Cold Kisses Vs. Salted Caramel

Of Sugar Quills and Cauldron Cakes

Chapter Five: Cold Kisses Vs. Salted Caramel

 

The blizzard outside had forced them to stay put within the warmth of Honeydukes. The snowfall was heavy in the morning but by dusk, it had turned into an all-out snowstorm. 

Kyungsoo sighed, wishing he was back in his crummy little apartment. He had wanted to take a day off knowing well that they wouldn't be serving many customers today because of the snow. Currently, he regretted his decision to not listen to himself. 

Despite the utter lack of light in the shop, Junmyeon sat in a corner, dexterously counting all the money for what seemed to be the hundredth time. Sehun and Jongin were animatedly playing Exploding Snap while Jongdae watched in amusement. Baekhyun was seated in an alcove, busy reading the latest copy of The Quibbler with an illuminated wand in his hand. And Yixing sat by the window, his eyes trained onto something. Probably trying to catch a glimpse of a Unicorn in the woods. 

There was an eerie atmosphere outside with howling winds and frosted trees. Kyungsoo curled into himself as he tried to drift off to sleep. Alas, he was rudely awoken by Baekhyun's shriek:

'Merlin! This is horrible news!'

Junmyeon quickly stashed away the cash back into the cash register and asked, 

'What's the matter?'

'Don't worry Junmyeon. The Ministry hasn't summoned  you for tax evasion,' remarked Sehun.

Ignoring Sehun's attempt to steal the limelight away from him, Baekhyun continued,

'It's been said that a group of Dementors have been spotted roaming around the outskirts and the Ministry hasn't done anything for three whole days!'

'Well, it wasn't talked about in The Daily Prophet, was it?' asked Jongin.

'Like the Prophet will tell us!' scoffed Baekhyun, 'They've been bought by the Ministry, that's what it is!'

'Unlike The Quibbler, of course! Such a mighty and trustworthy magazine...' drawled Kyungsoo, igniting his friend's temper. 

'Like you wouldn't be terrified if a Dementor comes up and your soul, leaving  you to live in a semi comatose state?!'

'That's why all of us have our own Patronus. There's a reason we learnt Defense Against the Dark Arts.'

'Sod off,  Soo. You wouldn't understand the genius and magnificence behind The Quibbler anyway.'

Kyungsoo didn't even bother rolling his eyes. He tried to go back to sleep again, fixing his hazy vision onto Yixing, who was still frozen by the window, peering into the blizzard outside. As his eyes fluttered shut, he registered Yixing exclaiming to no one in particular with an awe-struck expression:

'Did you bloody see that?!'

Kyungsoo figured Yixing was babbling about some fanciful hallucination of witnessing a lone Unicorn or something as his heavy eyelids shut close once again.

 

The crew had slept over at Honeydukes and were rudely woken up by the sound of incessant knocking at the door. Kyungsoo cracked open his eyes to see Junmyeon wearily trying to open the locks. From the glass panelled door, he could make out the faces of renowned Mediwitches, which was unusual since Honeydukes was "the harbinger of dental caries and other diseases" in their opinion. 

The blizzard had stopped but the clouds looked gloomy. The sun still wasn't out yet.

As Kyungsoo made these observations, Junmyeon and the Mediwitches were in a deep frenzied discussion. At long last, the Mediwitches took their leave and Junmyeon walked to his half-awake crew.

'Guys we need to bring over a bulk order of desserts to St. Mungo's right now. Chocolate Frogs, Cauldron Cakes, anything substantial,' he ordered. 

'What's up with St. Mungo's?' questioned Jongdae.

Junmyeon shot a look at Baekhyun.

'Seems there was a Dementor attack at Hogwarts yesterday. Four individuals are in a critical state.'

Baekhyun was too shocked to even gloat at the moment and Kyungsoo was thankful for that.

Junmyeon continued. 'The intensive treatment is helping but as you know, they need a large supply of chocolate to aid their recovery.'

'We have loads of desserts stocked up in our larders. And Kyungsoo just made a new batch of cauldron cakes yesterday,' Sehun added.

'Good. Then unload everything we have and let's deliver it to them."

The crew immediately got to work like ants and soon they were all ready to transport the items to St. Mungo's. They had charmed a van to look like an ambulance and had sent it as fast as possible to St. Mungo's with Jongin driving, accompanied by the infamous duo consisting of Jongdae and Baekhyun.

The rest had gathered around what looked like a rusty old spade with baskets of goodies in their hands. The spade acted as a Portkey that'd take them to the hospital in a jiffy but it could cause symptoms of travelling sickness. Looking down at the salted caramel cauldron cakes he'd baked recently, Kyungsoo prayed it'd be enough to aid the patients' recovery, before placing his hand onto the Portkey, feeling a familiar tug behind his navel as he went flying through time and space. 

With a loud thud, they landed on their feet in the busy London streets yet not having attracted the attention of passers-by somehow. Huddled together, they made their way to the dilapidated department store building that housed the vast hospital on the inside.

