Stranger in a Rainy Day

Rain

Rain


 

 

Rain, I’ve always liked the rain and how it hid my pain, my tears—my sorrow. But then there’s another that made me like the rain… it was that stranger that I crossed paths with in the bus stop after the tragedy happened.

 

 


 

 

I was walking happily, humming cheerful tones despite of the weather. Gyuri and I were going out—finally—after all the cramming, the sleepless nights, and stressful days during our examination week in school. It felt like all of those are nothing compared to the excitement that I had. I also bought a spare umbrella for her on my way, one that was similar to mine although it was pink.

 

 

Just when I was about to cross the street, I saw a familiar figure right in front of the school kissing a guy. My heart stopped beating, my breath hitched, my eyes started to water with tears threatening to escape, everything suddenly looked dull. I felt weak, shocked, and sad—everything just came crashing into me. I didn’t know what to feel. I was caught off guard. I wasn’t prepared for this. I felt my arms lose its strength, dropping the umbrella to the ground then I ran. I didn’t know where to go; all I know is that I want to be away. Gyuri ah… how could you do this to me?

 

 

I ended up sitting on the bench of the bus stop, my hair was dripping and my clothes were soaked but I couldn’t care less. I seemed so lifeless as if the rain washed away my happiness. I was so in love with her and I couldn’t think of loving anyone else but her. But is love enough? Will it be enough to bring back the trust that was lost? Will it ever be enough to fix a broken soul?

 

 

I gripped my hair in frustration and pitied myself the whole time I was staring to the ground. By then, I couldn’t stop my tears from falling. Moments passed and I heard someone whine several meters from me; I turned my head immediately. She groaned and stomped her foot in annoyance, “Why must the rain pour now when I forgot to bring an umbrella?!” Some of the drops of water went to the hem of her dress; it only pissed her even more. “Oh good heavens, when will this day end?”

 

 

I took the spare umbrella from my bag and walked towards her. “Hey, miss?” I called out but she was too busy whining that she didn’t hear me. “Stupid rain!” she complained once more before she kicked an empty soda can. She slipped and almost fell on the ground. Luckily, I was able to catch her in my arms. Her eyes widened in shock. “I—well…” my mind was unable to process anything clearly as I was too mesmerized by her beauty. I opened my mouth to speak but I couldn’t utter a single word. From her cold, dull eyes to her thin pink lips, everything seemed to be so perfect. She faked a cough, bringing me back to reality. Finally, my mouth found its function again.

 

“A-Are you okay, Miss?” I asked her, my voice filled with concern.

 

“Ah yes, t-thank you…” She said, feeling a little self-conscious all of a sudden. “Here,” I offered her the pink umbrella. “No no, it’s okay. I’m sure this shed can keep me dry; I can go after the rain stops,” she politely rejected my offer but I insisted. “I’m already soaked, you can use this. You need it more than me,” with that, I placed the umbrella on her hand and left, not giving her a chance to react.

 


 

“Kwon Yul!” I convulsed after Sooyoung shouted just before my ear, causing it to ring for several seconds. “What the hell, Soo?” I shot a glare at her then turned to Sunny who was smiling kindly. “Sorry about her, Yul. She was asking if you want to come with us in the nearby coffee shop.”

 

“Oh, sorry but I have plans for today; but, I’ll join you guys next time.” I said.

 

“If you say so… we’ll get going now. Later, kid.” she ruffled my hair before the two of them left. I plopped my body on my bed as soon as the door closed.

 

It’s been almost six months since I broke up with Gyuri. I kept myself busy but distracting myself with school and my part-time job. And then there’s this stranger who keeps entering my mind every now and then. It was stupid of me not to ask her name. She seems familiar though, have I seen her before?

 

Now that I’m alone, I couldn’t help but think of the moment I witnessed Gyuri locking lips with someone else. I should’ve known my place ever since. I should’ve made it clear to myself that our family is nothing compared to theirs. I should’ve realized that I had nothing to offer. We were supposed to go to the same school; however, our family was financially unstable. They can’t afford to send me to the well-known school that Gyuri and I planned to study in. I could’ve gotten a scholarship but my grades weren’t high enough. Who was I to her? Did I, even once, mattered to her or was everything a lie? Who would want to be with someone who has to work her off in order to be able to study anyway? I chuckled bitterly. I felt so small.

 

 

“Yul,” I stood up as I recognized the owner of the voice, I can’t be mistaken. I turn to the direction of the door. “Hey, Gyuri,” I tried not to sound awful and rude. She walked towards me, “It’s been a while, I saw you at school few days ago, what were you doing there? Do you—by chance—want to get me back?” she asked nonchalantly. I couldn’t believe this girl. After all she had done? If I were her, I wouldn’t even have the courage to show up, but her? I stared at her blankly, amused and disappointed that the same time. How did I even fall in love with this girl? I decided not speak, I narrowed my eyes instead.

 

 

“I’m going to take a step back if I were you, right seobang?” I shifted my gaze to the person leaning on the doorframe with her arms crossed. It’s her… She was smiling sweetly at me and threw a wink. “My my, isn’t it Jessica Jung? After dumping Ok Taecyeon, you’re here to use my ex as a second choice, eh?” Jessica walked pass Gyuri and clung to my arm. I froze on my spot as I looked at them back and forth. “Ooh, now you’re accusing me to be someone like you? Kissing a guy in front of the school with her girlfriend watching from afar, huh? How scandalous… I’m not as cheap as you are,” Jessica retorted. If it isn’t Gyuri who’s with us right now, I would’ve smiled like an idiot for how Jessica was acting. Gyuri’s face is indescribable. She was obviously ridiculed and bewildered.

 

 

Jessica was wearing that victorious smirk before she asked me, “Why don’t we go now, babe? We might run late for the movie.” I glanced at Gyuri with a small smile, “So, uh… see you around.” I felt Jessica intertwine our fingers before we started to walk away. I don’t know what will happen next, but this will surely change things.

 

 

Just who are you, Jessica Jung?