part i

LOOKING FOR: a boyfriend for 12 days. (btw, i'm a boy too!!)

It was early spring. The time of birth, of hope, of new beginnings, and of watching other couples producing some kind of sparkle when they smile at each other after confirming their relationship on white day.

Donghae dropped his bag on the ground, then himself into a chair behind a table in the library.

It was early spring. The semester was nearly halfway through, and in the midst of cramming for his mid-sems and surviving solely on instant noodles and chocolate, Donghae wished that he too could find someone, even if only for complaining to about the hellish conditions of living in a dorm without air-con. Or to share the joy of being lucky enough to pick up a whole five dollar note (five dollars!!) on his way to class yesterday morning. And maybe even so he could fall asleep in lectures on a comfortable shoulder without worrying about being spotted, getting woken up with a secret kiss hidden behind the large sides of a double binder.

It was early spring.

Second-year uni student Lee Donghae wanted to fall in love.

 

*

 

Resisting the urge to lift his arms over his head and perform a full-out post-study relaxation stretch, Donghae looked up at the ceiling while discreetly pulling his sore lower neck muscles.

Exams were next week and as much as the brunette wanted to go home and crash, the half-unfinished practice exams laid out in front did not allow him to indulge in such luxuries.

Maybe just a small break then.

Donghae took a drink from his bottle before swiftly unlocking his phone and tapping into the latest game he’d gotten addicted to playing. Perhaps due to tiredness, his fingers accidentally slipped down to the bottom of the screen, clicking on the bright, flashing ad that he hadn’t even bothered to read.

Before he knew it, the ad opened up a new page and he frowned from getting his break-time game interrupted. He was about to click the close button at the top corner of the screen when something unexpected caught his attention.

It was a selfie of a boy. (and a cute one at that, if Donghae might say) His large eyes were single-lidded and bright, looking out from beneath wisps of a silver fringe above a nose on the very edge of being too large, but well-balanced by plump, upwards-curved lips.

Donghae didn’t know that love at first sight existed.

Well, before today anyways.

He gazed upwards to read the bright flashing words, and immediately regretted any thoughts he just had about love at first sight.

 

LOOKING FOR: a boyfriend for 12 days.

(btw, I’m a boy too!!)

 

There was no way that this wasn’t a fraud and someone probably just stole a picture of this boy to use as bait, Donghae thought.

He clicked on the picture, taking him to a messaging page.

Ok, even if it really was fake, there was no harm, right?

His finger had moved without much thinking and to be honest, Donghae didn’t actually believe that the ad was real. But his eyes widened in surprise at the next thing that popped up.

It was a request for a video call.

Grabbing his belongings, the brunette quickly slid into the nearest bathroom, locking himself in one of the stalls.

He didn’t know what came over him. It was just a feeling that he couldn’t ignore this message. What if it was real?

Hesitatively, Donghae accepted the call. He directed the camera upwards so that the person on the other side would see nothing but the smooth white of the ceiling.

Donghae almost dropped the phone when that same boy appeared on the screen.

He looked confused at first as if he thought there was a problem with his phone. Then Donghae’s hand moved slightly and from the change of position of shadows, he gave a look of realization.

“Hello?” He asked.

, his voice was perfect too. Donghae internally despaired.

After getting no response, he continued, “My name is Hyukjae. Did you click here by accident?”

Donghae realized this was a perfect chance for him to not seem so desperate (he’d forgotten the fact that the other was probably more desperate than him, since he did put up a literal ad for a boyfriend...) and pretend to be confused in this situation.

He tilted the phone downwards so his face was now also on-screen.

“Hi, I’m Donghae.” He gave a small, nervous smile. “Uh… I’m not really sure how I got here…”

“Oh.” Something dimmed down in Hyukjae’s eyes.

Donghae wanted to hit himself for causing that dim.

“I’m— I’m just joking! Ha… that wasn’t funny I’m so sorry.”

Donghae bit his lip nervously as Hyukjae’s eyes grew bright again.

“Donghae, right?” He stared at the screen.

Donghae nodded, not knowing what to say.

“Ah... nice to meet you.” Hyukjae smiled. “As you saw, I’m looking for a boyfriend for 12 days. Once it’s over, we don’t have to do anything else if either of us doesn’t want to.”

Donghae let go of his lower lip. Then bit down on it again.

It wasn’t really his fault. In his twenty years of life he just hadn’t ever had a relationship, let alone agreed to a deal like this, that’s all. He didn’t know what made him mindlessly allow himself to arrive at this situation.

Maybe he’d been studying too much.

