Chapter 1

No Matter What They Say

 

Standing on stage was second nature to all five of the boys, but for some reason, today wasn’t as relaxed as other days. Maybe it was because Key, Minho and Jonghyun’s parents had come to see SHINee’s concert on this day. It had been at least 9 months since the parents had seen them on stage, and it wasn’t just fun and games anymore for SHINee.

Fan-service was something that Jonghyun and Key were famous for during their concerts but it was not something that was just a joke. In fact, it was all real. “Fan-service” was just a cover up so that a reputation would not be crushed. Still, even if Jonghyun or Key opened up to the fans, they would’ve had a far better reaction than their parents who are strictly against it. But the parents have no suspicion whatsoever and the two lovers wanted to keep it that way.

“Jonghyun-ah, remember to keep the “fan-service” on the down low today. If our parents ever find out or even come close to finding out, who knows what’ll happen…” Key said with deep worry. The ends of his eyes drooped and you could hear some shakiness in his voice.

Jonghyun just scoffed it off and held Key’s hands in his; Key’s beautiful, pale skinned hands and his long, slender fingers. For a short moment, the troubles and worries were washed away by the passionate moment, with the two looking deeply into each other’s eyes. It was a magical moment in three seconds, counting as slowly as possible, as the two pairs of brown eyes looked within each other.

“You know it’ll be alright,” Jonghyun reassured with a bright smile, as if everything WILL be alright no matter what. Still with hidden doubt, Key nodded his head and gave his Jonghyun a big hug to show his thanks. He would just have to trust him with this, like he always trusted him before.

Noona neomu yebbeo~ Sanso gatteun neo~ Juliette, ho~ Ring ding dong, fantastic elastic~ Her whisper is the Lucifer~ Hello, hello~

It was quite the show and tons of fans left the building with happy sighs and fangirl shrieks. Though, the JongKey stans were a bit disappointed at the lack of interaction their shipping couple had. Well they weren’t the only ones that were sad about it.

Backstage, the boys were getting their things ready when the SHINee parents arrived to meet them. They all had such proud looks on their faces and were hugging and kissing their children to no end. It was a great reunion and the atmosphere was comfortable. Until Key’s mom had to say…

“Oh, my beautiful child, just look at you! You’ll definitely find a fitting wife and get married any day, looking at how you’ve grown and matured. And of course give me grandchildren one day.” Key’s mom burst into excitement and laughter, while her son was laughing along but it slowly grew to a weak chuckle.

‘Yes mom, a wife…’ Key gave Jonghyun a swift glance and caught his eye. It was quite the awkward situation.

Back at the dorm, everyone was ready to pass out on their beds. When the last person, Minho, finally dozed off, Jonghyun and Key took this opportunity to be alone. FINALLY.

Both of them were also extremely tired out, especially after having to be so cautious of their parents. Key sat down on the bed and dropped his head on a pillow in relief that he was at peace. And with his Jonghyun. There was really no other moment that he enjoyed more than the ones with his inseparable other half. Just watching him walk across the floor, change his shirt, run his hands through his hair… it was all so heavenly to Key and he found pure happiness in these moments.

“Jonghyun-ah…,” Key started to say in-between yawns. The singer just turned around and gave his friend a puppy smile. That made Key laugh and paw at his face playfully, imitating a cat. They silently pounced on each other and played like two kindergarteners. But soon, the little play fight changed to a more serious mood, and Key’s voice suddenly became worried again, just like before the concert.

“You don’t think our parents will find out, do you? I feel as if they will jump out of nowhere and catch us whenever I’m with you. I’m so paranoid these days because of that…” Key’s stressed-out expression hurt Jonghyun’s heart and he couldn’t bear to see him be so worrisome.

“Key, I told you before; it’ll be ALRIGHT,” Jonghyun said in the most soothing voice he could.

“But how do you know, Jjong? I don’t have any proof that they’ll be clueless forever. How do you know it’ll be ok?”

This softened Jonghyun and caused him to sigh a laugh. He was sitting at the edge of the bed and slowly moved in closer; closer to Key.

“I don’t know. But I DO know that words won’t help the situation. You know me better than that, Key. I’m not a person for words or talk. More for action.” And he gently pressed his soft, pink lips against Key’s. There was a warm feeling that traveled through both of their bodies, starting from the lips down to the feet, such a sensation that felt as comforting as a sunset beach. Only this felt more like paradise than any beach in the universe.

Jonghyun held Key’s face in his hands and wiped the tears that were flowing from Key’s eyes while still kissing him deeply.

“Why are you crying? It’ll be alright. It’ll be alright… as long as I’m here and we’re together. Nothing can separate us, even if the world is against us.” Key was now shedding more tears at Jonghyun’s words. He knew in his heart and mind that nothing could keep him from loving Jonghyun, not even his own parents. But obstacles don’t just walk away from you, it may come when Key will have to deal with even the whole world objecting his love. It may come soon, but as Jonghyun said, “It’ll be alright as long as we’re together.”