 

“I’ve got it, thanks though,” he replied, the leader nodding. He looked over at the other three, Minhyuk having recruited Jooheon in trying to convince Changkyun that he was wrong about the drama. “Come on, time for bed. You can debate more in the morning,” he stated. Minhyuk pouted, but helped the two rappers up, leading the way towards their rooms, Hyungwoo trailing behind. With everyone gone the room was near silent, and Hoseok found himself weighing the pros and cons of just sleeping on the couch like this.

Con; he would probably wake with a stiff neck if he didn’t have something to lean or lay against. Pro; He could randomly re-play the theoretical memory that would stick in his mind of waking up with Hyungwon snuggled against him. Con; the living room would get colder as the night went on, and the last thing he wanted to do was steal Hyungwon’s blanket. Pro; with the way they were sitting at the moment, he could kiss the other’s head and he probably wouldn’t even wake up to realize it. Then again, would it be the worst thing for Hyungwon to wake up to something like that? He had fallen asleep long before the scene from the drama had played, which meant he hadn’t heard what Minhyuk said about forehead kisses, so there was a chance that he wouldn’t even know what it was supposed to mean.

Hoseok shook his head a little to dismiss the thought, watching Hyungwon’s face to try and detect if the motion was enough to wake him. When the coast seemed clear Hoseok found himself smiling again, leaning his head down to press his lips against the forehead covered by dark bangs- stopping when he saw the other’s eyes open. Hyungwon blinked a couple of times, Hoseok frozen a couple of inches from his face, only to be nudged away the other away as Hyungwon yawned.

“What are you doing?” he asked, looking around the room. “Where did everyone else go?”

“They all decided that they had enough of Minhyuk’s drama, so they went to bed,” Hoseok replied, running a hand through his hair as he avoided the first question. Hyungwon was too out of it to notice, and Hoseok found himself chuckling when the younger tried to get up only to fall back onto the couch. He got up, helping Hyungwon onto his feet, guiding him from the living room and down the hallway, trying not to laugh again at how wobbly he was. “You’re the definition of a sleepy toddler, you know,” he teased softly once Hyungwon was sitting on his bed, earning a completely unamused look from the younger.

“I’m going back to bed,” Hyungwon mumbled, flopping back and rolling so he was facing away from Hoseok.

“Goodnight, Hyungwon,” Hoseok chuckled, slipping under the covers of his own bed.


~

“Time to get up you two!” Kihyun called through the bedroom door, Hoseok’s eyes opening slowly, shifting to fall on the door just before there was a series of knocks that had him rolling his eyes as he sat up.

“We’re up, you can stop,” he called back.

“I’ll believe Hyungwon’s awake when I see the whites of his eyes,” came the younger’s voice, followed by fading footsteps, and Hoseok looked over at Hyungwon’s bed.

"Hyungwon-ah, you should probably get up before Kihyun decides to film you for the Monbebes again," he called, the familiar lump across the room responding with no movement. Hoseok shook his head, slipped out of his bed, and wandered over to Hyungwon's bed, sitting on the edge of it while trying to find the younger's face amongst the blankets. Eventually he pulled back one of the sheets and a smile crossed his lips at how it seemed like Hyungwon was still dead to the world. 

"Hyungwonnie," he cooed, chuckling when there was still no response. He reached out, brushing Hyungwon's bangs out of his face, leaning down. When there was a hand pushing his away, accompanied by a sleepy whine of ‘no’, Hoseok sat back up, watching Hyungwon rub at his eyes.

"What... time is it?"

"Knowing Kihyun, close to eight."

"He called for us to wake up already?" Hyungwon asked, opening one eye while he continued to rub at the other, and Hoseok nodded. "Hoseok-hyung?"

"Hmm?"

"Why are you in my bed?" The brunet stared at the other for a long moment, feeling his face start to heat up before he stood and made his way over to their room door.

"I-I didn’t want Kihyun to drag you out of your bed, that’s all…"

~

“Ten minutes until we’re on, is everyone ready?” Hyungwoo asked, Hoseok giving himself a once over in the mirror before nodding, hearing a few of the others confirm that they were ready as well. He stood from the chair he had been sat in for hair and makeup, attention drifting over to where Hyungwon was standing, face half scrunched up. It pulled a small laugh from the brunet and he made his way over to the younger.

