Together with you, eternity can never be an error

Luck one-shots/drabbles

 

 

Okay, I wrote this on a whim like a really long time ago and after much scrutiny, I am happy to declare this a finished work.
 
A life of thrills through adventures and explorations gave Sanghyuk the feeling of being alive but an accident gave him the curse of immortality, turning his exciting life into darkness.
 
A century has passed since that fateful day and his world remained dull until he met an adorable teen, Jung Taekwoon.
If I am together with you, eternity can never be an error.
 

 

Boring.
 
Everything was boring to Sanghyuk. That was not really much he could do about it since he had been living in this world for more than a century. It was becoming really mundane and even the canvas that used to bring him joy with the myriad of colours he could use on it looked monotonous to him now. To add to that, his pursuits in life had left him a lonely man for his family did not agree to his choices. Since then, so much time had passed and he never did sought the possibility of his sister’s children being alive and all.
 
He tried to find companionship through love. Hakyeon was the first. They met shortly after Sanghyuk became immortal, Hakyeon being the one who first approached the former. It was not exactly a bad one, Hakyeon was kind and protective and warm but he was not the right one for Sanghyuk. It eventually ended in tears but peaceful goodbyes and it left Sanghyuk with hopes for a better relationship. Then came Wonshik. He was quite a mess, making Sanghyuk feel all sorts of emotions. Wonshik was a good man, just a little slow with affections and quick-tempered. Whenever he was stressed, Sanghyuk felt unhappy as well. In a way, the whirl of emotions made Sanghyuk’s life less dull but it was not what he wanted. He ended it with a slap across the man’s face and that he never wanted to see Wonshik ever again. Jaehwan was the third, cheery and creative. He showed Sanghyuk the beauty of art, enabling the latter to find happiness in the blank canvas and colours began to appear in Sanghyuk’s world. But the creativity took a tow on Jaehwan’s mental health when he began to hallucinate and see things that did not exist. Sanghyuk could not pull the male back to reality and Jaehwan killed himself with his imagination eventually. For the first time, his partner died before he could even break up. The last and latest was Hongbin. The young photographer saw the world as moments he could preserve in a frame. He was open to ideas, to new things and everything, except his heart was never in one place. Despite initial good feelings between them, Hongbin soon left Sanghyuk to pursue his freedom and his photography. It was a relationship just like the wind.
 
There were occasional one-night stands but it was never enough for Sanghyuk. He needed more spice in his life, something that would make him feel alive. Ironically, it was precisely because of this mindset that he was cursed to an undead life. You see, many years ago, Sanghyuk sought the thrill of hunting down mysteries and supernatural activities. He was so successful, he found a witch’s home on one of his expeditions. Because of the prank he played on the witch (he messed up one of her spell and got caught), the witch decided to make him live forever.
 
“My boy, since you wish to live a life full of adventure, I shall grant you immortality. You may be harmed but never fatally wounded. I hope you will enjoy my gift,” the witch smirked before casting yet another spell to send Sanghyuk away.
 
At the beginning, Sanghyuk found it wonderful. Gradually, he soon found out that the people around him, the ones who shared his love for adventures, were leaving him one by one because of death and loneliness began to eat him up. Eventually he came to realise that he was cursed, to live forever and not being able to enjoy the thrill of actually being alive. He went once after he made it to the fifty year mark, hoping the witch would take back her gift. The witch smiled upon seeing him and with a flick of a finger, Sanghyuk was sent back home but not before the following statement was thrown at him.
 
“You sought a life of thrill, don't you? I won't take back what I gave you.”
 
More than five decades passed since then and Sanghyuk felt really lonely being by himself. With each passing day, the more he felt like he was cursed. There was a point of time where he tried to kill himself by stabbing his own heart. But as the witch already said, he could never be fatally wounded. The wound closed within a day and Sanghyuk was left with only memories of intense pain and an empty feeling. It was around then when he met a young high school teen. Covered in mud from top to bottom, the teen froze on the spot when he saw Sanghyuk staring at him. As if he committed a crime, the boy ran away in the opposite direction at the speed of light. That day, that boy sparked Sanghyuk’s curiosity, filling his heart with something Sanghyuk could not quite name.
 
The second time he met the teen, was when the teen was in his uniform and cuddling a cat at the park. He found the sight rather cute and stared for too long, leading to the teen looking up. With a faint blush dusting his cheeks, the younger male looked down at the cat to avoid Sanghyuk’s intense look. This time, Sanghyuk found out that looking at the boy was more interesting than the book in his hand.
 
The third time they met was when Sanghyuk ordered fried chicken, the adorable male was the staff at the shop. The immortal flashed a toothy grin at the teen, leaving him flustered and he nearly dropped the money if not for Sanghyuk holding his hand. The latter never forgot the shock he felt when their hands touched and the innocent yet surprised eyes of the younger. Taekwoon, was the teen’s name, Sanghyuk found out after much scrutiny of the younger’s name tag. Despite becoming sick of fried chicken after having it for two weeks, Sanghyuk’s interest in Taekwoon won over his rationality. On a bright sunny day, Doojoon, Taekwoon’s colleague/friend scribbled something on the napkin and placed it on Sanghyuk’s tray, ignoring the pleas of Taekwoon. The male grinned when he saw it and left promptly after his meal. Upon reaching home, he typed a text on his phone before hitting the send button as fast as he could.
 
