Chapter Five: Full Moon Rising

Glass Clockwork

Chapter Five: Full Moon Rising

 

After that, Mirai made sure to avoid Ryosuke at all costs. Both Yuto and Rena knew something was up, but were kind enough to not mention on it. Mirai instead proceeded to spend the rest of the day in a sitting room with her diary, writing down everything that had happened as well as some poems.

 

“You write some excellent poems” said a voice at her shoulders. Mirai quickly covered her writings.

 

“Shori, could you please knock next time?” Mirai asked.

 

“Sorry Miss Mirai. Your handwriting distracted me. It is even prettier than the handwriting of Marius but please do not tell him I said that. He will never let me live it down.”

 

Mirai laughed. Shori may be older than her, but he acted like a young school boy. Quite adorable in her mind.

 

“What are you doing up in the manor? Is the shop not busy?”

 

“My work for the day is done. Now I am on child watching duty…which I should get back to. They will be waking up soon.”

 

Mirai stood up.

 

“I would like to come as well. Is that fine with you?” she asked. Shori nodded and she followed him up the stairs, down a hallway, and to a door painted in pale blue. Opening the door, Mirai could only stare at the room with wide eyes.

 

“Oh my goodness. It is certainly a nursery” noted Mirai. The walls were as blue as the sky. Thick, white curtains hung from the windows to the floor. The floor was covered in soft furs. A small table was in the middle with three chairs seated around it. A large chest was in the corner with toys peeking out of it it. A bookcase was stocked with books and one self held nothing but ink wells and feather pens. Three beds, each made up with white bedding, held a sleeping boy.

 

“I suppose that they may sleep for awhile longer but tonight is bath night. That will be a handful.”

Shori then frowned.

“Who shall help bathe them tonight? I do not trust Fuma after he almost drowned Kaoru…maybe Yuto? No…he will want to take pictures. Ren prefers Taiga but Taiga hates getting wet. Kauan likes anyone. I guess I can see if Marius would want to…no..he has piano lessons with Kento. Jesse? Oh God no, he will be toss all three out the window.”

 

Shori continued the ramble on until Mirai gently touched his arm,.

 

“If it is of no bother, then I and Rena will help you out tonight” offered Mirai.

 

“If you do not mind three little brats in a bath, then it is fine with me. Bathing time is at six-thirty. Bed is seven-thirty, no later” instructed Shori.

 

“I understand” said Mirai.

 

Rena then appeared at the door. Mirai turned to her and noticed her frazzled look.

 

“What is the matter?” she asked. Rena smoothed down her skirt, like she was trying to calm herself.

 

“Would you like to help start dinner? I went into the kitchen to start a fire for the stew and found two boys standing on the counter. Nearly gave me a heart attack.”

 

“That would be Kishi and Genki. They tend to do that quite a bit. Let us head down” said Mirai as she and Rena headed down to the kitchen to try and calm the boys down.

 

It took convincing but the girls managed to get Kishi and Genki to go into the garden and pick some fruit for tarts while they started the fire and stew.

 

“I like being in the kitchen. It is calming” said Rena as she washed the vegetables and placed them on the cutting counter. 

 

“Something feels right when you are making something that people will enjoyed” agreed Mirai as she started cutting the vegetables up.

 

“The meals are quite simple, but it is to expected since there are so many mouths to feed” noted Rena.

 

“Very true” agreed Mirai as she finished cutting the vegetables. “Rena, could you go get some water from the well and check up on the boys?”

 

Rena nodded and grabbed the bucket by the door as she headed out. Mirai enjoyed that the kitchen overlooked the garden, it was a nice view. Today was rather cloudy but every now and then the sun was able to peek through.

 

Mirai turned her attention to the fireplace and prepared to start the fire for cooking.

“You are really good at baking” said Mirai as she watched Genki press the pastry dough into the tart mold. 

 

“Thank you. It happens to be something that I enjoy. I know, it sounds too ladylike, but I really do enjoy it” said Genki with a bright smile.

 

Those dimples are going to be the death of me. He is too cute is what Mirai thought as Genki continued to press the dough down.

 

“Rena, may I ask as to how old you are?” asked Kishi. Rena stood up from where she was stirring the stew and turned to face him.

 

“I am 16” Rena replied with a small smile.

 

“Better tell Yugo to wait a couple years” teased Genki.

 

“How old is he?” asked Rena with a look of interest.

 

“He is twenty-one but acts much older” said Kishi. 

 

“Oh, I had no idea. He does not seem that old” said Rena as she got the plates out. She headed towards the dining room and started setting the places.

 

“I smell a courtship” sang Genki.

 

“They hardly know each other” protested Kishi.

 

“Umika met her partner during the morning and by evening had announced her courtship with him. They have been together only three months yet they are now engaged” said Mirai with a slightly sad look.

 

“Have you not been in a courtship?” asked Genki. Mirai shook her head.

 

“Many suitors declared me too unladylike to be courted but it is alright. My time will come. I am only seventeen.”

 

“I find you quite ladylike” said Genki.

 

“Thank you, but I do not know how my Uncle would feel about one of his workers wanting a courtship with me” confessed Mirai.