“Something wrong?” he asked, Hyungwon blinking a couple of times, face still contorted.

“It feels like there’s something in my eye,” he finally replied, Hoseok taking a gentle hold of his face with one hand. He turned Hyungwon’s face a little more into the light, leaning forward, a little so he could see into the other’s eyes. The way that the light was reflecting in the younger’s eyes gave the rich brown two distinct hues, Hoseok finding himself growing light headed as he forgot what he was holding Hyungwon’s face for. A tingle in his throat mixing with the feeling caused him to realize he was holding his breath, and Hyungwon squirmed a little in his hold.

“Do you see something? Why are you just standing there, help me,” Hyungwon pleaded, Hoseok shaking his head, trying to clear it.

“S-sorry, I couldn’t really see anything, hang on,” he replied leaning a little closer, eyes trailing from the younger’s eyes to his forehead, and Hoseok swallowed hair. He moved even closer, his nose just shy of knocking into Hyungwon’s, if he lifted his head he could brush his lips against the other’s forehead, and the thought made his mouth go dry. One of his hands pulled back from Hyungwon’s cheek, brushing his bangs away before shifting to ever so gently brush up at the lashes fanning around the eye Hyungwon had been fussing over.

“Better?” he asked, finally releasing the dark haired male, who blinked a couple of times, then nodded and Hoseok offered a smile before turning to make his way over to the others, hoping that his cheeks weren’t as pink as they felt.

~


“Hyungwon, you okay?” Hoseok’s attention was tugged at, causing him to look in the direction of Kihyun’s voice, watching him take hold of Hyungwon’s shoulders to stop the younger from staggering into the corner of the hallway.

“I don’t… feel very good,” came Hyungwon’s groggy response, Hoseok frowning when Minhyuk all but draped himself over the dark haired male, Jooheon joining in before Kihyun scolded the pair, saying that wasn’t how they went about making Hyungwon feel better as he pushed the two off. Hoseok stepped in, gently pulling Hyungwon from Kihyun, who turned a sharp look at him before he seemed to realize who it was.

“Come on, Hyungwon, you probably just need some water and sleep,” Hoseok soothed, wrapping an arm around the dark haired male’s waist, leading the compliant male down the hallway to their room. He swayed a little when they came to a stop outside the bedroom door, Hoseok opening it and helping the other settle in bed before he left the room for a few moments to grab a bottle of water from the fridge, sitting on the edge of Hyungwon’s bed when he returned.

“It might be a little more comfortable to sleep in pajamas,” he pointed out when he saw the sleeve of Hyungwon’s shirt as the younger reached up to rub at his face.

“I don’t care, I just want to sleep.” Hoseok’s heart hurt a little at how pitiful he sounded, and he brushed Hyungwon’s hand away from his face, gingerly brushing his bangs back. With his free hand he touched the back of his hand to Hyungwon’s forehead, frowning a little; he felt cold, but that was probably because of how warm his hands were.

They probably had a thermometer somewhere, but with how Hyungwon sounded like he felt, the last thing he wanted was to shove something into his mouth to sit uncomfortably under his tongue. He bit at the inside of his lip for a moment, remembering how his mother used to check his temperature, and after a few moments of hesitation he leaned down, placing a soft kiss on Hyungwon’s forehead. He did feel a little warm, but not enough that Hoseok felt like he needed to be worried, a smile tugging at the corner of his lips as he sat back up. Hyungwon’s eyes were half way open, much like the way they were when he was woken up, and he opened his mouth, only for Hoseok to set the bottle of water he had gotten earlier on his nightstand and stand from the bed.

“You feel like you might be running a slight fever. You should get some rest, Hyungwon,” he said, looking over his shoulder before he slipped out of their room, closing the door behind himself. He leaned back against the door once it was shut, taking a slow breath in an attempt to calm his racing heart. He had done it, he had actually managed to kiss Hyungwon’s forehead, though considering how out of it the younger was, he doubted that he would understand. Still, Hoseok found a smile crossing his lips as he wandered down the hall for a snack; after all, wasn’t that the nature of the forehead kiss? Showing someone affection without seeking anything in return?


~


"Minhyuk, have you noticed something weird about Hoseok-Hyung?”

