part ii

LOOKING FOR: a boyfriend for 12 days. (btw, i'm a boy too!!)

April 14th came around sooner than he’d expected. Donghae had somehow managed to survive his exams, and he allowed himself to drown in that cathartic feeling by doing nothing except for lying inside his dorm watching movies and shows for two whole days.

Even though guilt from unproductiveness tugged at him every so often, it felt so ing good.

So good that he almost forgot he had a ‘date’ to attend today.

When he got the message, there was only an hour to go before Hyukjae’s suggested time, and if Donghae wanted to still have food money for the next half a month he was not in a position to take a taxi there. The only option left was to run. Donghae looked in the mirror at his unshaven face and unwashed hair and wanted to strangle himself.

Maybe if he went to hospital from suffocation then they could push the time a bit later?

He didn’t remember ever having a shower so quickly. With no time to select clothes, he chose his favourite pair of jeans and jacket, trusting that they would bring out his youthful handsomeness but also a manly charm sure to woo Hyukjae once and for all.

Donghae practiced his greeting while sprinting towards Hyukjae’s favourite noodle restaurant in town. By the time he arrived, his hair was dry thanks to the wind, and also styled very… extraordinarily also thanks to the ing wind.

Donghae patted it down as much as he could, taking a deep breath before walking in.

 

*

 

He spotted Hyukjae immediately.

There were two steaming bowls of jjajangmyeon1 in front of the boy. In contrast to Donghae, he was sitting calmly in a simple white tee, hair perfectly falling over his brows, and eyes lowered onto his phone. 

Donghae couldn’t help but notice how damn long and white his fingers were.

He flattened his own disobedient fringe one last time, then walked as if on a mission toward the empty seat opposite the boy.

Hyukjae noticed him two meters away. “You’re here.” He smiled. 

Donghae bit on the inside of his lip before returning the smile.

“You’re so early,” he commented, trying to ignore the tempting smell oozing from the noodles with black sauce in front of him.

“I just finished my last exam, and I was so hungry I couldn’t wait to eat any longer,” Hyukjae explained. “Sorry for ordering for you, but I guessed this is what we would definitely be having today.” He gestured for them to start eating.

“Yeah of course, I mean it /is/ black day.” Donghae picked up his chopsticks with a hint of nervousness. There was a slight, awkward pause before they both started eating. They really didn’t know the other that well yet, and no matter how much Donghae hated awkwardness he was absolutely helpless on how to break it. He chose to eat instead.

Donghae rolled a few long pieces of noodles into a ball before taking the whole thing into his mouth. As he chewed, he glanced naturally at Hyukjae, eyes growing wide as he saw the other’s peculiar way of eating noodles.

Hyukjae lifted a huge chunk of jjajangmyeon into the air with his chopsticks, creating a massive black waterfall. He then proceeded to move his head up and down the huge thing, blowing and cooling it down, before taking all of it into his mouth. 2

Donghae didn’t know whether to laugh or run away.

When he finally swallowed his mouthful, he decided to give Hyukjae one more chance and chose the former.

“Why are you eating noodles like that?” He asked amused. “I’ve never seen it like that before.”

“Ah, you’re not the first person who’s said that.” Hyukjae breathed a laugh after swallowing. “Don’t you think it’s a much better way to cool it down though?”

Donghae gave a genuine sound of agreement. But it didn’t mean he stopped thinking it looks slightly funny, and that Hyukjae looked extra adorable. The corners of his mouth curved upwards with his next mouthfuls, making Hyukjae also smile, infected by Donghae’s contagious mood.

Just like that, any awkwardness left disappeared as quick as the amount of jjajangmyeon in their bowls. 

 

*

 

“Thanks for treating me,” Donghae said with his hands in his pockets. The evening was slightly chilly, so he pulled up his zipper a bit more. “Aren’t you cold?” He asked.

Hyukjae, who only had a t-shirt on, shook his head. “It’s ok, I’m used to it,” he turned to look at the slightly shorter boy. “And who said I was treating you? You're treating me to curry next month.” His lips stretched wide to reveal a gummy smile.

Donghae’s heart skipped a beat.

A gust of wind blew through the two thin figures, and Hyukjae visibly shuddered. 

“My dorm’s close to here, let me get you a jacket.” Donghae half-ordered. He didn’t allow Hyukjae to say no before dragging him in that direction.