 

Kyungsoo hated hospitals. Was it the lighting? Or the scent of medicinal potions and elixirs? Observing his surroundings, he decided it was the overall feeling of unease he could sense from the patients. Moving forward following the Mediwitches, Kyungsoo picked up bits and pieces of their conversation with Junmyeon. It went something along the lines of, "much better now," and "a few more days of recuperation," and plenty of thank you's. They were taken to the first floor which held the Creature-induced Injuries ward. 

"—well if you could call what attacked those kids a creature even," spat one Mediwitch passing by, in a disgusted tone.  

The wards were nearly empty save for four beds on the right hand side, beside the windows. Kyungsoo observed three kids lying there, their faces pale and clammy-looking. Concerned parents sat beside them, holding their hands and unsuccessfully suppressing their sobs. The students had their eyes open and seemed to understand what was going on around them but they looked dead behind their eyes. Glazed over and lost. That's how Kyungsoo could best describe their eyes. 

His worst fears were confirmed when a Healer was heard whispering to Junmyeon, "This was most definitely a Dementor attack."

Kyungsoo couldn't believe his ears. The Quibbler was right all along. The Ministry was an irresponsible institution and this here was enough proof. After the death of Voldemort and the abolishment of Azkaban, the Dementors didn't have any place else to go. The Ministry should have maintained control over them but instead they just let them loose by the mountain ranges, intending they'd feast on the Giants. How did these Dementors even enter Hogwarts? Clearly there was some portal that led to Hogwarts from, say, Borgin & Burke's via a vanishing cabinet. Yet again the Ministry would blame someone else but themselves. 

Dragging his eyes away from the students, he spotted a lone bed a little away from the sunshine pouring through the window. A lone figure lay there, and from that distance Kyungsoo could make out how exhausted and frail the patient looked. Squinting slightly, he seemed to recognise those large limbs that didn't fit in the small cot and the messy hair and the demented satchel placed over the bedside table.

Kyungsoo's blood ran cold.

The figure in the shadows was none other than Chanyeol.  

Kyungsoo tried to walk over there but his legs seemed to have suddenly turned into lead. He was anxious and the fear in him was nearly suffocating him to death. 

Junmyeon stilled him by placing a gentle hand over his shoulder. With a wry smile, he said, 

"He's recovering slowly. You should go talk to him. It'll help him feel better."

Gulping, he nodded and made his way quietly to the last bed. His gaze raked over Chanyeol's withered form. 

As though sensing his eyes on him, Chanyeol grunted and squinted upwards. Recognition flashed in his eyes, followed by his usual sheepishness.

"H-hello there" he croaked, offering a small smile.

Kyungsoo remained silent. Chanyeol wasn't sure if it was because of anger.

Reaching out into his basket, Kyungsoo brought out a salted caramel cauldron cake. 

"Here. This will help."

Despite the poor lighting around his bed, Chanyeol could still make out the tears glistening in Kyungsoo's dark eyes. The sight tugged at his heart.

"Kyungsoo, I— the kids— I had to save them"

"You couldn't have just summoned a Patronus?"

Kyungsoo winced. He really didn't mean to snap.

"I thought I encountered a Boggart! Not an actual Dementor. Please, don't be mad."

Kyungsoo shook his head. "Nah. I'm not angry. I'm sorry but I acted purely out of concern alone." 

"I understand. And I know I should have acted sooner. But in the end I managed to send forth my Patronus so it couldn't have caused further danger. Also, my Patronus changed! Can you bel—"

But before he could ramble on and exhaust himself completely, Kyungsoo shoved the cauldron cake closer to Chanyeol's face. 

"You need to eat. You look almost like a Dementor."

Chanyeol chuckled. He could see Kyungsoo was back to normal. Also his stomach rumbled at the sweet smell of the cake. So he took it gratefully to feast on it.

But just as he brought the cake to his mouth, a melodic voice drifted though the ward.

"Yeollie! Is that your share of chocolate?" 

Chanyeol groaned, rolling his eyes really hard. Everyone else in the ward was busy ogling with open mouths at the heavily pregnant Park Yura waddling her way towards her brother. When her eyes fell on Kyungsoo, the initial confusion gave way to unmasked happiness.

"You must be Do Kyungsoo! My little brother has told me all about you," she squealed, trying to get as close to Kyungsoo as possible even with her huge belly.

"Ah Yeollie, I must agree with you. He's very cute in person," she added with a wink directed to her brother. 

Kyungsoo was sure he was about to combust in flames. One look at Chanyeol's crimson face confirmed he felt the same way too. Thankfully Yura's voice didn't reach anyone else's ears. Maybe because they were all too dumbstruck to note what she was saying.

But she didn't stop there.

"Kyungsoo, I'm forever grateful to you. You made my cravings bearable and this baby very happy. I know I've put you through so much trouble to prepare my orders in time and-"

"Please don't apologise or anything. I like making all this for you. It's my job anyway," he defended.

"Just know that I appreciate your work a lot since this dolt here doesn't even know how to melt ice."

A pillow smacked her in the face just then and Chanyeol had his wand in the air.

