Two (Memories at the Corner Store)

Precinct 321

Authors Note: I don't know why I keep popping out these serious chapters, I swear this was supposed to be a comedy in my mind, but oh well angsty dramatic brain, you win this time *^*

 

I know not much happened in the first chapter, and unfortunately not much happens here either but at least we get a bit of a back story? Enjoy~~

 

 

She's not staring. She just thinking, lost in her thoughts while her gaze just happens to rest on her new teammate as she practices with a sand bag in a muscle shirt that reveals her toned arms. The new girl must have trained hard on her own to gain such a toned appearance.

 

Eunwoo waves a small (so cute) hand directly in front of Siyeon's face, while laughing at the girl. “Finally found something interesting to look at?” she asks with a twinkle in her eyes.

 

Eunwoo knew Siyeon well enough to know that the way she looked at Yebin was different. Sure she “wasn't staring”, but the way she “wasn't staring” was rather endearing, and somehow she felt like she understood her friend's feelings.

 

As much as they liked to joke around and cause headaches for their leader and trainers, Eunwoo knows Siyeon's heart means well. “Yahh, get your hormones in check Siyeon-mannn” Eunwoo laughs.

 

Yebin, looks over at the sound of Eunwoo's giggles, and Siyeon pushes herself up from her seated position. Caught in the act she moves towards the door, hair hiding her face.

 

“Hey”

 

The voice surprises her. Her friends know that while she loves their crazy presence, sometimes Siyeon just needs time alone. She's a teenager after all and she has a lot on her mind. She is even more surprised when a hand gently grabs hers to stop her from continuing to make her escape. The girl's fingers graze hers before grabbing on firmly. While Siyeon's mind is still processing the contact the girl continues.

 

“Is it something I did wrong? We've been teammates for a whole month and you haven't even said a thing to me. And then today I catch you...” the girl trails of uncertain. Siyeon can't meet the girl's chocolate eyes and instead chooses to continue walking down the well worn steps.

“I'm not good with strangers, okay?” she says. “Didn't Minkyung and Kyungwon join the same day as I did? Why do you talk to them, even hug them as greeting” Yebin says not sure what she's trying to say anymore, but she knows that a frustrating feeling builds in her chest when her attempts at approaching Siyeon had all been rejected.

 

Even the seemingly stoney leader Nayoung had welcomed Yebin warmly making her feel like she was a part of the team.

 

While everyone was so kind to her, for some reason Yebin cared about Siyeon's opinion, it didn't really make sense. When she had noticed the girl staring at her, she had felt a slight rush and when the girl had looked away and started leaving she suddenly felt compelled to approach her.

 

The feeling is complicated. Yebin has learned to be straight to the point with her words. Some people may find it offensive, but rather than meaning to be abrasive, she just hates to talk in circles always trying to cater to how others might interpret her words. This openness also means she openly expresses her emotions and her frustrations rise as she looks at Siyeon who stands there so enigmatic her dark eyes so different than the eyes she remembered.

 

The truth is, their first meeting was not on the day Yebin was sworn in, but years ago.

 

She has since changed dramatically, it's really no surprise that Siyeon doesn't recognize her. The Yebin that had met Siyeon was a meek scrawny girl with thick glasses and long straight hair that hid her face.

 

---Flashback---

 

Yebin had always been short for her age, add that to the fact that she had worn glasses since the 2nd grade and generally a quiet and shy kid made her the unfortunate target for bullies who could only make themselves feel bigger when they made others feel smaller.

 

Yebin reaches out for her favorite, strawberries. It must be her lucky day because there's one last box and as she grabs it and starts making her way to the front. Ahead of her she sees a young girl, a kid really, who looks all of eleven. She's looking around at the cold drinks with a pretty expressive looking girl and another girl with cute puffy cheeks. They're talking, something about how their trainers are going to kill them with the intense training before they even graduate.

 

The youngest girl grabs the collar of her her shirt and shakes it trying to cool herself and Yebin suddenly notices that her shirt is soaked through with sweat.

 

Yebin continues her way towards the front when suddenly a tall shadow falls over her shoulder. Strong arms grab the box out of her hands and shove her roughly to the side. “I wonder why I suddenly feel like strawberries” the tall boy says with a laugh as he looks back at his friends who laugh along. Yebin collides with the youngest girl and her right shoulder slams into the corner of a shelf.

 

Before she falls, the kid grabs her and she feels the younger girls' lean strength, most likely gained through ruthless training and hours of work. The kid gently pushes Yebin behind her and the animated girl and puffy cheeks girl surround her asking if she's hurt. “It's nothing but my shoulder really hurts.” Yebin says quietly. The girl gazes back seeing the rip in Yebin's shirt and beads of blood dripping out of the cut.

 

Turning back to the boys she walks right up to the boy who is easily a head taller than her and demands an apology in a soft calm voice. When he only laughs in her face her leg flies out aiming for his knees and he's suddenly dropped to his knees. Humiliated and now face to face with her she grabs the front of his shirt. Her voice is still quiet as she says “Just because she's small, doesn't mean she's weak. Just because you're big it doesn't mean you're strong. The strong don't pick fights that they know they'll win, that's what cowards do.” He struggles to get up but her surprisingly strong grip on his shirt keeps him in his place.

 

“You think you're all that and a bag of swag, but don't mess with Siyeon or you'll get dragged” Sungyeon pipes up, getting a grin from the girl who's name turns out to be Siyeon. By this point the part timer running the cash register can no longer pretend to be obliviously straightening the shelf behind him and walks over to eject the kids from the store.

 

As Yebin walks away gingerly massaging her shoulder she hears a voice calling for her “Wait a minute!” She turns around to see the girl named Siyeon run back into the store black hair whipping in the wind and emerge a minute later with the forgotten box of strawberries. “Here, you wanted these right?” she says as she offers the box to Yebin. Her light brown eyes met dark ones that shimmered back at her in the street lights.

 

Yebin works hard to get stronger after that day. She ditches her clunky glasses and chops her hair to a shoulder length that emphasizes her sharp facial features. She starts working out and eventually gains abs from her hard work. Unknowingly she gains an aura that demanded attention. She wanted to become a person that others could depend on and that's where her dream of joining the town's police academy started. That's when she sees Siyeon again for the first time in years, Siyeon, an unforgettable person.

 

--End Flashback--

 

Yebin is done being the weaker one. Looking into Siyeon's eyes which had once shimmered at hers under the streetlights all those years before. Yebin doesn't care that the girl doesn't remember her, doesn't know why her eyes have darkened but , she knows that she too could be someone's hero. That's why she chose this path, and meeting Siyeon seemed like a sort of fate to Yebin. Even though the girl seemed to have her walls up, Yebin knew that her feelings of gratefulness and admiration for the girl were not unjustified and she trusted her heart that the girl who had been her light all those years ago was still in there somewhere.

 

“It's okay if you can't tell me right away, but you're thirsty right? Let's go get some drinks from the store” Yebin says as she continues to walk. Siyeon falls behind and Yebin turns around and reaches out more confidently this time for Siyeon's hand. They're connected by only their hands, and yet Yebin feels her heart flutter. For the first time they are alone, just Siyeon and Yebin their breath forming clouds in the cool winter air as they made their way swiftly down the sidewalk.

 

It's not much, but Siyeon allows herself to relax a little. It's exhausting trying to keep up her strong front and she doesn't want to burden her friends with her personal worries. Everyone has their own demons, and she knows that those who smile the brightest often are the ones who also have been hurt the most themselves.

 

She doesn't offer much resistance as her new teammate drags her by the hand and follows her as they head down the streets...towards the corner store.