“I’m ok…” Hyukjae’s reassurance sounded unconvincing even to himself. “Do we really have to…” He couldn’t finish the sentence.

Soon they were inside the building, and Donghae slowed down to face him since it wasn't as cold here. “What is it? It’s just a jacket, you can give it back anytime.” He could see that something was slightly bothering the other, but he couldn’t figure out what.

“I…” Hyukjae hesitated. “Isn’t it a bit fast to go inside your room so soon?” He asked innocently.

Donghae’s face lit up in crimson like a lighter was thrown into gasoline. He had not thought about it that way at all. “You don’t have to… you can just… just stay here if you want.” Even the tips of his ears were aflame. 

Suddenly, Hyukjae chuckled. “I’m just joking,” he grinned in that victorious way after successfully tricking someone. “Didn’t you say there was a living area outside your multi-share? I’ll wait there.” 

Donghae was still beet-red as he unlocked the door. He had never had this experience before; he almost forgot that their relationship wasn’t the same as with anyone before. Donghae secretly put a post-it note on the part of his brain labelled ‘Hyukjae’ to remind himself to watch out for things like this in the future that might make the boy uncomfortable. Even if today was just a joke, next time it could totally be real.

He slid inside his room for less than five seconds before coming out with a jacket again. They went out into the streets again as quickly as possible. Donghae didn’t want Hyukjae to feel any hint of discomfort or unsafe at all. 

They talked for god knows how long that night. Hyukjae learned of why Donghae came to this uni, and Donghae why Hyukjae was studying IT. They went from past to future, books to movies, sharing pictures of their respective pet dogs and taking ones together, after a few protests from Donghae and much persuasion from Hyukjae.

The next date was the same, except everything was the opposite. This time they went shopping before the meal, Donghae declining Hyukjae’s suggestion of getting him a gift, but secretively (or so he thought) getting Hyukjae to tell him what he’d like as a gift himself. This time Donghae arrived looking smart and prepared, only to leave the curry restaurant with a steaming face and an incredulous expression on his face.

“I never imagined it could be so hot!” He exclaimed, taking gulps of water every now and then.

To his side, Hyukjae was almost bent over with laughter, clutching his stomach. “I thought you said you /could/ eat spicy!” He could feel his abs straining from the motion. What a workout.

“I can!” Donghae protested, taking another swig. “But this one is really too spicy!!” 3

“Don’t drink water…” Hyukjae managed to say between his laughs. “It’ll only make it worse.”

Donghae looked like he was about to cry. 

“Have some hot water,” Hyukjae suggested. They both went up to Donghae’s dorm again, where the red-faced boy quickly poured himself a cup of hot water as soon as it finished boiling.

Hyukjae added some cold water to make it safe for drinking. The moment it went in Donghae’s mouth, tears threatened to fall and he wanted to spit it out immediately.

It hurts so ing much!

But Hyukjae put a hand over his mouth and forced him to keep it in. “Put it on the tip your tongue,” he said with a serious expression. “It’ll go away real quick.”

Donghae blinked at Hyukjae’s face, large and blurry behind his teary vision. He tried to ignore the burning sensation on his tongue and focused on the heat traveling from Hyukjae’s fingers onto his skin. The slight whiff of shampoo coming from Hyukjae’s hair. The pair of plump lips that was getting closer, and closer…

“See, I told you it works!” Hyukjae removed his hand. 

Donghae blinked, accidentally swallowing the water. He was right. All that was left was a slight numbness, like a few struggling sparks in a fireplace that had died down. 

“Thanks,” he smiled weakly. From the curry’s spice or from Hyukjae’s closeness he didn’t know.

“’Kay, I’ve got some stuff to do tonight, see you next time.” Hyukjae smiled. He stepped forward and before Donghae could react, all he felt was the warmth emanating from Hyukjae’s body and the tightness of his arms wrapped around his back. He had no time or energy to wonder which brand of shampoo the other used, because he could hear Hyukjae's ing heartbeat, loud and fast, right next to his own ear. 

Donghae was still frozen into a statue as the door swung close and Hyukjae left.

He stumbled into his room and threw himself onto the bed, butterflies in stomach and face covered in hands.

If this was what a mere hug did to him, how the hell was he going to survive the next month, namely ‘kiss day’? 

 

 

 

 

 


1 holidays in Korea
2 hyuk eats noodles 
9:41-10:58