Yes, that was it.

“I… uh….. I don't…. I’m not sure what…” How does one form a coherent sentence again.

Hyukjae’s eyes curved down, not being able to hide the laugh. “It’s ok. I’ve never done something like this before, and I didn’t know it’d actually work.”

Donghae blinked. Was he wearing eyeliner?

“Do you have time to meet me in the coffee shop on campus? Below the library?” He asked.

“Uh…yup, I’m free now.” Donghae replied.

“Great, I’ll see you there in 10 minutes then.” Hyukjae grinned. “Bye, Donghae.” He winked.

The brunette felt like something just shot through the air and hit his heart.

Hard.

 

*

 

Hyukjae was already there when Donghae stepped through the door, warm air rushing to envelop him and chase away the lingering cold ends of Winter. He put down his cup and waved, a similarly warm smile in his eyes.

“Sorry I’m late.” Donghae sat down opposite him. He had spent at least ten minutes in front of the mirror but he wasn’t going to tell Hyukjae that.

“It’s ok, I don’t have much on anyways,” Hyukjae reassured him. “Do you want to get something to drink first?”

Donghae eyed the paper cup in the other’s hands, ghosting over his long, thin fingers.

He ordered an Americano from a nearby waiter, wondering if perhaps Hyukjae had gotten the same himself.

“Wow, I can’t drink anything bitter at all,” Hyukjae breathed a laugh. “My mother always said I’m still like a child, preferring sweets all the time.”

Donghae nodded. Ok. He preferred sweet things.

“So… what made you decide to put up an ad like that?” The brunette asked. “You don’t seem like the type to need to advertise yourself if you know what I mean…” He smiled awkwardly. Why were the connections between his brain and his mouth failing him again.

Something glinted in Hyukjae’s eyes. He waved, “Nah, it’s ok. I understand. To be honest, I don’t know what I was thinking as well,” he chuckled again. “I kind of just wanted to practice making an ad,” he admitted.

“Do you study IT?” Donghae raised his eyebrows.

“Yep,” Hyukjae nodded. “I actually designed that game app.” He gave a small but proud smile.

Donghae’s eyebrows were not physically capable of lifting up any higher. He leaned forward, excitement and disbelief lining his words as he spoke. “Really? That’s amazing! I can’t believe you actually made it!”

“Well… yeah.” Hyukjae smiled wider this time. His gummy smile blinded Donghae’s eyes for a fraction of a second.

“So uhm… about what I said…” Hyukjae began.

Donghae was still listening attentively with wide eyes. To his dismay, the arrival of his coffee forced him to sit back properly, further away from his newfound idol.

“It might be kind of surprising, and I totally get if you don’t want to do it, but… you know how I said it was just for 12 days?” Hyukjae glanced tentatively towards the other.

Donghae took a sip, then nodded with a straight face. “Yeah, what about it?”

No matter how good Hyukjae looked, he was prepared to run if the other said anything along the lines of two certain letters. That was just not for him.

Hyukjae took a deep breath, looking our of the corner of his eye before directing them to Donghae’s face again. “Well, I didn’t actually mean 12 consecutive days.” He paused.

Donghae blinked.

While it fully sank into the brunette’s brain, Hyukjae continued. “What I had in mind was that we might be able to go out on the holiday of every month. You know, like on every 14th?” Something called hope glittered at the back of his eyes.

Donghae continued blinking.

“Like, ok, I know it’s really long and you probably don’t have time but we don't need to chat between those dates only if you want to and if you don’t then we don’t need to see or even talk at all and it probably won’t even take that much time so don’t worry and—” He was cut off by lighthearted laughter.

“It’s ok, don’t panic,” Donghae chuckled. “I was just a bit shocked, that’s all.” He took another sip. A sip of courage.

“That sounds like a great idea. Do you want to start this month?”

 

*

 

The date was April 4th. It was a cool, sunny day, without a cloud in sight.

Hyukjae threw himself onto the bed when he got home. Arms wide and facing the ceiling, he smiled with closed eyes at the present he had managed to get himself this birthday.

A cute brunette boyfriend for at least a wholeee year. :3

 

 

 

 

 


a/n:

hahaha don't worry i won't update real-time (i.e. every month) and have this fic be unfinished till next year xD 

but here it goes it's started they met and they like each other already nawwww this fic will be so sweet i promiseeee

 

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE DUMB 31YO I LOVE AND I HOPE YOU CAN BE AS HAPPY AS THE HYUKJAE IN MY STORY IF NOT EVEN HAPPIER 

 

<3