The Best Present

BTOB One Shot Collection (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Somewhere planted deep within her mind and was nothing but tiredness. That was how she would picture her day everyday as she casually slid her card, punching in her time one her job as a part-time waitress ended for the day. Glancing over at her wrist where her watch was strapped, she decided it was a perfect time to swing by the park for a while, easing her mind after receiving what it sounded endless trail of nagging from her manager. Bidding of her goodbye to one of the other worker she managed to lay her eyes on, the female made her way out and instantly met with her bicycle.

 

Shutting her surroundings by placing her headphone, her legs instinctively began to pedal to her desired location whilst listening to her favourite jam, humming once every few seconds to prove the statement further. When her mind went off, she closed her eyes as her left arm spread to the side, wanting to enjoy the wonderful spring wind passing by. However, the moment did not last since her bike halted. It was an accident. Bumping on what she thought would be a complete stranger; the person took off one of his earpieces before rolling his eyes over at her direction.

 

He was definitely not a complete stranger to her. That was what pigment of memory told from the back of her unconscious mind.

 

“Watch where you’re going, will you?” The male spoke with his tone sounding a tad pissed and glared. Due to the loudness cupped on both of her ears, she shouted with a short ‘what?’ only because she could not hear his voice. She saw him letting out a long heavy sigh and pointed his index finger on his ear and hers right after. Mouthing a quick ‘o’ with her lips, she quickly took the object off and an awkward smile came on her face.

 

“What a relieved. I don’t get any scratch or anything.” He brushed his jeans as if there were visible dusts or as per say, scratch that happened to fly onto them before walking away and left the female dumbfounded. Scrunching her nose and pouted, she mumbled to herself, “What is wrong with that guy anyway?” Putting her headphone once again, she ignored the random encounter and started to cycle off.

 

Two uneventful weeks passed by rather quickly in her opinion and it just happened to be one of those working days where her shift was not even a day shift. Instead, it was a partially empty night where most of the customers that came through the door were merely university students as they made an attempt to burning the midnight oil. As she was busying herself behind the counters, wiping cups and doing some plate arranging, there was a tinkling sound coming from the chimes placed by the door, indicating a new customer entering the building.

 

The male, presumably based on his backside and short brown hair, was able to find a spot by the entrance where he felt it would be safe to keep his skateboard, conveniently a place right by the long table he claimed for the night. He apparently had made his order rather fast as if he was a regular but her co-waiter decided to be busy. So in the end, it was her who had to serve his coffee.

While all that was happening she felt a familiar vibe coming from the fellow. ‘Wait, I think I met him before.’ She silently pondered as she carefully placed the cup on his side without making any eye contact. That was until she heard him calling for her, “Excuse me, miss.” Turning her body, she retraced her steps back to him as he continued.

 

“Can I get one more cup of the same coffee?” He asked. She took a glance at the table again before scanning it in detail. Sitting facing the café’s large glass window, he could view the vacant street with the occasional cars and motorcycles passing by. Looking passed him to the other side, she noticed he was indeed alone, questioning her on why one Earth would he order another cup? But she left the place moments later and told the barista at the time to make the new order. Instead of waiting at the table like before, he already stood at the main counter where his coffee would be placed on. Taking out his wallet, he glanced up as she was counting for the change. There was no conversation exchange between them.

 

So there she was walking out of the café once her six hours shift ended for the night only to see the guy from before was there in front of her, standing by the sidewalk as if he was waiting for her. He handed her a cup of coffee and she noted it was the one he ordered earlier which made her startled. “Take it.” It was a short phrase. The one escaped his lips before he took a sip of his coffee. When the second cup changed its owner, she looked at him. It was also that time, the other’s eyes caught a glimpse of her nametag which she supposedly taken off beforehand.

 

“Park Chorong, that’s a nice name.”

 

Once the word reached her ears, she automatically covered her nametag with her hand and threw a glare which softened a bit after. “Well,” he suddenly uttered as he appeared to try not to stumble on his words, “If you have the time, feel free to come by the skate park tonight. There’ll be some sort of competition going on.” He invited oh-so-casually before placing his skateboard down and stepped on with his right foot.

 

‘This weirdo is talking to me all of the sudden? I don’t even-’

 

“Call me Changsub. Lee Changsub. Hope to see you at the skate park later.” He took his one last sip and passed the empty cup to her, leaving her with a smirk plastered on his face. The guts he had was unbelievable which caused her to crush the cup with her hand before throwing it straight into the nearest trashcan.

 

By the time it was almost midnight, Chorong was back at her apartment as she cleaned her dining counter. Wiping her hands on a dirty cloth, her mind suddenly recalled his words. The one’s came out from the guy’s mouth. What was his name again? Changsub was it? Anyway, her eyes found the wall clock after walking to the living room and wondered, “Why should I go there again?” It was a question for no one to answer but curiosity won the tiny battle in her mind. Minutes passed by, she hailed a taxi.

 

Upon passing notes to pay the fare to the driver, she stepped out of the taxi unknowingly. “I don’t know there is such competition going on in the town.” Screw that, she did not even know where the place was in the first place but she put highest trust in the taxi driver when he nodded his head and stopped at the so-called place. Unexpectedly to her, the competition almost comes to an end by the time she reached the skateboarding ring.

 

“It’s Lim Hyunsik versus his eternal rival, Lee Changsub. Who do you think will win tonight?” The emcee clad in checker-patterned flannel over his black shirt and pants voiced aloud, earning the crowd’s attention as they screamed both names simultane

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter