Case #1: Start

Arrest Me

If anything, Sojung hated being at one of her father’s business gatherings. It was tiring having to smile all the time and pretend to be friendly with almost everyone who could be a potential partner of Kim Corps. Having suitors making a move on her from left and right was not making life easier for her too. As much as she would like to ignore them, she did not want to ruin her father's reputation for being a ‘rude and stuck-up’ daughter. Maybe, that was why she was good at disguising as someone else during any of her missions. She was already used to play pretend.

 

Sometimes, she wondered why she was eager to take over the company when she was still studying about business. Was it the thought of being able to control those working under her? Was it because she would have a lot of power being the CEO? Or was it because she only wanted to please her father? Thinking back about it, Sojung wished she could travel to the past and change her past self’s dream. She could probably be promoted to a higher rank in the police force if she had started early in the career. However, even if she were to start early, she knew she could never escape from any of the gatherings. It was a fixed part of her life whether she liked it or not.

 

Sojung was exceptionally exhausted that evening. She hadn’t had any rest since the start of the gathering and it did not help that she had to head straight to the event as soon as she was done with her shift at work. She did think of making an escape but seeing how there were guards surrounding the exits, she knew she would not be let off so easily. It was obvious that her father was the one who purposely hired them to keep a lookout on her.

 

“Sojung, my dear, you look really tired.”

 

Hearing the familiar warm voice, Sojung looked up and showed a small smile to the woman who was approaching her. “I’m not, Eomma. I’m fine.”

 

“You can’t lie to me,” Mrs. Kim said sternly and rested her hand on her daughter’s arm, giving it a light squeeze. “If you’re tired, I can call Minhyuk to give you a ride home. I’ll just tell your father that you’re not feeling well. I’m sure he will understand.”

 

“It’s alright, Eomma” Sojung shook her head. “I’m really fine.

 

“You’re really stubborn like your father,” Mrs. Kim sighed and lightly shook her head. “If you're really tired, don't overwork yourself, alright? Call Minhyuk to take you home.”

 

“I got you, Eomma,” Sojung groaned. “I will do just that when I’m really, really, really exhausted. You don’t have to worry about me too much. I’m a fully grown adult.”

 

 

“Maybe, I should really just take up that modelling job,” Eunbi let out a dejected sigh as she slumped against the sofa in the living room upon arriving home. Sinb, who was busy munching on her popcorn while watching a movie, turned to face her friend with a confused expression. “All the companies I had applied for last week rejected me too.”

 

“You know I was just kidding about you joining the modelling agency,” Sinb paused the movie and placed the bowl of popcorn she was holding onto the coffee table. “You don’t have to join something you’re not interested in.”

 

“What am I lacking in honestly?” the older girl groaned, staring back at her childhood friend desperately.

 

“Honestly? Experience,” Sinb simply replied. “You lack in work experience. All the head of the HR departments probably have the same mindset that you’re one of those whiny and bratty child since Uncle is a millionaire, hence, why all of them rejected you. Some might even think you’re working as a spy.”

 

“Thanks for making me feel all better,” Eunbi said sarcastically. “You really deserve a best friend award.”

 

“You’re most welcome, Miss Jung. I definitely do deserve that award for staying by your side for almost ten years now,” Sinb snickered, earning a harmless glare from Eunbi. However, the glare was soon replaced by a look of dejection again and Sinb could not help but feel pity for the older girl. “Shall we go out and get some ice cream at the convenience store to make you feel better?”

 

At times like this, Eunbi was really thankful she had a friend like Sinb who knew her inside out. Flashing the younger Eunbi a small smile, she nodded her head. She did not mind heading out again for ice cream. Who could resist the sweet confectionary anyway? Having one would definitely cheer her up a little.

 

--

 

Eunbi couldn’t help but glance at her neighbour’s door as she walked down the hallway leading to the elevator. She had actually hoped to see the tall officer when she got home but much to her disappointment, she was not able to. Eunbi was not a stalker but she was sure that Sojung would have arrived home the same time she came back. It was why she purposely decided to do a short window shopping at a nearby mall before returning home.