“Isn’t he always weird?”

“No, that’s Changkyun,” Hyungwon countered, dropping himself beside the older on the couch.

“What makes you think he’s being weird?” Minhyuk asked, watching Hyungwon fidget a little.

“Well… I know he and I have been really close and touchy since No Mercy but… Something seems a little different,” he started, eyes locked on his own fingers as he played with them. He glanced at Minhyuk, finding the other leaning towards him, elbows propped on his thighs as his chin rested in the palms of his hands, fully attentive and it made Hyungwon let out an embarrassed huff, looking away. 

“Different?” Minhyuk prompted when almost a solid minute of silence passed and Hyungwon reached up to fuss with his bangs.

“Yeah, like… He keeps brushing my bangs out of my face, and staring at me. Then the other night when I wasn’t feeling well he kissed my forehead and said I had a fever when I tried to ask him what he was doing and-” The dark haired male cut off, flinching when there was a shrill noise from the older, his attention flashing to Minhyuk who was now sitting straight up, holding his own face. “Minhyuk-Hyung, what are you-”

“He likes you!” Hyungwon blinked slowly.

“What?”

“He likes you!” Minhyuk repeated, squirming in his seat as Hyungwon looked him over.

“I’m not following,” he said, eyes following Minhyuk as the older jumped up from the couch and ran over to the entertainment stand, returning with a dvd case, waving it around so fast the Hyungwon gave up on trying to read what the title was.

“Last week on family night, I showed everyone this amazing drama, and in it the love interest kisses the main girl on the forehead! Changkyunnie said it wasn’t a real kiss, but that’s because he doesn’t understand.”

“I don’t understand either,” Hyungwon admitted, Minhyuk giving a dramatic eye roll and sigh.

“Why does no one know this? I swear it’s romance 101,” he replied, sitting back on the couch. “Kissing someone on the forehead shows someone that you love them without getting anything in return.”

“How… how is that?” Hyungwon asked, Minhyuk looking over at him before reaching up to point at his own lips.

“Well, brushing your lips against someone else’s feels nice, but you don’t really feel much when you touch your lips to someone’s forehead; at least in comparison to feeling something soft like lips touch your forehead. It felt nice, didn’t it? When he kissed your forehead?” Hyungwon played the memory, nipping at the inside of his lip as he nodded, and Minhyuk grinned, pointing to his forehead. “Now, kiss my forehead and you’ll see that it feels way better to have your forehead kissed than it is to do the kissing,” he continued, Hyungwon jerking back as the older grabbed onto him.

“No way, Hyung!” he exclaimed, Minhyuk bursting out into a fit of giggles, managing to sling one arm around Hyungwon.

“Trust me, he likes you. Now you’ve just gotta decide how you feel. If you like him back, tell him. We all know how unlikely it is that he’ll make more of a move than he already has without you outright confessing to him.”

“Who says I’m going to confess to him?” Hyungwon asked, Minhyuk arching an eyebrow at him. “… Shut up, Hyung,” the dark haired male grumbled, wiggling out of the older’s hold, leaving the living room. 

“Hyungwon?” Kihyun called from the kitchen, the younger backtracking to peak in. “Can you get Hoseok-Hyung from your guys’ room? He should eat before we head out for the day,” he asked, earning a nod, and Hyungwon continued down the hall, staring at the door once he reached it. He knocked, then opened the door, finding the brunet sitting on his bed, playing on his phone.

“Hey, Kihyun-Hyung’s calling you to the kitchen,” he said, Hoseok looking up from his phone. “He says you should eat something,” he added, Hoseok cracking a smile.

“He’s such a mom,” he said, swinging his legs over the side of his bed, pushing himself to stand, pausing and giving Hyungwon a curious look when the younger caught his arm. “Everything alright?” he asked, turning to face the other. Hyungwon’s lips quirked up into a small smile, and he stepped forward, reaching up to brush Hoseok’s bangs back, pressing a soft kiss on the center of his forehead before letting the brunet strands fall back into place.

“Minhyuk-hyung was right; forehead kisses are the best way to show that you like someone, wouldn’t you agree?” he asked, smile turning to a playful smirk as Hoseok stared at him with wide eyes and flushed cheeks.