Hi there, I am Sanghyuk. Cheesy as it is but you are cute. Wanna meet up sometime for some food?
 
After an excruciating thirty minutes (ridiculous since Sanghyuk had spent more than a century living and has an eternity), a reply came from the younger.
 
Hi. Okay. Where?
 
After several more exchanges, they finally decided on a place and Sanghyuk smiled dumbly at the messages throughout the entire day.
 
He never expected his stomach to have butterflies on the day of the date and it was one of those really rare situations in his century-year-long life that he would find picking an outfit a difficult task. After some unmanly groaning and whining over what to wear, he managed to make it in time for the date. Taekwoon stood awkwardly next to a pillar, peering around in hopes of spotting his date while nervously twirling his fingers. He was at the verge of tears after ten minutes with several random people trying to hit on him until the older came to his rescue. With a warm smile, Sanghyuk took Taekwoon’s hand in his own and intertwined their fingers gently. The older flashed a smile at the people who were flirting with Taekwoon before calmly excusing themselves. At first, Taekwoon was a little flustered because of the hand-holding but he soon accepted it and allowed himself to be taken to the cafe Sanghyuk suggested. Neither knew that the simple act of holding hands was affecting each other more than normal and their thumping heartbeats led them to forget the silence between them throughout the time they were walking to the cafe.
 
“They have lots of good food here, pick whatever you want, I will pay, okay? You are still a student after all.”
 
“Ne... “ Taekwoon answered softly with his head buried in the menu to cover the blush that refused to fade on his face. Sitting near to his crush was causing his brain to malfunction and the lingering warmth on his hand only served to worsen his condition. He slowly put down the menu to catch a glimpse of Sanghyuk only to lift it up again when their eyes met and the knowledge that Sanghyuk was actually staring at him the entire time unnerved him.
 
The brunet chuckled lightly when he saw the teen’s reaction and tried to ease the tension by asking a question. “Have you decided on what you want? If not, I can help you with it?”
 
“I… I was just thinking if the fried chicken here tastes good…” “Why?” “Because… Hyung likes fried chicken right?” Sanghyuk burst out laughing at the statement, startling both his date and the people around. Fearing that he did something weird, Taekwoon was about to apologise when the laughing male replied.
 
“You know, you are really too innocent. Hahahah,” Sanghyuk commented. “If your friend hadn’t gave me your number, I would have probably eaten more fried chicken until I am brave enough to ask for your number.” The teen’s face went red immediately and he laid his head on the table to cover up his embarrassment.
 
“Cute~” Sanghyuk cooed, earning a whine from the teen.
 
One date after another, the two became closer. They went through the petty fights, emotionally supporting each other and many other issues throughout the five years of their relationship. When their relationship began to stablise, Sanghyuk struggled with telling Taekwoon about his curse. He was afraid to lose the male and even more to watch Taekwoon die when he eventually grow old. With a heavy heart, he visited the witch a second time.
 
“What is it, child? You are awfully annoying.”
 
“I have someone that I am in love with and I want to grow old with him.”
 
“Hmmm, I told you before, I don’t take back what I have given.”
 
“But I-”
 
“I have a proposition for you. You can tell him about your immortality and bring him here. After that, I will figure something out. Deal?”
 
“Deal.” Filled with hope, Sanghyuk left but he failed to realise the wide grin on the witch’s face before her back faced him.
 
“Taekwoon-ah, I have something important to tell you… It’s about myself.”
 
“Okay, I’m all ears.”
 
At the beginning, Taekwoon did not believe Sanghyuk. It was only when Sanghyuk showed him all sorts of proof that the younger began to understand. It was rough at first, the younger asking to have some time to think about what he was told and Sanghyuk’s heart sank a little. But he knew that he could not force Taekwoon to accept everything so easily and waited. When the younger male came back into his embrace, Sanghyuk knew at that moment that even without eternity with Taekwoon, he would still be the happiest man in the world.
 
“So this boy is your lover? Pretty…” The witch said before turning back to her cauldron.
 
“I have brought him here and told him about myself. Is the deal still on?”
 
A crooked smile appeared on the witch’s face and she replied calmly, “Why of course, my dear. Of course. You two have my best wishes.” She snapped her fingers and waved them off right after. “It’s done, leave now.”
 
“What did you do?” “I gave him immortality and now you two can be together forever.” “But this-” “Isn’t what we agreed on? I never promise you anything. Besides, now the two of you can be always together.”
 
Sanghyuk gave an apologetic smile when they returned, he felt that he ruined everything and most importantly, Taekwoon’s life. Sanghyuk began to feel more and more guilty as the younger had been silent since the visit and Sanghyuk was at a loss of what to do. “I am not upset…” Taekwoon began softly, looking at his lover gently.
 
“But…” “We have eternity together now right? I am sure there will be a few things to get used to but I have you…” The endearing smile on Taekwoon’s face finally broke Sanghyuk and he felt Taekwoon pulling him into a tight hug.
 
“Don’t cry… Aren’t you happy we are together?”
 
“I am… I am too happy that I am crying…”
 
“You silly old man…”
 
“You are stuck with this silly old man.”
 
“If I am together with you, eternity will never be an error.” Taekwoon said before pressing his lips onto Sanghyuk’s, sealing their promises to each other.