blossom

Sweet Gum Tree

I watched the birds chirping outside the window of the classroom, as I tried to avoid the burning stare from Baekhyun behind me. I wasn’t looking at him, but I could feel the burning sensation behind me.

 

Mrs. Seo in the front kept blabbering about the techniques used in the poem ‘The Deserted Village’ when I'm literally so bored, I started counting leaves on the tree outside the window. The side of my face resting comfortably on my palms. From the reflection of the window, I can faintly see Baekhyun still staring holes to the back of my head.

 

Why is that boy looking at me?

 

Decided I should leave him alone, I went back to my daydreaming, recalling the book I was reading last night.

 

When an hour passed,  I was this close to falling asleep, luckily the bell rang just in time to save me from trouble.

 

I started packing my books and pens into my bag. Before I could grab my bag and leave the classroom,

 

“Soohyun, Baekhyun. Stay,” Mrs. Seo called.

 

Baekhyun? What about him?

 

Baekhyun and I walked over to the teacher’s table, both curious about why we were asked to stay. I kept my eyes looking straight at Mrs. Seo, while he is looking at me. I admit I am feeling very uncomfortable with Baekhyun next to me and looking at me so intensely.

 

“Yes, Mrs. Seo? Do you need me?” I asked politely.

 

Mrs. Seo lifted her glasses a little and picked up her pen.

 

She pointed at me, “You, you were staring out the window the whole time-” She pointed at the window with her pen and continued- “While, you-” This time she pointed at Baekhyun next to me -“Were staring at her the whole time.”

 

“Mrs. Seo, n-“ Baekhyun tried to deny.

 

“I don’t want to hear explanations, I don’t know what is happening between you two,” Mrs. Seo this time pointing at both of us by swinging her pen back and forth. “But both of you are staying for detention today after school. In the library, analyzing this poem.”

 

“Yes, Mrs. Seo.” We said at the same time, feeling unhappy.

 

I ran out of the classroom as quickly as I could, and before Baekhyun could grab my hand. I was already out of his sight. I looked behind carefully, noticing that Baekhyun is not behind me, I relieved instantly. I slowed down my pace and walked off to my next class.


tumblr_onepwvJvIt1vwv1uio1_250.png

“Baekhyun, I’m trying to stu-“

 

He put his index finger on my lips before I could finish my sentence. He pulled back after he saw I stopped talking.

 

“Meet me at the tree tonight, 8 o’clock.”

 

“Wait-”

 

Before I could say anything, he turned around and left. I knew I felt somehow excited, but I shouldn’t. I couldn’t afford to be broken by him again. My brain told me to stay in my room, but my heart said otherwise. My heart screamed “go.” I didn't want to go, but I decided to trust him this time.

 

So at 7:30, I picked out a cute little one-piece dress and a denim jacket to go with it. I spent 15 minutes deciding whether I should wear trainers or sneakers. I was low-key excited, but I didn't want to admit it to myself.

 

7:50,

 

I brought my notebook that I bring everywhere with me as well,  just in case I needed it. I locked the door and walked down the stairs.

 

Step by step, I was closer and closer to the tree. As I walked faster each step, my heart was beating twice as fast. My palms are sweating, showing that I’m actually really nervous. Yes, I am in fact, really nervous about what is waiting for me there. It has been 4 hours since Baekhyun asked me to meet him here. Yet, there were still a lot of questions in my head.

 

Why did he want to meet me? What is he going to say? What am I going to say? What are we gonna do?

 

When I arrived at the tree, I was expecting to see Baekhyun, but everything that came into my eyesight was leaves.

 

Oh, he must be a little late, I’ll just wait.

 

I thought to myself. I sat comfortably under the tree, my back leaned against the bark. Looking around, no sign of other life. I hugged my knees close, regretting wearing a dress. It was getting really windy and cold.

 

half an hour.

It's okay, he will be here, right?

 

one hour.

I mean, he asked me out, he couldn't ditch me now. He must have some reasons.

 

one and a half hours.

It's cold, where is he?

 

two hours.

I still have trust in you Baekhyun, don't let me down.

 

two and a half hours.

maybe he’s not gonna come.

 

three hours.

he’s not going to come.

 

A tear rolled off my cheek. I couldn't stop it. I promised myself I won’t get hurt again by him, I hated the feeling. Yet, a little bit of trust was still stored in him. Tonight, he lost it. He lost it himself. Maybe this is it, maybe we should stay friends. If we weren't meant to be, then I would like to give up. He deserves someone better. I love him enough to let go, I would like him to be happy.

 

My lips were shivering from the coldness, turning purple. My nose turning red. Still, no one showed up. Not even a single shadow. I took out my notebook and my pen and started to scribble down a letter for Baekhyun. The letter I would probably have no courage at all to give to him.

 

You were the person that I could put before myself. “My everything”, it sounds cliche but it’s true. You are the only thing that matters to me. The only thing that lights me up, the only thing that makes me strong and the only thing that made me feel okay. So calling you my everything is true even though that’s only half of it. Today I waited for you through the cold wind waiting for you to reply and that’s when I realized that I just want you to be happy even if that’s not me. I want your road to be filled with flowers that bloom and maybe it’ll lead you to the right one. All I need for you is to go find happiness. But what I want you to know is that I won’t ever stop caring. I love you Baekhyun. I know it’s easy to write and say in my head and that’s what I wanted to tell you but isn’t this just pure luck that you didn’t show up if this is how we’re destined to be? I love you, I love every part of you but if this isn’t how it’s meant to be that’s ok. I’ll be ok.

 

I read the letter over and over again. Yes, this was written with details, my feelings. Yet, I don't think it carried my deepest feeling inside me.