 

“Stop acting like a creep,” Sinb clicked her tongue and grabbed onto Eunbi’s wrist, pulling the shorter girl along with her. “It’s been months. Why don’t you just man— woman up and approach her? The worst that could happen is that you’ll get rejected by her.”

 

“Sometimes, I wonder why am I still friends with you,” Eunbi sighed.

 

“Because your father trusted me with you. I’m stuck with you forever whether you like it or not. I’m like your personal bodyguard,” Sinb said with a smug look.

 

Rolling her eyes, Eunbi pretended not to have heard Sinb’s words and pressed onto the button. Eyes fixated on the digital board showing what floor the elevator was at, she waited patiently for it to reach her level and take her down to the lobby.

 

Minhyuk, you didn’t have to send me all the way to my front door. I’m still capable of walking.

 

Eunbi’s gaze immediately darted to the two people who did not seem to have noticed their presence and walked out of the elevator. Seeing the familiar red head, she unknowingly found herself staring at her neighbour’s glorious figure with her jaw slightly hanging.

 

“Just look at how perfect her figure is. She deserves the modelling job more than I do,” she said dreamily. “I’d do anything just to have a body like her.”

 

“What a ert,” Sinb looked at Eunbi judgingly. “Stop staring at her, you creep. We have an ice cream date to go to.”

 

“Aw, is someone jealous?” Eunbi teased as she wrapped her hands around Sinb’s arm.

 

“Shut up,” the younger girl muttered. “I regret telling you I had a stupid crush on you when I was twelve.”

 

 

Sojung let out a sigh of relief as soon as she was back in her apartment. Her mind was too tired to function although it was only ten in the evening. Walking into the living room after taking her heels off, a soft chuckle left her lips at the sight of Yewon all cuddled up in a blanket, sleeping peacefully on the couch.

 

She must have been waiting for me to return, Sojung thought, a soft smile formed on her lips as she quietly made her way to the couch.

 

“Yewon–ah,” she called out softly and gently tapped the sleeping girl, knowing her to be a light sleeper. “You should be sleeping in your room instead of the couch.”

 

The younger girl stirred in her sleep and slowly, her eyelids fluttered open. The smile on Sojung’s lips stayed as she watched Yewon cutely rubbing her eye before sitting upright, looking at her sleepily.

 

“Unnie? When did you get home?”

 

“Not too long ago,” Sojung answered.

 

“It’s only ten? I thought you’d be home around midnight or so,” Yewon said with her eyes widened slightly. From the stories Sojung had told her about her family, Yewon knew how strict her father was when it comes to social gatherings. She was surprised how Sojung was able to return home early this time round.

 

“Well, my father can never say no to my mother,” Sojung chuckled, her tone laced with amusement.

 

“You should go wash up and rest after, unnie. I know you’re tired,” Yewon sternly said, looking at the older girl with furrowed brows.

 

Shaking her head, Sojung plopped down on the empty space beside Yewon and pulled the latter into her embrace, resting her head against Yewon’s. “Let me just take a power nap first. I’m too lazy and exhausted to even walk to my own room and you make a comfortable pillow.”

 

Yewon’s expression instantly softened. Sojung did sound really tired that Yewon did not have the heart to argue with her. “At least lie down, unnie. It’s not comfortable to sleep in a sitting position.”

 

“Will you still be my pillow to hug?” Sojung looked down at the girl in her arms and wriggled her eyebrows playfully.

 

“Of course,” Yewon replied with a small smile.

 

Removing her arms around Yewon’s waist, the latter stood up with her blanket in hand and waited for Sojung to lay comfortably on the couch before squeezing herself in the remaining space beside the taller girl, throwing the blanket over them once she was in a comfortable position herself.

 

“Goodnight, Yewon. If I don’t wake up in half an hour time, you know what to do,” Sojung muttered.

 

Yewon waited for a few minutes to make sure Sojung was soundly asleep before positioning herself up slightly so that she was able to have a clear look of Sojung’s face. Studying the officer’s facial features, Yewon traced each of them with her eyes, trying to store all the images she had drawn in her mind.

 

Since you saved me the last time, it’s my turn to protect you.


a/n. another short chapter, sadly. subsequent chapters will be longer! 

p.s. of course the girl in the previous chapter can't be eunha. ;)