"You're no better!" he grumbled.

Yura rolled her eyes and it scared Kyungsoo how similar both siblings were in resemblance. Regaining her usual composure, she grinned back at Kyungsoo, drawing the curtains around the bed.

"I'll take leave now since you're there to take care of my little brother" she trilled from the side of the curtains, and Kyungsoo noted the slight lilt in her voice, before she drew the curtains all the way through, leaving them in silence once again. 

"Please pretend that didn't happen," mumbled Chanyeol in exaggerated despair and Kyungsoo laughed at that.

"Sure, if only you'd eat this cake I specially prepared—"

"—for me?"

"For the patients, which also includes a useless DADA professor."

"Okay that was rude," said Chanyeol, putting a hand over the left side of his chest.

"The truth hurts."

Their tones were playful as Chanyeol happily ate the cake while banting back and forth, the both of them in their own cocoon of privacy. 

 

They didn't realise how fast time passed until a Mediwitch pulled the curtain away, signalling it's time for the patients to get their rest. Kyungsoo looked around to find none of his co-workers in the ward. 

"So they ditched you here with me just like my sister did?" laughed Chanyeol, "Hey, no worries. There's enough space for two in this bed."

"Oh shut it, you."

"Make me."

There was the sound of a sharp intake of breath by Kyungsoo and he didn't know if it was the darkness or something else, but Chanyeol's eyes seemed to have turned very dark. 

Kyungsoo darted his tongue out to his lips and Chanyeol's eyes followed that movement with a barely concealed groan. 

He didn't know what the Mediwitches had given him, but this was a side to Chanyeol that Kyungsoo had never seen. And it excited him.

The air suddenly felt thick and ten times hotter than it originally was. Chanyeol slowly leant forward like he was magnetically attracted to Kyungsoo. He held the other one's forearm for support and sparks erupted on their skin. Kyungsoo took this as a signal for him to lean in as well.

Their noses had just bumped each other when one of the students lying in the nearby beds started wailing loudly in their sleep.

And just like that, the two of them broke apart. Kyungsoo was so flustered he didn't register the army of Mediwitches hurrying in to help the kid.

"Guess I'll see you soon. After you get better. So, um,  get well soon," he mumbled in a hurry.

"Um, yes, thank you. For the treats and being here and all that. Thank you so much," replied Chanyeol, his eyes looking everywhere but at Kyungsoo.

"Professor Park!" cried a Mediwitch, "It's well and good you're fit enough to flirt with your visitor but keep in mind that you need your rest. That goes for the both of you."

Her tone wasn't really strict but it still made the both of them flush. Kyungsoo hurriedly took hold of his basket and turned to draw the curtains in once again. 

"Wait—" started Chanyeol, "I, uh, have a fact to share with you."

Kyungsoo shot him a curious look.

"I—uh. It's about— you know my Patronus?"

Kyungsoo had no idea where this was going. 

"Well your Patronus can change during special moments in your life. So yeah. That's what I wanted to tell you," he rambled.

"DADA 101?" laughed Kyungsoo.

"Merlin, I'm so lame" chuckled Chanyeol as well but his voice turned serious immediately after, "But most importantly I came to a realisation. If only I could summon my patronus here. Though I don't think I have the time and energy to express that to you now."

Kyungsoo remained nonplussed. "Are you really okay? You seem to be going off on a tangent here."

Chanyeol slumped back into his pillow rest. He felt very tired for a reason.

"I'll be alright K'soo. You go ahead. Reach home safely, okay?"

"Promise me you'll be fine, you dimwit!"

Chanyeol grinned, one eye opening cheekily. "Sure! If you'll go out on a date with me."

Kyungsoo didn't even bother hiding his immediate shock.

"Sorry, what?"

"A date, Kyungsoo. An official one. It already feels like I've wasted too much time procrastinating this. So will you?"

Kyungsoo didn't hesitate for a second even."O-okay. I will. I'll go out with you."

"Splendid. So it's deal then," stated Chanyeol, drawing his pinky around Kyungsoo's, "I promise to not cause any more harm to myself or anyone around me since you very generously agreed to go out with me. And I'll take you out as soon as I get better,  I swear."

Kyungsoo let out a breath he didn't even realise he was holding, which came out like a small laugh

"You're really something, you know that?"

"I do. And I wonder how you tolerate me at times."

"It's an acquired skill."

Chanyeol waggled his eyebrows. "Aha. A jack of many trades."

Sadly, they couldn't continue with their banter because the Mediwitches now threatened to use manpower to pull Kyungsoo out of the ward.

Exiting the hospital, in the midst of the busy commercial streets, Kyungsoo was sure no one missed the skip in his steps as he made his way to the nearest Floo Network, longing to get back home for some rest. But sleep evades him as he spends the night hours tossing in his bed, the flutter in his heart bringing a smile to his face every now and then. 

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

Well I'm back. Sorry for keeping you waiting for such a long time. I promised that I wouldn't abandon this story and I intend to stick with it. Again,  I'm really sorry. Please enjoy this chapter.