 

“You never know though. You might just find the one! Your soulmate! The one who will stand by your side forever!” exclaimed Kishi while Genki rolled his eyes.

 

“I think NakaKen is rubbing off on you” said Genki.

 

Dinner was quiet that night. Dark clouds had rolled over so nearly every candle was lit which gave everything a warm glow. Mirai and Ryosuke ignored each other and even Takki could tell that something had happened but he did not mention upon it.

 

Once dinner was done, Rena stood up and insisted that she begin drawing water for the bath. She hurried off towards the bathroom.

 

Mirai started gathering the dishes and headed towards the kitchen. As she began washing, her ears heard bits of the conversation.

 

“Full moon tonight…should we…the younger ones will be asleep…it will be fine…still be careful…we will go at ten”

 

Mirai was shaken out of her trance by Shori tapping her on the arm.

 

“We have the boys in the bath, but we need you to help wash them.” Mirai nodded and hurried after Shori trying hard not to remember what she just heard in the dining room.

 

It was eventful trying to wash and clean all three boys in the same bath, but they succeeded (Even though Shori fell into the bath in the end). Mirai and Rena then retired to Mirai’s room. Rena helped Mirai peel off her damp dress before drying her off and handing her the nightgown that hung over the chair.

 

“Thank you Rena. Will you be needing help as well?” asked Mirai.

 

“No thank you. I will managed just fine. Have a lovely night” answered Rena as she helped Mirai into the bed and leaving. After Rena left, Mirai felt herself tossing and turning. The overheard conversation from dinner kept bothering her. She wondered what they were talking about. It seemed like something was going on tonight. Something that dealt with the full moon. 

 

“How could they see the full moon in the dark cloud is beyond me” spoke Mirai to herself. She rolled onto her side and attempted to let sleep take over. It took some time, but finally Mirai felt herself drift into an uneasy sleep.

 

Plink…Plink..Plink

 

Mirai’s eyes shot open. The noise sounded like it came from the hallway. Carefully creeping over to her desk, she stuck a match, lit a candle and crept over to her door. She silently opened it and through the crack, she saw Yuto, Yuri, Keito, and Ryosuke dressed in work clothes but with straps criss-crossing their chests. She noticed that each wore a clock of some sort strapped to their thigh and she managed to even catch the gleam blades that were nestled on Keito’s back.

 

“We should check around the clock tower. Aran and Sou told Kentaro that the townsfolk swore they saw a hairy creature lurking in the shadows” said Yuto.

“I thought we drove the last one off” said Keito.

 

“I thought so too.  Pretty sure that Fu sealed the man in glass as well. We were all there” said Yuri.

 

“Let us get going. It might be a tough night” said Ryosuke. The four of them hurried off and Mirai decided at that every second that she was going to follow them. As they descended down the stairs, Mirai carefully followed them making sure her steps were light and quiet.

 

Hidden behind the trees, Mirai carefully watched the four make their way down the manor path and towards the town. A cold wind passed through and Mirai was glad for the heavy cloak she had donned. Placing the hood over her head, she hurried after them.

 

It was a thirty minute walk into the town and the buildings seemed much more taller than creepier at night. Mirai  pulled her cloak tighter and walked towards the clock tower. Pulling herself into a nearby alley, Mirai watched as the boys each pulled out sword but something was off. The blades were made of class and each glowed a different color. Mirai was entranced by the bright, glowing red of Ryosuke’s. It made him appear so much older and stronger. His eyes were bright and alert. The four of them carefully crept around the tower as though the creature was resting at the bottom.

 

Mirai was so focused on watching the glowing blades that she did not hear the heavy breathing near her ear or the footsteps they approached her. It was only when Mirai felt her neck hairs stand up and a large drop of hot drool land on her neck that Mirai turn fast and found herself face to face with a creature that was a foot taller then her with thick fur cover their whole body. The nails were as sharp as spikes and their eyes glowed as red as fire. Mirai let out a scream of terror and flew out of the alley and right onto the street.

 

All four boys started towards her, but it was too late. The werewolf threw itself on top of Mirai’s thin body and she let out a painful scream as the sharp nails torn down her side, the cloth and skin ripping. She could feel the warm blood seeping out.

 

“GET OFF HER!” roared Ryosuke as he charged the werewolf. He swung his blade down and the werewolf howled as the sword cut deep. It rolled off Mirai who whimpered. Yuri came from the back and sliced the werewolf up the spine.

 

“Keito! Mirror! Now!” yelled Ryosuke as the werewolf lunged at him. He stabbed it right in the heart as Keito whipped out a silver mirror. Ryosuke plunged his sword into the mirror and slowly pulled it out. The werewolf had been trapped and sealed. The three of them then rushed to Mirai’s side where Yuto had stripped his shirt off and pressed the waddled up cloth against Mirai’s bloody side. She cried out. Her head was swimming and the stinging pain from her side was not helping. Ryosuke leaned down and wrapped his arms around her.

“It is going to ok. I am here. You will not die. Shhhh. Look at me. Okay? Stay with me.”

A/U WHAT!!!! I'm suprised that I was even able to write this scene. Thanks for reading!