I ripped it out of my notebook. I held it up and ripped it once in the middle. Piled it up and ripped it again through the middle. I let go of the little pieces of paper and let the wind scatter itself around the ground. I couldn't care less. Then, I stood up and left.






Students rush out of the classrooms as the bell rings, indicating that the day is over. I held onto my heavy books and walk towards my locker. The walk to my locker seems extra long today, and when I finally arrived, all the students have already left. Looking around the locker room, memories flooded into my mind. This was where it all began, where I met Baekhyun.

 

Snapping out of my flashback, I packed my bag slowly, taking my time. The only sound could be heard was my breathing, not until the sound of footsteps echoed around the hallway. I didn't pay much attention to it, but when the person started to talk, my full attention was on him. “Baekhyun?” I asked in shock. What came after was anger and disappointment.

 

“What do you want?”

 

“Can we talk?” He asked with so much pleading in his eyes, I couldn't bring myself to say no.

 

“You had a chance last night, yet, you didn't come.” I crossed my arms.

 

“Please, I'm here to apologize.”

 

“Apologies for what? For yesterday? If that's the case, then leave. I'm over it.” I know I'm being harsh with him, but I'm disappointed and mad.

 

Mad at him and also mad at myself. I attempted to leave the locker room and proceed to the library for my detention. Before I could reach for my bag, Baekhyun grasped my wrist and pulled me towards him. I groaned as I tried to shake off his grasps, he held  my wrist up high, stopping me from escaping.

 

Slowly, he walked close and closer to me. Trapping me in between him and the lockers. I heated up seeing how intimate we are. He leaned in his face, only inches away from mine.

 

“Listen, avoiding me is not the answer to the situation we have. Neither is being cold to me.”

 

“Let go of me” I tried to escape from his grasp.

“No, stop being so stubborn and avoiding me.” He yelled into my face.

 

“Me? Stubborn?.”

Baekhyun let go of my wrist, knowing he messed up.

 

“No, Soohyun, that-“ He stuttered. “I didn’t mean to-“

 

It felt like being stabbed. Mentally. It hurted so much. My vision was blurred by the sudden tears forming in my eyes. I shutted my eyes tightly, not letting the threatening tears fall. My fist was clenching together, my teeth biting my lips. I gritted my teeth and sobbed. Everything was a blur.

 

Before I knew it, I ran off to the place that gave me most comfort and security. The tree. I wiped my tears away violently the moment my body makes contact with the ground. I hugged my knees close to my chest and buried my face in it. Letting my tears soak the sleeves of my shirt.

 

Through my tears filled my eyes, I saw a familiar figure walking towards me. I knew instantly it was Baekhyun. I am calmer than before, but I still have burning tears rolling off my cheeks. Baekhyun sat down next to me, looking at me so pleadingly. He reached out to hold my hand, but I avoided it.

 

“You know it, you know I like you. Why are you doing this to me?” I cried out while sniffing at the same time. “You avoided me, you made me wait in the cold for 3 hours, you kissed another girl in front of m-“ I couldn't finish my sentence as my lips were covered by his.

 

It seems like everything stopped. The wind wasn't blowing anymore, the birds stopped chirping. Like, the world was in slow motion. Baekhyun kissed me fully on the lips as I could hear my heart almost exploding in my chest.

 

Both of us weren't moving until his hands snucked up to held my cheeks firmly. The corner of his lips are curving up, he was smiling. He pulled away slightly, just enough for us to look at each other in the eye.

 

“Baekhyun you-“ “I like you” he said.

 

I'm speechless.

He lifted himself a bit so he could pull out something from his back pocket. He handed a broken piece of paper, a piece paper taped together with many broken pieces. It didn't take me long to find out it was actually the letter I wrote him. The letter I ripped apart and let the wind shatter the pieces everywhere.

 

“You were there?”

 

“I was there the whole time. I watched you behind the bushes.” He confessed.

 

“Why didn't you come out?” I whispered.

 

“Because I was afraid. After hearing about how heartbroken you were from Chanyeol, I was embarrassed to see you.”

 

He lifted his eyes to meet mine.

 

“I'm in love with you,” He said sweetly.

 

“You kissed-,” I said, feeling doubtful.

 

“She stole it from me before I knew,” He whined. “Hmm, jealous? My girlfriend?” he raised an eyebrow and smirked.

 

“Girlfriend? I'm not your girlfriend.” I pouted.

 

“Why not?” He imitated me.

 

“Well, ask me properly like a gentlemen.”

 

"Hmm, okay. Give me some time to prepare." he winked at me and continued. "For now, let's just stay here and watch the stars." he smiled, almost too sweetly.

 

Baekhyun pats his thighs, indicating me to lie on his lap. I blushed as I slowly lied down comfortably. He my hair softly,

 

"I like you a lot," he confessed.

 

"Oh my god, Baekhyun. You're so cheesy."

 

“Well, do you like it?” he asked.

 

“Yes,” I said as my face turned red.

 

“Soobie.”

 

“Hmm,” I hum in reply as I observed the stars.

 

“You know sometimes I wonder if you smile at my texts like how I smile at yours.”

 

“Really?” I questioned him.

 

“Mhm,” he humed.

 

“Well, I do.”

 

“You do what?”

 

“I do smile at your texts.” I paused. “Like, a lot.” I admitted.

 

Baekhyun leaned down and tried to peck me again, but I stopped him by putting my finger on his lips.

 

“I'm not officially your girlfriend yet. I'm still just your best friend.”

 

I giggled. Baekhyun pouted as he crossed his arms.

 

“Just wait till the day I can tell the whole world you’re my girlfriend.”

 

He pinched my nose, as we both chuckled. For a while, I layed on his thighs, watching the stars with Baekhyun still my hair.  

Our story begins here.