Kim Siblings: A Shoulder to Cry on

Off the Record
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter VI

A Shoulder to Cry On

 

*This ficlet takes place during chapter 40 on TWT

 

 

Every Thursday night, Jonghyun has a date with his DVD. Sometimes he’d bring a friend or two over and they’d eat take-outs together, but most of the time, he’d do it alone. He prefers doing it alone, honestly, because then he doesn’t have to argue with other people about the movie choices, and he won’t have anyone going but you’ve watched this like three times before! whenever Jonghyun chose his favorite classics.

 

Tonight, he’s watching a new DVD he purchased the other day, the one Jonghyun—Lee Jonghyun—suggested he watch. It’s a movie about three black women kicking NASA’s collective asses, and it tells a real-life story about racism and ism in 1960’s America. Jonghyun is ready with his feet propped up the coffee table, his tablet right next to his hand for when he needs to Google a certain fact—he does that sometimes, especially when he doesn’t get a certain reference; it’s always nice to understand all the jokes—and his bowl of popcorn next to his other hand.

 

They haven’t even gone past the introduction scenes when his front door swings open and slams closed. Jonghyun jumps in surprise, whipping his head back to stare at the offender, which happens to be his little sister.

 

Right. Who else.

 

“What,” he snaps, annoyed that his movie date is being rudely interrupted. Gwiboon doesn’t reply, doesn’t even look at him. She kicks off her heels, before taking off her coat and throwing it on the back of the sofa before going to the kitchen to get herself a cold bottle of water.

 

Jonghyun squints at her when she walks back to the living room; barefoot but confident, like she owns the goddamn place. Gwiboon takes the bowl of popcorn off the cushion before flopping down on its previous place. Suspicious, Jonghyun doesn’t take his eyes off her even when she puts the bowl on her lap and starts to get comfortable, eyes glued to the huge TV in front of them.

 

“Did you hit your head and forget ?” Jonghyun asks. He thinks about this question for a bit before rephrasing it. “Did I hit my head and forget ? Cause last time I checked, you don’t live here.”

 

“Shut up and watch the movie,” Gwiboon snaps, sounding annoyed that Jonghyun is interrupting her movie night. Grumbling under his breath, Jonghyun huffs and turns back to continue watching the movie. After a few seconds, he turns to the bowl on Gwiboon’s lap and narrows his eyes at it.

 

Jonghyun makes a grab for it.

 

Gwiboon, without even looking, scratches Jonghyun’s arm with her manicured nails. Jonghyun yells and pulls his arm back, spitting curses. “Those are mine!”

 

“Shut up,” she turns to him, eyes blazing with intensity that Jonghyun is pretty sure should count as overreacting. “And watch the movie,” she hisses sharply. Jonghyun barely manages to hold back a whimper when he recoils and zips his lips.

 

Strangely enough, Gwiboon doesn’t say another word. Not even once the movie ends, Jonghyun claps (it’s beautiful, okay? Sue him for showing appreciation), and puts in another DVD (an easy-going movie called Chef, because Jonghyun loves Favreau’s humor and Sofia Vergara’s accent). She doesn’t make a peep, but she does snuggle closer to him and forces his arm to go around her neck so she can fold herself under Jonghyun’s arm, her elb

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter