Case #0: Prologue

Arrest Me

No one expected Sojung to join the police force after graduating from the most prestigious university in Seoul. Having a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, everyone thought it was obvious that she would work for her father. Therefore, to think that someone like Sojung, a person who usually talks about business and rarely about anything else unless she was hanging out with her friends, joined something out of her scope of study was a shock to her family and friends especially her father.

 

Sojung did think about it thoroughly, honestly. As much as she wanted to make her father proud by taking over his position in the business world one day, the thought of having to stay in an office for hours and going for multiple meetings were not appealing to her. Contrary to everyone’s belief that she was an introvert who usually had a book stuck up her nose wherever she goes, Sojung actually craved for adventure every day. She was more of an outgoing kind of person. Therefore, joining the police force seemed like the right thing to do although it was by impulse when she did so two years ago.

 

“I still don’t get it,” Mr. Kim took his glasses off and leaned against his chair, looking at his daughter with the same confused expression every time Sojung came over to visit. “Why join the police?”

 

Sojung sighed. It was the same old question over and over again. “I’ve lost count the number of times you asked me this, Appa,” she frowned. She had grown tired of it. “Why are you always asking me the same thing whenever I visit? It’s been two years!”

 

“I want you to quit,” Mr. Kim said, his voice filled with authority. “I’ve let you experienced two years of doing whatever you want and now, I want you to get rid of any other dreams you have and join my company. It’s about time someone takes over my position.”

 

“You can’t just tell me to quit like that!” Sojung raised her voice, staring sharply at her father who seemed displeased with her defiance. “It's my life. I should be able to pursue whatever I want. I’m not a kid anymore.”

 

“I’m just looking out for your well-being, Sojung. You'll only get hurt more if you continue to be part of the police force. In the world of business, at least I can hire bodyguards to protect you from any harm,” Mr. Kim frowned and looked at Sojung with the same intensity. “You may have your mother's full support but not mine.”

 

Not wanting to argue with her father any further, Sojung stood up with her fists clenched and gritted, “I'm not going to quit and that's final. I love my job. No one is allowed to tell me what I should and shouldn't do. Not even my own father.”

 

Turning on her heels, she walked out of his office and angrily marched out of the two-storey house.

 

 

“Why do I have to follow you around?”

 

“Because you love me and I need moral support?”

 

Sinb could only sigh at her childhood friend's response. It had been more than two hour since the pair left the apartment. Eunbi had been going around the vicinity searching for a job that would pay just enough to support the two of them. Sinb had actually planned to just snuggle comfortably under her blanket in the living room while going on another Harry Potter marathon that day since she had no dance lessons but Eunbi had to take her free time away by dragging her out on such a chilly afternoon.

 

“Why won't you just take up the modelling job? It pays you plenty and you'll be famous,” Sinb huffed as she watched the older girl searching for directions on her phone.

 

“If I were to join the industry, I would have to watch what I do and say all the time,” Eunbi clicked her tongue. “That's something I don't want to deal with. I want a job where I can be myself without having to worry about my image.”

 

“Then you should probably just work at a convenience store,” the taller girl snickered, earning a light jab on her arm. “What? No one will judge you for working as a cashier. You'll be a cute one at that too. Imagine someone asking you to take something on the top shelf but you can't reach— YAH.”

 

“That's for making fun of my height,” Eunbi muttered after giving Sinb a hard shove, causing the latter to almost fall if not for her good balancing skills.

 

“Why are you so adamant on finding a job anyway? You can always just ask for money from your parents since they're rich.”

 

“I can't rely on them for the rest of my life. Besides, I’m trying to find a decent job to impress you know who.”

 

 

Sojung knew it was wrong for her to just leave her father’s office right after raising her voice at him. She did feel guilty for doing so but she was really upset with how he still disapproved of her being a police officer. Maybe, it was her fault that she had his hopes up high in the past when she was still in university but dreams can change at any moment, right? Thinking about her father only dampened her mood further so she pushed all the thoughts away once she arrived at her floor.

 

Pressing the password to her apartment, Sojung pushed the door open and entered once she heard a beep. A small smile tugged on her lips when she suddenly felt a pair of arms enveloping her into a tight hug.

 

“I’m sorry I was out for too long,” she muttered before placing a chaste kiss on the shorter girl’s forehead. “I went to get us some food for dinner after visiting my parents.”

 

“It's alright,” the girl returned a smile. “At least you're home safely without any minor injuries like the previous time.”


a/n. cheers to a new plot. : )